Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Raylax posted:

hardcover art book (those ones that come with a ton of limited editions these days), soundtrack disk and Behind The Scenes DVD. Which I'd completely forgotten about and now that I'm into dark souls I'm gonna have to give a watch some time

i got the same one, artbook is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
yeah, I was just flicking through it, some interesting stuff in there. The fat official from DeS riding an unarmoured boar, a very bloodborne-looking guy in victorian attire weilding a crossbow, and a couple monsters I don't think made the cut into the final game (unless I'm forgetting) like a non-lava version of DeS's bugbears probably intended for the blightown swamp

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

dog nougat posted:

Recommend puppeteer cuz it's cute as heck and pretty drat fun and resonance of fate is a pretty cool take on JRPGs, although it did get a remaster of some sort on ps4.

Did it? I thought that one was still a PS3 exclusive, though I do think it was given away on PS+ at some point.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Primarily to save your console by preventing wear on the optical drive and getting better fan control and temp monitoring. There are a ton of other benefits, but that's a biggie. They're not making any more of the things.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Baggot posted:

Did it? I thought that one was still a PS3 exclusive, though I do think it was given away on PS+ at some point.

Not only was it never a PS3 exclusive since a contemporary Xbox 360 version existed, but now that it's remastered it's even on PC.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

lol I was talking about Puppeteer. I know Resonance of Fate is on PS4 now too. I now see that I misread the post I was quoting. Whoops.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh yeah, Puppeteer is 100% PS3 exclusive and mostly forgotten other than being mentioned in "hidden gems" videos/posts. It didn't sell a million copies so Sony disowned it much like they did with Gravity Rush and Driveclub.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Last week I did an Ebay sweep and spent 58€... :shepspends:

The most expensive was Killzone for the PS2 and is on fantastic conditions, manual, disc... for 10€

I already have Vanquish and Armored Core 4 and AC4A on my Xbox 360 so, I wonder what should I aim for next... Maybe AssCreed Revelations to complete the Ezio Trilogy? I played a bit of Black Flag on my 360 (Xbox Gold) and looked really fun too.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. So many weird, dated things with the ui/ux. Downloaded some old digital games, totally forgot that you then need to manually install them after downloading.

Not like I have money for a computer even remotely capable it, but what's the state of ps3 emulation like these days?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Speaking of For Answer. When I first played it, one of the infamous fortress missions ran at like 5 fps but I remember somehow accidentally fixing it so it ran at like 15 so I could actually complete the mission.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't think I have a copy anymore.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, Puppeteer is 100% PS3 exclusive and mostly forgotten other than being mentioned in "hidden gems" videos/posts. It didn't sell a million copies so Sony disowned it much like they did with Gravity Rush and Driveclub.

I'm not sure if that's fair. Sony has done quite a bit of 'historical preservation' over the years as far as their games go, and even on projects that haven't sold all that much. Some stuff slips through the cracks, sure, (especially if we're talking gen 7) but both Gravity Rush and Driveclub are poor comparisons because they each involve way different circumstances and studio politics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Last week I did an Ebay sweep and spent 58€... :shepspends:

The most expensive was Killzone for the PS2 and is on fantastic conditions, manual, disc... for 10€

my dude....

YES

dog nougat posted:

Not like I have money for a computer even remotely capable it, but what's the state of ps3 emulation like these days?

extremely impressive stuff coming from RPCS3
https://rpcs3.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGXHrmfQrzs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsLVfST-z8

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat! That looks good af.

Ps3 still fun to play.

Been playing oddworld: munch's Odyssey HD. Kinda a junky and weird, but I played the poo poo out of it on the OG Xbox, a nice nostalgia trip. Hot drat do the ps3 controllers suck rear end though. I don't recall the trigger springs being so stiff back in the day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You need a super powerful pc to play things like MGS4 even at their original resolution. Hopefully that changes with optimization.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Playing Killzone (PS2) on my PS3 using the disc. Looks absolutely horrible (last I played that game was in 2005 on a hacked PS2) but feels amazing to actually be able to run old stuff on this machine from a DVD.

I'll get a 500gb HDD and slap CFW on this beauty soon :getin:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Playing Killzone (PS2) on my PS3 using the disc. Looks absolutely horrible (last I played that game was in 2005 on a hacked PS2) but feels amazing to actually be able to run old stuff on this machine from a DVD.

I'll get a 500gb HDD and slap CFW on this beauty soon :getin:

I have the HD version or whatever it was that was released on ps3. It has not aged well at all. I remember when it came out it was touted as a halo killer. It's been a while since I played it, but as recall there are some really weird control choices.

Wish I hadn't bought a super slim when I (relbought my ps3, I'd love to CFW and all that entails. Having to essentially load a hack every time I boot my system is too drat much for me tbh, so I'll just keep this thing stock and suffer for it. Maybe someday I'll get around to getting a regular slim instead, know that getting an OG fat w/ BC is a pipe dream.

Is it possible to run PS1/PS2 games directly off the HDD on a CFW PS3? If so, that makes it a bit more of an enticing prospect.

Edit: looked it up and it sure is. Guess I should look into cfw a bit more and figure out if I wanna deal with HEN on a super slim

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 14, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah the control scheme on Killzone is weird but at the same time is fully customizable to modern standards (you can remap every button but the dpad). The only lovely thing is that the vertical aim sensitivity is about 0.33x of the horizontal axis but you can adjust it to taste too.

Definitely gonna get the HD edition or whatever just to not play it in an horrible aspect ratio. I'll do the CFW and HDD swap at the end of this month when I get two weeks off so I can at least play some.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any tips on deep cleaning DS3s? The used ones I got are pretty grimy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any tips on deep cleaning DS3s? The used ones I got are pretty grimy.

If you are not going to open them completely, I use a plastic pry tool (the ones you'd use to open all kinds of controllers, phones or consoles) to clean up the small joint between the front and back body parts. A q-tip with some alcochol for the base of the stick and for the rest a toothbrush or one of these makeup remover discs with alcohol (enough that it doesn't drip). Always avoid using metal tools as you'll end denting the plastic on any controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks. Any tips for opening it up completely?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thanks. Any tips for opening it up completely?

Be careful not to lose the little spring for the triggers, but otherwise its just 5 screws and some prying. The top part with the shoulder and trigger buttons is a little different based on the revision but that is the most likely place for things to come apart when you are opening it.

Many of my DS3s had an issue with random inputs. I solved that on all of them by adding some shims under the ribbon cable on the main board so it made better contact with its receptor, I highly recommend doing that if you are opening it and have noticed any random inputs, particularly if they show up when you squeeze or twist the controller.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hal it was really funny when you messaged me a while ago about me playing Binary Domain.

Keeping that ps3 alive!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hal Insandenza posted:

Be careful not to lose the little spring for the triggers, but otherwise its just 5 screws and some prying. The top part with the shoulder and trigger buttons is a little different based on the revision but that is the most likely place for things to come apart when you are opening it.

Many of my DS3s had an issue with random inputs. I solved that on all of them by adding some shims under the ribbon cable on the main board so it made better contact with its receptor, I highly recommend doing that if you are opening it and have noticed any random inputs, particularly if they show up when you squeeze or twist the controller.

Thanks. I’m having some issues putting back together the triggers on an earlier model DS3. The assembly detached from the plastic circuit board or whatever you call it. Also one of the rumble wires broke off from the board as well. Any tips on reattaching that wire again easily?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Hal it was really funny when you messaged me a while ago about me playing Binary Domain.

Keeping that ps3 alive!

You just reminded me to get a copy of Binary Domain on PS360! I loved that game on PC. Big Bo knows... :haw:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any terrible ports, of otherwise good games, I need to watch out for, other than Fallout New Vegas?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guillermus posted:

You just reminded me to get a copy of Binary Domain on PS360! I loved that game on PC. Big Bo knows... :haw:

That was SWEEEEEET! I really wish Binary Domain would get a sequel, it's an amazing 1980's action movie in videogame form :sigh:. Or at least a remaster on current-gen consoles.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there any terrible ports, of otherwise good games, I need to watch out for, other than Fallout New Vegas?

Skyrim's hosed for the same reason iirc; every little bit of progression just adds on to the memory until your save's perma-hosed because it chugs to death.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

IIRC Armored Core 4 is rear end on 360, good on PS3 and the opposite is true for For Answer. Bayonetta got patched but it's still the worst version.

Aaaand then there's Shadow of Mordor.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think the PS3 version of Bayonetta is supposed to be the worst one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

IIRC Armored Core 4 is rear end on 360, good on PS3 and the opposite is true for For Answer. Bayonetta got patched but it's still the worst version.

I own AC4 and 4A on my 360 so how does it work?

AC4 PS3 > Xbox360
AC4A Xbox360 > PS3 ?

Binary Domain PS3 is expensive on Ebay, the Xbox 360 one is way cheaper (and easier) to get. Next week when I get some days off, I'll get that new HDD for my PS3. There's a 500gb Toshiba for 28€ on Amazon (best seller) but some people reported that they're refurbished or not coming with the original package while for 32€ there's a 500Gb Seagate Barracuda direct from the manufacturer (or 41€ for 1tb). Any recommendations?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

To be fair, Armored Core 4 is rear end for more than performance reasons :v:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I own AC4 and 4A on my 360 so how does it work?

AC4 PS3 > Xbox360
AC4A Xbox360 > PS3 ?

Correct

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Armored Core 4 is rear end for more than performance reasons :v:.

Incorrect

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool. If I get PS3 copies along with my 360 ones is for pure hoarding. I tried playing AC4 and AC4A years ago and bounced really hard.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

I think the PS3 version of Bayonetta is supposed to be the worst one.

Oh yeah I remember that being bad. I have it on Switch so I’m good there.

Binary Domain looks rad so I’ll be grabbing that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Binary Domain looks rad so I’ll be grabbing that.

Same, it’s on my list!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Binary Domain is Big Bo approved!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Binary Domain is criminally underrated imo. Has a bunch of different endings and some of the characters are drat cool. The actual shooting was surprisingly fun.

Big Bo is a treasure.

(really minor spoiler but don't watch if you didn't play it yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m7QjqemJRc

:allears:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My collection, sorry about the bad photo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bowmore posted:

My collection, sorry about the bad photo

Great stuff there

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I still need to play The Force Unleashed, I hear it's a pretty good SW game. How's the sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

I still need to play The Force Unleashed, I hear it's a pretty good SW game. How's the sequel?

Worse.