Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

When all here is done, or just said,
And we reflect on pushes we’ve led
It stands out to me
That, fortunately
Somber is scum who needs to be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Idle Amalgam posted:

It's almost like it's bullshit, huh?

maybe? probably? not exactly a lot of time to hash that out

being at MYLO does mean we can safely test hal's claim though: if it's bullshit we bag a scum, if it's legit then we verify it and go back to LYLO.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

the holy poopacy posted:

maybe? probably? not exactly a lot of time to hash that out

being at MYLO does mean we can safely test hal's claim though: if it's bullshit we bag a scum, if it's legit then we verify it and go back to LYLO.

That seems awfully risky

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

b-minus1 posted:

That seems awfully risky

the only risk i can perceive is that hal is town and made a fakeclaim just because he didn't want to get voted out, in which case seriously gently caress hal

i suppose there is a risk that it's a real claim but a scum role, in which case seriously gently caress STONE COLD 64

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

How are you saying that bus driver is not the ultimate scum role if you are basing peoples alignments in role claims?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

the only risk i can perceive is that hal is town and made a fakeclaim just because he didn't want to get voted out, in which case seriously gently caress hal

i suppose there is a risk that it's a real claim but a scum role, in which case seriously gently caress STONE COLD 64

I would never do that! Although it would be a good move I guess if I thought town was about to lose and that would save me

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

How are you saying that bus driver is not the ultimate scum role if you are basing peoples alignments in role claims?

we have the claimed doctor saying she protected the claimed bus driver on a night with no kill

scum had no way of knowing that maerlyn would target plastic, so they would have no incentive to withhold the kill unless to confirm a scum maerlyn fakeclaim

if maerlyn & plastic are both scum that puts the total town power pool at:

watcher
one-shot rolecop
one-shot execution immunity
two-shot individual mason recruiter

seems awfully scanty

seems like someone just really wants to find reasons to try to get rid of the claimed doctor

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Idle Amalgam posted:

No one feels somber, reach down into those inky wells you call hearts.

##vote hal

I'll eat a roasted marshmallow if that man isn't scum.

Good thing roasted marshmallows are delicious

Which is probably why you said this since you know I am town

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

b-minus1 posted:

Agreed. It makes no sense. I’m starting to think Maerlyn and plastic could be scum together. Either way, someone is lying about a claim

correction; two someones really want to find excuses to get rid of the claimed doctor

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

correction; two someones really want to find excuses to get rid of the claimed doctor

Claiming doctor doesn’t override everything else in the game geez

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

we have the claimed doctor saying she protected the claimed bus driver on a night with no kill

scum had no way of knowing that maerlyn would target plastic, so they would have no incentive to withhold the kill unless to confirm a scum maerlyn fakeclaim

watcher
one-shot rolecop

seems awfully scanty

seems like someone just really wants to find reasons to try to get rid of the claimed doctor

Or, you know, someone is lying

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

it was literally 5 minutes to deadline, plastic had a plausible claim, hal had a less plausible but dangerous claim

And this is what I was referring to. You think that bus driver is a plausible town claim so much that you all swung a vote from -1 on plastic in the last five minutes.

PA claimed long before that five minutes. It wasn’t a last minute claim. And it was a claim of bus driver.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
bus driver is a plausible town claim yes

not a great one, and if maerlyn was not backing up plastic today plastic would be a great place to look for a fakeclaim

however, on balance i believe that a 15 player game is probably going to have more town roles than watcher and one-shot rolecop (i am not counting hal or sandwolf's claims since they are largely useless to town, at best)

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Catching up, I'm going out of town today so mostly phone posting.

Somberbrero posted:

It's definitely Sandwolf.

Explain this further please?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

watcher
one-shot rolecop

seems awfully scanty

If we assume that scenario we would potentially have a watcher, and some form of killproof. That is more than enough to be balanced in most games. Plus sands role can confirm he didn’t do a kill that night. We also don’t know what Gacha could also have had. Hell watcher and tracker alone are usually strong enough that you need some scum power to balance against them.

It’s all besides the point though. We don’t know the setup so trying to say guess it is pointless. I’ve specifically made games where roles are meant to confuse alignment and I’m far from the only one. With Cenas modular component and not knowing how it will work out it’s even easier to make roles more alignment neutral.

This is all basically to say that no way do I think anyone is off the table because of a claimed role.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

bus driver is a plausible town claim yes

not a great one, and if maerlyn was not backing up plastic today plastic would be a great place to look for a fakeclaim

however, on balance i believe that a 15 player game is probably going to have more town roles than watcher and one-shot rolecop (i am not counting hal or sandwolf's claims since they are largely useless to town, at best)

Why? Sands role can confirm an action. Hal can stop a kill or an execution (like a LYLO hammer which would be game over for scum if it was a surprise).

I’m not trying to be a jerk but how many games have you made where you are able to say that this game is under or overpowered based on one confirmed flip that we only know half of?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

Why? Sands role can confirm an action. Hal can stop a kill or an execution (like a LYLO hammer which would be game over for scum if it was a surprise).

I’m not trying to be a jerk but how many games have you made where you are able to say that this game is under or overpowered based on one confirmed flip that we only know half of?

LYLO hammer on hal is game over for town unless the doc (that you don't believe exists) blocks the nightkill.

being able to confirm that sandwolf specifically did not do the nightkill when there are likely 4 scum is not particularly valuable to town

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Continued failure
A lynch unresolved, for shame
Scum protect their own

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’d like to speak out and remind us
Time where we might dither’s behind us
Just look at the posts
And though not the most
I’m suspicious of that B minus

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

LYLO hammer on hal is game over for town unless the doc (that you don't believe exists) blocks the nightkill.

being able to confirm that sandwolf specifically did not do the nightkill when there are likely 4 scum is not particularly valuable to town

What are we arguing about? I’m saying that there is no way I think anyone can guess the setup right now based on a bunch of claims and half a flip. I’m also offering you my own thoughts on what I would say to anyone making a setup if they asked for a set of eyes based on your hypothetical.

Watcher and tracker. More than enough power, might need to help out scum. Anything on top of that is even more weight that way. It’s just an opposite view to you saying that the town is underpowered if we don’t accept all claims as gospel.

If you feel confident that you have it all figured out and know what needs to happen to balance it go for it. I just don’t agree with most of your posts about why we need to believe a claim or need to assume the town needs x or y.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

t a s t e posted:

I’d like to speak out and remind us
Time where we might dither’s behind us
Just look at the posts
And though not the most
I’m suspicious of that B minus

Where are you on PA?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

Where are you on PA?

Very strange logic
Does it make them scum? Perhaps
Still, I’d vote elsewhere

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I am way too tired to think right now, but Maerlyn, you mentioned late last day that you were onto Voodoo? We've got plenty of time now, so what's your case on him?

I'm at a 70/30 split on voodoo being scum, I'd feel more certain if I could figure out the connections involved but I'm still trying to work that out. I told myself during night phase I would spend time pulling together a case on voodoo but of course I played muck with friends online instead (just as frustrating/punishing).

It just feels like he's been pulling strings all over the place in this game, he led steaks lunch D1 over poop (which makes me waffle on poop being scum with him) and the somber/merk/Hal vote D2 needs to be looked into closer. Maybe if Hal is LP that's why he was encouraging merk to revisit him, knowing that vote would fail if true?

I'm willing to test Hal's claim today... If I had to vote voodoo out right this second I'm not confident enough right now but I do feel strongly that he's scum.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

b-minus1 posted:

I’m not convinced it’s plastic. Interesting how taste and voodoo vanished when it mattered and once again we have a last second pivot

Wait you think I was voting plastic then ran away on purpose as more votes piled on to plastic?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Another aspect about Hals claim, it fits as protection for scum if I had chosen the bodyguard role. Why would town need a BP role?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

Another aspect about Hals claim, it fits as protection for scum if I had chosen the bodyguard role. Why would town need a BP role?

To stop a night kill?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maerlyn posted:

Lol

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Hal Insandenza posted:

He said he tried the day before and forgot or Cena hosed up, and it was because I’m a cool pal to talk to

I would like some clarity on the voodoo thing because he’s definitely not in this masonry at least

Isn't part of mason recruitment that everyone is in the same channel/doc? That is interesting :thunk:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

Isn't part of mason recruitment that everyone is in the same channel/doc? That is interesting :thunk:

It’s almost like this game has unique setup elements that may work differently than what most people consider to be standard

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Voodoofly posted:

To stop a night kill?

Lol yeah I'm a moron. I was thinking in terms of stopping the bodyguard role :doh:

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

t a s t e posted:

When all here is done, or just said,
And we reflect on pushes we’ve led
It stands out to me
That, fortunately
Somber is scum who needs to be dead.

So when push came to shove after you had made Ref your #2 pick for scum after somber, why backpedal if somber was off the table?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Taste still enforcing a PR and only pushing Somber still is very bad.

Maerlyn, poop, and PA voting in a block is so bad. Poop and Maer tryna somehow turn mason recruiter into a scum role unnerves me. Mason recruiter is an alignment neutral role, but the fact that they are tryin to make my role scummy rather than my play is pinging me hard.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

What are we arguing about? I’m saying that there is no way I think anyone can guess the setup right now based on a bunch of claims and half a flip. I’m also offering you my own thoughts on what I would say to anyone making a setup if they asked for a set of eyes based on your hypothetical.

Watcher and tracker. More than enough power, might need to help out scum. Anything on top of that is even more weight that way. It’s just an opposite view to you saying that the town is underpowered if we don’t accept all claims as gospel.

If you feel confident that you have it all figured out and know what needs to happen to balance it go for it. I just don’t agree with most of your posts about why we need to believe a claim or need to assume the town needs x or y.

finite tracker, and I'm not sure somber would have picked a one-shot rolecop over two-shot tracker so this very well could have been watcher + a 1-shot.

it's true that I can't rule out that it's just a setup with very few real power roles and both sides have mostly one-shots of marginal utility with a high proportion of vanillas. but people generally like power roles and it seems like a waste of an interesting setup to feature a power-light town vs power-light scum. looking at votefinder the previous modular mafia was a 13 player game with perma doc + cop + watcher stacked against 1-shot jugg + 2-shot redirector + godfather/2-shot jailer (idk which one was picked)

so already based on the claims we're looking at a larger town with a greatly watered down pool of powers compared to that game (which was a scum victory that both sides seemed to enjoy). many of the claims are claims that would be much more powerful in the hands of scum than in the hands of town, so if scum have poo poo like busdriver and town has watcher + a 1-shot then it's a substantially less favorable setup than town than dinosaurs modular was, and we don't even know what powers scum might have that aren't claimed (no one's going to claim town jugg/ninja.)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

the holy poopacy posted:

so already based on the claims we're looking at a larger town with a greatly watered down pool of powers compared to that game

...how do you know?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay Taste, this is the best posting gimmick you've ever had. :allears:

Anyways, Voodoo's driving me crazy here. His logic on Hal's lunchproof claim being protection for a LYLO hammer makes no loving sense. The fact is that there was no kill and Maerlyn's the only one that has claimed a protective role or bulletproof should hard clear her, and the repeated "but what if scum gave up putting town into LYLO" feels like an insane stretch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
also, fine. let's shelve setup spec. you really think it's more likely that scum fakeclaimed a doc and then deliberately withheld the kill than that maerlyn is a doc? especially since maerlyn had been soft claiming for a while before she made her claim.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

...how do you know?

I know it's a larger town because if it wasn't, we'd be endgamed right now

I know it's a diluted power pool because I can read the flips from that game and compare them to the claims this game. I suppose it's possible that bminus or taste is sitting on a doozy of a claim but man it's LYLO

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Maerlyn posted:

So when push came to shove after you had made Ref your #2 pick for scum after somber, why backpedal if somber was off the table?

Being of a sound
Mind
I
Never would vote against a scummier choice
Unless, I
Suppose, I wanted to lose

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay Taste, this is the best posting gimmick you've ever had. :allears:

Anyways, Voodoo's driving me crazy here. His logic on Hal's lunchproof claim being protection for a LYLO hammer makes no loving sense. The fact is that there was no kill and Maerlyn's the only one that has claimed a protective role or bulletproof should hard clear her, and the repeated "but what if scum gave up putting town into LYLO" feels like an insane stretch.

in his defense it's not quite that much of a stretch, it's still MYLO.

i think the timing around maerlyn's claim and her general play up until then makes it more of a stretch. maerlyn seemed to waver and hesitate a lot D1 & D2 and that tracks with the way a lot of players would play doc, and she started softclaiming well before making the claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

also, fine. let's shelve setup spec. you really think it's more likely that scum fakeclaimed a doc and then deliberately withheld the kill than that maerlyn is a doc? especially since maerlyn had been soft claiming for a while before she made her claim.

I sincerely doubt I want to vote maer today. But that has way more to do with posts than anything else.