Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Roth posted:

Sounds like she owned

I second the motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Seems weird to write off all children’s media ever when you want to be an animation professional and/or care about animation at all

Actually thinking back to the general level of enthusiasm she had in her classes she probably didn’t give a poo poo whatsoever, rip, oh well I got a science degree instead

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just imagining an animation teacher who has never seen a Disney movie in their life but happily recommends to Son of the White Mare to anyone who asks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, we have our first trailer for the He-Man reboot (which drops September 16):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXApnj-ztIE

According to someone on He-Man.org it appears the armored girl is a gender flipped Ram Man.

It also seems like they might just be merging Teela and the Sorceress into one character and that’s who the yellow eyed girl is (alternatively, they’re leaning hard into the fact that the Sorceress is Teela’s mom and just making her a magic user in this series as well).

Also do we have a cast list for this yet? Some of the voices sound kind of familiar to me (I wanna say that’s Antony Del Rio as Man-At-Arms but I’m not sure).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 19, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I quite like the visuals in that. I also really liked the hand drawn special effects whenever attacks or magic or whatever was happening.

But also, the way the art style is, it made me want to play the video game version of that more than watch the show :v: All of the weapons look like they'd be fun to use.

So what's the deal with this and the other he-man. Are there two totally different studios that made two totally different He-Mans at the same time by coincidence, or is there some given reason why they did two versions of He-Man? I'm curious how this happened.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I quite like the visuals in that. I also really liked the hand drawn special effects whenever attacks or magic or whatever was happening.

But also, the way the art style is, it made me want to play the video game version of that more than watch the show :v: All of the weapons look like they'd be fun to use.

So what's the deal with this and the other he-man. Are there two totally different studios that made two totally different He-Mans at the same time by coincidence, or is there some given reason why they did two versions of He-Man? I'm curious how this happened.

No idea why they decided to do two shows but they’re made by completely different studios and have nothing to do with one another.

Revelation is a pseudo-sequel made by Kevin Smith that will continue next year while this is a full fledged reboot ala the Netflix She-Ra series handled by Mattel Television with a group called House of Cool doing the animation work (also the former is just a miniseries while this seems like it’ll be more of a full fledged multi-season show)

More info on the latter:

https://www.cbr.com/he-man-masters-of-the-universe-trailer

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 19, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

House of Cool is responsible for the pre-production and/or animation?

Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha

Good luck, is all I can say. The show looks good but the crew is probably having a real bad time.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ccs posted:

House of Cool is responsible for the pre-production and/or animation?

Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha

Good luck, is all I can say.

Not that familiar with this studio, what’s wrong with them?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Not that familiar with this studio, what’s wrong with them?

They're a bit notorious for grabbing the most talented people from Sheridan, working them like dogs for a few years before they have enough experience to go to one of the American studios, and then repeating the process.

They're a pre-production studio so the actual animation will be done elsewhere, probably Bardel or Mainframe in Vancouver, but HOC tends to obscure which studios they subcontract for the actual animation so they can take the credit themselves.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hedrigall posted:

Seems weird to write off all children’s media ever when you want to be an animation professional and/or care about animation at all

Actually thinking back to the general level of enthusiasm she had in her classes she probably didn’t give a poo poo whatsoever, rip, oh well I got a science degree instead

If I was an adult animator at the time The Lion King came out, I think I might just see it as a McDonald's Ad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, we have our first trailer for the He-Man reboot (which drops September 16):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXApnj-ztIE
This looks like a cutscene from a He-Man MOBA game

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Larryb posted:

No idea why they decided to do two shows but they’re made by completely different studios and have nothing to do with one another.

Revelation is a pseudo-sequel made by Kevin Smith that will continue next year while this is a full fledged reboot ala the Netflix She-Ra series handled by Mattel Television with a group called House of Cool doing the animation work (also the former is just a miniseries while this seems like it’ll be more of a full fledged multi-season show)

More info on the latter:

https://www.cbr.com/he-man-masters-of-the-universe-trailer

The character designs for the new CGI He-Man show look like they are for a MOBA.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that’s kind of my feeling as well. The visuals look more like cutscenes in a video game than they do an actual animated series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some more info straight from Mattel:

https://corporate.mattel.com/news/m...on-september-16

Edit: And a cast list:

https://www.animationmagazine.net/streaming/first-look-mattel-returns-to-eternia-with-he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-on-netflix/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 19, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The fact that it looks like a video game cinematic, which on average has a massively higher budget per minute than an animated series, is actually a really good sign. Like, if this was your average CG animated series you'd expect something like Slugterra level animation. Even that Dreamworks Tales of Arcadia series on Netflix doesn't move this well or have such nice lighting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, aside from some issues with the visual style I personally feel there’s enough interesting stuff here for me to at least give the show a fair shot (pretty solid voice cast it would seem as well)

Also Robo Orko is amazing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Would you believe the burping, singing gargoyles are actually in line with the animistic, living stone theme of the hunchback of notre dame. Frollo calls quasimodo stupid for having imaginary rock friends in front of a couple wide-eyed religious icon statues. Then the church kills him.

Whenever there is a statue or part of a building in that movie, it is alive!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

FunkyAl posted:

Would you believe the burping, singing gargoyles are actually in line with the animistic, living stone theme of the hunchback of notre dame. Frollo calls quasimodo stupid for having imaginary rock friends in front of a couple wide-eyed religious icon statues. Then the church kills him.

Whenever there is a statue or part of a building in that movie, it is alive!
i actually have not seen that movie

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

you should watch it dats a goo movie

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Did I miss the posting about Monsters at Work? We just finished the first episode and it seems pretty fun, if maybe a bit unambitious. The character designs are still great; Mindy Kaling's slightly-more-vertical version of Charlie Day's monster is a delight.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boxman posted:

Did I miss the posting about Monsters at Work? We just finished the first episode and it seems pretty fun, if maybe a bit unambitious. The character designs are still great; Mindy Kaling's slightly-more-vertical version of Charlie Day's monster is a delight.

Some people posted about it a few weeks ago when it started. I went through the existing episodes with my kids for the first time this week when everyone was sick. And again and again and again. It's pretty good, I like the various logical ways it picks up where the first movie left off. For some reason I feel like this week's episode was insufferable though. Just seemed overly noisy and pointless. Kids didn't seem to like it either.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

i actually have not seen that movie

It's not bad despite, possibly because of, the gonzo compromises of tone and content. There's a scene in the beginning that actually works really well because the first half is a looney tune that turns seriously about of the ugliness of people. I haven't read the book and I think once I do I will like the film less. But it appears at least to be "semiotically" engaged with the religious icons and art and so forth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

It's not bad despite, possibly because of, the gonzo compromises of tone and content. There's a scene in the beginning that actually works really well because the first half is a looney tune that turns seriously about of the ugliness of people. I haven't read the book and I think once I do I will like the film less. But it appears at least to be "semiotically" engaged with the religious icons and art and so forth

Some of the most fun and interesting movies are ones where the styles and tone are practically at war. Whether deliberate or not.

Also pretty lol that I'm fairly sure Gargoyles was originally pitched as a Hunchback spinoff, since making animated series spinoffs to their movies was The Style At The Time to Disney for quite a while.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also pretty lol that I'm fairly sure Gargoyles was originally pitched as a Hunchback spinoff, since making animated series spinoffs to their movies was The Style At The Time to Disney for quite a while.
The 1994 Cartoon series with a head writer who planned for 5 seasons + spinoffs and had nothing tying it to the property was pitched as a spinoff to the 1996 Film?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Boxman posted:

yeah I like the visuals but for me at least actually watching it is kind of a slog; it seems like really good 3-8 year old cartoon content though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just find it hard to believe that that stupid looking dipshit broke Sully's record in the simulation. Get out of here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The 1994 Cartoon series with a head writer who planned for 5 seasons + spinoffs and had nothing tying it to the property was pitched as a spinoff to the 1996 Film?

In that case I'm amazed that the Disney properties both involving talking gargoyles apparently had nothing to do with each other.

For context, I grew up greatly enjoying The Mighty Ducks animated series.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Monsters at work is ok at best, I honestly rather see Mike and Sully adjust to their new CEO jobs then the main characters we ended up with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For context, I grew up greatly enjoying The Mighty Ducks animated series.
You... you should look up the history of the franchise. :3:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b1BXOdlrbo

FilthyImp posted:

Turning Goofy into a single dad and his boy sitcom and Mighty Ducks into a space alien duck superhero franchise certainly were things Disney was doing at the time

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The United States posted:

Turning Goofy into a single dad and his boy sitcom and Mighty Ducks into a space alien duck superhero franchise certainly were things Disney was doing at the time

Don't forget sticking Jungle Book characters into a prediction of what Crimson Skies looked like

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some of the most fun and interesting movies are ones where the styles and tone are practically at war. Whether deliberate or not.

Gargoyles was Disney’s attempt at a more mature animated series to take on the wildly popular Batman The Animated Series.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Gargoyles was the Star Trek the next generation retirement home

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Watched the Loud House movie. I didn't hate it but most of my complaints with the show are still there. It's got a good visual aesthetic and some fun ideas but it's all wasted on aggressively mediocre writing that never really stops to think about anything it's doing too deeply. It's not offensively bad but drat do some of the decisions made baffle me. Like, why do the ancestors look exactly like the modern family? And for that matter why are they the exact same age they were when they left Scotland? Did they not live entire lives in the states after the flashback ended? Also was magic a thing in this show before? Why are we suddenly dealing with dragons and magic gems? There's *lots* of stuff like that which might bug you if you focus on it for too long. That said, If you can get past that kind of thing there's some nice moments in there as well so idk maybe you'll enjoy it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b1BXOdlrbo

Never gonna forget what it felt like in real time to see DuckTales emerge stumbling bodily out of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmVm2ljDuw

I was like "what is anything even"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I'm quite aware. Hence why I'm surprised that Gargoyles wasn't a spinoff concept turned bonkers somewhere down the line.

See also how 'Batman in high school' turned into Batman Beyond.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also something that's been central to Disney. Like if you go back to Snow White, you have these hyper-realistic human characters and the Dwarves themselves who are not that far removed from funny animal characters. Beauty and the Beast can simultaneously have Gaston sexually threaten Belle, act as the personification of toxic masculinity, and also hang out with his three foot tall silly sidekick who can do straight up Loony Tunes gags.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Boxman posted:

Don't forget sticking Jungle Book characters into a prediction of what Crimson Skies looked like

Someone at Disney went to a pitch meeting and said "What if Jungle Book but Casablanca?" And somehow got bags of money to make it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone at Disney went to a pitch meeting and said "What if Jungle Book but Casablanca?" And somehow got bags of money to make it.

“What if we remade Tales of the Gold Monkey but Jungle Book?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of Disney cartoon spinoff stuff in the 90s was fun like that, various takes on pulp adventure as well as clearly trying to compete with other shows. (see the above Gargoyles vs BTAS, and Mighty Ducks being a particularly ridiculous TMNT riff combined with a sports toon, As Was The Style At The Time)