Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

gay for gacha posted:

These suck. What does your gut say about somber, maerlyn and sandwolf?

Wow. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

merk posted:

I could see Referee.

I agree with you here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

gay for gacha posted:

now you have to double down and defend merk all game in case you are scum buddies right?

That's not really how I would interact with my scum team. This is on my mind because I just finished a game as scum. In this situation in this game where it is right now I would let merk handle himself and probably ignore him. I take your point, but while it makes sense in a vacuum it's not really how the game is played imo.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

That's not really how I would interact with my scum team. This is on my mind because I just finished a game as scum. In this situation in this game where it is right now I would let merk handle himself and probably ignore him. I take your point, but while it makes sense in a vacuum it's not really how the game is played imo.

Would you vote referee?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

This is perhaps the easiest game of mafia I've ever seen.

Kill poop,

Kill b-,

Kill somber,

Join my game.

Interesting kill decision from scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

Before someone goes SCUMM SLIP WE gOT HIM HOW DOES NHE KNOW POOP SIS OSWNTWN AEHRE?!!?!? WE GOT HI!M!!!! - the negative read here doesn't make much sense if poop flips scum. Why would Referee vote me instead of poop and never open the door to vote poop as poop approaches elimination (got to -2)?

sounds like someone is a little self-conscious about how they're being perceived...

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

gay for gacha posted:

Would you vote referee?

Yeah for sure, I changed my mind after rereading some. Sometimes scummy behavior isn't different town, it's just scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

sounds like someone is a little self-conscious about how they're being perceived...

Eh, I keep getting eliminated in games on cases that make no sense. It is starting to get annoying.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

merk would you vote ref?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I do want to say I think I was wrong about Sandwolf in retrospect.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

gay for gacha posted:

merk would you vote ref?

I would, but I'm not done yet.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

merk posted:

I would, but I'm not done yet.

If you think Ref is scum, and your friend Somber does too, then let's vote it out.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Plastic is an interesting case. He spends a lot of time telling us what the case on poop is when that isn't the case on poop:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So is the case on poopacy just that he thinks Merk is scum? Cause I've definitely seen bad gut cases from merk in the past that ended up being completely wrong.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Re-reading things, I'm really not feeling these poop votes. Merk's case in particular seems to be "You have been calling me scum in a manner I do not believe is convincing therefore you are scum" without placing any solid reasoning on it. This is also especially rich coming from Merk who I have seen rely on really flimsy gut reads repeatedly.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Somber. I've had a very hard time trying to figure out what he actually thinks because he's spent half the day putting on a giant "Look at me, I'm Steak" act and using it to cover himself from actually putting stuff out there. He called Sandwolf out for an apparent scum slip, (I actually see where Somber's coming from on that vote) but then he immediately dropped his vote and went after Poopacy instead, following right after merk. Said case on Poopacy has boiled down to "You think I'm scum? How can you possibly think I'm scum?"

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I just think the case on Poopacy is way worse and the pushes for him have been pinging me badly. But as I've never actually seen you get past day 2 in any mafia game I've played, Steak, I want to make a deal. Claim, and I'll swap to Poopacy as my fallback option to get a flip instead of you. None of the usual drip-feed nonsense, just an actual claim.

Gone for like 30 minutes, will be back before deadline.

But then at deadline...?

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So I guess that means

##vote: Poopacy

I don't understand why we need to hear the same thing three times about how bad the case is on poop; and I don't understand how plastic votes poop right at deadline (and then switches back to steak).

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

gay for gacha posted:

Maerlyn you haven't really had any reads in two pages of posts, what's up pal. Can't figure it out?

I just want to be like taste where I can barely post and no one says anything (not including being ill, he's a taste of few words and it drives me up a wall).

Specifically about that vote somber hasn't been on my radar but there's bits in his recent long quote post that I don't care for at first glance, need to dig in further (admittedly I'm being lazy, it's early in D2 and I took the day off, I don't feel like doing my homework just yet).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

...but it is how scum you would interact with town merk.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Maerlyn posted:

I just want to be like taste where I can barely post and no one says anything (not including being ill, he's a taste of few words and it drives me up a wall).

Specifically about that vote somber hasn't been on my radar but there's bits in his recent long quote post that I don't care for at first glance, need to dig in further (admittedly I'm being lazy, it's early in D2 and I took the day off, I don't feel like doing my homework just yet).

"early in d2" seems like a cool way to excuse yourself from blowing your cover by having to post.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

merk posted:

...but it is how scum you would interact with town merk.

I was just thinking that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Referee looks right for now.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’d also

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

t a s t e posted:

I’d also

I could see your somber vote. Do you have words that explain how you got there?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

gay for gacha posted:

"early in d2" seems like a cool way to excuse yourself from blowing your cover by having to post.

You asked me a question and I gave you a truthful answer, I don't think "it's a Friday and I want to do something fun" is a scummy response.

##unvote for now

Somberbrero posted:

I do want to say I think I was wrong about Sandwolf in retrospect.

What were you wrong about?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Maerlyn posted:

You asked me a question and I gave you a truthful answer, I don't think "it's a Friday and I want to do something fun" is a scummy response.

##unvote for now

What were you wrong about?

i think we went through this same thing before where i feel like he's evasive and he's just like 'literally what are you talking about' and i think he's scum and then i'm wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah for sure, I changed my mind after rereading some. Sometimes scummy behavior isn't different town, it's just scum.

i agree

##vote somber

immediately distancing merk right after getting called out on buddying up to him, while explaining how you can't be scum if you're openly buddying up people because that's not how you personally play scum

flip flopping on basically every alignment

i was on the fence D1 because your posts seemed town motivated even though I disagreed with basically all your conclusions but now you're just posting scum nonsense

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

the holy poopacy posted:

i agree

##vote somber

immediately distancing merk right after getting called out on buddying up to him, while explaining how you can't be scum if you're openly buddying up people because that's not how you personally play scum

flip flopping on basically every alignment

i was on the fence D1 because your posts seemed town motivated even though I disagreed with basically all your conclusions but now you're just posting scum nonsense

you put together a short list of perceived behaviors that you put a negative spin on, not trying to actually make any connections between those behaviors and alignment. feels uncharacteristically lazy of you. it is convenient that you don't bother making a real alignment call on me day one, thank you for noting it.

maybe it isn't 'scummy nonsense.' maybe it's you that you don't understand what's going on. try to have some perspective.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

Wow. No thanks.

re: somb maer sand scum gut reads

merk posted:

I could see your somber vote. Do you have words that explain how you got there?

this is on the same page and you don't even notice, poopacy? do you care about fLiP-flOPpiNg or do you just want to secure a vote now that i'm a popular candidate?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

this is on the same page and you don't even notice, poopacy? do you care about fLiP-flOPpiNg or do you just want to secure a vote now that i'm a popular candidate?

He’s asking me to give gut reads. I’m declining.

Then, as I read through the game and look at votes, I see a case on you.

There’s the progression you’ve missed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

my position on merk is well established and remains unchanged, instead of stuff like this

Somberbrero posted:

I'm not going to vote merk, he's actively scumhunting.

Somberbrero posted:

merk doesn't always know who the scum are. Sometimes he has to play the game to figure it out.

(gets called out for buddying up to merk)

Somberbrero posted:

[some merk quote]

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Somber, I will say, it was unsettling how quickly you and merk went from defending each other to attacking each other.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I have a good feeling about g4g so far, what’s the case on Referee?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

He’s asking me to give gut reads. I’m declining.

Then, as I read through the game and look at votes, I see a case on you.

There’s the progression you’ve missed.

Maybe I don't understand what's going on then, I'll try to have some perspective.

the holy poopacy posted:

my position on merk is well established and remains unchanged, instead of stuff like this

(gets called out for buddying up to merk)

That last quote is a joke. I thought that was obvious.

Sandwolf posted:

Somber, I will say, it was unsettling how quickly you and merk went from defending each other to attacking each other.

You literally *just* played a game with me as scum. You think this is how I play that?

I'm also obviously not scum because I'm not going to kill Toal n1 three games in a row.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Somb(S) x Merk (S) = Ref (T)

Somb(T) x Merk (S) = Ref(T/S)

Somb(S) x Merk (T) = Ref (T/S)

Somb(T) x Merk (T) = Ref (S)

I think it might be safe to assume that if Both Somb and Merk are scum, they wouldn't want to vote Ref (if ref is town they would know) out because that would immediately cause them to be fingered as scum.

If Somb is town, we know he believes that Merk is not scum enough to vote for today. If Ref flips town, Somb would finger merk a little bit more than he is now, but would probably not be all the way convinced. If ref is scum, I don't believe Merk would keep his vote on them for the entirety of the day.

If Somb is scum, and Merk is town, and ref flips town, Merk would probably not finger Somb because there are too many people that suspect Ref. If ref is scum, I don't know if somb would hold their vote there, because removing the vote would make them be fingered bad as scum.

In the case that both Somb and Merk are town, and Ref flips town, then imo the people to look at would be Poopacy, Maerlyn, Plastic.

I think that the correct move here is to vote Ref and watch what Merk and Somb do, or anyone else really. But In this case, I think it would give me at least information about Somb and Merk. Given that I already think that Ref is scummy enough to vote for.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean I'm happy enough to vote ref, I'm just trying to figure out if there's a better case today.

Likely Town
Binus

Probably town
Merk
Sand
Gacha
Maerlyn

Will work through the rest via process of elimination and try to sort it out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gay for gacha posted:

I think it might be safe to assume that if Both Somb and Merk are scum, they wouldn't want to vote Ref (if ref is town they would know) out because that would immediately cause them to be fingered as scum.

is this a safe assumption? I could understand this argument if they had opened the case on Ref, or if Ref was getting close to hammer, but going "hmm yes this is scummy" after a couple people point out it's scummy seems to be a reasonably safe place for scum to hide

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

is this a safe assumption? I could understand this argument if they had opened the case on Ref, or if Ref was getting close to hammer, but going "hmm yes this is scummy" after a couple people point out it's scummy seems to be a reasonably safe place for scum to hide

Do you think they would vote a scum off though?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

You literally *just* played a game with me as scum. You think this is how I play that?

I'm also obviously not scum because I'm not going to kill Toal n1 three games in a row.

if you think these are convincing arguments then it stands to reason that this is exactly what you would do as scum, so that you could make posts like this

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gay for gacha posted:

Do you think they would vote a scum off though?

no? I'm talking about the scenario where merk + somber are both scum and ref is town.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

the holy poopacy posted:

if you think these are convincing arguments then it stands to reason that this is exactly what you would do as scum, so that you could make posts like this

Sure, I get why you wouldn't believe it, but some people who know my game should understand that I absolutely wouldn't kill toalpaz there. I'm also just not so good as to be able to completely change my style from game.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

no? I'm talking about the scenario where merk + somber are both scum and ref is town.

Ahh I see. Yeah without getting wifom, I guess in the case that ref flipped town both of them would be able to deflect.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

Sure, I get why you wouldn't believe it, but some people who know my game should understand that I absolutely wouldn't kill toalpaz there. I'm also just not so good as to be able to completely change my style from game.

so your argument is that you can't be scum because you're not good enough as scum to convincingly hide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

the holy poopacy posted:

so your argument is that you can't be scum because you're not good enough as scum to convincingly hide?

Yeah, that's exactly my argument poop. You nailed it. Real good faith effort here. Glad I engaged you in an attempt to better discern your alignment.