Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Is he posting about it on facebook? As long as it is contained, I think anime is fine.

I was disappointed to find out the new young chemistry teacher in my science department is anti-vax. He isn’t a good teacher though so I can poo poo talk him to my students and feel justified doing it. He is also a German immigrant and lots of the ones who choose to leave beautiful Germany to come to rural Canada have some interesting medical beliefs dating way back for generations.

Carwash Cunt fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I also miss the days you could discuss conspiracies.

As a kid I could watch the X-Files and see a storyline where they used the smallpox vaccine to make alien/human hybrids but not immediately think "Oh this must be happening in real life, too!"

Like using this same logic I should have super powers based on the number of bug bites I've sustained in my life, statistically at least one of them was radioactive.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Who What Now posted:

My dad a few years ago got a job in his factory in the tool closet or whatever signing in and out parts and tools for other workers. It gives him lots of time to browse random YouTube videos on his tablet and I was terrified he'd become a chud but instead he's been watching anime on Netflix and I wonder which is worse

maybe hes watching right wing anime

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

a lot of the most crunchy, hippie, "go with the flow" guys that I used to hang out in my drug using/dealing years are now some of the most hardcore racist, trump supporters, anti maskers and antivaxers posting things with the (((three parentheses))) around people's names and poo poo like that.

It makes sense, I guess. Some of them were super into Loose Change and one guy was even really into David Icke.

There's a reason for this. Once weed was legalized, people started growing high quality stuff and smoking pure strain weed can cause intense paranoia.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Carwash oval office posted:

Is he posting about it on facebook? As long as it is contained, I think anime is fine.

ngl somebodys dad posting about anime on facebook "at our age" is funny to me more than anything

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chris chan doesn't seem to be doing great

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Statutory Ape posted:

maybe hes watching right wing anime

He did like Attack on Titan ...

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

My cousin is being a contrarian dickhole about covid, thinking he knows better than everyone else, everyone is freaking out about nothing, and asking him if he's been vaccinated is akin to him asking us if we've been vaccinated for hepatitis and refusing to hang out with us if we said no. No amount of explaining that it would be perfectly valid to ask him about hepatitis if we were at risk of contracting it from him (ie. Having sex with him or sharing needles) and thus that's why we ask about covid Vax status - because we are at risk just buy being near him. All of this is, of course, a form of discrimination in his eyes. Like we give a gently caress; we're all extremely tired of his poo poo. He's always been like this.

My one friend from Florida who just had a kid is antivax and just being a loving dumbass about it (posting incredibly easily debunked nonsense on FB that I don't even engage with anymore).

Quite frankly I don't feel like I'd be missing much if neither of these people never talk to me again. I don't have time or energy for this poo poo lol.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My family went off the deep end and cut contact with me forever ago (ask me about the church community helping him cover up that he tried to kill my mom and I, then having us shunned for the crime of surviving lol love da church baybee), but conversely my mom has "gone off the deep end" in the opposite direction and is pretty much a radical ACAB anticapitalist now :v: That's been fun to watch

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Yaldabaoth posted:

There's a reason for this. Once weed was legalized, people started growing high quality stuff and smoking pure strain weed can cause intense paranoia.

i've been smoking shitloads of weed since I was 16 though and I'm fine

these guys were doing lots of acid and weird research chemicals though. poo poo got weird in that world and I hosed off to a different country for a while to straighten out and I guess these guys kept going.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

i dont use the term crazy to describe ppl really since its not much different than the R word if you actually care about mental health

but yes there are many contentious things going on in the world and i dont / didnt associate with people that have nearly entirely homogenous views as i

doubtlessly people that think differently than i have opinions on me wearing a mask and brightly signaling my adoration for things dark and gay

i want to hit you over the head with a xbox

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Meloncholric posted:

i want to hit you over the head with a xbox

ngl you may have found the best use for them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

these guys were doing lots of acid and weird research chemicals though. poo poo got weird in that world and I hosed off to a different country for a while to straighten out and I guess these guys kept going.

I just boil down any cleaning chemicals I can find and sprinkle it into my eyes. Havent gotten high yet but buddy my vision is poo poo now

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Danaru posted:

I just boil down any cleaning chemicals I can find and sprinkle it into my eyes. Havent gotten high yet but buddy my vision is poo poo now

I've seen one of the guys i'm talking about put liquid LSD into his eye and now he is a full blown nazi with the tattoos to prove it

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
My mother has always been a bit of right wing religious nutter but ever since her parents died she has really gone nuts for all the conspiracy poo poo, she eats up all the crap she can get from the likes of TruNews and Qanon and now she thinks germs aren't real the vaccine makes you sterile and kills you and that the Illuminati faked the moon landing with transgendered astronauts :psyboom:
She will take any opportunity she can to talk at you about the latest awful thing the "deep state" is doing, she is an absolute authority on this and can not be questioned at all.

I wish I could get her to talk to a therapist or a psychologist or someone, she was committed to a psychiatric ward once before when she was young but
these days short of her getting convicted for assault I can't make that happen.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

coldpudding posted:

My mother has always been a bit of right wing religious nutter but ever since her parents died she has really gone nuts for all the conspiracy poo poo, she eats up all the crap she can get from the likes of TruNews and Qanon and now she thinks germs aren't real the vaccine makes you sterile and kills you and that the Illuminati faked the moon landing with transgendered astronauts :psyboom:
She will take any opportunity she can to talk at you about the latest awful thing the "deep state" is doing, she is an absolute authority on this and can not be questioned at all.

I wish I could get her to talk to a therapist or a psychologist or someone, she was committed to a psychiatric ward once before when she was young but
these days short of her getting convicted for assault I can't make that happen.

sounds like you know what you must do

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I've seen one of the guys i'm talking about put liquid LSD into his eye and now he is a full blown nazi with the tattoos to prove it

Do people who work in drug labs get in trouble for these things?

"Damnit Johnson, you made a nazi batch again!!"

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

having been around similarly minded people; people can deffo indulge in poo poo to such a hardcore level that they rot their brains trying to get Even Higher, and then having unfettered access to weird youtube videos and echo chamber discussion boards creates an endless death spiral of brain worms

OMFG FURRY fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 4, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Danaru posted:

mom is pretty much a radical ACAB anticapitalist now
can i have her number?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wife's best friend's husband has gone off the rails. He used to be into generic conspiracy stuff like UFOs and the illuminati. He once tried to convince me that the pyramids were giant energy generators.
A few months back he went completely off the deep end and into extreme conspiracy nut.
COVID is either a hoax or Chinese bio weapon (he changes his mind on this.) Trump is actually part of the new world government trying to cull the masses. The vaccine isn't actually a vaccine. It's a different type of weapon than the (fake) virus.
He's a painter, and the company he works for is relocating to Coeur d'Alene. His plan is to sell the house, buy land outside the city, and live with his wife and three kids in an RV. He'll keep working and wait for the government to either collapse or come for its citizens. At that point he'll escape into the wilderness in the RV.
His wife is so apolitical that she's letting all of this happen with two caveats: she is getting vaxxed (and the kids when they're eligible) ; they're getting a house, not an RV.
Dude's going to end up living on a neo nazi compound and in a shootout with authorities.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

My dad a few years ago got a job in his factory in the tool closet or whatever signing in and out parts and tools for other workers. It gives him lots of time to browse random YouTube videos on his tablet and I was terrified he'd become a chud but instead he's been watching anime on Netflix and I wonder which is worse

dad sugoi. so what

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Statutory Ape posted:

ngl you may have found the best use for them

(xbox is huge)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

A Fancy Hat posted:

I also miss the days you could discuss conspiracies.

As a kid I could watch the X-Files and see a storyline where they used the smallpox vaccine to make alien/human hybrids but not immediately think "Oh this must be happening in real life, too!"

Like using this same logic I should have super powers based on the number of bug bites I've sustained in my life, statistically at least one of them was radioactive.

They used to be fun. You could sit around and get stoned with your friends and shoot the poo poo about JFK or aliens or 9/11 or whatever and everything was fine. Nobody made it their identity or voted because of it or made plans to bomb a pizzeria about it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

its all nice on rice posted:

Wife's best friend's husband has gone off the rails. He used to be into generic conspiracy stuff like UFOs and the illuminati. He once tried to convince me that the pyramids were giant energy generators.
A few months back he went completely off the deep end and into extreme conspiracy nut.
COVID is either a hoax or Chinese bio weapon (he changes his mind on this.) Trump is actually part of the new world government trying to cull the masses. The vaccine isn't actually a vaccine. It's a different type of weapon than the (fake) virus.
He's a painter, and the company he works for is relocating to Coeur d'Alene. His plan is to sell the house, buy land outside the city, and live with his wife and three kids in an RV. He'll keep working and wait for the government to either collapse or come for its citizens. At that point he'll escape into the wilderness in the RV.
His wife is so apolitical that she's letting all of this happen with two caveats: she is getting vaxxed (and the kids when they're eligible) ; they're getting a house, not an RV.
Dude's going to end up living on a neo nazi compound and in a shootout with authorities.

The thing is that even the relatively benign conspiracy theories are pretty problematic when you drill into them. Like, it's no coincidence that the ancient aliens theories never attributes Roman or Greek construction to aliens. And Illuminati stuff is practically word for word the same as Jews-run-the-world theories. I'd argue the escalation here isn't so much the content as actually changing his life over it.

Maybe he'll combine it all and become one of those Nazis who thinks white people are from another planet.

Comedy option: swing to the opposite extreme and become a die hard Posadist.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

if I can count myself as my family, I don't say "Hi" back anymore to passing strangers when I'm hiking or walking. I just give them a weird look. I used to kinda smile or say 'Hi' back before all this. Now, really, I don't want to.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A few close friends fell down the rabbit hole that is facebook over the past year. Had to mute them. Just constant posting dumb memes, screaming and arguing with strangers about almost any news topic, etc.

Nothing insane like MAGA or Qanon thankfully.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Yeah, basically everyone. My family was super small to begin with and consists of like two people but trulmp destroyed their brains

I had two friends I used to work with both separately disappear and attempt to live off grid at the start of covid. Another one of my friends turned his house into a bitcoin farm with rooms full of computers and an unfathomable energy bill every month that at the time he was blowing through his savings to keep up paying. We haven't talked in like 6 months though, all he talks about is bitcoin.

I'm not kidding when I say I live in almost total isolation compared to the way I used to be 2-3 years ago. I think I really love it though and am going to stay this way for a while.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

His plan is to sell the house, buy land outside the city, and live with his wife and three kids in an RV. He'll keep working and wait for the government to either collapse or come for its citizens. At that point he'll escape into the wilderness in the RV.

Dudes like that just affirm my belief that most of this is just rooted in boring people unable to accept that their lives aren't action movies.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Trump is actually part of the new world government trying to cull the masses.

This is true, though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Decon posted:

Dudes like that just affirm my belief that most of this is just rooted in boring people unable to accept that their lives aren't action movies.

I think you're completely right on this. My BiL has no hobbies or interests. Even when he was "normal" his free time was just watching sports or playing video games. Now he doesn't do any of that, because they're all "too woke".

He lives in a very small town, works in the same grocery store his parents and grandparents owned, and that's his entire life.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

A Fancy Hat posted:

My BiL has no hobbies or interests.

Hence my new reply to someone littering their property with "Trump 2024" garbage is simply: "Get a fuckin' hobby."

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Sometimes i look at these people and im like "dont you get loving tired?"

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I lost my mom and my brother. They were already working their way into the fringes, my brother with homeopathy and my mom with reiki/healing crystals, but trump really pushed my mom especially over the edge.

She'd been into Q since barely I even knew it existed and has been sending me increasingly paranoid messages, all "there's gonna be some huge deep state action, lots of the inner circle are going to die, I'm letting you know now so you can prepare." The only thing she had for proof were these weird YouTube videos where some voice to text program babbled nonsensically, or conspiracy videos with no actual evidence that felt like a big Eric Cartman style joke. None of the deep state massacres ever happened, obviously, and Tom Hanks clearly hasn't been executed for his role in the international pedophile ring.

My brother's a big Alex Jones guy and a Sandy Hook truther. Brushes his teeth with Infowars brand fluoride-free toothpaste. I haven't formally cut them out of my life but I don't think we'll ever really talk anymore unless we have to.

I keep getting hung on how they think trump and them are trying to bust an international pedo ring. When has any republican ever given a drat about a child? If they cared enough to go to deep state war to stop the children being molested, you'd think they would also like, make sure they had food and could go to school

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

a lot of the most crunchy, hippie, "go with the flow" guys that I used to hang out in my drug using/dealing years are now some of the most hardcore racist, trump supporters, anti maskers and antivaxers posting things with the (((three parentheses))) around people's names and poo poo like that.

It makes sense, I guess. Some of them were super into Loose Change and one guy was even really into David Icke.

IMO it is because they were never left wing, just anti authority and contrarian. They follow the loudest anti establishment voice they can find, which in recent years is catspaw chuds. Their 'enemy' is the same realpolitikal institutional mediocrity as ever.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nobody in my family has gone nuts but being in Alberta I've found that people who were relatively level-headed have taken a real dark turn in how they think. Everything will be normal and then all of a sudden BANG! Hillary Emails AND TRUDEAUS KILLING CHILDREN!!!!

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Hippies always kinda had a sinister undercurrent IMO

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Decon posted:

He's an addict. After kicking heroin he got addicted to collecting rocks. That must have been so boring that he became addicted to conspiracies.
He was watching a Trump speech of some sort once and just kept going on about all the illuminati hand signals he was making.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 4, 2021

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Stalizard posted:

Brushes his teeth with Infowars brand fluoride-free toothpaste.

Is this a real product?

e: oh my word you can buy this on Amazon right now

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 4, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Bramble posted:

Is this a real product?

e: oh my word you can buy this on Amazon right now

There is fluoride-free toothpaste for infants/toddlers under age 2. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I thought that was the reason it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Nearly all my family is 'pilled in one way or another but my middle brother takes the cake by growing in to a legitimate, straight up nazi. The last time I talked with him was in January after the attack on the capitol. He thinks there were 2 million people at the rally and the ones that attacked the capitol were actually secret Antifa who have sleeper cells all over the country. Also, antifa infiltrated the police, that's why they let them in to the building without any resistance.

He claims he isn't racist but says "The blacks" a lot.

Oh, and he likes lolicon.

He believes that pornography of real women drains you of your energy. Hentai is okay because it's not real women and hentai is made by men so he doesn't have to worry about his energy