Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CM PUNK
This poll is closed.
CM PUNK 47 25.68%
CM PUNK 41 22.40%
CM PUNK 71 38.80%
CM PUNK 24 13.11%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Envisioned posted:

Like 6 months ago I wouldn't have wanted Bray in aew, but they're just absolutely nailing everything right now so gently caress it why not. Genuinely curious what he comes up with in an environment with more creative freedom.

Yep

Even as a major Punk fan, pre-last night I was of the belief not only did the company not need him, but wrestling was kinda (at least pre-COVID) doing fine without him

After that pop and promo? Nah. Let whoever wants to come and actually try something do it. We need more moments that are like that; I don't think it'll be topped, but drat do I feel confident the building will shake when Bryan first comes out, if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Husky Harris is All Elite.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

AEW has really established a great template for guys past their prime to end their career’s on their terms, which I think makes them a great sell for those established names now, Jericho is the only one I feel like they’ve over indulged, and they really didn’t have a choice since he was the first one in the door.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

My mindset has definitely shifted from "there's SO MANY OTHER GOOD PEOPLE on the roster, stop taking time from them!" to "everyone on the whole is so drat young, if you delay a bigger spotlight for them for a year while simultaneously getting 10x the eyes on the product that would have seen them otherwise hell yeah go for it".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

If Bray can come up with something calibrated to the supernatural level Malakai Black is working with, he’ll be fine. Give him Bear Country and they can be mountain cultists instead of swamp cultists.

Ok, I want this

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Davros1 posted:

Why do you hate Serpentico?

He knows what he did.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Renaissance Spam posted:

He knows what he did.

Jon Cruz account spotted

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really want to see something completely different from Bray Wyatt and THE FIEND. I hope Rotunda, whatever he goes by, just completely reboots himself.

He's a smart guy who can connect with a crowd. The work is a question mark but for someone like him is less important anyway.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MJeff posted:

I really want to see something completely different from Bray Wyatt and THE FIEND. I hope Rotunda, whatever he goes by, just completely reboots himself.

He's a smart guy who can connect with a crowd. The work is a question mark but for someone like him is less important anyway.

He is going to be Braydon Cutler and he is going to be Brandon's older brother

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Black/Bray/Butcher/Blade/Bunny would make a pretty kickass stable. They wouldn't need to be supernatural at all, just spooky and mysterious.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
He is the Butcher and the Blades best customer. He buys big piles of meat like Jake from State Farm

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Envisioned posted:

Like 6 months ago I wouldn't have wanted Bray in aew, but they're just absolutely nailing everything right now so gently caress it why not. Genuinely curious what he comes up with in an environment with more creative freedom.

I want to see how bad a guy has to be for AEW not to be able to do something interesting with him. Like the apocryphal story that Vince signed Bastion Booger because he wanted to prove he could make #500 on the PWI 500 a star. Windham Rotunda has the ability to do interesting things too, he's just been doing very bad things for a few years.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 21, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRafTer posted:

I want to see how bad a guy has to be for AEW not to be able to do something interesting with him. Like the apocryphal story that Vince signed Bastion Booger because he wanted to prove he could make #500 on the PWI 500 a star. Windham Rotunda has the ability to do interesting things too, he's just been doing very bad things for a few years.

Duke "The Dumpster" Droese, not Bastion Booger.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Lamuella posted:

I firmly believe that there are some die-hard WWE fans who AEW will never win over, and some lapsed fans who will never come back.

I also firmly believe that AEW doesn't actually need to win those two groups over. There's a much broader group of people who are either old wrestling fans open to something new, or people who haven't been wrestling fans until now who can be won over by cool stuff and a good product.

And let's not undersell the potential to make fans of kids. Anecdotally, my six-year-old son has never been into WWE, but he is in love with Orange Cassidy and asks every AEW show if the Best Friends are wrestling. I think AEW being willing to embrace colorful and goofy gimmicks without making GBS threads on them is appealing to kids and acts as an on-ramp for the youth to get into more serious storylines or "legitimate" characters.

I leave it to you to compare and contrast with Nikki A.S.H.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

AEW has really established a great template for guys past their prime to end their career’s on their terms, which I think makes them a great sell for those established names now, Jericho is the only one I feel like they’ve over indulged, and they really didn’t have a choice since he was the first one in the door.

Bringing in legends and pairing them off with the younger talent that's most like their style/persona is brilliant, I love Sting w/Darby, Jericho putting over MJF, and boosting Sammy as well, and Christian w/ Jurassic Express is super fun. it's not just "we're bringing in a legend to beat all our top guys and win the belt to squeeze some more juice from the fruit", there's way more emphasis on cultivation and collaboration, so the next few years are going to be awesome as poo poo, and then after that? even better. there'll be long term story telling hooks all over the place, it's a really healthy environment for creativity

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Black/Bray/Butcher/Blade/Bunny would make a pretty kickass stable. They wouldn't need to be supernatural at all, just spooky and mysterious.

Would they be alltogether ooky?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Q7kid posted:

And let's not undersell the potential to make fans of kids. Anecdotally, my six-year-old son has never been into WWE, but he is in love with Orange Cassidy and asks every AEW show if the Best Friends are wrestling. I think AEW being willing to embrace colorful and goofy gimmicks without making GBS threads on them is appealing to kids and acts as an on-ramp for the youth to get into more serious storylines or "legitimate" characters.

I leave it to you to compare and contrast with Nikki A.S.H.

I've got a bunch of friends who are brand new to wrestling and Cassidy is their biggest draw.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

windham rotunda will join cody's stable of wrestle sons as a white meat southern babyface and never do anything spooky

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

MassRafTer posted:

It's guaranteed to be entertaining one way or the other. Either he comes up with something novel and cool, or he goes Turbo Fiend and we get a month or so of hilarious awfulness before they try and course-correct.

Elranthan
Jul 10, 2005

Wut?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

HELLO EVERYONE, WE HAVE A SPECIAL CM PUNK THEMED PROP BET! This one is not only for a CM Punk themed 24 hour probation for the losers, but a special edition FREE avatar for the winners! To make the wager, quote this post.

Does AEW Rampage beat AEW Dynamite in the rating? We will be using the Monday figure to score this.

Yes/No answers only. If it does exactly identical, then everyone who bet gets the free avatar. Both the avatar and the probation are CM Punk themed.

hell yes!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

smarxist posted:

Bringing in legends and pairing them off with the younger talent that's most like their style/persona is brilliant, I love Sting w/Darby, Jericho putting over MJF, and boosting Sammy as well, and Christian w/ Jurassic Express is super fun. it's not just "we're bringing in a legend to beat all our top guys and win the belt to squeeze some more juice from the fruit", there's way more emphasis on cultivation and collaboration, so the next few years are going to be awesome as poo poo, and then after that? even better. there'll be long term story telling hooks all over the place, it's a really healthy environment for creativity

Really good point. I wasn't on board with Christian/JE at first but in just a couple segments I love the dynamic of the Purest Boys being mentored by Mr. Bet on Yourself.

And Christian being a Toronto boy it has a bit of that 2019 Raptors run.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Renaissance Spam posted:

I've got a bunch of friends who are brand new to wrestling and Cassidy is their biggest draw.

Even including Punk I think OC is their biggest draw. AEW knows exactly what they have in him.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

I still can't get over that he was Fire Ant.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

holy poo poo i just realized i get to see punk live when they come back to boston

havent seen him since he was doing wwecw house shows

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bray can basically be the rich man’s version of what Matt Hardy is doing now. Let him lean heavy on character work, give him a squad of goons, only have him wrestle periodically in multiman matches or as the final boss of his stable

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

big money matt IS the rich man

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave on Observer Radio says Bray's most likely coming too

No thanks, I'm good.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

vk wallstreet jr is all elite

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

No thanks, I'm good.

good at what

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Bray was fine in the ring, even good!, as Bray. When he was the Fiend he was fiendishly dreadful

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Couple of neat bits of info from the AEW panel at Comicon:

1. Before Punk went out on Friday, Thunder Rosa told him "welcome back!" and he was like "don't say that" because he was already on the verge of tears.

2. The DMD thing partially came about because audiences didn't like constantly being reminded she was a dentist when she was a face, so when she turned heel she just leaned into it. (Also "Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D." is redundant, both titles say the same thing, that's a nice heel touch.)

3. Leva is super nice and a huge geek.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

My favorite guys are big fat agile guys like Kevin Owens so bray being all elite is cool with me. He’s also super creative so it will be funny to see him wash off the wwe stench while Alexa transfers the fiend or whatever to Eva Marie and Seth Rollins gets another Hershey syrup bath that only the 35+ crowd understands.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aew signing windham rotunda would be worth it just for the reactions on The Net

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
just buy him a lantern from Dick's and thats all the work you need to do

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
You know who I'd to see do pro wrestling vignettes? Kris Straub of Local 58 and other creepy things.

He'd be perfect for Bray.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Bray I think would need a little work to get up to the standard of most of the roster, but he's not the absolute shits so I think he could get better. And WWE booking every one of his matches around some kind of supernatural craziness happening probably hasn't helped him.

Like it's sort of a crap shoot with some of these folks since the WWE House Style is so restrictive you don't really know what they can do. One of the graces of AEW is that they really do let people work different styles a lot more distinctly.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Send Bray on excursion to Impact first

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Bray finally has a chance to resurrect the greatest character of his career: Husky Harris is All Elite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

What it looks like to realize how much you missed something