Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for getting rid of the dress my wife wanted to wear to my son's wedding?

This might be like the one post where "I know this sounds bad but hear me out" might actually work. This guy is still an rear end in a top hat but not for this specific event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

tinytort posted:

It's part of how you clean a freezer, yeah. Modern freezers are supposed to (I think) have stuff to make it something you don't need to do as frequently, or so you can just flip a switch and have it defrost itself without needing to unplug the whole thing, but there is not yet a freezer made that doesn't need to be defrosted at least once a year if it's being used regularly.

The main factor is how often it gets opened, because frost build-up comes from warm air entering the freezer when it's opened.

ya know, at first I kept thinking "what??? i've never had to do that with my current fridge" and then i remember that every year for the past few years, our power has been out for at least a couple days due to PG&E power shutoffs! thanks pg&e for keeping our fridge clean by making us throw out everything a couple times a year!!!!!!!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Das Boo posted:

You should at least wear undies around the house in case you drop dead and coroner crew has to come pick you up. Let's be polite!

gently caress that i'm not living my entire life in discomfort in my own home just for the one day someone will have to see my unfortunate nude corpse. i'll be dead anyway, humiliation will be a thing of the past.

suck it, future coroner.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
but do put on something if you're going to sit on the furniture, or at least lay a towel down. i do care about hygiene

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Balls stick to leather couches in the summer time and you're usually unaware of it until you try to get up and just for a moment you think the furniture is trying to castrate you. Kind of like Beauty and the Beast.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My wife hates Sarah because she feels that she has an attitude with her, which i don't see, but maybe I am just blind. Sarah and my wife were very close before the affair and my wife feels that Sarah thought she was better than her, because of her education/career. That does kind of sound like Sarah, so I will give my wife the benefit of the doubt.

Hahahahahaha. New wife is still insanely jealous of old wife and this dude is clueless.

I wonder if some of it is "dog catches car now doesn't know what to do" with new wife after chasing this loser.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

metachronos posted:

This might be like the one post where "I know this sounds bad but hear me out" might actually work. This guy is still an rear end in a top hat but not for this specific event.

that guy's bullshit kind of lead inexorably to this specific event and now he's upset that there's any repercussions on himself

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tarkus posted:

Me and my ex hired a cleaner for our house once on a trial basis. She cleaned our house but also decided to move almost all the furniture in the living room and completely rearranged the kitchen cupboards. We never called her to clean again.

That's hilarious. Was the new organization of the kitchen better or worse than what you had? I was very thoughtful in my kitchen when I moved in amd I'm often annoyed with Air BNBs organization or friends houses so I might actually be the weirdo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the only way some rando coming in and 'optimizing' your kitchen is going to improve it is if you use the kitchen so rarely it might as well be a stranger's anyway, it's not like there's one mathematically perfect place to stick the spatulas you've calculated

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 29, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Unless their spending like $20k there's no way they improved the kitchen with their reorg.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My grandma (dad's mom) used to reorganize our kitchen every time she came to visit into whatever configuration made more sense to her, and it drove my mom absolutely insane.

She would also do it to my and my sister's rooms under the guise of "tidying up."

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

StormDrain posted:

That's hilarious. Was the new organization of the kitchen better or worse than what you had? I was very thoughtful in my kitchen when I moved in amd I'm often annoyed with Air BNBs organization or friends houses so I might actually be the weirdo.

I'm not sure if it was better or worse, it wasn't as though we had hundreds of cupboards and we weren't a factory kitchen either so we just kinda dealt with where stuff was.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Wasn't there a story where a lady got cat hair stuck to her IUD? That's what I would worry about. idk I think underwear is necessary for hygiene issues. I'm also guessing she uses tampons or cups for her period but I wouldn't want to bleed on my couch

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AITA for not lying about why I could not remove my headscarf?

quote:

I have not been able to sleep over this, so I made a reddit just for a judgement! Thanks!

I(24F) am a bridesmaid for one of my closest friends, Jackie(24F). Ive been so excited to help! I was in charge of the bridal shower: the games, decorations, menu, I left the guest list to Jackie’s sister

Due to religious reasons, I wear a headscarf. I love and am proud of it. In the groupchat with other bridesmaids, I was talking about how excited I am to attend a girls only event. I recently dyed my hair and wanted to show it off. I even paid extra to ask for a girls only staff that day

Day of, as guests arrive I realize that one of them is Tori(26F). I know Tori as a family friend of Jackies, but the few times I met her, it was before her transition to female. I was aware of it but unaware she was coming to the shower. I dont mind at all ofc and shes a lovely person but I decided to keep my scarf on

As everyone’s eating later, Im passing by the tables to make sure everyone’s good and one of the bridesmaids mentioned that they hadnt gotten to see my hair and theyd wanted to see the change in person. I tried to dismiss it at first or say oh I’ll show you later. But the other girls at the table got curious. I got uncomfortable and I just said “Oh I’m actually not really comfortable taking it off right now” When pressed as to why, I said theres guests I don’t feel comfortable taking it off in front of. There was a collective “ohhh” and I thought cool thats over. But one girl got aggressive and asked if Im referring to Tori. Shes loud and other tables turn to look. I dont answer. the girl asks if I wear one around men, so I say yes. She says theres no men here so “clearly you should take it off”. I tell her again that Im keeping it on

Another bridesmaid defends me and tell the girl to chill out. Tori comes over and says me not taking it off is a slap in the face to her identity. Im just shocked and had no clue what to do

Eventually Tori and a few girls left saying they felt it was disrespectful. I feel awful that this ruined a beautiful day for my friend. Its causing more trouble with people threatening to leave the wedding over discrimination towards me or towards Tori

I dont think I was in the wrong. Just as Tori can be Tori, I can be me. I feel like it would be the equivalent of me making Tori or someone else adjust for me. I feel like we should just accept and respect each other, rather than be woke onesided

My question is more about being honest as to why I couldnt. Jackie is on my side, but Jackie’s sister is giving her hell for it. Saying she purposely left out that detail in the guest list to test me. Jackie says I shouldve brushed it off and said i was having a bad hair day or avoided giving an answer

I didnt ever mention Toris name in my answer, and I dont think my answer was rude, but seeing how much stress its causing Im thinking I should have made up a lie? AITA for how I handled the situation?

INFO: A lot of people are having an issue with the *woke onesided” comment. When i said no, Tori and a few others pushed it and Tori gave the ultimatum that I have to take it off as a sign of respect or they would leave. I said no. They ridiculed me, my faith, and even the bride and others for defending me. They were blatantly hateful towards my religion, and Jackie’s sister purposely arranged for this to happen.

For the religious standpoint, I am not aware of where she is in transitioning or what her sexual preferences are. I would never ask either, as that is personal. But that is information I would like before making a decision on how comfortable i feel with exposing my hair.

Religious bigotry and transphobia. This one got huge debates going in the comments, but could easily be fake, it seems too perfectly outrageous.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

don't tell people what to do with their clothes lol, you're not the fuckin boss

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

It does seem like a perfectly crafted "checkmate, liberals!" story, but there are lots of people that seem surprised to learn that WASPs don't have a monopoly on racism and bigotry and minorities aren't all Unified by Oppression.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

idk seems like deliberate bait wouldn't be so reluctant to say out loud the reason she doesn't want to take off the scarf. if it's bait they're a master baiter

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My current wife was my affair partner....

Impressive, you managed to be the rear end in a top hat before finishing a single sentence!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Chamale posted:

Religious bigotry and transphobia. This one got huge debates going in the comments, but could easily be fake, it seems too perfectly outrageous.

It does seem contrived, but that is a spicey comment section. I think Reddit made hundreds of dollars off people buying reward emoji in that thread

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's enough people furiously and indignantly issuing every possible take on the cotton ceiling but for hats in the comments that idk what the point is in calling it fake, like sure every story interesting enough to repost here could be written up to stir poo poo but these are clearly not such outlandishly unheard-of positions that you'd never get people arguing them irl. is the problem here just that the scenario's suggesting there's some inconsistency in the ethical framework we're collectively cobbling together on the fly mostly out of gut intuitions

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Chamale posted:

Tori has the right to be trans, OP has the right to keep on whatever articles of clothes she feels comfortable with. This isn't hard, people. The assholes here are the ones that refuse to compromise and just let everyone do their own thing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Tori has the right to be trans, OP has the right to keep on whatever articles of clothes she feels comfortable with. This isn't hard, people. The assholes here are the ones that refuse to compromise and just let everyone do their own thing.

The way it was set it up it looks like the group deliberately engineered this situation without the bride. Deliberately engineering an angry fracas at what sounds like the Bachelorette party should hopefully mean the bride has a much smaller bridal party.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

The way it was set it up it looks like the group deliberately engineered this situation without the bride. Deliberately engineering an angry fracas at what sounds like the Bachelorette party should hopefully mean the bride has a much smaller bridal party.

And obviously whoever orchestrated all that is an rear end in a top hat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is the problem here just that the OP's suggesting there's some inconsistency in the ethical framework we're collectively cobbling together on the fly mostly out of gut intuitions

Think this is the nail on the head. It takes two hot topic marginalized groups (or 3, given OP is Muslim and female) and pits them against each other.

I just say ESH. OP for her thinking, Tori for trying to force a woman to remove her scarf, bride potentially if what the sister says is true. I guess Tori sucks a little bit more for forcing a confrontation when it is virtually of no importance why OP chooses to keep her scarf on. Don't demand people take off their clothes, ever.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

These are both true, but at the same time the OP is telling her group of friends that she doesn't really consider the transwoman in their group a real woman. She can pretty much expect to lose the friends that support the other friend over this.

Das Boo posted:

I guess Tori sucks a little bit more for forcing a confrontation when it is virtually of no importance why OP chooses to keep her scarf on. Don't demand people take off their clothes, ever.
Sort of, however OP had told her friends beforehand that she was excited to show them her new haircolor, so it was pretty strange when someone asked her about it and she was like "oh nevermind", so she kinda set herself up her since by her own admission she didn't know Tori would even be there

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 29, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Late Fees posted:

idk seems like deliberate bait wouldn't be so reluctant to say out loud the reason she doesn't want to take off the scarf. if it's bait they're a master baiter

r/relationships: if it's bait they're a master baiter

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

But the other girls at the table got curious. I got uncomfortable and I just said “Oh I’m actually not really comfortable taking it off right now” When pressed as to why, I said theres guests I don’t feel comfortable taking it off in front of. There was a collective “ohhh” and I thought cool thats over.

Lol @ the OP cluelessly throwing chum to a group of sharks and thinking she successfully handled the situation.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Is the issue with Tori the fact that the op knew her before her transition? Like if they met after the transition would have it been non issue? it feels implied but I could be wrong

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah the headscarf thing is rough bc yes no one should demand that someone take off a piece of clothing, on the other hand, the reason she won't is because to her deep-down Tori is still a man and she's not allowed to show her hair in front of men.

She shouldn't have to take it off, but by not doing so, she's signaling she doesn't accept a person in the group as part of the group. That's just a conflict waiting to happen. That said, it definitely feels like a gotcha situation trying to pit two marginalized groups against each other, so my ultimate reaction is wtf, why did someone engineer for that to happen and for discomfort and pain to be caused.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah the headscarf thing is rough bc yes no one should demand that someone take off a piece of clothing, on the other hand, the reason she won't is because to her deep-down Tori is still a man and she's not allowed to show her hair in front of men.

She shouldn't have to take it off, but by not doing so, she's signaling she doesn't accept a person in the group as part of the group. That's just a conflict waiting to happen. That said, it definitely feels like a gotcha situation trying to pit two marginalized groups against each other, so my ultimate reaction is wtf, why did someone engineer for that to happen and for discomfort and pain to be caused.

I mean, she said so herself that she didn't know how transitioned Tori was. If she was biologically male that could create some confusion because centuries old religions didn't think to clarify biological sex vs gender identity when writing rules

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Kenshin posted:

Sort of, however OP had told her friends beforehand that she was excited to show them her new haircolor, so it was pretty strange when someone asked her about it and she was like "oh nevermind", so she kinda set herself up her since by her own admission she didn't know Tori would even be there

Also true. Which I can see as another reason people are questioning the validity. It's kind of perfectly constructed.

But I'm also supposing that means Tori wasn't in group chat? So I guess the real rear end in a top hat is the person who was in group chat and badgered OP about Tori, specifically. If that person wanted to spare Tori's feelings, she wouldn't have pulled her into it in front of everyone.

I definitely have friends from contrasting belief groups (mostly atheists and Mormons, for some reason), and I would be an absolute rear end in a top hat to broach what I know is a sensitive topic for either group at a drat bridal shower.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Kenshin posted:

These are both true, but at the same time the OP is telling her group of friends that she doesn't really consider the transwoman in their group a real woman. She can pretty much expect to lose the friends that support the other friend over this.

Let's look at the OP for a second. She's a member of a religion that requires headscarves and she observes that requirement. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she probably wasn't raised in a very progressive, trans-friendly environment. She didn't use her religion as an excuse to throw a fit and demand that Tori be thrown out of the "women only" bridal party. She did, however, feel uncomfortable taking off the headscarf and does all but admit that Tori was the reason.

Now, if her friends want to disown her over that, that's their prerogative. A good friend would see that the OP is at least trying to do the best she can in the framework she lives in. You don't change hearts and minds overnight. You work with people in their comfort zone and allow them to enlighten at their own pace. All they managed to do by escalating the situation is set back OP/trans relations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Now, if her friends want to disown her over that, that's their prerogative. A good friend would see that the OP is at least trying to do the best she can in the framework she lives in. You don't change hearts and minds overnight. You work with people in their comfort zone and allow them to enlighten at their own pace. All they managed to do by escalating the situation is set back OP/trans relations.

well yes but this is the internet

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Reddit just made enough award-gifting money to keep the lights on for a millennium by pitting trans rights, women's bodily autonomy, and respect for Muslim religious traditions in a three-way cage match of unstoppable forces slamming into one another at full speed

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You don't change hearts and minds overnight. You work with people in their comfort zone and allow them to enlighten at their own pace. All they managed to do by escalating the situation is set back OP/trans relations.

Also this, big time. There are people you throw in the trash, but OP genuinely seems conflicted and is attempting to negotiate her religious beliefs with Tori's feelings. That's the sort of person you continue to talk to and engage with. There's a very good chance she'll continue to soften and you can come out having helped a person be better.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

my first intuition here would be that the story of the transwoman barging up yelling "as a woman I DEMAND you STRIP for me!" is that crazy ol' terf strawman about perverts pretending to be trans to sexually harass people in bathrooms or whatever but there's plenty of people even here sincerely defending that and joining the call for the OP to strip, so :shrug: checks out I guess

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 29, 2021

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Also this, big time. There are people you throw in the trash, but OP genuinely seems conflicted and is attempting to negotiate her religious beliefs with Tori's feelings. That's the sort of person you continue to talk to and engage with. There's a very good chance she'll continue to soften and you can come out having helped a person be better.

Exactly! Forcing confrontations like that almost always push people like the OP back to their "side." If her friends abandon her over this, she'll go back to hanging out with more traditional muslims who will use this situation as an example of just how terrible trans people/liberals/groups of more than 3 women/whatever are and cement OPs more conservative views.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's so many stupid digital hugs, F keys, and even a poop knife award on that post.

One of the mods has also created a top-post saying not to mis-gender anyone in the OP, at least. I guess the sub is being brigaded since it was controversial enough to get on the front page.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
I avoid this problem by not having any religious friends. Seems straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

compshateme85 posted:

I avoid this problem by not having any religious friends. Seems straightforward.