Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Warad posted:

It's not that it's "bad" it just seems for some ungodly reason Dice decided to have call outs not just be "Enemy Spotted" now it's "Enemy spotted at 200 degrees 200 meters away" and since spotting has always been spammed hearing that constantly is already really old and really annoying.
I would love for Operation Flashpoint/ArmA style OH NO ONE IS DOWN auto callouts to be added to Battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLPTm7TWmBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

In my opinion, player movement seems way too fast and too arcade-y. Additionally, are there still no animations for getting in and out of vehicles?

Yeah player movement is a little fast. People in clips are sliding all over the place. I smell sweat...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

In my opinion, player movement seems way too fast and too arcade-y. Additionally, are there still no animations for getting in and out of vehicles?

Yeah I saw one but it looked quick on the video. The movement is probably fast because of Call of Duty and the map size, but it's still a beta

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I hated the spotting in V plus the player models made it unplayable for me.

I can take the lack of spotting but are the most lau models at least visible?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's hard to say because it's a bright day map without much debris so all the player models stand out on it. The test will be on darker and busier maps, though I will say that none of the maps previewed so far have showcased the endless grey and brown rocks and debris that most of the base BFV maps were known for.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
There's also a lack of shader effects in the game which can improve or hamper player visibility

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
BF4 is better, but BF3 is definitely better at some things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccs3z7IV27w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvDXu6VoWY

jisforjosh posted:

There's also a lack of shader effects in the game which can improve or hamper player visibility
This might just be an artifact of all of the leaked footage appearing to run the game on fairly low settings

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

All these people making videos as if 2142 wasn't obviously the best one

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

With how close together BF3 and BF4 came out, the engine tech can't have been that different, right? I wish they'd just updated all the BF3 maps for BF4, especially the Armored Kill maps, I really enjoyed those. And nothing in BF4 came close to that initial first rush of jumping off the cliff in Damavand Peak, Rush.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

The United States posted:

This might just be an artifact of all of the leaked footage appearing to run the game on fairly low settings

The technical test apparently runs on medium/low regardless of setting which is why all the leaked footage shows it on low

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

The technical test apparently runs on medium/low regardless of setting which is why all the leaked footage shows it on low
Yeah that's what I mean. The visibility might not be so good once the settings are turned up, but all we have is low settings footage right now.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

With how close together BF3 and BF4 came out, the engine tech can't have been that different, right? I wish they'd just updated all the BF3 maps for BF4, especially the Armored Kill maps, I really enjoyed those. And nothing in BF4 came close to that initial first rush of jumping off the cliff in Damavand Peak, Rush.
Nothing in BF4 MP comes close to Damavand Rush, and nothing in the SP comes close to the jet takeoff or russian skydive. But overall the MP maps are better and the gadgets and the very well chosen mix of vehicles provide a much greater depth of tactical options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MoREEHCkdE

But tech-wise, almost all the Battlefield games come in pairs. BF1942 + Vietnam, BF2 + 2142, Bad Company 1 + 2, BF3 + 4, BF1 + V, Star Wars Battlefront 1 + 2, BF2042 + ???

(I think you could argue that BF2:MC PS2/Xbox gen + PS360 gen count as a pair as well)

I don't know if that makes it trivial to port maps even between close pairs, however.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 16, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ive said this before ITT, but rush peaked with BF3 and BF4+ rush was terrible mostly due to map design. I think a big problem with all the games from BF4 onward is that there's been way too many game modes that its impossible to design a map that will be fun to play in all modes. They had to prioritize what mode will work the best on the maps and they chose conquest with BF4 whereas with BC2 and BF3, they focused on rush for the maps which is why most of those maps were very linear

Going forward with 2042, I really hope they drastically pair down the amount of modes available to just Operations, Conquest, Rush, and TDM. We dont really know anything concrete about Hazard Zone but im willing to bet it will be its own map if the rumors and leaks are accurate. Let the community make more game modes in Portal and if they become popular, great.

That all being said, after seeing the first map, Im not confident that it will be fun to play in rush. There's a ton of dead open space inbetween points that will suck to push through while getting shot at by defenders. Im not even sure that rush could work with 128 players. Itd be a drat nightmare trying to arm an objective that 64 players are guarding

Maybe theyll drop rush entirely, but I kind of doubt that will happen. I guess we'll see how this all shakes out soon enough tho :shrug:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Frontlines is better than rush anyway

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

Frontlines is better than rush anyway

This.

Operations is basically Rush, anyways.

Also Frontlines benefits from playable area being relatively narrow, so is compatible with Operations focused design anyways.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 17, 2021

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Ive said this before ITT, but rush peaked with BF3 and BF4+ rush was terrible mostly due to map design. I think a big problem with all the games from BF4 onward is that there's been way too many game modes that its impossible to design a map that will be fun to play in all modes. They had to prioritize what mode will work the best on the maps and they chose conquest with BF4 whereas with BC2 and BF3, they focused on rush for the maps which is why most of those maps were very linear

Going forward with 2042, I really hope they drastically pair down the amount of modes available to just Operations, Conquest, Rush, and TDM. We dont really know anything concrete about Hazard Zone but im willing to bet it will be its own map if the rumors and leaks are accurate. Let the community make more game modes in Portal and if they become popular, great.

That all being said, after seeing the first map, Im not confident that it will be fun to play in rush. There's a ton of dead open space inbetween points that will suck to push through while getting shot at by defenders. Im not even sure that rush could work with 128 players. Itd be a drat nightmare trying to arm an objective that 64 players are guarding

Maybe theyll drop rush entirely, but I kind of doubt that will happen. I guess we'll see how this all shakes out soon enough tho :shrug:

I hope that by having really large maps, they select portions of a map that will work best for game modes like rush. Select a long thin portion with several defensive positions. Conquest: open the whole map up baby.

Also yes they'll have 64 players defending. They'd also have 64 players attacking.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cpt Soban posted:

I hope that by having really large maps, they select portions of a map that will work best for game modes like rush. Select a long thin portion with several defensive positions. Conquest: open the whole map up baby.

Also yes they'll have 64 players defending. They'd also have 64 players attacking.

They definitely don't need a giant map for rush--hell, they could probably do several different rush routes per actual conquest map, even in 4, so you don't know which part of the metro/prison/downtown Shanghai you'll actually be rushing through while it's loading.

e and what exactly is "Frontline," I can't usually find a full server of it to play on console to figure it out

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

They definitely don't need a giant map for rush--hell, they could probably do several different rush routes per actual conquest map, even in 4, so you don't know which part of the metro/prison/downtown Shanghai you'll actually be rushing through while it's loading.

e and what exactly is "Frontline," I can't usually find a full server of it to play on console to figure it out

https://youtu.be/ibbdW2Kl6hg

Looks like someone archived 2042 playtest media

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10ypnFLpqsj_v4bg4x1jjMEeVwEXwHNHE?usp=sharing

kri kri fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 17, 2021

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah that sounds like a great idea- Mix it up, have random routes. Old school rush you knew exactly where each objective was, where the best defensible spot was, and where to attack.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Half the semi-recent maps can be just straight up ported into 128 player 2042. I mean take a look at Dragon Pass for example.

I find it weird though that so many are against metro under pretenses of "something something choke point" but want rush to be more prevalent?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I never understood Metro. It just caters to the "muh K/D" crowd and is the least BF of all BF maps. No vehicles and all just tunnels. It sucks in every iteration.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hopper posted:

I never understood Metro. It just caters to the "muh K/D" crowd and is the least BF of all BF maps. No vehicles and all just tunnels. It sucks in every iteration.

Yeah, never got that. The best map was Noshahr Canals TDM 24/7 :q:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hopper posted:

Sounds like you understand it just fine, you just don't like it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Metro + shotgun = fun

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I enjoy Metro type maps every once in a while just for the pure chaos. It's a nice palate cleanser after a ton of big map conquest.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the thing with metro when compared to normal rush maps is that when its stalemated at B point, there are literally only 2 flank routes and they are both hallways. When 32 ppl are defending 1 main route and 2 side routes, flanking becomes nearly impossible.

With any other rush map, there are countless flanking opportunities and most of the time they are outdoors instead of hallways, making flanking a much more viable option even tho the overall map design is still linear

That all being said, I do enjoy a round of metro from time to time to just shut my brain off and blind fire into hallways, but it would really loving suck if every map was like that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I like metro/locker for when I get tired of running or driving for a minute and half between deaths; I'd rather get my adrenaline rush and get straight to that redeploy screen. Also, locker does have some strategy to it--if a good squad of recons and medics can get directly to the enemy spawn and bypass the deadlock at C, they can save their team from a slow loss, spawn trap the enemy team, or even just move the fight to the more interesting parts of the interior. Support with mortars can stop this--if they're positioned correctly. Recon is actually useful if they use motion detectors and spawn beacons creatively, the MPAPSPMPM gadget the support class carries can stop waves of explosions at choke points that normally ice whole squads, and engineers can make things miserable for the bad guys with slam mines and RPGs. It seems like PS4 players are tired of metro though, I don't really see any 24/7 servers for that anymore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Locker is okay. Metro is bad.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Locker is a significantly better map than Metro, yes

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

TWENTY FOUR SEVEN OP LOCKER NO NADES MUST PUSH NO CAMPING AUTO BALANCE ON CHRISTIAN GAMING HARDCORE ONLY ~NO PROFANITY 24/7 MODERATION~

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/1427646398762151936

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dead Like Rev posted:

TWENTY FOUR SEVEN OP LOCKER NO NADES MUST PUSH NO CAMPING AUTO BALANCE ON CHRISTIAN GAMING HARDCORE ONLY ~NO PROFANITY 24/7 MODERATION~

Despite twenty plus years of trying, I still cannot reconcile no-profanity rules on servers for games about murdering other humans with explosives and automatic weapons.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

MrYenko posted:

Despite twenty plus years of trying, I still cannot reconcile no-profanity rules on servers for games about murdering other humans with explosives and automatic weapons.

meanwhile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6re369oDWjk

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Cqc servers are for leveling and unlocking attachments

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I want that guy on my team.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

MrYenko posted:

I got banned from one cause I kept saying gently caress and got frustrated and said "Jesus isn't real you made him up!"

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It was kinda dumb that we got metro instead of Kirkland or something when vanilla BF4 already had a better version of it in locker

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hopper posted:

BF3 had a pretty harsh grind, no surprise that players gravitated to the best map for grinding.

DICE, looking at their telemetry: THIS MUST MEAN PLAYERS LOVE INFANTRY ONLY GRINDFESTS THE BEST

Put it this way, if you look at my playtime for TF2, I spent more time on idle servers than all other servers combined, but that doesn't mean that's what I want out of TF2.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

FrancisFukyomama posted:

It was kinda dumb that we got metro instead of Kirkland or something when vanilla BF4 already had a better version of it in locker

It's Kirkand but I really wouldn't mind a Kirkland map lol

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

It's Kirkand but I really wouldn't mind a Kirkland map lol

Would really love to battle the covidiot TP hoarders honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MrYenko posted:

I miss BF 3 tourettes medic. When my guy is yelling about getting hosed up the rear end by a tank (it's a big fucker, watch out) and the medic is telling me to go to hell while reviving me, I don't get why you wouldn't be able to tell the other team to eat poo poo.