Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I beat the Vortex campaign for Taurox. His final victory reward is increased cap for some high-tier large units. Meh, but better than Eltharion’s armies causing terror against the Greenskins that have in all likelihood been wiped off the map, or Vampire Counts not taking damage from the map event they were unlikely to encounter anyway, unless there’s a way to control Amenar I’m unaware of.

What does Oxyotl get for winning his final battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ugh naagrond is like right there but i haven't made contact with them yet so i can't declare war and drag the entire old world into a destructive ruin! I have 9 stacks heading to the darklands because grimgor has made a come back and actually pushed my 2 stacks back. Ungrim is soloing the 'very hard' chaos invasion with his juiced up slayer horde while the forces of men are getting left alone because of karak vlag which is annoying haha. I wanted chaos to clean up that unconfederated mess.

Trollhammer torpedoes are amazing i gotta say, keep em protected and they'll delete big monsters within a few volleys. It's kinda annoying how necessary they are though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a situation where you’d want more than one magic-user in an army?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jay Rust posted:

It's really fun to drop a ton of flocks of doom right in a row together instead of having to wait for it to cooldown.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wouldn't go out of my way for it but it's nice to have invocation of nehek available from several different sources when doing vampire hero spam builds. Also I don't know if it's cost effective but I have a lot of fun getting multiple lords and heroes together as Ikit Claw and firing off 4+ warp lightnings all at once in a little cluster.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Having seven vampires with arcane conduit backing up Isabella’s wind of death is very silly.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Using multiple arcane conduits at once gives significantly more magic than otherwise possible. Necromancers have a regeneration aura that makes them worthwhile even if you are only using them to hang out as extra arcane conduits.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Ogres can be paid not to fight you, the Orcs cannot. The Ogres primary motivation is eating and wealth, compared to the Orcs who fight just to fight. They're ultimately still kind of similar, but the Ogres really do have a lot going for them compared to the Orcs, it's just all in the way their actual civilisation is built.

The big one is they have actual guns/cannons, which isn't really reflected by the Ogre Mercenaries added.

No I get that. I mean the voices.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JBP posted:

No I get that. I mean the voices.

Okay yeah sorry. The voices are unfortunate.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kinda wonder why they even bothered making this trait.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I guess in the very edge case where you are fighting the vampire coast and they have recruited ogre mercenaries :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Broken Cog posted:

They have humans I guess.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

If you cause fear against a particular source, you're also immune to fear from that source, same for terror. It's... very much an edge case for usefulness though.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Vampires should have leadership and run away when things look bad, they're still (evil) people, not puppets like the rest of their armies.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Doesn't fear also speed up crumbling a bit? But yeah it seems pretty marginal

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Fear and Terror still work on undead units iirc in terms of making them lose leadership. And they obviously give that unit Fear and/or Terror protection.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Don't all undead units cause fear (and are therore immune to it), though?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Does disrupting a formation do anything, functionally? Monsters tend to throw a lot of troops around without necessarily killing them, as do some spells, and Ogre cavalry is downright hilarious in how it bulls right through enemy formations. I'm just not sure if this does anything. Maybe being flung into the air and having to walk back negates the damage from that individual soldier for a bit?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Life mage for healing, fire mage for hurting.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elukka posted:

Does disrupting a formation do anything, functionally? Monsters tend to throw a lot of troops around without necessarily killing them, as do some spells, and Ogre cavalry is downright hilarious in how it bulls right through enemy formations. I'm just not sure if this does anything. Maybe being flung into the air and having to walk back negates the damage from that individual soldier for a bit?

It can indeed mean the monster/lord takes less damage since they're constantly CCing the targets in front of them. Rear charges can also be good to toss individual enemy models into your own infantry blob where they will be isolated and get annihilated from all sides.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
How useful knockdown is mostly depends on what you're knocking down. Barreling through some skavenslaves or peasants doesn't really mean a ton because there's several dozen more to fill in the gap and they're just a tarpit unit anyway. Knocking down some globadiers or flamethrower units for a bit really lowers the damage they're putting out, and reliably ragdolling a hero or lord is obviously huge.

Being able to smash through a formation is also very useful for flying units to get some breathing room and escape back into the air.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 30, 2021

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Jay Rust posted:

Beastmen could get away with it with their winged lord since it gave such a massive magic reserve boost.

Otherwise you do it to have more arcane batteries to restore power. Even better if said magic users had chariots so they could fight.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Jay Rust posted:

Of the same spell lore? Typically not. But some races like the flexibility to, say, bring healing but also have better damage spells than Lore of Life brings. Casters are also often quite good in combat, and someone like Vampire Counts doesn't necessarily care that their "casters" have magic at all - they use them to murder people in melee. You might also just want to have the extra agent floating around on the strategic layer to scout and do agent things, then just bring them into combat for certain fights or when it matches up with their remaining movement.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

For different Lores, mostly, or when the casters also bring something else to the table (like necromancer regeneration auras or vampire combat stats, or troll hag +replenishment/abilities, fire mages' dragons, erc). Also depending on faction there can be a point where Winds become essentially unlimited so your magic output is limited only by cooldowns, in which case another caster let's you burn though them faster.

This definitely comes faster if you prioritize casters with Knowledgeable though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 30, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The last time I ran an Isabella campaign, the winds of magic broke in her (19 hero) army and the only way I could get magic regen was to pop arcane conduit. It was annoying, but unsurprisingly you can beat even the toughest 80-stack with 20 vampires.

I was also wondering if there's a bug with gambling for winds at the start of a battle. It doesn't seem to go up when I win, but still goes down when I lose. It's been this way every time I've checked for the past year+ so I doubt it's just luck, but I don't know.

e: VV no mods, but maybe I just haven't been gambling since coming back recently. Good to know that it was a thing though, I'll test it out.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Chakan posted:

The last time I ran an Isabella campaign, the winds of magic broke in her (19 hero) army and the only way I could get magic regen was to pop arcane conduit. It was annoying, but unsurprisingly you can beat even the toughest 80-stack with 20 vampires.

I was also wondering if there's a bug with gambling for winds at the start of a battle. It doesn't seem to go up when I win, but still goes down when I lose. It's been this way every time I've checked for the past year+ so I doubt it's just luck, but I don't know.

Are you running any mods? That's an old bug that I think was fixed more than a year ago, but some mods might still make it resurface iirc.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

What am I missing about fighting Gor-Rok? Thus far I've only been able to win against his armies by either army losses routing or autoresolve

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

ChickenWing posted:

What am I missing about fighting Gor-Rok? Thus far I've only been able to win against his armies by either army losses routing or autoresolve

He's a melee powerhouse/tank I think he buffs melee defense for his armies too, shoot him I guess.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah Gor-Rok's gimmick is that he's basically unkillable and he makes Saurus even tougher. Unless you have some dedicated assassins (and even then they'll need magical attacks because he has good physical resist), just ignore him and win through army losses.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

holy poo poo he just solo'd the last 40% of my army

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty sure Gorok gets unbreakable for one of his skills so you can't inflict army losses on him either most of the time.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This game is really fun and I love all the little things like getting vampire traits for killing vampires.

I really miss the random gimmick armies - like the School of Light(?) with 10 hellblasters that you just can't beat cleanly.

Is there a beta patch to fix cav charges yet?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This game is really fun and I love all the little things like getting vampire traits for killing vampires.

I really miss the random gimmick armies - like the School of Light(?) with 10 hellblasters that you just can't beat cleanly.

Is there a beta patch to fix cav charges yet?

In my game I just encountered the School of Pyrotechnics, whos armies consist entirely of a lord and hellblaster volley guns. Their settlement garrisons appear to be a combination of hellblasters and grenade launcher cav. The first army of theirs I encountered as actually 16 hellblasters.

They are pretty awful to fight as the dwarves. I end up having to hide all my infantry and just march my lord/heroes in to murder everything.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rogue Armies seem really rare these days. Not that I'm in any rush to have the Chaos Dark Elf spawn in the middle of my country

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Rogue armies are a very cool concept and I want a mod where you can play as one, just get a random assortment of units from 2 factions.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I had at least 8-9 different rogue armies spawn during my Eltharion campaign, 3 of which declared war on me. They are definitely still around.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

KillerQueen posted:

Rogue armies are a very cool concept and I want a mod where you can play as one, just get a random assortment of units from 2 factions.

Some of the faction unlock mods let you play as them, I tried one a while back and it was a fun and wildly overpowered romp.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I had Jerrod's Errantry Army take over a province and a half in my latest campaign in the area between Norsca and Kislev. I was Wulfrik and Throgg had decimated that area before I wiped him out and confederated. Jerrod moved in and got set up and was actually not especially easy to deal with - brettonian knights backed up with handgunners and cannons.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I buy the Sisters/Throt DLC, but don't have the base wood elves pack, do I miss out on anything other than the other starting lords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

If I buy the Sisters/Throt DLC, but don't have the base wood elves pack, do I miss out on anything other than the other starting lords?

You won't get Drycha either.