Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Americans, so disgusting and obsessed with sugar and fat" I say, as I eat my crepe filled with boba tea pearls, bannanas, skittles, M&Ms, Nutella, and Jellybeans. "They're just SO gross"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0p3aFQk1kY

Yes it is technically off-topic but I am very confused and have nowhere else to turn for answers

"just jam a few blood sausages and chicken spleens in there and you're good to go" - Brazil

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Big Beef City posted:

"Americans, so disgusting and obsessed with sugar and fat" I say, as I eat my crepe filled with boba tea pearls, bannanas, skittles, M&Ms, Nutella, and Jellybeans. "They're just SO gross"

Plot twist - they make this for American tourists

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

"just jam a few blood sausages and chicken spleens in there and you're good to go" - Brazil

Not enough catupiry and mayo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

sorry no, what you see is fish eggs, sliced banana slugs, and licorice candies

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Plot twist - they make this for American tourists

Ah yes, the massive American to Brazil tourist market that surely exists. I'd forgotten how many of my friends and family clamor and scramble to get to...Brazil. Yes.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Big Beef City posted:

Ah yes, the massive American to Brazil tourist market that surely exists. I'd forgotten how many of my friends and family clamor and scramble to get to...Brazil. Yes.

If you're into poverty and big butts* you can just visit the midwest.

*quality of big butts not stipulated

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

i want to go to brazil. i want to eat a corn-riddled 4 course meal burger out of a plastic bag. i want to squeeze a bag of catupiry right in to my mouth

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Big Beef City posted:

I want to go to Brazil and eat those fritters fried in dende oil and then suffer from horrible poops in the hotel since my body won't be used to that particular oil.

It's a foodie thing

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Is that merengue?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't get the appeal of gigantically tall burgers. How do you even eat that? You can smash some down a bit but some of them are just completely unwieldy. I know it's a gimmick but drat. I'm not going to disassemble my burger in order to eat it. And as I get older I don't like these gigantic portion sizes but a lot of new hipster places in the last 10 years give somewhat more reasonable portion sizes, but I guess the prices haven't changed much. So less food but higher quality.

I don't mind taking home leftovers but it's just ridiculous.

Yeah, I shouldn’t be expected to unhinge my jaw like a python to take a bite of the burg.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
guys, that lovely crepe video I posted was from Thailand, not Brazil

@Brazil if you think you can make a nastier crepe than that I would love to see it no cheating

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

Where’s the loose corn?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I want to eat a rainforest

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Big Beef City posted:

The very heart of Brazil: Bangkok

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Devils Affricate posted:

guys, that lovely crepe video I posted was from Thailand, not Brazil

@Brazil if you think you can make a nastier crepe than that I would love to see it no cheating

I feel Brazil is ready to stand up to the challenge - apparently they love "tapioca crepes", which look real bad:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
those are weird af but could be delicious. tapioca pudding is good.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The texture of those crepes makes me think of the kinetic foam/sand stuff I played with as a kid.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Big Beef City posted:

well now that Cuba is letting American tourists in, I guess I can start to go there.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Hungry Computer posted:

The texture of those crepes makes me think of the kinetic foam/sand stuff I played with as a kid.

What's hosed up is this is why I want to eat those crepes. I need to know what floam tastes like without the bitterant and styrofoam.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I feel Brazil is ready to stand up to the challenge - apparently they love "tapioca crepes", which look real bad:

Yeah tapioca is one of our national dishes, but I'm not a fan. Dry as a desert, unless they're drenched in coconut milk.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Where’s the loose corn?

they scooped it out of the loose stool they smeared on that vinyl before topping it with various candies. they save it so they can put it on the burgers.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I want to chop this thing up SO BAD

It would be so satisfying

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

big dyke energy posted:

I want to chop this thing up SO BAD

It would be so satisfying

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Hungry Computer posted:

Interesting to note that even the folks at playdough HQ know that the lettuce and tomato goes on TOP of the meat and cheese- unlike some of the cooks we’ve seen.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

why does it look like these belong in a petri dish?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

why does it look like these belong in a petri dish?

They look pretty 'cultured' to me! :dadjoke:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

They look pretty 'cultured' to me! :dadjoke:

lol

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Devils Affricate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0p3aFQk1kY

Yes it is technically off-topic but I am very confused and have nowhere else to turn for answers
Why is Korean food with very few exceptions just complete loving poo poo? It's always either too greasy, too spicy, too sweet or just too plain weird or all of the aforementioned. What went wrong with Korean food culture? It always just seems like they decide to just throw all kinds of garbage together which ends up looking barely edible. I mean I suppose you can eat it if you choose to , it's probably going to hit one or several of your taste buds in a way that will make it feel acceptable..., but almost all korean food just looks really bad and/or unhealthy.
I'm not a food snob by any stretch of the imagination, and I try a lot of things and I like to cook for other people and I try experimenting with all kinds of cuisine and ingredients - but Korean just seems like it's either really unhealthy or just terrible in every other way?
Why?
Every Korean recipe looks like they are putting up a show - look what we have sitting around and can throw into this mess! The street food videos are especially bad, but look at all the other regular recipes you'll find online or on youtube or whatever. It's all terrible!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Lollerich posted:

Why is Korean food with very few exceptions just complete loving poo poo? It's always either too greasy, too spicy, too sweet or just too plain weird or all of the aforementioned. What went wrong with Korean food culture? It always just seems like they decide to just throw all kinds of garbage together which ends up looking barely edible. I mean I suppose you can eat it if you choose to , it's probably going to hit one or several of your taste buds in a way that will make it feel acceptable..., but almost all korean food just looks really bad and/or unhealthy.
I'm not a food snob by any stretch of the imagination, and I try a lot of things and I like to cook for other people and I try experimenting with all kinds of cuisine and ingredients - but Korean just seems like it's either really unhealthy or just terrible in every other way?
Why?
Every Korean recipe looks like they are putting up a show - look what we have sitting around and can throw into this mess! The street food videos are especially bad, but look at all the other regular recipes you'll find online or on youtube or whatever. It's all terrible!

Thailand is not part of Korea....

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Lollerich posted:

Why is American food with very few exceptions just complete loving poo poo? It's always either too greasy, too spicy, too sweet or just too plain weird or all of the aforementioned. What went wrong with American food culture? It always just seems like they decide to just throw all kinds of garbage together which ends up looking barely edible. I mean I suppose you can eat it if you choose to , it's probably going to hit one or several of your taste buds in a way that will make it feel acceptable..., but almost all American food just looks really bad and/or unhealthy.
I'm not a food snob by any stretch of the imagination, and I try a lot of things and I like to cook for other people and I try experimenting with all kinds of cuisine and ingredients - but American just seems like it's either really unhealthy or just terrible in every other way?
Why?
Every American recipe looks like they are putting up a show - look what we have sitting around and can throw into this mess! The street food videos are especially bad, but look at all the other regular recipes you'll find online or on youtube or whatever. It's all terrible!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Lollerich posted:

Why?

My dude have you ever had military stew

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lollerich posted:

Why?

what food do you think is good?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Lollerich posted:

Why?

Bibimbap is great, Korean fried chicken is amazing, kimchi is great, all of those little side dishes (banchan) are pretty good, bulgogi and Korean bbq is great. Western style food adapted for the Korean palate is...not great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Devils Affricate posted:

My dude have you ever had military stew

Is this some sort of group sex maneuver that happens in the barracks after midnight?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Korean food is good but all the names are weird. "Do you want some bulgogi?" No, frankly it doesn't sound tasty at all!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm not Korean or at all personally connected to it, but I have had a lot of conversations with Korean transplants. The #1 thing I have heard is that somehow sugar came to dominate modern cooking over there, in a land that traditionally had a varied and often delicious local cuisine. Traditional Korean dishes like kimchi and bulgogi remain mostly untouched, but are overwhelmed by western sugary elements that have taken over in commonly available foods outside the most traditional stuff.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I will loving die for the deep-fried mozzarella filled hashbrown Korean "corndogs". I will go too far too, dunk them in that coconut sugar and smother them in cheese mustard and ketchup, gently caress yeah. Zero regrets. Absolutely worth it. Greatest cheese pull of my life.

Edit: the ones I had didn't have any hot dog in them, just fried cheese and potato. So good. Worth dying a decade early for, 100%.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 26, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My wife used to work for a Korean fella and one morning he brought this box of these fluffy textured, meat(?) filled, round pastries from the Korean Bakery and I have no idea what the gently caress they were but it was the best breakfast food I have ever had.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was summoned to effortpost. Korean food is good but also extremely hosed. It is a land of contrasts.

Factors:

A) Some of the really weird poo poo like budae jjigae is the result of the Korean War and its immediate aftermath. During and after the war South Korea was hugely dependent on US food aid, and that wasn't fresh food since it had to be shipped over and all. So Koreans were introduced to things like Spam (which is still a hot ticket item) and canned baked beans and stuff. You couldn't be picky about food, so dump all that poo poo into a pot and eat it.

B) It's easy to forget nowadays, but Korea was an incredibly poor country for decades after the war. The economy didn't start to pick up until the 70s and it was still pretty poor and backwards until like the late 90s. The last famine was in the 80s. A lot of Korean food is from decades of poverty and deprivation. Korea is just starting to climb out of this, when I lived there they were getting their first kind of modern chefs trying to get Korean food back to its roots and make it better. Hipsters are fun to mock but think about how bad American food was before then. Korea's still in the equivalent of the 1980s steam table era.

C) The sugar thing loving sucks, yeah. Korean food is way too sweet. If you haven't been to Korea you may not know this, because most of the immigrants left before the sugar thing started and Korean food in places like the US is more like it used to be. Korea puts sugar and corn/rice syrup in or on loving everything. There's not a definitive answer how or why, but it started around when Korea started getting money so it's probably connected to that. We can afford sweets now, sweet everything! Unfortunately, it tastes lovely and is unhealthy--Korea has one of, if not the, fastest growing diabetes rates in the world plus generally people are getting fat at an American pace.

When you live in Korea and try a new food you get to play everyone's favorite game, Is It Sweet? and the answer is always yes. The funniest part is Koreans constantly complain that "foreign" food is too sweet, while dumping corn syrup directly onto a hot dog.

D) Korea is super into fads and fashions of all kinds. A couple times a year a new food fad would pop up and be absolutely everywhere. Last time I visited the big thing was cup steak, where you get a cup of soda, and there's a little plastic divider in it, and on the top of the cup is steak cooked well done and possibly some terrible waffle fries. Eat the steak and drink from the straw all in one package.

E) Instagram food. Yeah, this and D happen everywhere, but the scale in Korea is off the loving charts compared to most other places.

F) Nobody in Korea learns to cook until they get married and leave home. People just don't know food as well if they don't learn to cook. After a couple years there I was better at Korean food than any of my Korean friends since they were all unmarried, and only one of them had ever cooked something more complex than instant noodles before. I think this is also changing slightly as celebrity chefs become a thing.

G) What Korea does to foreign food is best not spoken of. I can't explain it. It's always a nightmare and I don't know why.

H) Actual Korean food, while good, is also very limited. There are basically zero herbs or spices used, there are only a handful of flavor profiles, at least half the cuisine is "put all this in a pot and boil it forever". There's a lot of resistance to altering traditional food, so I think there might be some pent up desire to do different poo poo that comes out as putting ice cream on a baked potato.

I) Korean food is actually not that old! Koreans insist everything is ultra traditional with a history of thousands of years but chili peppers weren't even used all that often until the 1980s. It was considered kind of gauche to make things spicy back in the day. I have no idea how Korea manages the kind of forgetting it does, like marijuana was a common part of Korean culture until the late 1960s then overnight became The Worst Thing In The World and most people have zero idea it was ever a thing. Same with chilies being new, all I ever heard living there was how Koreans invented the chili pepper 13,000 years ago and no other culture eats peppers or garlic.

Anyway that was a bunch of words. Korean food is good. Except bibimbap, never order bibimbap.

E: And while I'm here I will continue my crusade for learning Korean food. It's good and most is pretty easy to make. https://koreanbapsang.com/ is the best online resource in English. Maangchi's food sucks, avoid.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Why is bibimbap bad?