Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Elmnt80 posted:

In other news, I bought an AK. Fun times.

How's the ammo supply? I heard some recent sanctions on Russia are making 7.62x39 supplies dry up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I got a new car and I really like it!

It's an EV - it's utterly unreal to drive - and it's black, on black, with the extra Black Pack.

My mates have already christened it 'the spaceship'.

(I'd post it in the EV thread but it always appears to be filled with shouting)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sick car

meltie posted:

post it in there and tell them how fast it accelerates, it'll be funny

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

How's the ammo supply? I heard some recent sanctions on Russia are making 7.62x39 supplies dry up.
I wish Ammo wasn't such a pain in the dick to sell/move across borders. I've got thousands of rounds of x39, both standard surplus and tracer. I will probably only shoot a small percentage of it :(

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always stuck to .22LR. Effortless fun to shoot for all ages, versatile for hunting/survival/SHTF, cheap, easy to find, and you can carry 1,000 rounds of it in your backpack no sweat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Biden banning russian ammo sure is making people angry. The same people who scream BUY AMERICAN at people who drive Hondas.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slothrop posted:

You gotta remember the therapist isn’t there as an adversary, but as someone who is trying to help you. It’s not a battle of wits, nor are they trying to “unzip” you. A good psych or therapist is just there to listen and hopefully give you some tools to help manage anxiety

Yeah... I have trouble being vulnerable in real life, I'm great at opening up online and will easily overshare, but I can't quite translate that into sharing with the real people in front of me without a lot of time to get comfortable. Also, it probably didn't help that every time I was seeing a therapist in my life, it wasn't entirely voluntary, so I was even more guarded and focused on protecting myself

Rhyno posted:

Biden banning russian ammo sure is making people angry. The same people who scream BUY AMERICAN at people who drive Hondas.

Ah, but once you do the 7 layers of mental gymnastics, it makes perfect sense and actually isn't hypocritical at all because

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Imagined posted:

I've always stuck to .22LR. Effortless fun to shoot for all ages, versatile for hunting/survival/SHTF, cheap, easy to find, and you can carry 1,000 rounds of it in your backpack no sweat.

I diversify my ammo holdings but a solid 50% or more is .22lr. Same reasons as you. I also have a ton of .22wmr, a fair amount of .223, 9mm and 5.7, and middling quantities of .40, .45acp, .44mag, .17hmr and .380. I guess I like variety.

Earlier this year I night my first suppressor, just for .22 since I have like five guns with threaded barrels rust I can interchange the can on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Side trip from my normal bullshit -- I like Ikea furniture. Not necessarily their aesthetic, but the flat pack idea. I've put together maybe 10 of their pieces over the years and have never had any trouble with what was sent or how it was made. Is it perfect? No, there's definitely been some janky edges and some generally unfinished bits, but what I like about it is that -- YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION. Not just to parts and orientation, but to the material. It'd be super easy to go at it like a monkey and end up with broken parts. It's like a mechanical empathy test, and I think it's valuable for everyone.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meatpimp posted:

Side trip from my normal bullshit -- I like Ikea furniture. Not necessarily their aesthetic, but the flat pack idea. I've put together maybe 10 of their pieces over the years and have never had any trouble with what was sent or how it was made. Is it perfect? No, there's definitely been some janky edges and some generally unfinished bits, but what I like about it is that -- YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION. Not just to parts and orientation, but to the material. It'd be super easy to go at it like a monkey and end up with broken parts. It's like a mechanical empathy test, and I think it's valuable for everyone.

Yep - and you can put it together with a ratchet and hex bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am trying to replace most of our MDF junk with older used stuff. The Ikea stuff is cheap and cheerful but doesn't really hold up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love ikea but if you have to move and you're not careful it's ruined. I adore my expedit shelves but they're a bit worn after four moves.

The new stuff is much higher quality though, we furnished the wife's office with ikea and it's all much nicer than what I have.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always think IKEA stuff is only meant for wherever you put it together. If it survives even one move it's a bonus, but not expected. I just wish the nearest store wasn't a 3 hour drive from me, or that they'd properly do online shopping. Last I looked people seem to make a decent side hustle living near an IKEA store and reselling their stuff on Amazon for a slight markup. If people are going to do that anyway, IKEA ought to do it themselves.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am trying to replace most of our MDF junk with older used stuff. The Ikea stuff is cheap and cheerful but doesn't really hold up.

We have had 4 Ikea Kallax shelves for 10 years in 3 condos. Maybe not all their stuff holds up, but some of it does

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

meltie posted:

Yep - and you can put it together with a ratchet and hex bit.

I'm the idiot who assembles IKEA furniture with an impact driver (I'm pretty good at not bap-bap-bapping the particle board). I also add glue when I can. It makes the furniture more rigid.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

Agreed. My M12 screwdriver makes assembly infinitely faster and easier as well. Set the clutch on like 4 or 5 and just send everything home. Our bed frame survived a move (mostly) and a couple of the small LACK tables have stood up for a remarkable number of years in my wife's classroom.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a bunch of Ikea stuff, the real wood pieces are actually nice and the cheaper stuff is cheap enough so who cares.

I just got a platform bed from them because it was the only decent one I could find that had storage drawers and was reasonably priced.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
make sure you buy a pozidriv bit for your ikea stuff

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Imagined posted:

I just wish the nearest store wasn't a 3 hour drive from me,

I just looked it up. The one near me is 3.2 miles from my house. Another of the ridiculous conveniences living here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it were up to me I'd only buy old/thrift furniture again, but IKEA has its place and we've bookcases and wardrobes that have survived 5 and 3 moves respectively.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Reads ammo chat and cries in Australian….

I’ve got about 200 rounds of .243 Win to reload soon and that’s easily going to cost me $1.50 a round in consumables alone

If you look at factory loads, your going to be paying $40-50/20 rounds. It’s not a cheap hobby to go to a range and blast for an hr or so with a centrefire here.

Dads .257 Robert’s AI is even more pricey to shoot- your looking at $2-3 a round for reloads and brass that won’t really go more than 4-5 reloads before the primer pockets get loose.

In other news, I’m disappearing up the Flinders Ranges for a week. Going totally off the grid- got the HF radio but that will only get turned on when needed.

Gonna be nice waking up to this view for a few mornings!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'd post my ammo hoard but I don't want to be on any more government watch lists than I'm already on.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I paid nearly $1 a shell for some 00 12 gauge buckshot 2-3 months ago bc what’s the point in having a new semi auto if you don’t have ammo. Stock was non existent but it’s popping up again now.

Haven’t shot in ages but have a decent stockpile of 12/22/45 and AR rounds now to sit on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not that I shoot any of my rifles because I currently have nowhere to do so, only my Shotguns, two of which are now broken.... But I try to only buy poo poo that has cheap ammo. Thus far .22lr, .30-30 and 6.5mm creedmoor. Well, ok, the last one probably wouldn't classify as cheap, compared to like .223 or some other stuff thats been around for a lot longer, but on sale, I can usually pick it up for a bit less than a buck a round.

And target shotgun shells in 12 and 20 are pretty inexpensive. And luckily in Canada, we don't seem to have the shortages that you guys south of the border have.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

shoot 338 lapua erryday

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

RIP Charlie Watts

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don’t own guns because I’m a liberal or whatever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have what is probably an insane amount of 9mm for having never fired either gun I bought last year.

I'm officially on vacation and I'm flying out to spend the rest of the week with my best friend. And in a move that guarantees I won't speaking to her for some time, my mother has demanded I cancel my trip to be here for the funeral. Now, my sister and BIL have already assured me I don't need to be there but my mother wants me there in case she needs me and has gone nuclear crazy in the last 24 hours.

I can barely deal with this bullshit anymore.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Krakkles posted:

Wife told me to get a hobby I could do I the summer here. There are a bunch of indoor ranges so I go down there, rent something that looks cool, grab some ammo and go try to hit the target in the nuts. So now it is like so I want something of my own so I can play gun dress up? As in modify the gun with a stupid paint scheme rather than a fat goon dress up as spec ops.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BigPaddy posted:

Wife told me to get a hobby I could do I the summer here. There are a bunch of indoor ranges so I go down there, rent something that looks cool, grab some ammo and go try to hit the target in the nuts. So now it is like so I want something of my own so I can play gun dress up? As in modify the gun with a stupid paint scheme rather than a fat goon dress up as spec ops.

You'll love r/tacticalgear. It's an honest fashion subreddit. And lots of people who claim otherwise.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

RIP Charlie Watts

I'd been seeing on some FB music based pages the past few weeks wishing Charlie a quick recovery from surgery. Sadly it looks like it wasn't the case.

Such a dapper gentleman. That would leave Mick and Keith as the only original members now I think

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He punched Jagger in the face once for referring to him as "my drummer". "I'm not your drummer, you're my singer!" he's supposed to have said. So he gets points from me in that regard. Jagger definitely seems punchable.

That being said, I can't remember ever specifically noting the drums on any Stones song in a positive or negative way. I think Charlie was in the Nick Mason school of solid workmanlike reliability.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meltie posted:

Nah, EV thread is pretty chill these days. Altho someone posting about Doug Demuro's O Face was...... ugh. No. Just. No.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Paint dress up can be fun but probably my favorite part is how much a couple parts can turn a reasonably priced gun into something really nice to shoot. There seems to be a lot of a parallel with cars in most people who loudly post about it assume more aftermarket and more expensive must be better but nice irons and a trigger are the tires and brake pads of gun mods.

Also I find cleaning guns after a range trip surprisingly zen.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I mean it kind of sucks that it'll be hard to find makarov rounds now but besides that I really don't give a gently caress.
Hell I'm not even sure if I would have preferred that Biden do it under the guise of "creating American jobs"

I haven't really been to the range since the pandemic started anyway because I know exactly the kind of people that hang out there and it was barely tolerable BEFORE I had to worry about which rear end in a top hat was gonna spit in my masked face just to prove a point.

Anywho, happy Tuesday goons!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So our governor banned mask mandates in schools. Also in any establishment that receives funding from the state, and in any place with an alcohol license (TABC has threatened to revoke licenses over them). :wtc:

Several school districts basically just said "gently caress you" and did them anyway. Texas Supreme Court basically sided with the schools for now.

One school district here didn't. They're also not making students quarantine at home, or making them stay home, even after a confirmed positive case. School has only been in session roughly 2 weeks, and they have 400+ confirmed cases. Parents showed up to a school board meeting to shout about how masks are child abuse and the usual COVID-denier crap (not documented in the below link, but I know several parents with kids in that district, and some of them attended the school board meeting - it's also very well documented on /r/Austin).

The county wants them to shut down for 10 days (warning: autoplay video in the link). That'd help for, oh, a week or so.

Somehow Austin ISD, which is wayyyyyyyyyyyy bigger, has a positivity rate of 0.1%. Why? They send kids home to quarantine when they test positive. Who'da thunk that'd help? :hurr:

Gub'nr Abbott is quickly turning into Floridaman DeSantis.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meltie posted:

I got a new car and I really like it!

It's an EV - it's utterly unreal to drive - and it's black, on black, with the extra Black Pack.

My mates have already christened it 'the spaceship'.

On the ethical opposite side of the transportation coin, I also did a buying thing. It's pure ICE, v6 and turbocharged cause I like it that's why.

Absolutely dwarfs the wagon, which can haul more poo poo, and it gets worse gas mileage by a lot. But my old DAD (check the plate) rear end can sit in it and traverse half the continent at a stretch. This is a thing I now regularly do. At 430,000 miles Schwags has gotten kinda scruffy, and the brakes even in the best of conditions are outmatched by every modern turd rolling. Also having air conditioning is nice, I like that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

In other news, I’m disappearing up the Flinders Ranges for a week. Going totally off the grid- got the HF radio but that will only get turned on when needed.

Gonna be nice waking up to this view for a few mornings!

drat boy, enjoy the trip. Super jealous! Meanwhile I'm not allowed to leave my 5km urban Melbourne bubble and I'm starting to lose my loving mind. I'd love to be able to head out camping, just for one night. Campfire, solitude, whisky, stars.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

I don't not own guns because I sailed clear through "liberal" and straight into leftist before I realized I wasn't a right wing libertarian anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What is the Russian ammo ban supposed to do, according to proponents? Make ammo prices go up?