Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Read the book Radium Girls last winter

They used to pump radiation into absolutely everything in the early 20th century, good to see it's making a comeback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I thought NFTs weren’t really linked to individual objects, and you could make a bunch of NFTs of that diamond?

I really don’t understand this NFT thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I thought NFTs weren’t really linked to individual objects, and you could make a bunch of NFTs of that diamond?

Yeah isn’t it like - you go to sell your house and Zillow makes an NFT of the listing. Actually they make 5 NFTs of the listing and they all sell out. Redfin and Zillow do the same thing. Now 15 people own the listing of your house on various websites, but nobody bought the actual house and also anyone can look at the listings still.

It’s like crypto in that I don’t see a realistic use case outside of Number Go Up. At least with crypto you can buy real drugs or whatever, though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure poo poo's exactly the same now, turns out debt doesn't actually matter unless you're of the peasant class because as long as you have the right dad you'll get infinity extra lives.

B-b-but I've had to work hard and deserve everything I got everyone else was just lazy!

Residency Evil posted:

NFTs are like the reverse of quantum mechanics.

If you don't understand NFTs, it means you understand NFTs

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I know nothing about NFTs, other than my sister's boyfriend bought one for $800 and sold it for $90k

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Omne posted:

I know nothing about NFTs, other than my sister's boyfriend bought one for $800 and sold it for $90k

I bet every time he tells the story those two numbers change

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

I bet every time he tells the story those two numbers change

The worst that could happen is that I could spill coffee all over this $3,000 suit. Come on.
Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. Come on.
Yeah, like I'm going to take a whiz through this $5,000 suit. Come on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Omne posted:

90k actual USD or 90k crypto that has a theoretical value of 90k USD assuming his crypto exchange doesn't exit scam or simply close his account when he tries to cash out? Because I'm betting the latter.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

An article about a timeshare that's not a timeshare that are playing "I'm not touching you" with the law to get around prohibitions on AirBnB style renting

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/08/24/1030151330/a-unicorn-startup-is-turning-houses-into-corporations

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

PurpleXVI posted:

90k actual USD or 90k crypto that has a theoretical value of 90k USD assuming his crypto exchange doesn't exit scam or simply close his account when he tries to cash out? Because I'm betting the latter.

This; when he sold it he got Ethereum back

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Omne posted:

This; when he sold it he got Ethereum back

Well.. at least that’s one I know people have successfully converted into FIAT MONEY.

I was hoping for Ripple or similar.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DarkHorse posted:

An article about a timeshare that's not a timeshare that are playing "I'm not touching you" with the law to get around prohibitions on AirBnB style renting

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/08/24/1030151330/a-unicorn-startup-is-turning-houses-into-corporations

"We're not a time share!" insists company selling fractional portions of homes with an app so that the owners can schedule how they will share time in it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Omne posted:

Gamblers will always tell you about their wins.

The key to coming out ahead when making risky bets is stop betting. Reversion to the mean catches is a certainty if you keep playing long enough.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DarkHorse posted:

No heroes in this story.
One group is bothering rich people, which is good. But that same group is either buying or selling timeshares, which is bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

quote:

The night after they closed on the house, Allison says in a promotional video, he and his wife sat around a fire "thinking how appreciative we were to be second homeowners. And, from that moment, I've always been inspired about making the dream of second home ownership possible for more people."
gently caress you, you ex-Zillow SV shitfucker.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

quote:

The night after they closed on the house, Allison says in a promotional video, he and his wife sat around a fire "thinking how appreciative we were to be second homeowners. And, from that moment, I've always been inspired about making the dream of second home ownership possible for more people."
Funny, based on their company's model its users are actually 1/8 homeowners.

This is a great, infuriating story with no side worth rooting for.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 25, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
The part about the new timeshare owner showing up and realizing everyone hates them is pretty funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jesus loving Christ. I am approaching hour two of a conversation with Ebay support.

I'm going to screenshot some of this conversation when it is over.

Ebay took down almost a dozen of my listings and hit me with the full fees for all of them - over $600 for early cancellation, 22% of total list values, shipping, and fees for cancelling auctions with an active bid - for violating their policy against selling "counterfeit currency" by selling... coins from the U.S. Mint.

The Ebay support guy is currently trying to argue that, just because it is legal tender printed by the U.S. Mint, that doesn't prove it isn't counterfeit. I'm telling him that I don't think it is even legally possible for the U.S. Mint to issue counterfeit currency.

Two.

Hours.

&

$600.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I am approaching hour two of a conversation with Ebay support.

I'm going to screenshot some of this conversation when it is over.

Ebay took down almost a dozen of my listings and hit me with the full fees for all of them - over $600 for early cancellation, 22% of total list values, shipping, and fees for cancelling auctions with an active bid - for violating their policy against selling "counterfeit currency" by selling... coins from the U.S. Mint.

The Ebay support guy is currently trying to argue that, just because it is legal tender printed by the U.S. Mint, that doesn't prove it isn't counterfeit. I'm telling him that I don't think it is even legally possible for the U.S. Mint to issue counterfeit currency.

Two.

Hours.

&

$600.

haha, wait they're not trying to argue you minted your own fake silver eagles, they're saying that silver eagles in general aren't real money? like cashiers that refuse to take two dollar bills?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

haha, wait they're not trying to argue you minted your own fake silver eagles, they're saying that silver eagles in general aren't real money? like cashiers that refuse to take two dollar bills?

Ebay is currently asking me to get proof from the U.S. Mint that the U.S. Mint is not issuing counterfeit money or they will keep my $600.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

pretty decent Catch-22 fan fic

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

they're secretly trying to steal the lucrative silver-reselling racket from you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He isn't a native English speaker and can't get most of the sense of what you're saying.

"This is not counterfeit. It is made by the official US Mint. Let me talk to your manager" will get you farther than using more logical reasoning or complex sentences.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah you need to be escalating.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah you need to be escalating.

I got it escalated and Bryan saved me.

Jerome refused to escalate me and I had to file a new ticket to get Bryan.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gently caress it, reach out to the US Mint to get a statement. Someone there should get a hell of a laugh about it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So, uh, why do people buy stuff from the US mint from you for a premium instead of buying from the mint? It seems like a pretty low barrier to entry endeavor.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Velius posted:

So, uh, why do people buy stuff from the US mint from you for a premium instead of buying from the mint? It seems like a pretty low barrier to entry endeavor.

I imagine the coins in question were made in limited quantities, so you can't get any more from the Mint.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Velius posted:

Because they only mint ~100k of the coins, they sell out seconds after they become available, and the U.S. mint will not sell more than one set to any household in the U.S.

So, you have to get lucky and park yourself on the buy page, and mash F5 to make sure you get in before it crashes. Some of them launch at 5 am on the West Coast, so there are people who want them, but can't get them and will pay a premium to get your order.

Demand has crashed. Ebay really hosed me with the week suspension, because some of them were selling for $300+ on release day, but those same coins have tons of listings at $125 with 0 bids today.

FOMO and exclusivity on launch day is where the money comes from. There are also a lot of crazy people who want to buy silver and gold online because they think the government is going to make owning silver and gold illegal soon and they want "off the record" dragon hoards of it.

Some of them you get unlucky with. I have a set of coins that cost me about $800 that won't sell and I am probably going to be stuck with. But, I made enough from the first round to cover the costs of them.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Lol at anyone that thinks these screenshots aren’t heavily edited in mspaint.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

laxbro posted:

Lol at anyone that thinks these screenshots aren’t heavily edited in mspaint.

They are, but just to cover the names and order numbers.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop I just took with my browser open. Not sure why you think I needed to make it up.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
eBay customer service is uh, not the best and brightest. It’s one of the reasons I stopped selling on eBay.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tumblr hype man posted:

eBay customer service is uh, not the best and brightest. It’s one of the reasons I stopped selling on eBay.

Yeah. I bounced out hard when they screwed me out of $10. I can't imagine having $600 on the line.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Not sure why you think I needed to make it up.

Uh, says the poster who has been caught red handed on multiple occasions taking artistic license with copy/paste reddit material.

I mean, I'm not doubting you in this case, but lmao dude come on, you've got a history here.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Some of them you get unlucky with. I have a set of coins that cost me about $800 that won't sell and I am probably going to be stuck with. But, I made enough from the first round to cover the costs of them.

maybe that one dude from indiana will still drive over to get them from you

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

maybe that one dude from indiana will still drive over to get them from you

That’s the guy that reported him to ebay, because he was mad OP wouldn’t take his money order.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Other than an employee somehow running the machines to make coins without authorization, is it literally possible for the US Mint to make counterfeit coins?

Or what if an employee DOES somehow run the machines without authorization - do they count as counterfeit? What a weird thing to think about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elysium posted:

That’s the guy that reported him to ebay, because he was mad OP wouldn’t take his money order.

I doubt that guy did. But, how does the Ebay process work? I assume it is automated, but surely not triggered by a single report? Lots of other people had the same listings and didn't get dinged. Someone has to approve those or the auto-trigger threshold has to be high, right? Otherwise, it would be ridiculously easy to get anyone suspended and on the hook for fees with a single report.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

AceClown posted:

there's a good BMW post in the r/relationships thread that I'm going to cross post here

My wife (28/F) of three years called me (35/M) boring for my lack of ambition and being content in life.

Some context

Update: My wife (28/F) of 3 years called me (35/M)boring for my lack of ambition and being content in life.

From pages ago, but I think it’s worth pointing out that this is quite literally the difference between 28 year old and 35 year old me. At 28 I was all ambition and career advancement and “I want to run this company!” Now at 35 I’m like, nah that’s cool, I’m good at my job and I like it and this is fine, why would I take on more stress? The speed of my life changed more dramatically over the past 7 years than it did in the decade before that. This couple obviously has bigger problems but the age gap probably doesn’t help.

I love these posts about how much work it is to create a part-time job for yourself buying and selling collectors items. Cool if you can make some money and enjoy doing it, but lolol that all just looks exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Velius posted:

Also, here is a pro-tip for stuff like this:

Sign up for the newsletter from one of those commission-based sites that buy tons of products when they have limits on household sales like Pointsmakers or some partner site on Swagbucks.

When you get the emails telling you to opt in for a commission on an item, see which ones they are offering high commissions for or spamming you with multiple emails encouraging you to sign up to provide it for them.

Use that to figure out what to buy and go flip it on Ebay instead of signing up to sell it to them.

So far, it has worked for me for a bunch of coins, a couple of limited release Apple products (including a $50 Apple Pencil that sold for $120 - I have no idea why), and some various computer parts.

I've had to eat the cost for one or two things that won't sell, but have come out pretty far ahead overall with minimal work. Although, sometimes people (or Ebay) are insane and turn it into a chore that is way harder than it needs to be.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 26, 2021