Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The only scene I remember from Meet the Robinsons is the "I have a big head and little arms" one with the T-rex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wasn’t that a skit from Toy Story, too?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s the obligatory stock T-Rex gag. Like how if Abe Lincoln gets mentioned in any context anymore there will be a lol gay joke

E: though maybe it’s evolved past that since the early venture bros days

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Calaveron posted:

What's the general consensus on Disney's Meet the Robinsons? Because I'm watching it right now and it's just a whole lot of loving noise and lights and it's obnoxious beyond belief.

I despised it, it’s the worst of the 59 WDAS movies to me. I liked even Chicken Little more (but not by much)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Again Atlantis should've been a two-season tv series not a movie not to mention some massive plot holes need filling (the lost language would make more sense if everyone wasn't loving immortal).

EDIT: as not to double post, watching Fantasia 2000 again. Pomp and Circumstance is still the worst segment and given it's a replacement for an even worse idea. I do think people were harsher on than it deserve especially as the home video segment of the original Fantasia had cut out all the talking bits from the roadshow run (which is what D+ has), though yes the CGI of the Pines of Rome did not age that well - Rhapsody in Blue is still the best segment.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 15, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: as not to double post, watching Fantasia 2000 again. Pomp and Circumstance is still the worst segment and given it's a replacement for an even worse idea. I do think people were harsher on than it deserve especially as the home video segment of the original Fantasia had cut out all the talking bits from the roadshow run (which is what D+ has), though yes the CGI of the Pines of Rome did not age that well - Rhapsody in Blue is still the best segment.

My memory of Fantasia 2000 is walking as a sixth grade class downtown to the Imax to see it. It was like a 30 minute walk each way, and I marvel at the idea that such a field trip would come close to being okayed by any school administrator today. I got popcorn on the way out of the theatre (not the way in) so I could snack on the walk back.

Don't remember a thing about the movie, I should watch it again too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remember the Pines of Rome segment being astonishing when I saw the film in theater with my pop, but even back then I'd have agreed that Rhapsody in Blue and The Firebird were better bits.

I just looked up Eisner's idea for the Pomp and Circumstance (Disney princesses and heroes in a wedding procession carrying their future children). First off, :lol:, but secondly I think Disney has actual done that since then, so Eisner was actually ahead of the game.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just watched Eva 3+1 and... um... drat. Not really sure how to react to it. Though I really think it does a good job of mixing the good character work of 2.0 with the new elements introduced in 3.0.

I particularly like the first half of the movie which is much more grounded than I was expecting it to be. Ano is known for weird imagery and large scale action but he's actually at his best when he calms the gently caress down and focuses on people being people and I really hope he does more projects that capture that tone.

Then the second half happens which is a bit more of a mixed bag. There are too many weird new elements and as a result there are these incredibly long strings of expositional gibberish words talking about spears and doors and Adams inserted to keep you in the loop. I really wish the first and second halves were their own movies so they could spend the proper amount of time setting up certain things. Though, now that I think about it a lot of this is probably because 3.0, which should have served as an entry point into the new status quo, ended up being something of a rushed and confusing mess. Or maybe it was best to just throw this poo poo at the audience as fast as possible and get to the action rather than try to have it make any sense? Either way I think it handles these elements MUCH better than in 3.0 and the result are pretty engaging.

I'd also argue that some of the more experimental animation decisions the movie tries out just don't work. Some of the CG in particular was a bit underwhelming and often undermined otherwise fantastic action sequences. I was certainly never *bored* at any point though. I will remember a certain face until the day I die. :stare:

Overall it's a pretty solid sendoff to the series and definitely worth a watch if you're an Eva fan. Though I still think that EoE was still the best Eva movie. That's right I said it, YOU WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT!?

E: Also, lol at Marie still having no real reason to exist after 3 movies. I kind of like her anyways but still, lol.

E2: Also Asuka being technically legal now doesn't make the animator's shoving the camera up her rear end any less annoying. Stop ruining otherwise great properties with this poo poo Japan! :argh:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 15, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Eva 4.0: Attack and Dethrone God was certainly a movie! Many things were happening. Then it ended. It was cool to see how many studios contributed to all that stuff on screen in the credits. I like the new Utada Hikaru song.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I swear One More Kiss might just be tied with Cruel Angel’s Thesis for the catchiest song of the entire franchise, which seems… really fitting.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it’s incredibly catchy.

The ending of the Eva movie annoys me because Mari is such a nonentity as a character. I have a hard time connecting to any of the characters in Eva but she felt just like such a... not real person, even less so than the other homunculi that Anno created to work out his psychological issues and thoughts about interpersonal connection.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
loving Christ space jam 2 was bad but the classic 2d animation was lovely to see in a mainstream 2021 movie. And there was lots of it! Like a good 25-30 minutes before they get cg-ised and look like rear end

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I felt like the looney tunes didn't say or do very much. they all stood just over there!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been watching Natsume's Book of Friendship and I'm turning into a puddle after every episode. So many goddamn feelings, I didn't even think anime can hit that hard. It provokes tears, but in a positive, non-sacharrine way that's unique. Very much recommend (i'm 5 eps in, trying to save them).

Astonishingly mature handle on emotional story-telling.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

FunkyAl posted:

I felt like the looney tunes didn't say or do very much. they all stood just over there!

"We really need Speedy Gonzales, Elmer Fudd, and Yosemite Sam on our team!" and I do not believe any of the play a single second of basketball.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wait, why would did they think two short guys with guns would be good at basketball?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Das Boo posted:

Wait, why would did they think two short guys with guns would be good at basketball?

That was a tactic in the first movie :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Spine of Night is amazingly intense and beautiful, with really good voice work but holy balls is it ever a bad time. Ever wonder what would happen if Ralph Bakshi animated a Darren Aronofsky movie? It's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxNC7woYEwM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

star wars is anime and furry now, it's official

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle0NNmvIyU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I find it exceedingly funny that we were all told to "cut the anime poo poo because it won't get you a job" in art school, and then we all just went out and made anime poo poo.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I find it exceedingly funny that we were all told to "cut the anime poo poo because it won't get you a job" in art school, and then we all just went out and made anime poo poo.

whenever a board artist on my team asks for reference for an action scene, i'll send them the appropriate sakuga compilation

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Das Boo posted:

I mean, these are all done by japanese animation studios. Presumably those artists weren't directed away from anime quite as vociferously.

I'm looking forward to those Studio Trigger segments, though. :kamina:

I went back and watched Animatrix recently. Almost all of those hold up, and the worse ones ended up being the ones that attempt to tie into the larger story (Kid's Story, Final flight of the Osiris, and the two-parter about how the war started). Hopefully SW:Visions does the right thing and stays the gently caress away from existing continuity. That trailer gives me hope.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 17, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Das Boo posted:

To be fair, if I were an art school teacher I would absolutely never want to see another Goku* as long as I live.

* Or Ariel or Spongebob etc.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Megera posted:

whenever a board artist on my team asks for reference for an action scene, i'll send them the appropriate sakuga compilation

sakuga comps are the best.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Yeah.... the old guard who became animation professors were very shortsighted. And it's not like their draftmanship skill were all that great either. For example Mark Mayerson is a knowledable guy who ran Sheridan's animation program for years, but if you look at his actual art skills... this would not pass at any studio. And yet Sheridan is considered Canada's premier animation institute. https://mayersoncreative.com/comics/return_tripp/ch1.html

I know a fair amount of animation professors and while they're usually fairly funny, knowledgable guys, their actual skills are pretty weak. It's why I only did a year of animation school to get a work permit and then took classes online with guys who actually work at big studios. So far that's worked out, and I don't have the art school debt hanging over my head which is nice.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Megera posted:

Big time. I'm always getting references to Akira and EVA for tech design guidelines. Anime is a huge influence on any production I've been on where people give a poo poo.

Spencer Wan dropped out of art school and now works with both Western and Japanese studios because he can incorporate what makes anime look good into Western animation. (See: Castlevania and Owl House) We had a viewing party to see his work on Boruto and I had no idea what was going on but GODDAMN it was lovely.

Jake Wyatt gave me a rundown on the upcoming Superman show and it is extremely anime-inspired. He's a huge EVA nerd and he spent last summer studying a mangaka's pen techniques.

He hired me to work on Pantheon and we're also very anime-inspired, both in design and direction. I get to see DR MOVIE color on my BGs occasionally and it's pretty neat!

Anime is practically fused with Western animation now and while yes, you have to expand your horizons in art school, I do know of teachers who just loving hated and would not tolerate it. But knowing your anime and how to use it will go a long ways in actually getting you work.

Ccs posted:

Yeah.... the old guard who became animation professors were very shortsighted. And it's not like their draftmanship skill were all that great either. For example Mark Mayerson is a knowledable guy who ran Sheridan's animation program for years, but if you look at his actual art skills... this would not pass at any studio. And yet Sheridan is considered Canada's premier animation institute. https://mayersoncreative.com/comics/return_tripp/ch1.html

I know a fair amount of animation professors and while they're usually fairly funny, knowledgable guys, their actual skills are pretty weak. It's why I only did a year of animation school to get a work permit and then took classes online with guys who actually work at big studios. So far that's worked out, and I don't have the art school debt hanging over my head which is nice.

I know a poo poo-ton of successful people who dropped out/didn't go to art school and made their way by studying trends and noticing what actually looks good instead of what's taught. I can't in all good conscience recommend anyone go to art school unless their families are wealthy and they go to one of the like, 4 art schools guaranteed to get them connections. Which are all loving six-figure debt expensive. I went to a crummy art school and just got incredibly, incredibly lucky. Do not recommend.

You made a real good call.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lego Ninjago - first time watch for me

A very big "Are we doing this again? Fffffine." atmosphere but, tbh, after the travesty that was Space Jam 2, I'm so turned off by the IP-parading poo poo Warner Animation Group likes to do that this is almost a breath of fresh air.

Lego Movies and Lego Batman were fun for sure but it's hard to get enthused about all the IP they cram in, like did Lego Batman need to have fuckin Sauron and Voldemort and the Oz flying monkeys? Couldn't it have just been a DC movie? I think my opinion of that movie is going to get lesser over time.

I'm still watching Ninjago so I could be wrong but so far this seems like the least IP-orgiastic of the Lego Movies, and I commend it. It's just a fun genre romp using one Lego property only.

(watch me have egg on my face if like Neo and Trinity show up or some poo poo)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
"Don't Draw Anime" is just "Don't use other people's shortcuts."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FunkyAl posted:

"Don't Draw Anime" is just "Don't use other people's shortcuts."

I’ve been to art school twice, and both times half the freshman class was basically drawing exclusively cargo-cult Disney and anime. And many of them refusing to entertain the notion of drawing anything else. They really must be the bane of every art teacher’s existence. Do aspiring engineers start out thinking they already know everything about building bridges, I wonder?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Phylodox posted:

I’ve been to art school twice, and both times half the freshman class was basically drawing exclusively cargo-cult Disney and anime. And many of them refusing to entertain the notion of drawing anything else. They really must be the bane of every art teacher’s existence. Do aspiring engineers start out thinking they already know everything about building bridges, I wonder?

I bet there's one guy with a really crappy bridge he drew and he's mad someone is making him learn math.

As an aside, the guy who designed the main building at my art school faked his degree

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

I bet there's one guy with a really crappy bridge he drew and he's mad someone is making him learn math.

As an aside, the guy who designed the main building at my art school faked his degree

now that's what I call "fake it 'till you make it"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phylodox posted:

You're not wrong and there were definitely people missing fundamentals, but it seemed weirdly... personal at my school? Like I was allowed to reference Boulet for a contemporary comic artist but not Oda, who's a huge influence on Boulet. My 2D animation instructor was ex-Disney and would dock us if we animated on 3s, ever. Even when it looked better. No real reason other than it was "wrong," which it patently isn't.

Takehito Harada is a big-rear end influence on how I color and that's fine as long as I got range. But I didn't feel comfortable talking about anime with other artists again until working with Jake because it was so hammered into my head that it was verboten in Western animation.

Disney xerox was also a-okay at my school, so YMMV.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, teachers are people with prejudices and weird foibles, too, I guess. I had a painting teacher who absolutely forbade the use of black paint and a digital art teacher who insisted RGB stood for Red/Green/Black. Because red and green could be mixed to make blue on a computer. I couldn’t convince her otherwise.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i think everyone's like a little bit better about that now bc 1. backlash and 2. more and more professors themselves have grown up w/a nime

anime has reached such critical saturation across the entertainment industry that purposely herding students away from it holds them back. just tell them to practice their fundamentals and study life so they understand their symbols, and how to modify them for different use cases

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sliami posted:

i think everyone's like a little bit better about that now bc 1. backlash and 2. more and more professors themselves have grown up w/a nime

anime has reached such critical saturation across the entertainment industry that purposely herding students away from it holds them back. just tell them to practice their fundamentals and study life so they understand their symbols, and how to modify them for different use cases

Yar, this! You simply need to be able to do other things on top of it because unless daddy is a legacy, your bankable skill is gonna be your ability to adapt others' styles well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My third year animation teacher had never seen the Lion King and refused to because she didn’t want to watch kids movies

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

To an extent its also connected with the history of the labor movement in animation where California for a long time had the production dominance for all of the animated features and most of the tv shows produced for syndication. At a certain point there was a big fight over outsourcing and, while I can't remember the specifics, the guild lost and lots of tv animation started being sent to Asia. A lot of mediocre animators who weren't good enough to get into the big feature places lost their jobs. Some of them immigrated to Canada to work at placed like Nelvana, others became animation professors, other held out at the last bastions like Filmation, but even it eventually shut its doors, some transitioned into pre-production roles or went into commercials, or got good enough to break into feature.

But there's a lot of pent up resentment towards Asian media from that generation of animators because of that labor dispute. It's the same feelings that vfx artists current have towards India, the place where every big vfx studio starts threatening to move everything when talk of organizing goes around. A certain large vfx studio used to train junior compositors in Montreal, but then decided to move the whole operation to Bangalore. And California has become a ghost town for vfx, as studios flee for tax-credit havens like London, Australia, or Canada. But the whole existence of the entire industry in those locations is predicated on the free money the government gives to those productions. Eventually, if the Asian workforce is trained enough to do senior level Hollywood shots at numerous enough quantities, the western vfx industry will probably vanish. The current demand for content though is so massive that the commonwealth countries are still flooded with work. Also the issues of a giant global pandemic ripping through India to a greater extent than anywhere else (except the US, haha) has made a lot of vfx vendors skittish about basing all of their operations there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

My third year animation teacher had never seen the Lion King and refused to because she didn’t want to watch kids movies

Sounds like she owned

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Roth posted:

Sounds like she owned

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I loved art school. My animation program was experimental and made time to teach everyone Stop motion and 16mm basics. One professor was all about overexposing stuff and trick photography principles. There was a class where you drew a cube in the round at 30 second intervals to see how it rotated. You could nap in the library