Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I assume most of the Seattle hatred towards the Angels is a result of Michael Nelson Trout so I think that's fair

If not, why do you hate us, because we lost to you in 1995??

Good Dog posted:

Season ending hip surgery for Rendon.

Is it a rule that the Angels need to always have at least one albatross contract on the books?

Yeahhh that contract really isn't looking too great right now.

But did you know he received MVP votes last year :shepface:

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The mid 2000s Angels were extremely annoying and had the very hateable Mike Scioscia at the helm

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

imagine paying for Rendon when we could be getting paid for Arenado

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sab0921 posted:

It's fun to talk poo poo, so let him talk poo poo, who cares?

If you're not enjoying this season as an Astros fan, I got nothing for you, it's been fun as hell mostly fun because everyone hates the Astros and the team has consistently been clowning anyone and everyone who talks poo poo.

I'm enjoying this season but not for that reason

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this dispute will looks silly after manfred legalizes can bangs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs have a player on the team named "frank schwindel"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs have a player on the team named "frank schwindel"

playing OOTP but for real

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs immediately trolling us by not only bringing up Minor League Guys but choosing the ones with names that do not seem real

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs immediately trolling us by not only bringing up Minor League Guys but choosing the ones with names that do not seem real

This guy was actually in the Mets org at the beginning of the year as it turns out

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Braves have now won 2 straight.

They had been alternating wins and losses since July 11.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I moved out west-ish for a job and now i'm in dodger territory so naturally I have playful beef with some coworkers. I was given a 2017 World Series Cheaters sticker so I proudly display it at my desk because what else am I going to do? Get mad? It's baseball. I hope they win it all again but most importantly, I hope yankees fans continue to chant "gently caress altuve" while playing other teams because that's pretty funny.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Braves have now won 2 straight.

They had been alternating wins and losses since July 11.

now to see if they can record their first sweep since May, and finally go over .500 at the 8th time of asking.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Are the Cubs really trotting Frankl Schwindel out there regularly? Frank was released from Royals a team that lost 103 games that year

Fake edit: I just checked his Wikipedia page. Oof.

Wikipedia posted:

Schwindel appeared in the Triple-A All-Star Game in 2018.[5]
Schwindel received a non-roster invitation to 2019 major-league spring training.[6] He was named to the Royals' Opening Day roster.[7][8] On May 14, he was designated for assignment.[9] He was released on May 18, 2019.

Real edit: minor league all-star, to opening day starter (yes, I just checked the game log to confirm), to released from the org in 10 months.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 5, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Went to the Jays game and sat 10 rows up from home plate tonight. It owned.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

The Astros fans who try to pretend the cheating didn't matter or the Dodgers are just as evil because ~reasons~ remind me of the lovely Cubs fans I know who try to argue that Chapman did nothing wrong or is reformed or that the Cubs shouldn't be ashamed that they traded for a known wife beater in exchange for a ring. Mental gymnastics are a hell of a weird drug.

I still donate every month to RAINN, for various reasons, but it does help to assuage the guilt of cheering for the 2016 Cubs with Chapman on them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Gonna say what I say in "Bonds: bad or the worst?" discussions: That known wife beaters are playing is more a reflection of where things are with the league and the union at that moment in history than any one team. We still obviously have a long way to go.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

elentar posted:

now to see if they can record their first sweep since May, and finally go over .500 at the 8th time of asking.

Tomorrow's match up is Touki against a Cardinals pitcher, so really it could go either way.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SourKraut posted:

I still donate every month to RAINN, for various reasons, but it does help to assuage the guilt of cheering for the 2016 Cubs with Chapman on them.

I'm not talking about people who acknowledge Chapman was poo poo and try to do stuff to assuage their guilt over being happy for 2016 despite him - I also firmly fall into that camp. I'm talking about the several Cubs fans I know IRL who are of the opinion that either "all that matters is what happens on the field and I don't care what players do in their personal lives", or maybe even worse the guy I know who still argues to this day that Chapman's partner dramatized the whole event for attention and really he didn't actually do anything wrong and the league's punishment was way too severe.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kalensc posted:

Cubsposting (or Yanksposting or ***posting) is an honest expression (exaggerated at times, sure) of opinions based on recent games and injuries and news articles and whatnot. Sometimes there's a consensus, sometimes there's a disagreement amongst posters, either way it evolves naturally.

Forced "smack talk" is empty performative nonsense. Why create artificial animosity with posters over who won/lost? And to commit to it in support of the Astros and the cheating scandal? It's just a baffling choice, like you aren't part of their team, so why are you carrying their water.

Peak entertainment happens when posters are just posting and then whoops Manas shared a steak pic, or LloydXmas is going walking, or BILLY MAYS GDT, etc.

:agreed: completely

For all the crap mcmagic’s gotten this year in these threads (including from me), give me it a thousand times over the one or two *stros posters trolling and defending cheating for the lols anytime a Dodgers fan posts in this thread the last two years (maybe more but I’ve only been browsing them with regularity for that long and I’ve seen it every month I’ve been here). They suck poo poo completely, and also at least mcmagic is genuine

For anyone complaining about me keeping the derail going btw, I’d rather post these words about this than about my Nats because the most exciting thing they’ve done all year is self-implode almost as bad as the Cubs at the deadline

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Maybe they’ll call up Sleve McDichael too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

Its kind of annoying that right as the Pats take a step back a bunch of Astros fans have decided to take up the contemptible banner of self righteous "I don't even understand why you're mad" nonsense.

What the Astros did is worse than anything the Patriots did or didn't do. The other thing that doesn't help is the players didn't face any kind of penalty for it and are just like the fans with the "I don't get why your mad". Then you had MLB step in to protect them further because Dusty Baker cried about them maybe getting thrown at and how it wasn't fair

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nodoze posted:

What the Astros did is worse than anything the Patriots did or didn't do.

I'm not sold on that at all.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
There’s a player in the Mariners farm system named Bobby Honeyman.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Sorry why are we relitigating the baseball righteousness of the Astros again? I can't be the only one who finds that incredibly tedious.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Presumably because baseball sucks and there is no hope, no future, no CBA and most importantly we don't know anyone's name on the Nationals.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casnorf posted:

Presumably because baseball sucks and there is no hope, no future, no CBA and most importantly we don't know anyone's name on the Nationals.
Pretty sure Juan Soto still lives

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure Juan Soto still lives

How can anyone know for sure?

I don't even think he homered last night. I watched the whole danged game and have no idea.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

This guy was actually in the Mets org at the beginning of the year as it turns out

He got hurt in May or June. Didn't realize he was a Cub now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Sorry why are we relitigating the baseball righteousness of the Astros again? I can't be the only one who finds that incredibly tedious.
Because the Astros came to Dodger Stadium this week and Kirios couldn’t handle the boos and inflatable trash cans.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Good Dog posted:

"gently caress the Angels" might be the most uttered phrase if you add up all the posts ever made in MLB N/V threads

I always thought it was because back in the early/mid 2000s, like 50% of fans in SAS were either Red Sox or Yankees fans, and the Angels were always the team one of them played in the first round of the playoffs.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Bismack Billabongo posted:

he'll probably bounce around ML rosters eventually as a AAAA/injury guy.

I'm sort of sad that there's not really a group of Mariners posters anymore but considering the circumstances surrounding the 2 most visible ones (OK Cecil and A Rad Mustache) it may be for the best.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Edwin Jackson is now an Olympic Medalist (USA plays Japan for the gold saturday morning).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly don't know why you guys are still going on about this. I even chilled last night out of respect since you guys seemed tired of it and yet you still talked about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mid/late 2000s Angels were the posterchilds of SAS hate, mainly because the team was anti-sabermetrics (a team that deployed David Eckstein regularly) and Mike Scioscia was a massive rear end in a top hat despite his tragic illness. They also won a lot, but more or less sucked in the playoffs after their WS victory in 2002 (which denied Barry Bonds his best chance at a WS ring).

Now they're just more or less wasting Trout and Ohtani behind garbage pitching which feels like a trend that's been happening for several years now.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kirios posted:

I honestly don't know why you guys are still going on about this. I even chilled last night out of respect since you guys seemed tired of it and yet you still talked about it.

Lol it was over doofus, why post this

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There was one a hour before I posted mine? Look I'm cool with chilling on this a little bit but it's a two way street.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The only Honeyman I was previously aware of was James Honeyman-Scott of the Pretenders (RIP), so this is welcome news.

As far as the Angels’ hateability, the baseball fan in me is merely annoyed at them for wasting Trout and Ohtani; as a Giants fan, it’s been a while since I’ve been able to muster up any real enmity towards them.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

seiferguy posted:

Mid/late 2000s Angels were the posterchilds of SAS hate, mainly because the team was anti-sabermetrics (a team that deployed David Eckstein regularly) and Mike Scioscia was a massive rear end in a top hat despite his tragic illness. They also won a lot, but more or less sucked in the playoffs after their WS victory in 2002 (which denied Barry Bonds his best chance at a WS ring).

Now they're just more or less wasting Trout and Ohtani behind garbage pitching which feels like a trend that's been happening for several years now.

The Angels traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells so they could play Jeff Mathis full time. It might be peak Angels. The Angels only got $5m of the $86m owed to Wells over the last 4 years of his deal in salary relief.

Napoli would go on to torch the Angels at all times, hitting .317/.425/.623 with 21HR in 316PAs throughout the rest of his career.

edit: Holy gently caress Jeff Mathis managed to play 3 games this season

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Good Dog posted:

The Angels traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells so they could play Jeff Mathis full time. It might be peak Angels. The Angels only got $5m of the $86m owed to Wells over the last 4 years of his deal in salary relief.

Napoli would go on to torch the Angels at all times, hitting .317/.425/.623 with 21HR in 316PAs throughout the rest of his career.

edit: Holy gently caress Jeff Mathis managed to play 3 games this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNHrxRC1bBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The thing about loving angels is angels are ghosts living in heaven and you can't gently caress an angel unless you accept Jesus as your lord and savior then die and become a ghost living in heaven.