Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The first Iron Snake book would be a good choice for a mini series since the entire book is basically from a human pov and that a single space marine is the last resort rapid response force for a dark eldar ship crash landing and beginning to pick off the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If we get Space Marines they need to be a Deus Ex Machina when all is lost, like in the 2nd book in the Vaults if Terra series.

When all is lost have them turn up and after 30 seconds of pure aural and visual assault everything is dead. They don't need characterisation or much screen time just full Michael Bay for a tiny amount of time to be cool and that is it.

Like Judge Dredd in the 2000AD comics.
I haven't read any myself but I hear it's mostly drama and world building the setting and then Dredd shows up to "I AM THE LAW." :blastu: :gibs::gibs::gibs::gibs::gibs::gibs:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Judge Dredd comics are slightly more subtle than that, but not a whole lot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arquinsiel posted:

The Judge Dredd comics are slightly more subtle than that, but not a whole lot.

From comics youtubers that have done a few breakdowns I get it, Dredd is there to contrast the harshness of the world and laws and his own by the letter interpretations.
Like a space marine squad should be there to show the absolute savagery of the weapons the Emperor unleashed on aliens and mankind alike after establishing the average persons plight in any circumstance.

ASTARTES while it was available did a remarkable job of having the marines mechanically slaughter a whole battalion of soldiers.
And it wasn't so much effortless but measured and precise death dealing.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"BE NOT AFRAID" one booms, descending from the Emperor's holy heaven on wings of flame

Not gonna lie, having a space marine say that line through a helmet speaker along with being emperor's angels of death, their chapter name and all to a weary bleeding guardsmen that was resigned to getting a bolter to the face in that moment would be beautiful. Keeping his point of view as ASTARTES level carnage happens around them.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 25, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MariusLecter posted:

ASTARTES while it was available

GW has left the episode 1-5 compilations up on YouTube, so the originals are very much available.

Also, watch Karl Urban's Dredd. It's awesome in many respects.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Warhammer+ is out.

Angels of Death was great I am very excited about this one. I wasn't really feeling the trailers but the first episode was very well done. Basically Helsreach with a budget, good on GW for hiring the dude.

Hammer and Bolter episodes were good, but too short. I would really like it a lot more if they were a full hour with a longer story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll wait for youtube leaks that will invariably happen and watch them in short bursts between GW copyright purges. I like 40K but not enough to shell out for a streaming service solely for their content.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Am I missing something or is Ghostmaker really... disjointed?

I know people said that the first GG book is basically a collection of short stories, and I know that Abnett said he didn't really find his groove until the third book, but how is the second book regarded? It feels like a short story collection as well, and I keep turning back to see if I missed something between chapters.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Am I missing something or is Ghostmaker really... disjointed?

I know people said that the first GG book is basically a collection of short stories, and I know that Abnett said he didn't really find his groove until the third book, but how is the second book regarded? It feels like a short story collection as well, and I keep turning back to see if I missed something between chapters.

Ghostmaker is basically abnett trying to figure out "hey who are these guys anyway", a collection isn't a bad way to think about it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Monthax campaign in Ghostmaker is just a framing device that Abnett used to connect the short stories he'd written for warhammer magazines. First and Only is also a series of short stories but they were written sequentially as part of a serial.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Warhammer+ - Holy poo poo was Angels of Death amazing. I had a lower bar set because Helsreach was good, but it was kinda sketchy in every sense of the word. Angels of Death, however, it's like he leveled up to proto-Astartes level. It's loving GOOD.

Space Marine movie would be boring? I'd watch a 50 hour long movie of just Space Marines at this point. So good.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Night Lords as a tv-show would rule

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The only thing that bugged me about angels of death was that there's no ambient sound, which makes the audio sound like an audiobook playing over really cool animation. Like, when astartes walk around on a ship it's supposed to go CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Astartes are walking tanks, up to and including the ability to accelerate incredibly fast and do terrifying violence to everything around them at the drop of a hat. They're human shaped, not human.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The only thing that bugged me about angels of death was that there's no ambient sound, which makes the audio sound like an audiobook playing over really cool animation. Like, when astartes walk around on a ship it's supposed to go CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP

there's a fair amount of evidence from the books that they're actually fairly quiet when they want to be, like the background "buzz" of their reactors is often what gives them away and then only at quite close range where its too late for someone to react anyway.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wiegieman posted:

They're human shaped, not human.

Not a human trained to be a weapon, but a weapon with a human soul.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I want a night lords tv show done with 80’s He-Man style animation + effects.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Philthy posted:

Warhammer+ - Holy poo poo was Angels of Death amazing. I had a lower bar set because Helsreach was good, but it was kinda sketchy in every sense of the word. Angels of Death, however, it's like he leveled up to proto-Astartes level. It's loving GOOD.

Space Marine movie would be boring? I'd watch a 50 hour long movie of just Space Marines at this point. So good.

:agreed:

My only complaint, and it's hardly something that bothers me much at all, is that the lip syncing is spot on but the mouths look like they're moving REALLY fast. Doesn't stop episode 1 from being awesome though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I like the Techmarine in the blood angels warhammer+ series. I love tech weirdos.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
some of the animation felt a little cheap but I really liked all the episodes of Hammer and Bolter so far, especially the second episode

I love little horror vignettes like that and having a lord of change loving with people was kinda fun, showing the more subtle side of chaos is always the most fun part

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

some of the animation felt a little cheap but I really liked all the episodes of Hammer and Bolter so far, especially the second episode

I love little horror vignettes like that and having a lord of change loving with people was kinda fun, showing the more subtle side of chaos is always the most fun part

Yeah, you can tell the budgets are limited but they make good use of what they have

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the Techmarine in the blood angels warhammer+ series. I love tech weirdos.

Gimme more Cogboys with 90% of their script being *Sensibly chuckles*

I really liked in AoD that the marines came across as knowing each other really well. In one episode they really sold the brotherhood of warriors thing and I'm here for it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Lawdog69 posted:

I want a night lords tv show done with 80’s He-Man style animation + effects.

"Remember, always to ensure your blades are kept sharp before starting work in the skinning pits, and always save the children until last as their skin is easier to remove when you're tired. Until next time, friends"

<stock somersault animation>

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Exalted sounding exactly like Skeletor

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Improbable Lobster posted:

I could swear that he's played by Colin Baker. Which isn't someone I ever saw as playing a Space Marine, but he's drat good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Exalted sounding exactly like Skeletor

I imagined something more like Pearl from the Blade movie.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Rewatching Angels of Death for the third time now. The slow-mo suiting up is still giving me goosebumps with the cherubs handing off their weapons and armor. The entire thing just conveys Space Marines exist to do nothing but kick rear end in the most epic way possible.

The scoring for this is superb. It really can elevate almost anything if done right.

The ships captain also came across as someone you do not gently caress with, and I want to see a lot more of her.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Rewatching Angels of Death for the third time now. The slow-mo suiting up is still giving me goosebumps with the cherubs handing off their weapons and armor. The entire thing just conveys Space Marines exist to do nothing but kick rear end in the most epic way possible.

The scoring for this is superb. It really can elevate almost anything if done right.

The ships captain also came across as someone you do not gently caress with, and I want to see a lot more of her.

Please stop, you're making me want to subscribe to Warhammer+.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Philthy posted:

Yeah, the entire episode oozes atmosphere. Everything being black and white except for red is a really awesome visual choice.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I really dug it although I wish it wasn’t so dark.

The chaplain rules, I love how he’s so genial and wise despite wearing a goofy skull mask with glowing red eyes.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just realized what that vision was. :stare:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I don't know why folks seem surprised AoD is good (from perspective of technical and art direction); Helsreach was really great too.

I just wish they had launched with more stuff. Both animations available are very good, and I want more of it. Guess I'm going to go re-watch Helsreach.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Please stop, you're making me want to subscribe to Warhammer+.

The more people who sign up the better chance the Eisenhorn series actually gets made. It's your duty to the emperor.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

drgnvale posted:

I don't know why folks seem surprised AoD is good (from perspective of technical and art direction); Helsreach was really great too.

Helsreach was good but it was so hard to watch. A lot of the animations were kinda janky. I mean it was still better than most but when Astartes came out the bar was set for what a “commercial” 40k should look like. AoD is so dang close that it honestly surprised me. The dude isn’t alone anymore I guess so he can go a bit fancy now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

astartes is absolutely unbelievable. it blows my mind that something like that exists. i was on a call with my brother painting minis today and he told me stuff about it that i still hadn't gotten on multiple viewings. people talk about getting back into warhammer because of TTS, which doesn't really make sense to me, but my brother and i got back into 40k because of astartes so maybe they're telling the truth.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

D-Pad posted:

The more people who sign up the better chance the Eisenhorn series actually gets made. It's your duty to the emperor.

I still think it’s a pretty solid value for the annual subscription. $60 for the year (with new stuff every Wednesday), and a free mini (which even if you don’t want it, I’m 100% sure you could sell it for at least, like, $30), and a $10 voucher for the webstore, plus the stuff with the 40K app.

The app stuff doesn’t interest me because I really don’t play 40K specifically and I wish they’d do a full on Battlescribe competitor with list-building capabilities for all of their game systems.

Also uploading YouTube videos to the W+ app is a little tacky. like yeah I guess being able to watch the awesome Kill Team and 9e trailers on my TV is neat, but I could already do that with the YouTube app on my TV. Loading free YouTube content onto a premium subscription app feels like desperation to have launch content, it kind of cheapens the experience. Especially the Citadel entry-level painting tutorials that are, like, years old but have their own dedicated section in the W+ app for some reason. Like, come on.

Also not integrating the Warhammer Vault stuff into the app (and especially the TV app) sucks.

Edit— going back and watching the trailers for Warhammer+ pre-launch, like the animation sizzle reels and stuff, they included the 9e and Kill Team trailers in the footage.

1. Re the9e trailer, putting clips of a free, already-released trailer in the sizzle reel meant to pitch your premium service is mega tacky

2. Re the Kill Team trailer, pretty sneaky to put that in the sizzle reel well before the actual debut of the trailer, where no one’s the wiser. :haw:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Biplane posted:

Televise Fifteen Hours you fuckin cowards

Fifteen seamless one hour episodes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

Fifteen seamless one hour episodes.

Starring Kiefer Sutherland.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And a mountain lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

Especially the Citadel entry-level painting tutorials that are, like, years old but have their own dedicated section in the W+ app for some reason. Like, come on.
That alone I am kind of okay with. They did say that it was going to be their one stop shop for painting tutorials, so it makes sense to have all of it there.