Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

kitten emergency posted:

also Jesus Christ where do babies keep all this poop, just had a diaper full of liquid poo poo the approximate color and consistency of Mississippi delta mud

it really is unbelievable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my toddler is way more of an impressive eating machine than her sister ever was, when i pick her up from the highchair after a gorging session she feels significantly more dense

the daycare ladies say that she recognizes the cook and will beeline for her chair lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the birth of my second child was filmed for a documentary

I was at uni at the time and one of the dudes must have watched it when it aired because he told me that he saw my wife’s snatch. thanks jade that same dude went all the way thru pharmacy school and got his bachelor of pharmacy but then found out that you can’t be a pharmacist if you have a criminal conviction and he had some kind of drinking in a public place charge against his name so he couldn’t do the intern year and actually become a pharmacist. he was also the only dude who did stripping to help pay for uni. he was a nice dude really just a slippery sense of morals

anyway the director got pissed off at me because we had done an on camera pre birth interview and then before the birth itself about a week later I completely shaved my head with no comb on the clippers and he was like “there discontinuity in your look” or some bullshit

so to answer the question, did you have a camera man in the birthing suite with you when your wife gave birth, the answer is yes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
did they broadcast your wife's vagina on tv before or after the swinging

because "as seen on tv" would've made a great personals ad

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my toddler is way more of an impressive eating machine than her sister ever was, when i pick her up from the highchair after a gorging session she feels significantly more dense

the daycare ladies say that she recognizes the cook and will beeline for her chair lol

lol that's great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ahahaha brutal but deserved

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

it really is unbelievable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

we didn’t get any of the birth classes stuff cuz covid. I was expecting a lot more tbh, they kinda just shuffled us out of the hospital with a cpr class and making sure we knew how to put her in the car seat

you didn’t at least get linked a bunch of videos to watch?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

you didn’t at least get linked a bunch of videos to watch?

nope, maybe my wife did and didn’t bother sharing them with me

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rotor posted:

the Lamaze classes
fuckoutta here with that poo poo, it is SO dumb.

rotor posted:

my favorite part of that class was when the nurse asked a roomful of expectant parents "ok, lets baseline this. What is the worst thing that could happen?" and people were like "oh i could miss the window for my epidural" or "i might have to get a c-section" or whatever and she let this go on for a couple minutes and then said "yeah all of those are inconvenient but the worst case is that both the mother and the child dies" and that shut everyone up real fast.
we had the same question at ours and I thought "everybody dies, or is horribly maimed" while the other couples rattled off the usual suspects but decided not to bring it up. Then the nurse put her foot in it and the reactions were so funny and I again had to control myself and not giggle.

Never felt so loving useless as towards the end of labor.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

LMAO that's the spirit.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 11, 2021

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
This morning I had to use every possible strategy available to me to get my 2yo son ready for daycare and leaving the house. Left half dressed with no shoes and not having done his teeth, he changed his mind and made me go back to brush them to buy some extra time not going to daycare.

Once we got out onto the street he asked for his shoes to be put on then he happily walked the entire way to daycare, walked right in the door and said goodbye to me.

:argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
toddlers troll their parents so hard

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

https://twitter.com/threetimedaddy/status/1410336775063707652?s=21

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Never felt so loving useless as towards the end of labor.

so the story i tell is as follows

rotowife was in labor for ~24hrs before they decided on c-section and for those who dont know, c-sections are local anesthetic only so the husbands job is to sit there and talk to the wife and make sure shes breathing and distract her from the fact that she is conscious and being cut open. So I'm sitting there talking to her trying to tell her that it was all gonna be ok and to breathe and after a minute i realized that i needed to up my game because she was not being distracted enough.

So, knowing my wife, I pull out the big guns:

"So honey I was thinking we should refinance the house, I heard rates are pretty low, what do you think?"

and that managed to completely engage her because she's thinking about what rate we have and the payoff time and all these other things and after a few minutes the doctors, also being SF residents, were like "hm maybe *I* should refi" and "hey did you ever sell your house?" and so forth and it was all done and she was all sewn up by the time we'd started wondering what the Fed was gonna do next quarter, so they gave her a bunch of opiates and she finally got some rest.

Anyway that's probably the single biggest success I've had as a father.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
when my kid was born it was after 12 hours of my wife in labor. involving lots of scraeming and seemingly ineffective fentanyl. culminating in a late, botched epidural. then the uhhh something level wasn't where it needed to be and they were blasting her with something and saying if she didn't respond in the next 30 seconds she'd need an emergency c-section. well 10 seconds later she did respond. they then had to use the suction thingy to pull the kid out but it went very quick and worked on the first try

basically it all went very agonizingly slow then very fast. by the end i was pretty shook after seeing what i remember as the equivalent of a rabbit get pulled out of a particularly bloody hat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ooo the suction cup

a coworker had that happen, was the baby super coneheaded for a while?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

ooo the suction cup

a coworker had that happen, was the baby super coneheaded for a while?
not for us particularly but in some of the post-birth classes in the hop (i.e. how to swaddle, how to bathe) there was a kid who had an angry looking suction mark (they take a bit to go away i guess). we got very lucky

she was a little bit coneheaded (it was more noticeable in photos than in person) for the first few monthsbut she also did have a natural birth which causes that anyway

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ours was tongs. he had a cool red line down his face for a few days

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my coworkers kid looked like an alien, seriously. head was probably twice as tall as it was wide, just wild.

I guess its completely fine and everything returns to normal within a month or two but wow it was nuts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i think i mentioned it before, but when they were inducing our first everything started to kick off at like 4:30 am so i woke up to a buncha excitement and was given the job of helping brace the legs as they were giving her the epidural

as the bigass needle is going in (which i never even saw) all the color starts to drain from my vision and the room suddenly gets really hot and then everyone is yelling my name

it turns out that one of the ways you can make yourself syncopate is by going from a relaxed sleep to slamming a buncha adrenaline and stress chemicals into your system. this is broadly similar to when shaggy and scooby are surprised by a g-g-g-ghost

fortunately the epidural wasn't screwed up and i didn't wake up in the ER and miss the delivery, though they told me that is a thing that happens sometimes and that their rule for it was if "they make it to the floor" (i recovered quickly enough to stay in a chair)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

when we were hanging out in the nicu we'd listen to the nurses prep the other parents to see their kids and the most :stonk: one was when they had to get some people ready to see their kid with an IV line into the head for glucose

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

when we were hanging out in the nicu we'd listen to the nurses prep the other parents to see their kids and the most :stonk: one was when they had to get some people ready to see their kid with an IV line into the head for glucose

:stonk:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

ours was tongs. he had a cool red line down his face for a few days
my niece had the forceps and it hosed up one side of her mouth, yikes. it got better with a month or two of physio? therapy for it but yikes

rotor posted:

my coworkers kid looked like an alien, seriously. head was probably twice as tall as it was wide, just wild.

I guess its completely fine and everything returns to normal within a month or two but wow it was nuts
it's super wild but yeah it doesn't happen for c-sections. it's why babies have soft spots and not fully joined skull bone plates after all

anyway even though i had seen some pretty real photos i still wasn't ready for how much red white and blue there was in that delivery room lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

with an IV line into the head for glucose
o holky fu k

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

having a baby that needs medical procedures done is pretty great if you like to inflict trauma onto people though. we took kiddo to get some blood drawn (they couldn't do a heelprick due to volume required, had to be a vein draw) and when the phlebotomist realizes we're there to get the baby drawn the color drains from his face.

we've been advised to specifically ask for pediatric nurses in the future.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

ayup

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fortunately the epidural wasn't screwed up
the saddest part was the cocky anesthesiologist overpenetrated with that needle and missed the sweet spot. because my wife was by then past where fentanyl could be used, wracked with pain and spasmed just a little bit while it was in. because the anesthesiologist was late

luckily the only side effect was my wife had a headache for about a week, which could be relieved with coffee. which she normally does not drink lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

so the husbands job is

so speaking of, I forgot to mention what the PRIME JOB of the husband is during the caesarian section procedure: the husband must under no circumstances look over the privacy curtain they put over your wifes midsection.

Never look over the curtain. Do not be tempted. I guarantee you there is nothing you want to see on the other side of that curtain.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

my wife's epidural for c-section went ok but they had to do an arterial line to monitor her bp because she has some valve problem, anyway, I was trying to keep her mind off the dudes putting the line in and I noticed they loving missed on the first go-round and oh boy there was a lot of blood all of a sudden.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

having a baby that needs medical procedures done is pretty great if you like to inflict trauma onto people though. we took kiddo to get some blood drawn (they couldn't do a heelprick due to volume required, had to be a vein draw) and when the phlebotomist realizes we're there to get the baby drawn the color drains from his face.

yeah we had this, the dude was like "ok yeah wait here let me go get someone"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

kid's doing pretty good. we got a referral to early intervention stuff and they did an assessment, said her cognitive stuff is fine, bit of a delay on motor skills tho so we get like six months of in-home baby physical therapy, score.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

didn't have the heart to tell them that she probably face planted when they put her on her tummy because she spent most of last night screaming rather than sleeping

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

kid's doing pretty good. we got a referral to early intervention stuff and they did an assessment, said her cognitive stuff is fine, bit of a delay on motor skills tho so we get like six months of in-home baby physical therapy, score.
hell yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

Never look over the curtain. Do not be tempted. I guarantee you there is nothing you want to see on the other side of that curtain.

it wasn't a c-section but i couldn't help looking

the most apt comparison i've heard was "it's like watching your favorite restaurant burn down"

kitten emergency posted:

:yossame: had to have blood work done at like 8 months for allergies, specifically asked for a pediatric nurse. i kept babby from noticing through most of it, riiiiight until she glanced over at the end and was inconsolable

she still has the bear from that visit

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

kitten emergency posted:

didn't have the heart to tell them that she probably face planted when they put her on her tummy because she spent most of last night screaming rather than sleeping

Aaah classic baby move

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the most apt comparison i've heard was "it's like watching your favorite restaurant burn down"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

weak, i looked and it was fine. doctors get pretty sweet tools too, all stainless

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the only thing I really recall from the actual c-section was that the doctors spent 90% of the time complaining about how they just changed over to epic from whatever their old EMR was and it struck me as hilarious that jobs are jobs at the end of the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
all the boomer doctors who hate emr and epic are hunt and peck typists lol

like yeah there's apparently plenty to criticize, but i'll only believe it has merit coming from someone who knows how to use a keyboard