Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey it's reinstatement day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

All hail GEOTUS

Edit: on the topic of wacked out bullshit --

There's this picture circulating on Facebook, claiming that Fauci said that there'd be a "surprise" infectious disease outbreak during Trump's presidency:

And there's a "fact check" from USA today that says it's true and refers to a Healio.com article from 2017:
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/07/29/fact-check-2017-anthony-fauci-warned-potential-outbreak/5494601002/

BUT, if you look for the Healio.com article that is dated in the URL to 2017, you find that there is no record of that article before JULY 2020.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https...isease-outbreak

That's some next level scam bullshit that got past the "fact checkers."

We're loving doomed.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 13, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I work with a dude who's been talking about it all week. He left halfway through his shift to go get ready. Antifa is gonna attack when Trump is reinstated or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Garage doing the head gasket on my wife's car just called, an injector snapped so that's another couple of hundred on the bill. I asked if they'd at least finished all 4 before calling me so I don't get another 3 surprise calls. This car has killed my will to live.

Rhyno posted:

Antifa is gonna attack when Trump is reinstated or something.

Antifa if they're not successful, republican patriot heros if they succeed

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Not to defend iTunes because i do have issues with it, but I eventually gave in and let it do its thing. I threw all my DJ’ing tunes and various mixes at it and curate the poo poo out of it, with proper metadata and everything and now it just works and I can point Traktor at it and have one source across all my devices with iTunes Match. (Match is the forgotten product that uploads all your music to iCloud and will also upgrade your poo poo quality rips if it can). When I had a bus commute it was nice to be able to preview new tunes and create playlists on my phone which automatically cloud synced so I could pull them up in Traktor for DJing with.

When I have the budget (unemployed) I use Apple Music too for everything else. The auto suggest “for you” playlist stuff got really really good the more you used the whole system, not just simple “if you like X you might like Y” but it got really good at surfacing lesser played tracks from artists you like that fit well with your high rotation stuff. The “radio” channels and artist curated playlists were usually really good too. This might seem strange but Elton John’s radio show/playlists were exceptionally good. Who knows just how much input the man himself had but it sounded pretty authentic and he had a real keen nose.

But I realise I’m likely in a minority with this opinion! I loving HATE the Spotify app and when it first launched it, before they got industry buy in was full of garbage tracks. Also not a fan of their attempts to throw walls around their podcast garden. People moan about Apple walled gardens but to their credit their approach with the podcast directory has always been wide open and more consumer favouring than what Spotify and others before them have tried. And everyone else still leans heavily on the Apple podcast directory for their own apps too.

You're in good company. I too found I'm horrible at managing my music, so I just dump it all into iTunes and let it do its thing. I do keep a separate folder of all my downloads though, but I've had little success in that actually working in my favor. I'm definitely tempted to give iTunes Match and/or Apple Music a try too, as it looks like Apple Music has all of Match's features plus the streaming stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Garage doing the head gasket on my wife's car just called, an injector snapped so that's another couple of hundred on the bill. I asked if they'd at least finished all 4 before calling me so I don't get another 3 surprise calls. This car has killed my will to live.

Antifa if they're not successful, republican patriot heros if they succeed

No he meant antifa would attack when Trump is reinstated

BECAUSE LIBRALS

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Rhyno posted:

BECAUSE LIBRALS

i mean honestly if you dont REDACTED in the streets and REDACTED if for some reason the us ends up with an unelected president then you are basically a coward who should REDACTED

pls dont get mad at me mr interceptor, i am willing to say 1 (one) nice thing about subarus

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

All hail GEOTUS

There's this picture circulating on Facebook, claiming that Fauci said that there'd be a "surprise" infectious disease outbreak during Trump's presidency:

And there's a "fact check" from USA today that says it's true and refers to a Healio.com article from 2017:
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/07/29/fact-check-2017-anthony-fauci-warned-potential-outbreak/5494601002/

BUT, if you look for the Healio.com article that is dated in the URL to 2017, you find that there is no record of that article before JULY 2020.

We're loving doomed.

I mean, the statement in question here is a valid statement for any president. Obama had zika, west nile, swine flu, Bush had SARS and I think MERS. On the surface, to someone knowledgeable, this statement is non controversial. To a fool, it is what it is.

Also, .jpgs like this are specifically crafted to escape AI detection. The mass sharing by bots and zombies means it gets more and more views. Facebook gets paid for views.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

rdb posted:

I mean, the statement in question here is a valid statement for any president. Obama had zika, west nile, swine flu, Bush had SARS and I think MERS. On the surface, to someone knowledgeable, this statement is non controversial. To a fool, it is what it is.

This, 100%.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Advent Horizon posted:

It really whips the llama’s rear end.

I have quite a few Polaroids. I even have a stash of refrigerated FP-100C film, but I need a camera for it. A modded SX-70 is my travel camera.

My desk display (I need to throw up some empty packs from after they rebranded):

Nifty!
One of the cooler things we found when we cleared out my wife's grandmother's house was, among all the photography gear (her late grandfather was what now would be termed a "prosumer" photographer - lots of 4x5 and such gear, including an actual honest-to-god Kodak Brownie) was a Graphlex camera and flash gun. Yes, THE Graphlex, as in Luke Skywalker's lightsaber. All in a case and complete, even. I don't think we had any film though.

Rhyno posted:

I watch YT via the app on my TV a lot and the ads are driving me crazy.

Yeah, my daughter does that, and bitches, at which point I tell her she *could* just use her laptop with an ad-blocker, or not complain.
On the Xbox YT app, stopping and restarting the vide seems to make them go away without waiting the full whatever seconds.

everdave posted:

I spent way more time than it was worth trying to get a Raspberry Pi to be an adblocker for YouTube on the TV (I never got it to work)

If they would just sell a freaking no Ads for $3 a month I'm in. Not paying nearly $150 a year for no ads. Sucks when I don't have the kids I want to mindlessly watch some car content on YouTube on the big screen but have to sit through and skip ads. A simple adblock on the computers and there are no ads shown but I don't want to be on the computer - have to be on those all drat day every day.

PiHole? I've been meaning to try that. For the benefit of those who have no idea what I'm talking about, it's basically just a proxy that sits between your router and internet connection and redirects known ad source IPs to nowhere.

BigPaddy posted:

Maybe if you didn’t block ads I, a premium subscriber, would not need to hear about raid shadow legends or raycon earbuds all the time :colbert:

Maybe if YT and other sources didn't absolutely cram content with ads, I, a don't give a gently caress about any of that poo poo user, would block the damned ads.
I didn't start blocking until they started doing multiple ads per video, multiple *preroll* ads, and ads ever loving 5 minutes of video. :colbert: :colbert:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Adblocking isn’t why creators do their own monetising.

BigPaddy posted:

No they do it because Adsense revenue is lovely. Clearly more smilies are needed on facetious posts.

And because YT reduced ad revenue sharing significantly years ago, as I recall. Also, YT being incredibly quick on the demonetizing trigger. Also, also, direct sponsorship pays a LOT more than ad revenue sharing, period.

Powershift posted:

Truck got tossed again. Fresh metal shavings in the disconnected ignition cylinder. I love how many attempts they made scraping the outside of the cylinder

They managed to re-engage the steering lock.

I need to rig up some sort of tactile feedback for idiotic theft attempts. wire the airbag into a button inside there or something.

Can you perhaps electrify that ignition barrel? Nothing lethal - I think a big old zap while they dig around with a screwdriver might make them leave it for dead.

Have you considered an alarm? I know they're basically noisemakers that may or may not attract attention, but sometimes that blinking red light is enough to make something else a more tempting target.

meatpimp posted:

All hail GEOTUS

We're loving doomed.

First off, what the gently caress is "healio.com," and why would you trust something that literally only comes from a single source, regardless?

Rhyno posted:

BECAUSE LIBRALS

Oh, yeah, that's definitely a thing that liberals do, rather then the violent gun-owning fascist Trumpers.

edit: oof. Sorry for the wall of text. I got a late start today.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KozmoNaut posted:

I got sick and tired of Spotify and streaming in general, so I went back to curating a local collection, and periodically switching out what I have on my phone. 128GB storage is a lot of music in 128kbps Opus format.

Of course, it also helps that I get most new rock/metal albums as promos before they're released, it's like demos and shareware back in the old PC gaming days. The stuff I end up liking, I buy on Bandcamp.

Support the artists directly whenever possible.

I did the same thing honestly - I just use youtube music to discover music that I then download or buy on discogs if I can't find available for download.

I just bought a 14tb hard drive for my desktop because I was starting to run out of space lol.

Streaming is here to stay but imo it's the inferior way to go about listening to music and I found that I need a personal library.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

Oh poo poo really?

You mean to tell me that there are people out here still trusting the plan?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

PiHole? I've been meaning to try that. For the benefit of those who have no idea what I'm talking about, it's basically just a proxy that sits between your router and internet connection and redirects known ad source IPs to nowhere.

Yes - I followed online tutorials - asked for help here - everything seemed to be set up correctly - it just never worked. So frustrating.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

64bit_Dophins posted:

Oh poo poo really?

You mean to tell me that there are people out here still trusting the plan?

More than you'd imagine.

Facts are meaningless. They just mentally parkour around them to form a world-view-affirming alternate fact.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Chuds are the cats of the mental gymnastics world when it comes to licking their own assholes.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

sharkytm posted:

More than you'd imagine.

Facts are meaningless. They just mentally parkour around them to form a world-view-affirming alternate fact.

I have probably talked to a few and haven't known... I shut down political conversations irl as soon as they start to come up and change the subject.

I just say something like "yeah yeah things are crazy - so yeah you see that they're building a new ______". It works pretty much everytime. At this point I just don't have the bandwidth to talk about this poo poo with people I'm not close with honestly. Since the pandemic started I've heard people I know say some pretty crazy poo poo fr.

Also unrelated but which which one you is this -

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/p3gun0/me_28m_with_my_girlfriend_28f_found_out_shes/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Hi, I'm looking for relationship advice from the pedophile incels on Reddit but I hear this something awful location is real sick poo poo, c/d?" is fairly solid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

"Hi, I'm looking for relationship advice from the pedophile incels on Reddit but I hear this something awful location is real sick poo poo, c/d?" is fairly solid.

Was gonna say: this from a Redditor? That's like some guy talking poo poo about crossdressers while balls deep in his dog's rear end in a top hat.

edit: we're the crossdressers.

edit edit: I gotta say, the responses to the question are a lot more reasonable than I thought they might be. They're basically saying the same thing.

SpikeMcAwesome posted:

Imagine a Redditor getting worried about another site on the internet.

poppenweiler posted:

Absolutely pathetic of you, a redditor, to clutch your pearls over a completely benign internet cultural institution. Get the gently caress off the Internet kid

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 13, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dammit. Channel I watched on YT that reposted Roadkill stuff got shut down. Not unexpected, but dang.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

quote:

Something Awful was edgy in 2003, now it's filled with old nerds.

quote:

SomethingAwful might have been part of the general cesspool that the Internet was back in the 00's, but now it's just a place for frustrated leftists to yell at other frustrated leftists

We’re being attacked.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

We’re being attacked.

Oh no. My identity.

Wait actually it seems like those attacks are actually good things. Proud to hang with old nerds and leftists.

Much improved over some of the awful hateful poo poo that used to be posted here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Advent Horizon posted:

We’re being attacked.

But not mischaracterized.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

meatpimp posted:

But not mischaracterized.

:hmmyes:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I spy at least one AI poster in those comments

Two, now that I added my two cents

Edit: its me, an old nerd frustrated leftist on SA, who wants to be yelled at

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Heading to the Pamona Swap Meet this weekend to try and find stuff for the poncho. Looking forward to stall after stall of Trump tshirts/hats and piles of rusty misc junk with $300 price tags. Going to be looking for poncho parts and a used 6/71 blower because if I am going to build a stroked 400 with wide ring gaps for boost might as well go full Mad Max. Got to get all the bits and drop them off to be cleaned up and machined ready for me to get the clearances all wrong so it blows up on first start.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Advent Horizon posted:

We’re being attacked.

Well they aint wrong however

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My 3 year old has COVID. He’s fine other than a single bout of the shits on Tuesday and some puking last Saturday.

My wife and I don’t have COVID because we are vaccinated. I know you guys here are either vaccinated or plan to be. I just wanted to add my .02c of confirmation that the vaccine works.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

rdb posted:

My 3 year old has COVID. He’s fine other than a single bout of the shits on Tuesday and some puking last Saturday.

My wife and I don’t have COVID because we are vaccinated. I know you guys here are either vaccinated or plan to be. I just wanted to add my .02c of confirmation that the vaccine works.

Poor little buddy; hoping for a full and quick recovery.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just posted my engine-swapped MR2 to Facebook Marketplace. I hope that wasn't a big mistake.

edit:// and just like that, the listing was taken down and back into "being reviewed". Lovely, thanks Facebook!

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 14, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I just posted my engine-swapped MR2 to Facebook Marketplace. I hope that wasn't a big mistake.

Narrator: Well, of course it was.

Edit: On the topic of ultrarich overlords buying all the real estate: https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ymxz/zillow-other-tech-firms-are-in-an-arms-race-to-buy-up-american-homes

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 14, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That makes my blood boil.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meatpimp posted:

Narrator: Well, of course it was.

Edit: On the topic of ultrarich overlords buying all the real estate: https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ymxz/zillow-other-tech-firms-are-in-an-arms-race-to-buy-up-american-homes

My hot take is that we work was just a giant scam to accumulate as much NYC property as possible and short the market.

Ever since I watched that documentary I've just had that feeling.

I imagine most of these other real estate market software companies are doing the same...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welcome to a world where a tech company like Google will buy up all the houses in your neighborhood over the internet, to build up their "inventory"

:capitalism:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then rebrand the rental industry into paying a "housing subscription."

Thank christ we were able to get into this house last year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Unfortunately, that's what a lot of the cash offers on houses are.

We're hosed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm very excited to have turned in my notice for a job with better projects, a 10% raise plus potential bonuses and a better 401k match (3k instead of a sort of bonus pay situation).

I had lunch with my nephew who is getting a signing bonus big enough to buy a car and a 60% pay increase.

I chose the wrong industry! At least I know his long term goal is to build a big egg and do something more rewarding in 15 years. I hope he succeeds!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Unfortunately, that's what a lot of the cash offers on houses are.

We're hosed.

Yeah if you don't have a house already you're pretty much hosed. Hopefully as my wife and I get older we don't have any unforeseen circumstances or major health issues that would force us to sell our house because i'd like to give it to my son at some point. If we can't he's hosed too.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Well I was wondering what was going to be pissing me the gently caress off today.

I make a six figure salary and have a decent savings account, yet buying a house feels further and further away with each passing day.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Well I was wondering what was going to be pissing me the gently caress off today.

I make a six figure salary and have a decent savings account, yet buying a house feels further and further away with each passing day.

Imagine how it feels for those that are making fuckall in this bullshit country.

Dink status here with both of us able to make a living wage, healthy credit, decent savings, etc. The goalposts are just ever receding and at an accelerating rate.
Spend a million dollars for a old shithouse out west to breathe smoke 4 months a year, deal with a house that hasn't been updated since our parents first bought em in the 80s for under $50k, hiding no telling what other horrors of RV level build quality in its bones because it was a cheap poo poo house to begin with. And to pay for it all over the next 30 years? I'm 32, I don't trust this system enough to not gently caress me in the rear end again and again to make the rich richer. I heard stories of how lovely things got in the dot-bomb and lived through the financial crisis in some of the poorest areas of the country. The first bus I posted here way back when was my answer to owning a house was not attainable then, and its not looking any better now.

At this point gently caress all that I'm just need a big rear end shop. But even then, thats looking like a 150 thousand dollar dream even if I built just a shop in places heavily affected by climate change. Nevermind keeping it secure when I'm not there.

I recently met a couple from Brazil in a built out truck and rv similar to mine. They've been traveling the world with it since 2018(with exception for lovely rear end 2020). I learned so much from them through their experiences. With the drastically rising costs of houses I may just go this route too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I hate my apartment and want to own my own house. I also hate my job and the city I live in and have feared that I'd be stuck with a house I couldn't sell if I ever did change jobs and move. Joke's on me, it's easy to sell a house. It's just hard to buy one.