Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of blockchain and NFT thought is exactly like Sovereign Citizen thought where they fundamentally misunderstand how law and contracts work (among with almost everything else). Their approach towards them is somewhere between magical thinking, 'alternative medicine' and a cargo cult. The difference is, they don't have the excuse of being isolated islanders with very little context available for their experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

MarcusSA posted:

What kinda Diamond gets destroyed in a fire?

Any diamond, they actually ignite and burn at around 700-800 C; can't ignite one with a match but a blowtorch is enough. Get emeralds or rubies instead, they're fireproof.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Has anybody made an NFT of the queen's jewels yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Any diamond, they actually ignite and burn at around 700-800 C; can't ignite one with a match but a blowtorch is enough. Get emeralds or rubies instead, they're fireproof.

Well you should definitely know.

I had no idea I figured they were hard enough to withstand fire but guess not!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, speaking of dumb bubbles, turns out the guy who caused a bubble in coin collection in the 80s and got smacked hard by the FTC is at it again with video games

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think if you're just buying it knowing it's stupid but wanting to gamble short term on it I don't think it's really any particularly dumber than any other form of gambling, it's only really dumb if you think like the NFT diamond lady above

The amount of energy spent of scratch-and-win lotto tickets is less than that required to make an NFT and the odds of a lotto ticket are printed on the back.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

They're just Carbon, so all of them.

The center of the Earth makes diamonds and somehow our simple human fires can destroy them. Why are diamonds valuable again?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hobologist posted:

But if my diamond was destroyed in a fire, and I have fire insurance, then what the hell is the NFT for?

Why are you insuring something you have an NFT for? Even if the thing is destroyed you still have the NFT :confused:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You can blowtorth a diamond but it wont' burn away to nothing unless you drop it into pure liquid oxygen according to some googling. But who knows.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What about chakra crystals from budk????????????

And/or

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
a scam targeting people who have never actually thought about what makes money money

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

to the MOOOOOON

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 24, 2021

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Why are you insuring something you have an NFT for? Even if the thing is destroyed you still have the NFT :confused:

yeah but what if it gets stolen and now you have an NFT for a stolen thing, criminal

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I always thought NFTs were like the way Ravencoin works or something?

Eg, Ravencoin is burned to make a certificate of ownership of a real world asset, and when that real world asset is sold or transferred, you send the Certificate to the new owner and this is supposed to help with theft or false claims etc over who the true owner is. So are these NFTs or are NFTs just pixel art jpegs someone bought a deed to?

Help

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's less than that, even. Imagine I write a receipt. But, instead of handing you a receipt, I give you a URL that points to an image of the receipt that I ostensibly gave you. That's it. Well, what are the legal rights granted by that receipt? What if the site that the URL points to goes down? Lol, gently caress you.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

a dmc delorean posted:

Eg, Ravencoin is burned to make a certificate of ownership of a real world asset, and when that real world asset is sold or transferred, you send the Certificate to the new owner and this is supposed to help with theft or false claims etc over who the true owner is. So are these NFTs or are NFTs just pixel art jpegs someone bought a deed to?

Help

Haven't read anything about "Ravencoin", but it sounds like a cargo cult understanding of property rights.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

a dmc delorean posted:

Help
All smart contracts make no real sense (trustless entitlements and custody are a commune, not a logical ledger) and diamond lady is leaning more into some gestalt smart contracts rai stone currency insanity.

But NFTs as popularized in 2021 are even more insane and specific in that they are smart contracts that result in being able to copy and paste a URL encoded in the blockchain.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

So, speaking of dumb bubbles, turns out the guy who caused a bubble in coin collection in the 80s and got smacked hard by the FTC is at it again with video games

i hope this guy gets kicked in the balls (the speculator, not the author of this video)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parkingtigers posted:

I keep my passwords safe by writing them down and burying them under my birdbath in case I forget them.

I keep mine under a race car bed. Do you keep yours under a race car bed?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IG-88 posted:

My coworker just bought one of those Punk NFTs for 7k.

“Watch me flip this in 2 months for 200-300%”

Can you post in two months

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

a dmc delorean posted:

Help

Holy poo poo, I remember Ravencoin was one my cousin tried to convince me to throw $100 at it a few years ago because it was like, 5 cents per coin and to treat it like a penny stock. I ignored it because I wasn't about to throw my money at some random altcoin (or crypto in general).

Not that any of this info would have convinced me otherwise, but I didn't know that there was something different about it.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

Can you post in two months

I promise you I'll update as soon as he sells. We're a huge sales team - like 300+ and there's a crypto chat he runs where like 50 of the team are in on and to be honest, he sometimes makes good calls if all you give a poo poo about is making money. I know, I know. (I've yet to follow his advice)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

latinotwink1997 posted:

The center of the Earth makes diamonds and somehow our simple human fires can destroy them. Why are diamonds valuable again?

To answer a probable shitpost with a serious answer, artificial scarcity.

Which is why anybody thinks NFTs are worth a loving thing. The "Cryptopunk" thing has a master PNG file you can just download and have them all.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Is the reason why NFTs are trading like they are now, is they are used for money laundering schemes? Perhaps to obfuscate crypto transactions? That's the only use case I can think of, for buying a URL to pixelated art of a tulip for several thousand dollars.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

KinkyJohn posted:

Has anybody made an NFT of the queen's jewels yet?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nnnotime posted:

Is the reason why NFTs are trading like they are now, is they are used for money laundering schemes? Perhaps to obfuscate crypto transactions? That's the only use case I can think of, for buying a URL to pixelated art of a tulip for several thousand dollars.

It’s almost certainly a fake-out where some dude pretends to buy NFTs for thousands and thousands of dollars and then uses the hype to sell an NFT to some dumdum.

Sometimes scams aren’t just for money laundering!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

IG-88 posted:

I promise you I'll update as soon as he sells. We're a huge sales team - like 300+ and there's a crypto chat he runs where like 50 of the team are in on and to be honest, he sometimes makes good calls if all you give a poo poo about is making money. I know, I know. (I've yet to follow his advice)

FYI crypto in general has only gone up along with the greater stock market due to the wild amounts of money flowing into the system specifically to do that

be careful about thinking any one person is more informed or making good calls

It is all blind luck and these people can no more predict a market crash than we can, they just happened to have money in the market at the right time

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

emoji posted:

I got $2k in real world money out of dogecoin I mined years ago for half an hour using free aws credit bc I thought the meme was funny OP

You still have it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/RealNatashaChe/status/1430248952818028544

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

IG-88 posted:

he sometimes makes good calls if all you give a poo poo about is making money.

The question to ask is if "sometimes" is better than 50%.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Sure we have NFT!
Non-Floral Tulipmania

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Lol she's gonna make out like a bandit. Not a bad payoff for acting like a complete idiot online, which I do for free!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The token never existed actually. NFTs are just lovely DRM that escaped a web browser.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
*throws diamond in trash* THERE WE GO GUYS TOTALLY DESTROYED IT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bitcoin and NFTs have taught us that lots of people don't actually understand or haven't put any real thought into the basic assumptions and mechanics of a capitalist system and economy, including and perhaps especially the most wealthy and powerful in it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm honestly surprised people are still talking about NFTs at this point. I thought it was such a blatantly idiotic scam it would have blown over by now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm honestly surprised people are still talking about [thing] at this point. I thought it was such a blatantly idiotic scam it would have blown over by now.

here you go, a handy template for everything even tangentially related to crypto

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Sausages posted:

Sure we have NFT!
Non-Floral Tulipmania

Memory of a Tulip.
By Dior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

D-Pad posted:

Your coworker is an idiot but the sad thing is that right now there is a really big amounts of idiots and he actually has a decent chance of making money on it. It's incredibly stupid but that hasn't stopped crypto for the last 10 years. I hate this world.

When NFT's first got popular after that big sale I took a picture of my dog taking a dump intending to mint an NFT and make a couple of hundred for laughs but then I saw how much gas fees were and gently caress that.

Wrong. Those people paying big bucks for those NFTs are buying the original one, not buying one off a previous owner. In other words, even though original purchase amount might be huge, the resale value for NFTs is just absolute dogshit. Someone posted figures for this earlier in the thread, I wish had the link handy.