Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

idk if you guys are interested, and it has very little to do with anime, but we need more for our mafia game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975956

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Just found out today that, rather than being depressed at hitting people, the truck drivers are in on it:

Isekai Transporter

some of this is rather disturbing abotu the followup if the truck fucks up

gay for gacha posted:

idk if you guys are interested, and it has very little to do with anime, but we need more for our mafia game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975956

i broke my mafia habit long ago...

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Aurora posted:

some of this is rather disturbing abotu the followup if the truck fucks up

i broke my mafia habit long ago...

time to mend it?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wtf is mafia

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

verbal enema posted:

wtf is mafia

tabletop version of the game Town of Salem.

Among Us if it was turn-based instead of real time.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

verbal enema posted:

wtf is mafia

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743445
:angel: What the hell is Mafia? :angel:

If you are more visually inclined and still have Flash installed for some reason, this thingy may be for you! Otherwise read ahead!

Mafia was originally a party game, and is sometimes known as Werewolf, that has been adapted to a Play by Post system on the forums. In this game two factions battle each other to control the game. The Mafia (commonly called "scum" on SA) are an informed minority while the Town are the uninformed majority. Mafia players know the identities of each other and usually are able to communicate privately and secretly. Town players do not know who else is town and cannot communicate with anyone privately, but as a whole they outnumber the mafia players by roughly 3 to 1. The goal of the town is to eliminate all mafia, while the goal of the mafia players is reach parity with the number of town players. Both mafia and town often have special roles which will aide them in accomplishing their goals. There also may be players who are neither town nor mafia, called Third Party or 3P, who may have alternate win conditions such as surviving until the end of the game or being the only person left alive.

Mafia games have a moderator who is in charge of creating the game's story and roles. They will post in the discussion thread and the New Game Announcement thread that they have opened a game for a certain number of signups. After the amount of people they want sign up they will private message each player with a role. This role contains information about that person's alignment (mafia, town, or 3P), any extra powers they have, and often some sort of information about their character in the story.

Once the game begins it is divided into two phases: Day and Night.

During the day phase, all players discuss in the game thread who they believe is a member of the mafia, and then vote for that person. Our forums has a vote bot which tallies votes that are formatted ##vote Playername. Once one person has received a majority of the votes, that player is hanged and removed from the game. They can no longer participate in the thread or in any private communications they had access to while alive. The moderator will post that person's alignment and role in the thread and end the day phase.

Once in night phase, there is no voting, and conversation may or may not be prohibited depending on the moderator. During this phase, the mafia choose someone to kill. As well, any extra powers that a player may have can be used. There are many possible powers, and moderators often come up with new ones, but there are several common ones such as Cop, who can learn the alignment of one other player each night; Doctor, who can protect one player each night from being killed; or Tracker, who can track another player and learn about any targets they visit. Mafia may have powers such as roleblocker, who can prevent another player from using their special powers for a night. After all actions have been received by the moderator and processed, they will announce who has died during the night and begin the next day phase where the cycle begins again. This continues until one faction has reached their win condition and the game ends in victory for Town, mafia, and/or 3P.

While these are standard rules, there can be a lot of variation in setup. Almost all of these can and have been broken in one game or another.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

verbal enema posted:

wtf is mafia

https://twitter.com/nekomata/status/961055277217759234

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gay for gacha posted:

time to mend it?

gently caress no i'm not good at making big posts and i was always whitenoise at best and more interested in role mechanics

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

Actress Yuko Sanpei (Boruto, Taichi in the current Digimon series, Renton from Eureka 7, and Cure Dream from Yes Precure 5/GoGo among other roles) has been diagnosed with covid:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-18/boruto-eureka-7-voice-actress-yuko-sanpei-diagnosed-with-covid-19/.176392

As has Shinichiro Miki:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-18/voice-actor-shinichiro-miki-diagnosed-with-covid-19-but-has-no-symptoms-now/.176395

As much as it sucks they have it, at least their cases seem to be mild

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

wtf is mafia

not much whats mafia with you

Mister Facetious posted:

Just found out today that, rather than being depressed at hitting people, the truck drivers are in on it:

Isekai Transporter

I sorta remember that going from a comedy to a weird drama

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

verbal enema posted:

wtf is mafia

A mafia is a type of organized crime syndicate whose primary activities are protection racketeering, arbitrating disputes between criminals, and brokering and enforcing illegal agreements and transactions.[1] Mafias often engage in secondary activities such as gambling, loan sharking, drug-trafficking, prostitution, and fraud.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

welcome to the waifu mafia

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Precure mafia here to take care of any Glitter Force in the local area

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Had some fun with Mafia but it also proved to be something that just was not for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's how mafia works

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
favorite thing about l-gaim by far is how daba is simultaneously the Confident, Cool Guy hero but also constantly makes a fool of himself purely because of how cool he's trying to act so he trips on his own cape a lot and makes tons of incredibly stupid faces. show is like the polar opposite of dunbine where dunbine was incredibly serious and most of its humor came from how insane its own writing got, l-gaim is like 90% comedy

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's a very unique show just because the setting and storyline are very much your usual space opera, but the protagonists feel like they're out of something like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a lot of tomino's more recent stuff has a sort of similar sense of humor but l-gaim has way more of the weird character expression-based visual gags you'd find in stuff like zz gundam and xabungle, compared to everything turn-a onwards where you don't get quite as wild expressions but like, the general approach to character writing centers around putting downright ridiculous and wacky characters in extremely serious plots until you get wings of rean having a fairy girl who exists to pop up in the middle of a tense battle, hear a guy shout, mimic his shouting for no reason and then bonk her head on a railing really hard

i am curious to check out five star stories at some point but. it's really funny to me that l-gaim was what caused nagano to go off and make his grand space sci-fi epic that he takes so seriously he'll give the stink eye to anyone who even mixes up robot names from it, when the thing that makes l-gaim work is how endearingly stupid and adventure-driven its characters are

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 19, 2021

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
About to finish Bakarina's S1 and oh my god I hope the whole Sirius Dieke = Serious Dick thing was intentional, it's amazing

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

gay for gacha posted:

All rounder meguro is one of the more realistic manga, and has some sick fight scenes.

Wark Say posted:

In my arrogant-rear end opinion, you can't go wrong with the brutality in which Holyland does fights. Some of them might be simplistic, but the way the mangaka does fight scenes, it absolutely sells the heck out of them.

I looked these ones up and they were so good and perfect, and Mequro was exactly what I was looking for, and that Hunter x Hunter scene is so perfect as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boba Pearl posted:

I looked these ones up and they were so good and perfect, and Mequro was exactly what I was looking for, and that Hunter x Hunter scene is so perfect as well.
you absolutely also want to check out Teppu.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

marumaru posted:

k-on is one of those things that people really like and i legitimately can't even understand why they do
the art is nice i guess?

The Colonel posted:

anyway lucky star is still good

:hai:

:colbert: this is only one non-blond

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 19, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eva Blu-ray preorders are up at Gkids and the licensing to Fly Me To The Moon is keeping it from being included at the end.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
K-on is good if you want something chill to throw on and forget things

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
k-on dared to ask what would happen if you based a series around drinking tea and eating sweets and i applaud their courage

FilthyImp posted:

Eva Blu-ray preorders are up at Gkids and the licensing to Fly Me To The Moon is keeping it from being included at the end.

once again my irresponsible impulse purchase of the platinum dvd collection (over 15 years ago(!!!)) remains the wisest decision of my life

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

k-on dared to ask what would happen if you based a series around drinking tea and eating sweets and i applaud their courage

it's about a band of girls playing music, actually

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
have there been any cases similar to dragon maid where the dub changes the characters through changing their tone of voice or the dialogue itself

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

it's about a band of girls playing music, actually

the show will get around to that one day after it finishes the tea drinking and sweet eating

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Willo567 posted:

have there been any cases similar to dragon maid where the dub changes the characters through changing their tone of voice or the dialogue itself

Does the stuff with Kaworu in the Netflix nge dub count

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

yes, basically every dub ever made inherently does that. and even if you mean extremely explicit over the top changes its exceedingly common. the soul eater dub genders crona when the original dialogue didn't, with no implication of them having anything 'different' about them - a watcher of the soul eater dub would purely think crona was just a guy. this is also true of grell in black butler, though in the original grell was a trans woman so its even worse. the funi dub of dbz changed a lot of character personalities, and obviously pretty much every dub of dbz into any language changes the original intent by giving goku an adult male voice instead of the female voice he has in the original, and also tending to give gohan and goten different voice actors instead of sharing their va with him. (heck, a lot of dubs also give gohan different VAs at different points in his aging, which is also a very heavy change when he's voiced by the same person throughout all of the original jp audio).

and if you want an example the other way, a lot of western transformers media gets extremely extensive dub changes when dubbed into japanese, since the audience for transformers in the west is seen as late tweens to early teens, while the audience in japan is seen as six to eight year olds. the changes for beast wars and transformers animated, especially, are extremely heavy. as random examples, the entire beast wars cast all got vocal tics based on which animal they were, something that only a handful of characters had in the original english, and rattrap was given an entire running joke of breaking the 4th wall by smelling what the audience was having for dinner that evening ("Today, the yamadas are having... chicken!") which didn't even have a remote equivalent in the English. And in Transformers Animated's case, several character names were changed to line up better with the michael bay movies, and some character personalities were extensively retooled. For instance, Blitzwing had a German accent in the original English and was given an American one in the japanese dub, a reasonable change on its own (though a bit silly when his entire look is basically just robot colonel klink), but then they also gave him a lot of English dialogue, while the original very rarely spoke any actual german.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My favorite example of a Japanese dub change is how in English, the joke of Plankton in SpongeBob is how he's a little guy but he has a deep voice, but in the Japanese dub, he just has a little guy mascot voice.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the show will get around to that one day after it finishes the tea drinking and sweet eating

this is so clever and subversive, wow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I know at least two K-On songs so obviously at some point they do music.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I skipped the songs when I watched K-On!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that's almost as hosed as the people who admit to watching anime at 1.5x speed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

this is so clever and subversive, wow

what's subversive, the topic has an entire mini-arc with azu-nyan feeling angsty about it in the second season? were you really frustrated when they were eating snacks instead of practicing? i don't know if you entirely got the show, but that's ok

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what's subversive, the topic has an entire mini-arc with azu-nyan feeling angsty about it in the second season? were you really frustrated when they were eating snacks instead of practicing? i don't know if you entirely got the show, but that's ok

no describing a show like that is tedious to read constantly

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also that post is somehow even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best thing about the first Azurlane anime was the dub giving everyone accents, because that is something I am tremendously sad can't really be done in Japanese.