Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was just thinking it's too bad David Bowie and Prince both passed away, they would have been perfect for this new collaborative time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was just thinking it's too bad David Bowie and Prince both passed away, they would have been perfect for this new collaborative time period.
There was a spat of that in the 90s too though
Omikron, Devo Presents Adventures of the Smart Patrol, the Quake soundtrack

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I am so down in it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Anthony Vincent of Ten Second Songs did a decent WITT cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5VMc9DSME

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

sticklefifer posted:

I dont know why I thought that abbreviation stood for WITh Teeth

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

hughesta posted:

I dont know why I thought that abbreviation stood for WITh Teeth

Same thought

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They're releasing a 'revitalized edition' of Quake 1, probably a longshot but it would be nice if Trent and Atticus did some new tracks... At the very least it would be nice if they included the soundtrack with the game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Pretty good, hews a bit too close to the original for what I tend to like from covers but he's got the verses down perfectly.

This really does speak to Trent's range though with the screaming bits because this guy seems to be on the verge of topping out compared to how full Trent gets his high notes in the song.
I've never really thought of Reznor as a particularly amazing singer but maybe I've been selling him short

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HalseyUpdates/status/1426259513938698242?s=19

IICHLIWP Track Lengths

The Tradition (3:46)

Bells in Santa Fe 🅴 (3:38)

Easier than Lying (3:26)

Lilith 🅴 (2:47)

Girl is a Gun (2:27)

You asked for this 🅴 (4:26)

Darling (3:02)

1121 (2:43)

honey 🅴 (2:54)

Whispers 🅴 (3:12)

I am not a woman, I’m a god (2:56)

The Lighthouse (4:33)

Ya’aburnee (3:08)

Nightmare (reprise) no info yet

Unknown bonus track

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 15, 2021

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

hatelull posted:

YOU HAVE MY SWORD!

to destroy the angels. teach me how. make an album for it. please.

Thing with that is Rob Sheridan was officially part of the band and he's no longer in the nin crew.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Not as a dig on Rob, but of all the members, he would be by far the easiest of members to replace.

Hell, maybe he would come back for for a new HTDA session as I can't imagine the cycle on that would be as long as a NIN project.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Did Rob play an instrument in HTDA or was he just involved in the visuals? The visuals on that one tour they did were really cool.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I'm pretty sure he didn't play anything, just did visuals/graphic design/etc. That being said, it isn't impossible that he could have been controlling light cues from stage and miming playing a synth or something. I think in the episode of Tomorrow We Die! he did, they talk about how he was a weird guest in that he doesn't actually play any instruments, but knows the touring life well (and was a childhood friend of one of the hosts).

It wasn't uncommon for Trent to throw people up on stage to fill things out. It is even a bit of an art director tradition! 'Talpas also appeared briefly in an early live NIN performance lineup. According to Trent Reznor, they "needed an extra body" on stage. Even though he didn't know how to play the keyboard, they had him mime playing it. '

e: That is pretty much exactly what he was doing. 'The live setup includes highly immersive visual effects to work with the music, manipulated live by Rob Sheridan from the stage.'

Robert Facepalmer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 15, 2021

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

New Ixi video. She's fantastic. I've honestly been re-appreciating the NiN catalogue so much more thanks to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYerV5JYR8

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Langolas posted:

New Ixi video. She's fantastic. I've honestly been re-appreciating the NiN catalogue so much more thanks to her.

:same:

It’s amazing how her videos can bring up sense memory from 20 years ago for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, ixi's great. Even though I don't know what she's talking about when she uses technical terms most of the time, I could listen to her analyze music all day :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone here a Slipknot fan? I'm not really, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9_eieobRCE

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Did not realize it was this soon but Halsey album drops next friday

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1428401232993914882

I didn't have tickets to any of those shows but that's still a bummer :smith: It's the right thing to do, though. We're not out of the woods with the whole COVID thing yet.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Did not realize it was this soon but Halsey album drops next friday
Yessssssssssssss, that's exciting!

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
got Riot tickets pretty much just to see NIN. I'll still have a good time and it's totally understandable, but still a huge bummer.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think I'm just gonna get a refund for riot fest....

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

After hearing the bad news, ixi did a livestream where she played a bunch of NIN songs on piano :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFaQ9HDo6LQ

e: Also, OG Quake got released with updated graphics and stuff on consoles/PC today. I'd never played the original (started with Q3) and I just played a few rounds of deathmatch. It was interesting getting nailgun ammo and having the NIN logo be on the box haha. I'd seen screenshots of that before but I always thought it was a mod, not something that was in the original game.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 20, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Out now and its loving amazing to hear Original soundtrack

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1428417518180438033?s=20

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Combined Reznor/Elfman interview:
https://ew.com/music/trent-reznor-danny-elfman-big-mess-interview/

Wait until you find out which show Trent watches with his kids when he wants to relieve stress...

Peppa Pig

yeah, you

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1430575193919983619

Enlisting all the NIN collaborators, eh? I'm so loving excited for this album

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

All it needs now is some Uncle Al backing vocals

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Can't loving wait for this

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/halsey-if-i-cant-have-love-i-want-power/

quote:

On the surface, Halsey’s latest album, If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power, fits this tradition of grand gestures. The singer, who uses she/they pronouns, is releasing the record alongside an IMAX film of the same name; there have been no singles, only increasingly gory, fantastical trailers and a theatrical unveiling of the album art at the Met. But the record itself has a tight, internal focus: It’s about walking the line between self-preservation and self-destruction, control and compulsion, the thrill and terror of getting what you want. Instead of sieving these themes through an elaborate architecture, Halsey lets horror—of the body, of the mind, of mortality—radiate outward. The result is alluring and spectral. It’s their best work yet.

Largely that’s because they sound so good: clear and cool and lilting. Nine Inch Nails members and film score mainstays Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross produced the record, and the pair seem eager to announce their unlikely place in pop music. On the opening tracks, they create a psychedelic Gothic fairytale—wisps of wind, icy piano, panoramic synth blur, a churning undercurrent listed in the credits as a “menacing beat”—while Halsey sings about loneliness and crowns and Judas (“Jesus needed a three-day weekend/To sort out all his bullshit”), but mostly about a pervasive sense of doom. “Don’t wait for me,” they cry over the chaos, “it’s not a happy ending.” Reznor and Ross spend most of the album experimenting, careening through genres and hinting at a danger that’s never fully realized. They cram songs with texture, reverberating screams and screeching sirens; the busyness can feel like a distraction.

The sound is sometimes abrasive, but rarely shocking. The rollicking “honey” oscillates between frenetic drums and guitar, with Dave Grohl behind the kit and a cyborg inflection that leaks in from hyperpop. “I’ve been corrupted,” Halsey sings on “Lilith,” and a spasm of glitch submerges the last note.If there’s an organizing framework to the album, it’s dissonance. Halsey wrote the album as they fell in love and navigated pregnancy; the writing zigzags between stability and self-sabotage. Every bit of sweetness is anchored in devastation. “Only you have shown me how to love being alive,” they hum on “Darling.” On “Ya’aburnee,” the delicate closing song and the conclusion to all this examination, they can only express commitment in the direst terms: “You will bury me before I bury you.”

With no features, the atmosphere of the album becomes unsettlingly claustrophobic. The effect is intoxicating on “Whispers,” where Halsey actualizes and criticizes their innermost thoughts. The premise might be hokey or campy from a lesser writer, but Halsey is so good at parsing their competing impulses, so brutal in their self-assessment: “This is the glimmer of light that you’re keeping alive when you tell yourself, ‘I bet I could gently caress him,’” they murmur. It’s a line that feels ripped from their first album, a further reiteration of what Halsey has been telling us since the beginning; though its sound is varied and its production heady, If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power rarely offers a new dimension. But for a pop star who has tried to write sweeping anthems about being young in today’s America, this is the song, and the album, that seems most likely to resonate: scrolling through a screen at night and surveying the wreckage, looking for a way to slow your own sacrifice.

Stereogum review

quote:

If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power is decidedly not a pop album, though it’s certainly a catchy one. If you know anything about the project, you know all 13 tracks were produced and co-written by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross — two-time Oscar-winning composers and the current core membership of Nine Inch Nails. The duo has turned loose their talents for aggression and foreboding on an exhilarating range of experiments, assisted by an array of noteworthy contributors who tease the sound of the album in wildly disparate directions. Halsey’s knack for melody ensures that these tracks are accessible even at their noisiest, and their shared vision with Reznor and Ross keeps the project centered even as it veers from idea to idea. Halsey stepped fully into the “alternative” identity they have always claimed, and the results are spectacularInstead, it marries its creators’ perspectives seamlessly and dynamically. Reznor’s presence comes through from the very beginning, when an extremely “Hurt”-esque piano part introduces “The Tradition.” Within seconds, Halsey brings their own signature flourishes to the mix — those sweet but biting, alternately forceful and fluttery vocals that have characterized their work since “Ghost,” those lyrics that serve up intense melodrama without flinching. “Oh the loneliest girl in town/ Is bought for pennies a price/ We dress her up in lovely gowns/ She’s easy on the eyes,” Halsey sings. “Her soul is black, and it’s a fact/ That her sneer will eat you alive/ The buyer always brings her back/ Because all she does is cry.”

Halsey wrote and recorded If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power while pregnant with their first child, a boy named Ender Ridley Aydin born last month. They have called it “a concept album about the joys and horrors of pregnancy and childbirth,” a reassertion of their own autonomy exploring “the dichotomy of the Madonna and the Whore. The idea that me as a sexual being and my body as a vessel and gift to my child are two concepts that can co-exist peacefully and powerfully.” As such, there are lines that could be directly sung to her baby and lines that could be about the life-altering experience of carrying a child, but also lyrics about romantic discord and sensual pursuits and general emotional tumult. It’s a dense text about complicated feelings, littered with hooky phrases to shout along with but leaving lots of room for interpretation. There’s room here for doting parental reflections like “Foolish men have tried, but only you have shown me how to love being alive” and for more carnal turns like “This is the glimmer of light that you’re keeping alive when you tell yourself, ‘I bet I could gently caress him.'”

Appropriately, the range of musical moods, tempos, and textures here is head-spinning. The Bug’s Kevin Martin laces “Bells In Santa Fe” with a tensely flickering pulse, like LCD Soundsystem’s “All My Friends” turned inside out. The breathlessly intense and cathartically angry “Easier Than Lying” is the kind of scorched-earth assault Reznor has always specialized in. “Lilith” recruits D’Angelo’s rhythm section, the veteran drummer Karriem Riggins and bassist Pino Palladino, for a spacious, swinging hip-hop groove shot through with blustery noise. (Bravo to the glitchy distortion applied to Halsey’s voice when they say “corrupted.”) On the stunning “Girl Is A Gun,” hyperactive programming by Meat Beat Manifesto’s Jack Dangers becomes a hall of mirrors for Halsey’s laser-beam vocals — think “Blue Monday” gone drum ‘n’ bass. A tidal wave of guitar distortion from TV On The Radio’s Dave Sitek carries the sarcastic lament “You Asked For This,” while just about everything but Lindsey Buckingham’s acoustic finger-picking disappears from the frame on the tender “My Darling.”

These songs all appear in a row in that order, and what a ride they amount to. The second half of the album is not quite so consistently surprising, but Halsey’s chemistry with Reznor and Ross continues to be potent. Plaintive piano, ominous synths, and aggro overdriven bass abound, assembled into configurations that keep the songs engaging even after the shock of the Halsey/NIN experiment has worn off. Dave Grohl shows up to drum on “Honey,” characteristically fervent but rather inconspicuous compared to, say, his work on Songs For The Deaf; it’s the closest thing to a pop-punk song here, but one that replaces the guitars with a wash of ethereal keyboard sounds. The self-consciously anthemic “I’m Not A Woman, I’m A God” comes closest to the sub-Purity Ring pastiche I had feared but ends up closer to “Closer” (the Nine Inch Nails “Closer,” I should specify, and not the Chainsmokers “Closer”). As the track rolls on, my wariness gives way to the symphony of flickering synths Reznor and Ross build around Halsey’s eminently quotable refrain.

should please Halsey fans and Nine Inch Nails fans alike, one that has me eager to see the NIN braintrust take on more projects like this. (I say this as someone who likes Jack Antonoff just fine: Imagine if Trent Reznor became the new Jack Antonoff.) When Reznor’s voice finally emerges in the distance at the end of “The Lighthouse,” it elicits a thrilling jolt of recognition. It might send you flashing back to any number of meditative NIN tracks across the span of decades, and it works as a nice bit of punctuation for this partnership. Yet Halsey so thoroughly commands the album’s sonic landscape that Reznor’s brief appearance is almost jarring, too, as if he’s breaking the fourth wall. Halsey made a point of not having any featured vocalists on this record, and they’ve made the most of that spotlight. I’d call If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power one of those statement albums that change the course of an artist’s career, except according to Halsey, this is where they’ve always been headed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 26, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A few tracks in and this is not a new HTDA album, but I'm enjoying it all the same!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

A few tracks in and this is not a new HTDA album, but I'm enjoying it all the same!

Is it worth checking out even if you're not familiar with Halsey?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is it worth checking out even if you're not familiar with Halsey?
I wasn't that familiar with them going into this but it's still an interesting listen and definitely the most unorthodox pop album I've heard in a long time.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Girl is a Gun is loving killer!

Edit: I am not a woman, I'm a god is rrraaaaaadddddddd

Sai-kun fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 27, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
yeah not much HDTA there, if anything it sounds like a weird (but also pretty cool, actually) mix of the Watchmen OST, bits of Ghosts and Hesitation Marks

e: entired album listened to, Girl is a Gun is my favourite (The Gang Goes Hyperpop), followed closely by Ya'aburnee. honey is cool too, feels like Trent jumped at the opportunity to go full The Cure lol

nurmie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 27, 2021

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Girl has a Gun got those Perfect Drug drums on it

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I'm not head over heels for it or anything but it's a really solid album that's certainly never boring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sai-kun posted:

Girl is a Gun is loving killer!

Edit: I am not a woman, I'm a god is rrraaaaaadddddddd

magiccarpet posted:

Girl has a Gun got those Perfect Drug drums on it
Probably the 2 best songs on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZcoWhY31jM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafEYZ1QGso

I also really liked Easier Than Lying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1EJvmjLG8Y

e:
https://twitter.com/halsey/status/1431354488225337344

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 27, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 28, 2021

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I accidentally listened to this like 5 times today, really digging it. More Trent collabs, thanks.

But a new NIN first.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Caseman posted:

But a new NIN first.

honestly at this point between how good this album is and how much niggy tardust ruled, I kinda hope Trent keeps partnering with people who have something to say and bringing his musicianship to these collaborations first and foremost. Seems like that challenges him to bring his A game more than another nin album.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this albums ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this albums ok.

I haven't even listened to it but this is likely true. The NIN team set the quality floor high on what they do. Its up to the collaborator to make it stellar.