Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Ultra Carp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cruft posted:

I think that house rules. I might even consider buying it if I had $800k and wanted to live anywhere near there.
I would hate keeping all that grout clean.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Inner Light posted:

I live in the city and am fairly familiar with values here. That is a great neighborhood, old building though. There are probably condition issues not apparent from the photos. It is priced to sell because 1BR units can be difficult to move, even in a neighborhood like that. There is no parking included, and street parking will be functionally impossible in that area (very dense). Will probably run you $150-200 a month at least.

It seems like a fair price, but I agree with the other poster it is probably artificially low due to some undisclosed financial or reserve issues that would come out in the buying process. Something tells me they don't have a recent reserve study, which an old large building like that absolutely should.

My 2B/2BA condo a few miles north of there has a $300 HOA, but we don't have a pool.

thanks. the listing does say it includes a garage parking spot. I would think you could easily live there without a car though anyway? that's the main reason chicago appeal to me - lots of condos, and lots of density.

there's another van der Rohe building at 880 Lake Shore Drive in Streeterville, which I know is a very bougie area. I'm wondering if it has the same issues.

I know my condo does a reserve study every three years, they might be legally required in this state - not sure

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 19, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would hate keeping all that grout clean.

LOL, that is an excellent point!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

brugroffil posted:

What's the cost on a unit like that?

I want to say we spent around $3200 for our unit and the install. I miss having the nice big open fireplace, and depending on the wood you use it might dirty up the glass and you don't get to enjoy the view, but it's still so totally worth it and makes everything so much more efficient and convenient.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MilShap posted:

Future PO with a question I’m hoping for any insight on.

1926 home with brick/terracotta foundation, we are being told it needs a new foundation someday sometime somewhere in the future. Full basement, partially finished. Only managed to book one estimate during the inspection period, and still don’t have the hard numbers.

The cost is one thing, but I’m wondering if in the process I have to lose and redo the partially finished area and/or the outdoor deck if excavation is needed?

Does anyone have any experience with having their foundation fully replaced in a home with a full basement already?

Thank you all, any insight is appreciated greatly.

if they need to work on the walls you'll lose any of your "finishedness" against those exterior walls most likely. It's hard to say 100% without knowing what exactly needs to be done, but if they need to replace /refinish portions of your foundation that generally means basement, and you will probably lose anything that would block access to the actual concrete / foundation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MilShap posted:

1926 home with brick/terracotta foundation, we are being told it needs a new foundation someday sometime somewhere in the future. Full basement, partially finished. Only managed to book one estimate during the inspection period, and still don’t have the hard numbers.

The cost is one thing, but I’m wondering if in the process I have to lose and redo the partially finished area and/or the outdoor deck if excavation is needed?

Does anyone have any experience with having their foundation fully replaced in a home with a full basement already?

gently caress. That. Noise.

If you can get a full, guaranteed (lol) estimate done before contract negotiations that’s one thing, but I wouldn’t go near that thing with someone else’s bulldozer, let alone put an offer on it. There are easier and more entertaining ways to become bankrupt.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Ultra Carp

MilShap posted:

Wait, you're buying a place that needs a new foundation? You don't already own it?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Arsenic Lupin posted:

These people built their dream house, and it shows. Oh, how it shows.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12773-Pine-Ave_Potter-Valley_CA_95469_M24008-44085#photo1

e: Don't miss the bathroom. They've broken incoming links, so go see photo 20 and marvel.

It looks great to me. Why yes I have been dry sanding a lot of leaded paint lately!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Wait, you're buying a place that needs a new foundation? You don't already own it?

also this.. I would not purchase this home.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

actionjackson posted:

thanks. the listing does say it includes a garage parking spot. I would think you could easily live there without a car though anyway? that's the main reason chicago appeal to me - lots of condos, and lots of density.

there's another van der Rohe building at 880 Lake Shore Drive in Streeterville, which I know is a very bougie area. I'm wondering if it has the same issues.

I know my condo does a reserve study every three years, they might be legally required in this state - not sure

You definitely don't need a car depending on where you work. Transit around the city is pretty good, and bikes/rideshare can get you the rest of the way. It's nice for groceries, but in that area you should have grocery stores in walking distance. The only other thing it's really necessary for is travelling to the suburbs or picking up big things, and you can always do Zipcar or something like that, if you only need a car occasionally.

MilShap
Mar 8, 2019
Advice is super noted and appreciated y’all. Have not bought it yet, just helping my thinking process.

We have the money we would need to do what needs to be done, and we do love the house. It helps to hear all the nopes though. Thanks

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

So this area where the drywall looks fucky started sweating today. I thought it was just a patch that looked weird but it seems like it’s actually water damaged. The tile under is also very cracked in that area and there’s some big chunks of grout missing. I figured when we moved in that there was just an overflow at some point because the other side of that wall (my closet) was mildewy, but now I’m a little more worried because it’s been dripping water. It has not been raining and as far as I know, there is no sort of piping in that spot, it all goes straight down to the basement. I noticed the toilet tank sweating from heat/humidity. Can it just be traveling down the lovely grout and up the wall? I’m pretty worried and it’s now just another thing stressing me the gently caress out. Last thing I need to deal with is water damage and loving mold.

Edit: ope, pic

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 20, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Do you have air conditioning?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I have one of those tube window units, but that’s it. Most places don’t have AC here.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Drywall is already forked, might as well pop a hole and see where that water is coming from. I have seen toilets with enough sweat to cause water damage but that seems unlikely.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ball Tazeman posted:

I have one of those tube window units, but that’s it. Most places don’t have AC here.

My theory was that an AC vent was blowing cold air right there and causing condensation but it sounds like that's not what's happening!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ball Tazeman posted:

So this area where the drywall looks fucky started sweating today. I thought it was just a patch that looked weird but it seems like it’s actually water damaged. The tile under is also very cracked in that area and there’s some big chunks of grout missing. I figured when we moved in that there was just an overflow at some point because the other side of that wall (my closet) was mildewy, but now I’m a little more worried because it’s been dripping water. It has not been raining and as far as I know, there is no sort of piping in that spot, it all goes straight down to the basement. I noticed the toilet tank sweating from heat/humidity. Can it just be traveling down the lovely grout and up the wall? I’m pretty worried and it’s now just another thing stressing me the gently caress out. Last thing I need to deal with is water damage and loving mold.

Edit: ope, pic

Water goes down. The source is at or above the area of highest water damage. It's causing the grout issue, not the other way around.

First things that come to mind:

Stack vent is leaking. The stack is a pipe goes up through your roof, and when the vent stack boot goes bad, you get water running down it every time it rains. It is usually within a couple feet of the toilet location, so it could very well be in the side wall.

As noted: A/C condensate leak. If you have an A/C unit/air handler in an attic space above the bathroom, it might be clogged. However, you would typically see more widespread water damage starting at the ceiling & working its way down.

The condensation on the toilet tank is probably due to the raised humidity in the bathroom due to whatever is leaking behind the wall.

While you will have to open the drywall to repair it, I would consider having the stack vent boot on the roof checked first.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Need some help from bidet experts! Costco has a lower spec's toto c200 for 300 bucks, but is missing the dryer, premist, and deodorizer. Are those essential features worth waiting for stock and paying an extra 200?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PageMaster posted:

Need some help from bidet experts! Costco has a lower spec's toto c200 for 300 bucks, but is missing the dryer, premist, and deodorizer. Are those essential features worth waiting for stock and paying an extra 200?

That’s a pretty good deal. If you’re installing one for the first time, I don’t think you’re going to miss any of that stuff; Any bidet at all is better than not having one.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

While you will have to open the drywall to repair it, I would consider having the stack vent boot on the roof checked first.

I had this, and it's an easy fix. My drywall damage was on the ceiling but looked almost the same. I picked up a Vent Pipe Rain Collar and just slid it over the existing boot. The part is like $5 at Menards.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PageMaster posted:

I don't know what it takes to be a bidet expert, but I've been squirting my butthole for 15+ years now. We currently have a Kohler Puretide, which is not heated and doesn't have a fan. It just squirts cold water into your crack. I installed it in about 10 minutes and didn't need to do any electrical work, which means I can still poop when the power is out. Something to think about.

Everyone in the family thinks it's just great.

MrYenko posted:

That’s a pretty good deal. If you’re installing one for the first time, I don’t think you’re going to miss any of that stuff; Any bidet at all is better than not having one.

This is a sage poster.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PageMaster posted:

I had an outlet put in next to my toilet as part of my bathroom reno so I could put in an electric bidet. I'm using the alpha gx wave which I would highly recommend over toto

https://bidetking.com/products/alpha-gx-wave-bidet-toilet-seat

the main reasons being:

1) the alpha has a night light, toto does not. The night light is the absolute best feature imo, especially if you are male. being able to pee at night without turning on the bathroom light is fantastic.
2) the alpha is much less bulky (the height of the back part where the water basin is is a couple inches shorter)
3) only 299, and right now it's 40% off at bidet king

It also has a dryer, though bidet dryers are pretty crappy imo. I'm using it with a toto toilet so the flush already does a really good job of getting debris off

if you really want a remote, I'd get the next highest up which is the gxr wave

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 20, 2021

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I’m honestly feeling overwhelmed and way in over my head with the water damage. I really just don’t know where to start or what to do, or if we hire somebody, what kind of contractor would we hire? Also, do we even have the money for it? I guess I’ll ask the council of dads to look at the vent pipe and maybe if there is anything we can see from the basement. I’m just scared to see what the full extent is. Plus we have really weird walls that for some reason have full wood boards behind the drywall. Fixing that wall and flooring has been something I’ve been dreading but now know there is an active water leak makes it a higher priority.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ball Tazeman posted:

Plus we have really weird walls that for some reason have full wood boards behind the drywall.
Like, lath?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ball Tazeman posted:

I’m honestly feeling overwhelmed and way in over my head with the water damage. I really just don’t know where to start or what to do, or if we hire somebody, what kind of contractor would we hire? Also, do we even have the money for it? I guess I’ll ask the council of dads to look at the vent pipe and maybe if there is anything we can see from the basement. I’m just scared to see what the full extent is. Plus we have really weird walls that for some reason have full wood boards behind the drywall. Fixing that wall and flooring has been something I’ve been dreading but now know there is an active water leak makes it a higher priority.

Sadly if there's an active leak the damage will only spread and get worse. Best to see what can be done as early as possible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PageMaster posted:

The dryer is the only one I'd care about. I have a Brondell Swash with heated water/drying on my main toilet and unpowered, basic Brondell seats on my other ones. I still have to use some toilet paper with the basic seats just to dry off.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Yes that would be it

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Those are 3 features I never use on mine. I absolutely advocate for heated seat and heated water, and the massage setting or whatever it is. \

You don't need the dryer if you just do a wipe after, so unless you're really trying to minimize that it's not needed. Don't know what premist is honestly. Don't care for the deodorizer as this is in our master bath that only my wife and I are ever in.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The Dave posted:

Those are 3 features I never use on mine. I absolutely advocate for heated seat and heated water, and the massage setting or whatever it is. \

You don't need the dryer if you just do a wipe after, so unless you're really trying to minimize that it's not needed. Don't know what premist is honestly. Don't care for the deodorizer as this is in our master bath that only my wife and I are ever in.

Heated seat, dryer, heated water, massage are all must-haves imo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

Heated seat, dryer, heated water, massage are all must-haves imo.

We never use the dryer, but the other 3 are def must-haves.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yooper posted:

I had this, and it's an easy fix. My drywall damage was on the ceiling but looked almost the same. I picked up a Vent Pipe Rain Collar and just slid it over the existing boot. The part is like $5 at Menards.

I had a vent boot that was also leaking, lucky for me it was just falling down the vent into the basement "why do I have a puddle here in the middle of my basement floor?" Why doesn't anyone use metal collars anymore that last eleventy billion years?
I used one of these.. similar concept a bit more substance.. I also got some roofing cement in the calk gun tube and applied it liberally around it to prevent any water
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perma-Boot-Vent-Pipe-Repair-for-4-in-I-D-Vent-Pipe-in-Black-PBR-312-4BK/203302712

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Has a heated seat, but didn't say anything about heated water in the box. Does have a 'pulsating' button on the remote which I guess is massages, so key thing seems to be to make sure it heats water. Premist apparently mists the toilet bowl to keep stuff from sticking to it.

Edit: says warm water cleansing on the box so hopefully good

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TIL you can buy a toilet seat that will massage your butt.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my mil has a bidet with a...dryer? anyway i never use it because it just blows poo air all over and makes the bathroom stanky

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been getting a lot of bird strikes against the new windows; like, almost daily. At the suggestion of a friend, I put ultraviolet stickers on the windows, maybe a foot apart. I haven't had a single bird strike since.

My friend also suggested feathers tied together with twine, going down the center of the window. But the stickers are a lot less conspicuous.

It's really nice to be able to work the entire day without getting jolted out of my zone by another spotted towhee breaking its spine against the front windows.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

cruft posted:

TIL you can buy a toilet seat that will massage your butt.

technically it massages your b-hole

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Saucer Hovers posted:

my mil has a bidet with a...dryer? anyway i never use it because it just blows poo air all over and makes the bathroom stanky

I think you’re doing this wrong

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
“Hang on a sec, just using the bidet dryer to crust the poop onto my rear end. Whew, it sure stinks in here!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

look BUDDY