Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

ArmZ posted:

target is apparently the king of this poo poo

Fun target fact. One of the many fuckups target made when they tried to expand to Canada was to reuse their American planograms. Unfortunately some of the Canadian products had different dimensions because of the francophone requirements so they had wide empty spaces and loads of poo poo that wouldn't fit on shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

skooma512 posted:

Potemkin supermarkets :allears:

The facade of American prosperity is proved to be precisely that.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageImperialism/comments/p2yg6o/the_usa_doesnt_exist/

I don't think OP ever said where or when this was taken.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1175470999044841473

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Can u imagine only one kind of tomato, jesus

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Peak capitalism is the freedom to choose between ten identical brands of peanut butter that have spent millions of dollars in advertisement to pretend they are meaningfully different.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
also they are made in the same factory from exactly one standardized monoculture variety of peanuts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I pay a yearly membership to shop at stores with shelves that look like that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Justin Tyme posted:

Can u imagine only one kind of tomato, jesus

Yes it sounds like hell. There are cherry, beefsteak, heirloom, and grape just to name a few categories. All those have sub categories.

One kind of tomato is a nightmare.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Braggins posted:

What are the right spices? I eat lentils all the time, but I'm lazy so I just eat them completely plain.

cumin bitch

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol there is some dude in the comments trying to argue that they arent getting the best value for their money if there is no canned tomato competition

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

rice and lentils for dinner tonight, yes cumin is the answer with some plain greek yoghurt and sriracha

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I may not be able to afford insulin but I can choose from ten identical brands of paper towels, and in the end that's what's really important. :patriot:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
you could take identical pictures in any Sam's Club

or at least you could have, before the pandemic, when the shelves were reliably stocked

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Needing approximately 8 hours of sleep is pretty well supported by research

It's needing eight hours of sleep in one go that's a capitalist construct. Before the advent of modern lighting and factory work, people would sleep in approximately two stretches of four hours each - first just after sundown, then again by midnight or a little after, getting up at dawn.

Once factory work became a thing, sleeping for eight hours at a time became normalized so people could work their shift in a single stretch as well.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

But the law firm also suggested that a larger unit would prevent the paper from attracting and retaining talent.

"but if we have a large union the Ayn Rand psychos will go to WaPo"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The way this thread predicts things, I should invest in crickets. The cheap and healthy superfood of the future.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

eSporks posted:

The way this thread predicts things, I should invest in crickets. The cheap and healthy superfood of the future.

You should diversify into worms too

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fanfic insert posted:

But the law firm also suggested that a larger unit would prevent the paper from attracting and retaining talent.

Lotsa talent required to ctrl + C/V from CIA handlers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i did the crickets and worms diet for a while. i called it "low food chain" and it was a pain in the rear end. worlds not ready for it quite yet. cant just buy regular ol crickets to eat since theyre made for rats and poo poo idk to eat and you dont wanna eat that. they barely digest and are fed trash so ur basically eating trash. the fix of course is to "farm" your own crickets which is "easy even in an apartment!" (its not) and theres no way im doing that. ... yet.

mealworms and crickets for human consumption are expensive and challenging to source too.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Smythe posted:

i did the crickets and worms diet for a while. i called it "low food chain" and it was a pain in the rear end. worlds not ready for it quite yet. cant just buy regular ol crickets to eat since theyre made for rats and poo poo idk to eat and you dont wanna eat that. they barely digest and are fed trash so ur basically eating trash. the fix of course is to "farm" your own crickets which is "easy even in an apartment!" (its not) and theres no way im doing that. ... yet.

mealworms and crickets for human consumption are expensive and challenging to source too.

I've heard you can just grab some night crawlers out of your yard and plop them in some oatmeal so they purge the gritty dirt out of their systems and replace it with tasty oats. Can't say I've been adventurous enough to try though.

But it does seem like if they can make a beyond burger that tastes good, it shouldn't be a problem to make a tasty worm burger or something. I'd give that a try if it was a thing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Forseti posted:

I've heard you can just grab some night crawlers out of your yard and plop them in some oatmeal so they purge the gritty dirt out of their systems and replace it with tasty oats. Can't say I've been adventurous enough to try though.

But it does seem like if they can make a beyond burger that tastes good, it shouldn't be a problem to make a tasty worm burger or something. I'd give that a try if it was a thing.

u just make stir fry and poo poo in my xp

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

Trader Joe's Soyrizo is :discourse:

Also you guys were talking about Dal, so can someone post their recipe tia

the cool thing about indian food is that on youtube if you search for anything there are hundreds of videos that indian women have made of them cooking, and its the most no-nonsense poo poo you've ever seen.

but anyway for daal, get some red or yellow lentils. i like to soak mine in water the day before but you don't have to. put some oil in a pan and fry up some cumin, coriander seeds, some tumeric, maybe some black mustard seeds if you have those, a few bay leafs (yes, fry them in the oil). add in some chopped onion and chopped chili peppers (to taste, you need to check how spicy they are first), fry those for a while. add some minced garlic, fry for like 20 seconds, and then dump in chopped tomatoes (canned is fine). let this all fry for a long time, you want to get some maillard reaction going from the sugars in the tomatoes. stir often though, don't let it burn. top up with water, add lentils, boil until the lentils are ready. add salt and garam masala at the end. make your own garam masala if you can, it's not hard, basically just stuff like cinammon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice.

if you live in a decent sized city, you probably have an indian grocery store. you should go there to buy spices, they will be way cheaper and in much bigger packages than at your normal grocery store.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hugely embarrassing for the idiot law firm partner who cc'd an organizer, but it sounds like pretty typical bargaining unit considerations. Reasonably valuable intelligence for the union organizers, but not a smoking gun or anything. Hopefully they make the most of it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Peak capitalism is the freedom to choose between ten identical brands of peanut butter that have spent millions of dollars in advertisement to pretend they are meaningfully different.

IMO, an important facet of this arrangement is the existence of fancy, expensive options for the wealthy to signal their superiority.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

Why would anyone do this. Just eat plant protein, it whips this insect bullshit in every category.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

i thought they were moving to frankfurt since the whole point of having an office in london was to be in 'europe'

banks like to headquarter at a place of least scrutiny, so london is still the best place to be and may soon become a financial pirate island

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'M WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE ME A CRICKET BURGER!!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's needing eight hours of sleep in one go that's a capitalist construct. Before the advent of modern lighting and factory work, people would sleep in approximately two stretches of four hours each - first just after sundown, then again by midnight or a little after, getting up at dawn.

Once factory work became a thing, sleeping for eight hours at a time became normalized so people could work their shift in a single stretch as well.

but don’t you need seven hours of continuous sleep to reach deep sleep? without it as far as I know your sleep is only superficial and doesn’t heal.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I think REM sleep kicks in at closer to 2 hours and you drift in and out of it. There are some people who claim to make the uberman sleep cycle work (8, 20 minute power naps spread through the day). Odds are you have to be insane to try something like that so I'm not sure how you'd tell if it wasn't working.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Crazypoops posted:

I'M WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE ME A CRICKET BURGER!!

Av, name and post combine to paint a picture that amuses me greatly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

As an american manufacturing worker I'm honestly surprised. While we are cutting corners we are telling stories about how Europe has all of these amazing regulations where you could never get away with it.

This adds to what I was saying though. In the US Trump just deregulated the slaughterhouses. I worked in a secondary processor that wasn't cooking, freezing or handling it right. You worked in logistics where the finished goods aren't being stored or handled right either.

We have the regulations, yes. But government austerity and neoliberal ideology in general means that there are just no more than a token handful of inspectors in the entire country. And also if they find someone flagrantly breaking the law they need to start with warnings and then re-inspections and then maybe some fines or whatever. Nobody in management takes any of that poo poo seriously.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes it sounds like hell. There are cherry, beefsteak, heirloom, and grape just to name a few categories. All those have sub categories.

One kind of tomato is a nightmare.

Same. Having some choices for food is just good for cooking. In darker days I used to just use one type of onion for everything (red) until I discovered why people used different kinds of onions for different things. And tomatoes have way more uses and at least in grocery stores, varieties.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I think REM sleep kicks in at closer to 2 hours and you drift in and out of it. There are some people who claim to make the uberman sleep cycle work (8, 20 minute power naps spread through the day). Odds are you have to be insane to try something like that so I'm not sure how you'd tell if it wasn't working.

I think a full REM cycle takes about 90 minutes, and the time to reach REM varies but you can train yourself to hit it pretty quickly. I used to have a turbo hosed sleep schedule* and two hour naps in place of regular sleep will keep you alive and sane, although not super productive.

*I still have a turbo hosed sleep schedule, but I used to too

E: if I remember right, Buckminster Fuller used to do the power nap thing for awhile, but stopped because the midnight hours were quiet and lonely and he had to interrupt the daylight hours for his naps. Just a net loss overall.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Aug 13, 2021

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
cucumber is nice

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol there is some dude in the comments trying to argue that they arent getting the best value for their money if there is no canned tomato competition

Each brand has a board of corporate leeches, a marketing department, and a logistics branch, at minimum, that are all duplicated work that make your tomatoes more expensive. Competition just means wasted resources.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nix Panicus posted:

I think a full REM cycle takes about 90 minutes, and the time to reach REM varies but you can train yourself to hit it pretty quickly. I used to have a turbo hosed sleep schedule* and two hour naps in place of regular sleep will keep you alive and sane, although not super productive.

*I still have a turbo hosed sleep schedule, but I used to too

E: if I remember right, Buckminster Fuller used to do the power nap thing for awhile, but stopped because the midnight hours were quiet and lonely and he had to interrupt the daylight hours for his naps. Just a net loss overall.

using the gap between my biphasic sleep schedules to shitpost during other time zones

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

Same. Having some choices for food is just good for cooking. In darker days I used to just use one type of onion for everything (red) until I discovered why people used different kinds of onions for different things. And tomatoes have way more uses and at least in grocery stores, varieties.

Having many different brands available doesn't equal variety. Supermarket bread aisles are obvious proof of that.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Popoto posted:

but don’t you need seven hours of continuous sleep to reach deep sleep? without it as far as I know your sleep is only superficial and doesn’t heal.

You can get 2 full Rem cycles in the first 5 hours. After 7 you don't really get any REM. I've gone weeks at 6 hours a day with no real negative side effects. Anything less than 5 though and you start to lose cognitive function.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fame Douglas posted:

Having many different brands available doesn't equal variety. Supermarket bread aisles are obvious proof of that.

I'm not talking about brands of tomatoes. I'm talking more about species. Like the difference between a robin and a blue jay. They're different birds (though you shouldn't eat them). Cherry tomatoes are better in salads and beefsteak tomatoes are better for making sauces and dips and brandywine tomatoes are better for burgers.

I don't really give a poo poo about ten different brands of peanut butter. Most of it tastes the same. Crunchy, smooth, bad ingredients, good ingredients, whatever. But there are different culinary purposes between different species of plants. Having a single tomato to choose from in a grocery store is grim if you like your food to taste good.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm not talking about brands of tomatoes. I'm talking more about species. Like the difference between a robin and a blue jay. They're different birds (though you shouldn't eat them). Cherry tomatoes are better in salads and beefsteak tomatoes are better for making sauces and dips and brandywine tomatoes are better for burgers.

I don't really give a poo poo about ten different brands of peanut butter. Most of it tastes the same. Crunchy, smooth, bad ingredients, good ingredients, whatever. But there are different culinary purposes between different species of plants. Having a single tomato to choose from in a grocery store is grim if you like your food to taste good.

if you're buying your tomatoes at a grocery store you've already lost the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's probably not that weird that the thread that follows the economy of the largest and richest nation in world history are talking about what kind of worms and crickets are best to eat.