Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man, I love Deb. Dexter without Deb will be so weird, so we better get a lot of ghost Deb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I've only just completed my rewatch and I have already forgotten what happened in season 3.

Except for CHICKEY HINES

A kill goes wrong when Dexter encounters someone else who's come to kill his suspect (Freebo), winds up in a fight with them, and kills them. The person he kills turns out to be the junkie brother of an ADA. Dexter winds up befriending the ADA, so much so that he lets the ADA in on his Code and helps him start to kill people himself because he's frustrated with the deficiencies of the criminal justice system.

Meanwhile, Miami Metro tracks a serial killer who skins people. It's related to the ADA because Freebo owed money to the Skinner, and this FOR SOME REASON causes the Skinner to start killing so, so many people who are tangentially related to the Freebo case. It's extremely hard to tell what the gently caress the Skinner is doing; his actions make no sense at all.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The skinner guy was the one he just dropped in front of a cop car and the police were like "welp suicide by cop I guess, CASE CLOSED" wasn't he

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cant forget about the great Clemson Galt. Too bad for the guy he died long before 2016 when he would have been pardoned anyhow

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Thus far, the lowest point of my rewatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEdFM0T7Bg

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

The skinner guy was the one he just dropped in front of a cop car and the police were like "welp suicide by cop I guess, CASE CLOSED" wasn't he

Just got to this.

Dexter gets kidnapped by the Skinner, who was put onto him by Miguel Prado. He's strapped to the guy's table, but has a heart-to-heart with Ghost Dad about how he wants to live for his unborn son. He tips the table over onto his hand, dislocating his wrist or something like that allowing him to get free. He breaks the Skinner's neck and throws him onto a responding cop car (they are there because of some poo poo Masuka dug up about tobacco leaves, I wasn't paying enough attention to figure it out).

Dexter goes from completely at the Skinner's mercy to killing him in a way that can't be traced to him in about 90 seconds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Thus far, the lowest point of my rewatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEdFM0T7Bg

oh lord wheres part 2

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

oh lord wheres part 2

That's what the sequel series is for

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Angel and LaGuerta getting together has a lot of "We didn't have anything for these characters to do this season" energy

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Angel and LaGuerta getting together has a lot of "We didn't have anything for these characters to do this season" energy

That always drove me crazy, because it’s one of the clearest instances of the writers just not caring about writing anything that matters beyond the current season. They spent a season establishing a love interest for Angel, then the next season it’s “oh, they broke up off screen and now he’s with Laguerta.” Then they get married, and a couple seasons later it’s “oh, they got divorced off screen.”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

That always drove me crazy, because it’s one of the clearest instances of the writers just not caring about writing anything that matters beyond the current season. They spent a season establishing a love interest for Angel, then the next season it’s “oh, they broke up off screen and now he’s with Laguerta.” Then they get married, and a couple seasons later it’s “oh, they got divorced off screen.”

lol I totally forgot they got married. I thought they were gonna be done by the end of this season for sure.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

PostNouveau posted:

lol I totally forgot they got married. I thought they were gonna be done by the end of this season for sure.

I'm pretty sure I remember there was a tweet by the guy who played Angel where he'd completely forgotten his on-screen wife had died and turned into a bench

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I forgot Deb dates this old man and also the old man has a long gratuitous rear end shot

I forgot how much I hated Deb as a character, wish she got whacked near the end of season one.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Should have kept the bit from the books where Deb knows about Dexter. Have her find out at the end of S1 when he saves her and begrudgingly accept a need for him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dragonstoned posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember there was a tweet by the guy who played Angel where he'd completely forgotten his on-screen wife had died and turned into a bench

Not a tweet (well, at least not JUST a tweet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uvkztyy5U

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Dragonstoned posted:

Better than a tweet, it was an interview where they asked him what he thinks each character is doing now and he just said that Laguerta is probably still fighting the good fight as a police captain somewhere without realizing she was dead.

edit: :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Argue posted:

Better than a tweet, it was an interview where they asked him what he thinks each character is doing now and he just said that Laguerta is probably still fighting the good fight as a police captain somewhere without realizing she was dead.

edit: :argh:

This is so, so good. I know some actors don't really get into the nitty gritty of their work and have a 9-to-5 attitude about getting their lines right and hitting their marks, but drat

Fake edit: to be sure, this isn't on him but on the dramatic gruel that the show had become by that point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

This is so, so good. I know some actors don't really get into the nitty gritty of their work and have a 9-to-5 attitude about getting their lines right and hitting their marks, but drat

Fake edit: to be sure, this isn't on him but on the dramatic gruel that the show had become by that point.

Oh, totally.

Of all the shows that don't deserve attention, even from their own cast and crew, it's this one.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Someone brought up Dexter somehow carrying a body up to the top of a grain silo a while back, well I just watched that episode and it’s just full of the wildest stupid poo poo.

• Dexter is so affected somehow by the death of Mos Def's character, who he met only a handful of episodes ago, that he’s now seeing ghost Ice Truck Killer instead of Harry.
  • Deb tells Dexter that Trinity killed his wife and daughter. Between this and Mos’ death, she knows Dexter has had it rough and tells him to take some time off. She then spends the rest of the episode trying to get him to come back because she really just meant to take the afternoon off.
  • Knowing that Trinity is dead, Dexter logically figures that it was his surviving son Jonah who killed the family, something that nobody else even seems to have considered. So he sets off on a road trip to Nebraska to kill him.
  • Oh yeah, despite the fact that Trinity’s family was supposed to be in witness protection, their whereabouts are seemingly not a secret anymore, and they haven’t moved or given any protection to the son, even after the rest of the family was supposedly found and murdered.
  • Dexter stops at some little convenience store along the way, and has sex with the girl working the register. This was apparently just a ruse to steal the gun she keeps under the counter.
  • With the encouragement of his ghost brother, Dexter speeds down the empty country roads shooting at street signs and billboards.
  • He stays at a motel, where the owner is immediately suspicious of him. The owner gives him directions into town so he can get something to eat, and instead of following them, Dexter walks straight into the guy’s cornfield, in full view of the guy, and finds that he’s growing pot.
  • Later on, he comes back and finds his knives, his forensics kit, and the gun have been stolen out of his car. The motel guy stole them and tries to blackmail Dexter. Dexter stabs him with a pitchfork, then somehow manages to dump him in the aforementioned silo. Still no clue how he got him up there.
  • He confronts Jonah a couple times and admits that he killed his father. Jonah eventually admits that he killed his mom, but his sister was suicide. Dexter decides not to kill him despite him knowing Dexter’s secret and having confessed to one murder, because Mos’ lesson about forgiveness has finally stuck. I’m sure this is a lesson he’ll remember the rest of the series.
  • Having left his ghost brother in Nebraska, he drives home and picks up hitchhiking ghost Harry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Someone brought up Dexter somehow carrying a body up to the top of a grain silo a while back, well I just watched that episode and it’s just full of the wildest stupid poo poo.

• Dexter is so affected somehow by the death of Mos Def's character, who he met only a handful of episodes ago, that he’s now seeing ghost Ice Truck Killer instead of Harry.
  • Deb tells Dexter that Trinity killed his wife and daughter. Between this and Mos’ death, she knows Dexter has had it rough and tells him to take some time off. She then spends the rest of the episode trying to get him to come back because she really just meant to take the afternoon off.
  • Knowing that Trinity is dead, Dexter logically figures that it was his surviving son Jonah who killed the family, something that nobody else even seems to have considered. So he sets off on a road trip to Nebraska to kill him.
  • Oh yeah, despite the fact that Trinity’s family was supposed to be in witness protection, their whereabouts are seemingly not a secret anymore, and they haven’t moved or given any protection to the son, even after the rest of the family was supposedly found and murdered.
  • Dexter stops at some little convenience store along the way, and has sex with the girl working the register. This was apparently just a ruse to steal the gun she keeps under the counter.
  • With the encouragement of his ghost brother, Dexter speeds down the empty country roads shooting at street signs and billboards.
  • He stays at a motel, where the owner is immediately suspicious of him. The owner gives him directions into town so he can get something to eat, and instead of following them, Dexter walks straight into the guy’s cornfield, in full view of the guy, and finds that he’s growing pot.
  • Later on, he comes back and finds his knives, his forensics kit, and the gun have been stolen out of his car. The motel guy stole them and tries to blackmail Dexter. Dexter stabs him with a pitchfork, then somehow manages to dump him in the aforementioned silo. Still no clue how he got him up there.
  • He confronts Jonah a couple times and admits that he killed his father. Jonah eventually admits that he killed his mom, but his sister was suicide. Dexter decides not to kill him despite him knowing Dexter’s secret and having confessed to one murder, because Mos’ lesson about forgiveness has finally stuck. I’m sure this is a lesson he’ll remember the rest of the series.
  • Having left his ghost brother in Nebraska, he drives home and picks up hitchhiking ghost Harry.

This is all so much worse than I remembered. And different, too. I thought Jonah came back in season 5, but for reasons I can't yet understand, I still remember that Mos Def was in season 6.

Anyway, my one small claim to fame on these here forums was coming up with the title for season 6. It was something like

Dexter S6: Olmos here, Mos Def better than S5. Colin Hanks.

Oh, that'd likely be how I remember all of that poo poo went down in s6.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is all so much worse than I remembered. And different, too. I thought Jonah came back in season 5, but for reasons I can't yet understand, I still remember that Mos Def was in season 6.

Jonah was also in season 5. Quinn suspected that Dexter was Kyle Butler, tracked Jonah down, and tried to show him a picture of Dexter, but was stopped by his FBI guard, who conveniently disappeared by the next season.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How could that poor gas station girl resist a pickup like such as "my mother was killed in front of me when I was a child. but there are no mothers around here I can see" or whatever

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not a tweet (well, at least not JUST a tweet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uvkztyy5U

The wonderful thing about Dexter Youtube is getting to see into the bizarre world where people like this exist:

quote:

Quinn and Deb were such a cute couple I wish Deb didn't die .. Quinn was so broke hearted and lost without her..

???????

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The wonderful thing about Dexter Youtube is getting to see into the bizarre world where people like this exist:

???????

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel with anyone outside of this thread. Like, we all pretty much agree that starting with s5, it went downhill, but there are WAY too many people out there who are all "this show just kept getting better and better, though I didn't really like the ending."

I mean, different strokes and all, but :psyduck:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Season 5 is much like Resident Evil 5 in that it gets too hard a time for not being the crown jewel of the series that preceded it. Likewise both 6th entries are total cow dung

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think season 5 is by far the weakest. It's a step down from any of the previous seasons, and 6 is where the show goes fully off the rails and becomes good for all the wrong reasons.

Like, what good things are in season 5? "I'm sorry for your loss," and the PI dude are all I can recall.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel with anyone outside of this thread. Like, we all pretty much agree that starting with s5, it went downhill, but there are WAY too many people out there who are all "this show just kept getting better and better, though I didn't really like the ending."

Its worst tendencies begin long before Season 5. I'm in the middle of Season 4 now and ghost dad is now inserting himself into regular scenes. In Season 3 Dexter used to have to go to Hazy Lens Land for a whole scene where he talks things over with Harry. Now Harry seems to be in the background of every scene and there will just be hazy cuts where he butts into a conversation for like a line.

I don't remember precisely but I feel like at some point they get so lazy that they don't even shoot Harry to be hazy and dreamlike anymore?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, like... Season 4 is schlocky and dumb, yes, but at that point, it at least had the promise and potential to lead to something that'd be a game changer. Maybe Dexter would be outted and caught. Maybe Quinn will figure him out. Maybe Trinity gets away, and gets even worse.

Or maybe, just maybe... 4 full years later, Dexter murders a man under police surveillance and nothing is done about it. At all.

Fuuuuuck this show.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

Its worst tendencies begin long before Season 5. I'm in the middle of Season 4 now and ghost dad is now inserting himself into regular scenes. In Season 3 Dexter used to have to go to Hazy Lens Land for a whole scene where he talks things over with Harry. Now Harry seems to be in the background of every scene and there will just be hazy cuts where he butts into a conversation for like a line.

I don't remember precisely but I feel like at some point they get so lazy that they don't even shoot Harry to be hazy and dreamlike anymore?

Ghost Harry was awful from the start. That's when the show started going downhill (season 3).

Ghost Harry can be entertaining in a dumb way (reunion, the diner car park), but that's when the show started breaking apart - when Dexter started talking to ghosts for some reason / started exhibiting Hollywood-schizophrenia.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Robocop was by far the best part of whatever season he was in

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I genuinely appreciated how the writers called out their own writing with his line "The gently caress kinda name is "Lumen", anyway?!"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Lumen brightens up the room :unsmith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

Ghost Harry was awful from the start. That's when the show started going downhill (season 3).

Ghost Harry can be entertaining in a dumb way (reunion, the diner car park), but that's when the show started breaking apart - when Dexter started talking to ghosts for some reason / started exhibiting Hollywood-schizophrenia.

He's extremely redundant. In a show with overwhelming interior monologue narration, why do you need another loving character for Dexter to run through his thoughts with?

I genuinely appreciated how the writers called out their own writing with his line "The gently caress kinda name is "Lumen", anyway?!"

Eh, you don't get to do this when it's your fault in the first place.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 17, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

He's extremely redundant. In a show with overwhelming interior monologue narration, why do you need another loving character for Dexter to run through his thoughts with?

Yeah, that too. Not sure what they thought they were adding to the show with that decision. I guess they really wanted to keep the actor in it :shrug:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
DEXTER: That's me. Dexter Morgan. I kill people, but only bad people. It's the code that my father taught to me. If I don't live by the code, I'll go to a very dark place. I have to kill but only by the code.
GHOST DAD: Dexter, I'm worried that you're straying from the code. Remember, you have to live by the code. If you don't follow the code, you'll become that which you hunt.
DEXTER: He's right. I have to follow the code. If I don't follow the code I would become a worthy victim of myself. Meaning that I would deserve to be killed, because that's what I do. I kill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Eh, you don't get to do this when it's your fault in the first place.

Oh, I agree. Maybe "appreciate" isn't the right word, but I liked hearing that line, because that's literally what the audience has been thinking since she was introduced.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

A movie where he faces off against Clint Eastwood in a battle of decrepit old crooked cop/do-gooder

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had several friends when the show was airing who had a seething hatred for it, starting with the intro. I can't even recall why specifically, but the film major friend especially had a long rant on how lovely it looked or the lighting or whatever with it. I thought the steak was pretty gross but liked the show at first and mostly ignored their heavy shade, but in retrospect, they had much better taste and instincts than I did. Tried rewatching it recently, never even finished the show, can't remember which season I stopped and only saw random bits thereafter, but geez, it is pretty loving bad, I remember thinking Michael C Hall was a pretty good actor, but idk, once the wool is lifted he's a pretty corny clown.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Season 4 is not as good as Season 1.

The Lithgow stuff is good, but the Kyle Butler facade gets stretched so thin and worn out so much.

I remember when Angel had, like, one scene a season. Like big reveal, we get a scene without other cops around and it turns out his wife threw him out. Now I gotta get like 5 minutes an episode of him and LaGuerta making kissy faces.

And scenes with Quinn and his girlfriend! Oh man she wants to put a label on their relationship, who gives a gently caress? If this character is just around for the gratuitous nudity (like every drat episode), find some other way to cram in gratuitous nudity. (edit: she's trinity's daughter? I don't remember that poo poo at all.)

Edit2: She's NOT his accomplice she was secretly helping him this is so stupid

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Season 5: OK it has happened. I thought I was going crazy because they were still doing hazy cam whenever ghost dad came around, but that's completely gone now, he's just a regular dude who shows up in normal shots.