Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

alexandriao posted:

what are good hobbies to pick up. I wanna do more than just browsing the internet but every time I open up emacs my brain fries itself in it's own juices

edit: Preferably something that doesn't need me to go outside because I live on a really fuckin steep hill and it is constantly raining. fuk that

https://twitter.com/destroytoday/status/1385019337220759555?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

alexandriao posted:

what are good hobbies to pick up. I wanna do more than just browsing the internet but every time I open up emacs my brain fries itself in it's own juices

edit: Preferably something that doesn't need me to go outside because I live on a really fuckin steep hill and it is constantly raining. fuk that

ride bike

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Turn things into booze

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

make a delicious sandwich

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

And woodworking is cool too, ja.

Gonna make a little floating shelf today

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

woodworking is very cool

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Woodworking is cool but my association with it is my dad just kinda making trinkets that accumulate. So it's a great skill that is best used if you have something to actually build and/or sell.

I prefer cooking as a hobby for this reason. It's The Hobby You Can Eat!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that it's good to have a hobby that gets you out of the house at least occasionally, especially in These Challenging Times.

I suggest getting a pilot's license or buying a motorcycle.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

id say find a hobby where you know theres a local community of people into that hobby so you meet people and socialize more

but as a list

get a bike or a skateboard or rollerblades

cooking, photography, learning a musical instrument, painting, acting, exercise/weightlifting, baking, making beer/wine/alcohol

volunteering at a food bank or shelter, helping neighbors in need, learning to fix/make things (woodworking, electronics etc), any casual sport even goofy adulting ones like frolf or kickball

all great hobbies try one see if you like it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like going on long walks and exploring the city

woodworking and such, i do those things some, but more finishing work as i know a bunch of carpenters. mostly that's just if i need a specific piece of furniture or whatever. i'll do that then and get back to other things

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

i like going on long walks and exploring the city

hello every person on bumble. do you also enjoy laughing with friends and eating yummy food

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

hello every person on bumble. do you also enjoy laughing with friends and eating yummy food

yes indeed, i suppose that does sound basic. i like adventures too :p in my particular case though, i moved here shortly before covid, and there's a bunch to explore, and my schedule is mostly free at the moment. so i've recently been exploring my surroundings considerably more than i had since i've been here

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I like getting high on drugs, that’s a hobby imho

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

alexandriao posted:

make art. try wood cut printing, its nice and not on the computer. and it doesn't take up that much space, i keep all the poo poo for it in a plastic toolbox.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

says the person so out of touch they're recommending flying planes and buying motorcycles

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also books. books are a nice pasttime, although that could be considered work too, and pretty traditional. like climb a nice local hill or whatever and read a good book with the breeze blowing by

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

lord, this feels like an attack on latvian tinder (deservedly so). majority of ladies in my age bracket have bios like “i enjoy spending time with my friends, going outside in nice weather, trying tasty food, and seeing new places”. that somehow provides even fewer conversation starters than local college girl bios that usually contain just the beer emoji.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

also books. books are a nice pasttime, although that could be considered work too, and pretty traditional. like climb a nice local hill or whatever and read a good book with the breeze blowing by

maybe try racing sports cars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

says the person so out of touch they're recommending flying planes and buying motorcycles

"want to go flying?" is a fantastic second date, incidentally

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lord, this feels like an attack on latvian tinder (deservedly so). majority of ladies in my age bracket have bios like “i enjoy spending time with my friends, going outside in nice weather, trying tasty food, and seeing new places”. that somehow provides even fewer conversation starters than local college girl bios that usually contain just the beer emoji.

this is like 90% of people on all dating sites it seems. my three favorite things in the world are (three things that every human on earth does regularly and enjoys)

i haven't seen the women-facing side so i wonder what Basic Men post on their profiles? i know a picture holding a fish is one

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 22, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

maybe try racing sports cars

i have one of those too but i'm kinda bored w/ driving idk. i've been enjoying flight sims though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

"want to go flying?" is a fantastic second date, incidentally

being stuck in a tiny box with your smug rear end and no escape sounds awful

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dont do dates outside of civilization lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
robert hansen liked to take people on plane rides too

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

SmokaDustbowl posted:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Walking in your local area and/or finding a nearby park with hiking trails are also good hobbies. Good for your body and mind.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

dioxazine posted:

i guess we could have more jonnys, why not!

we already have nearly three hundred of the drat things! :mad:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

I think that it's good to have a hobby that gets you out of the house at least occasionally, especially in These Challenging Times.

I suggest getting a pilot's license or buying a motorcycle.

a guy on my team at work is a motorcyclist, and he just broke the hell out of his leg a while ago

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1429257036420861958

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they deleted that tweet

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
gently caress they deleted it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"i havent paid attention to rap since the clinton administration", basically, lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haha rip to them I guess

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Down in the wood shop, got some nice espresso in my favorite enamel camping mug, prepping some stock, little swinging window open to the rain outside, Mariners game on the crackly AM radio

Life is good

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"i havent paid attention to rap since the clinton administration", basically, lol

Tbf Native Tongues are still some of the best rappers I've heard. BDP was right about gangster rap

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

make music op

This is a good idea but one of two things happen when i sit down in front of a vst:
- it's too complex and overwhelming so i fiddle about a bit before closing it
- I have a tune in my head but by the time i figure out the baseline, it's degraded and i can't remember it

I don't really know how to break into it because you need to know the tools to gently caress about properly, and the "knowing the tools" part seems to be 45° incline : ohdear:

honestly that seems cool as poo poo, how do you get into it, i thought you needed a license to use an sdr?

prefect posted:

tai chi seems like a cool hobby

i learned it a long time ago but i dont remember any of the forms so I end up doing this really weird version of it lol. i should get a good book or an app or something probably

PokeJoe posted:

make art. try wood cut printing, its nice and not on the computer. and it doesn't take up that much space, i keep all the poo poo for it in a plastic toolbox.

:eyepop:

Those are cool as hell and I already have ideas of things to do. Plus my dad has this small shed packed with lutherie equipment so the tools are already a short walk away

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alexandriao posted:

honestly that seems cool as poo poo, how do you get into it, i thought you needed a license to use an sdr?

you don't need a license to receive, only to transmit.

except in the UK where you need a license to own a receiver capable of listening to police or aviation bands even though they're transmitted in the clear. lmao what a dumb rear end country

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Share Bear posted:

id say find a hobby where you know theres a local community of people into that hobby so you meet people and socialize more

but as a list

get a bike or a skateboard or rollerblades

can confirm this. you start off falling on your rear end while literal children stare at you, you end up with a group of 50+ other people blasting through central London with a sound system strapped to your back and a beer in your hand

then you fall on your rear end

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

alexandriao posted:

This is a good idea but one of two things happen when i sit down in front of a vst:
- it's too complex and overwhelming so i fiddle about a bit before closing it
- I have a tune in my head but by the time i figure out the baseline, it's degraded and i can't remember it

1) VSTs and big software instruments can be overwhelming. if you have the means, try something physical and relatively simple like a volca.
2) have the recorder going all the time. keep noodling. go back and listen to it and play along and see what comes out.

making 50 meh things is 100% more productive than 0 perfect things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
c tv s: holy poo poo, dave foley was young at the start of newsradio

i love jimmy james so much :swoon: