Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this post has sure got ballz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tearaway Unfolded
Tearaway Unfolded Chapter 3

Finally got back to this, with one of the more unique levels in the game structurally. I'm gonna try not to take as long between videos in future, it's just been a really hectic year. The audio is a little inconsistent as I used a headset with a wobblier mic than I thought, so I'll use one of my other ones next time.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

LP One-Off: Carmageddon 64

As some of you may have noticed, AVGN released a video of this game a few days ago. However, since he wasn't familiar with Carmageddon II, he couldn't really go into detail on why this port is so abysmal. I, on the other hand, have played entirely too much Carmageddon II and can go into all sorts of detail, so now I shall suffer for your amusement...

And to answer the question in the clickbait thumbnail, not really. This is definitely an awful port, but there have been worse over the years.

Oh yeah, and MOTION SICKNESS WARNING! (I swear I wasn't drunk when I recorded this, but I'm not so sure about the person who programmed the car handling)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 13, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tearaway Unfolded
Tearaway Unfolded Chapter 4

We do a neat level that unlocks some fun mechanics, and has a small background event implied by the set dressing involving some kind of ancient battle.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Why would they port Carmageddon 2 when Carmageddon 1 existed? I was so disappointed with the zombie BS in that game when it came out, and it was otherwise worse in every way too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Why would they port Carmageddon 2 when Carmageddon 1 existed? I was so disappointed with the zombie BS in that game when it came out, and it was otherwise worse in every way too.
Zombies only existed in the censored version, the proper version had pedestrians. This was also the case with Carmageddon 1.

Carmageddon II definitely has problems (largely as a result of the publisher forcing the game to be released ahead of schedule in an obviously unfinished state) and lacks the gritty presentation of the first game, and the timed missions are horrible garbage for the most part. But it also has a much more advanced physics and damage model than the first game, which makes crashing into things a lot more entertaining, and I also quite like exploring the maps to hunt down upgrades and such.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Florence is a very short indie game that came out a couple of years ago. It tells the story of a young woman who is busy living her everyday life when things get turned upside-down. It's not because she goes on a grand adventure or some epic quest. No, it's because she meets a cute boy. The game is about 40 minutes long, so this isn't going to be a very lengthy LP.

This LP will be done with zero commentary because I feel the game is perfectly capable of speaking for itself quite well and it doesn't need some mumbly nerd ruining the delivery to tell dick jokes.

---

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 22, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

Florence is a very short indie game that came out a couple of years ago. It tells the story of a young woman who is busy living her everyday life when things get turned upside-down. It's not because she goes on a grand adventure or some epic quest. No, it's because she meets a cute boy. The game is about 40 minutes long, so this isn't going to be a very lengthy LP.

This LP will be done with zero commentary because I feel the game is perfectly capable of speaking for itself quite well and it doesn't need some mumbly nerd ruining the delivery to tell dick jokes.

---

Part 1

That was really cute! I like the way the minigames moved the story along, and even told a story themselves.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

That was really cute! I like the way the minigames moved the story along, and even told a story themselves.

Agreed. When I first heard about the game a couple of years back, the person talking about it described it with "metaphor as mechanic" which I think is a pretty apt way of describing the gameplay.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Florence Part 2

This is definitely the honeymoon phase of Florence's and Krish's relationship.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

Florence Part 2

This is definitely the honeymoon phase of Florence's and Krish's relationship.

I feel like the kid from The Princess Bride asking Grandpa if everyone in the story is going to be ok (not actually asking for spoilers).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I feel like the kid from The Princess Bride asking Grandpa if everyone in the story is going to be ok (not actually asking for spoilers).

Part 3 has some rocky seas for the cute couple. :ohdear:

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

Part 3 has some rocky seas for the cute couple. :ohdear:

Really enjoying this. When I realized that puzzle wasn't going to fit together, I let out an audible "oh poo poo." At least there's room for the salt and pepper shaker now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Really enjoying this. When I realized that puzzle wasn't going to fit together, I let out an audible "oh poo poo." At least there's room for the salt and pepper shaker now.

That whole sequence at the end of Part 3 was what convinced me that I had to show this off. It's such effective storytelling without saying a single word.

Part 4

And here's the end of the story! Thanks for watching this short little mini LP. :3:

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

That whole sequence at the end of Part 3 was what convinced me that I had to show this off. It's such effective storytelling without saying a single word.

Part 4

And here's the end of the story! Thanks for watching this short little mini LP. :3:

That was really good! I found it very relatable.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've been wanting to do something involving freeware adventure games for a while now. I remember throughout the '00s there was a lot of freeware adventure games cropping up all over the internet, a lot of which was thanks to the Adventure Game Studio website and its software. There was also quite a number of independent developers who released their own adventure games on their own web spaces too. Most of these games were made by one-person teams and they all range in terms of quality and length. There have been many professionally made games that are available for sale that was made using the AGS software, but I'm not going to be playing those. I'm going to be concentrating on the freely released games. Thankfully, the AGS games are archived and available at any time. The independently hosted games are going to be trickier to track down, I've managed to find a few that are being hosted on different mirrors but I fear that some may be lost to time. I'm going to start out with some of the more notable games that I remember from years ago as well as checking out more recent releases that look interesting. I'm also open to any suggestions from people as well. You can find a huge number of titles on the Adventure Game Studio Website and a fairly lengthy list of independent titles still being kept alive at Reloaded dot org. I was going to make a dedicated thread but this is something that I'm probably going to be doing once or twice a month.

I've been sitting on this recording for a short time now while I've been deciding on what to do with it. I might still start up a dedicated thread but right now, I feel like it's better to do something with this than to just let it fester.

First up: Apprentice (Deluxe)

quote:

For as long as he can remember, Mortimer Pibsworth sought wizard-hood. The obsession led to his apprenticeship, an exciting new beginning that melted into chores and household duties. When a nightmare started recurring, his spirits sunk like a lead wand in Willowbean Bay. After falling out of bed in his sleep, Mortimer faced an entirely different morning

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTnoWP97eg

The original game was released in 2003, was nominated for a boatload of AGS awards and it even won a few. The developers decided to work on the game some more and released a new version in 2005 with voice acting, improved graphics and a new mp3 soundtrack. Apprentice was originally planned as a trilogy and a sequel to the first game was released in 2004, a third game was in development but it was eventually cancelled.

If you want to play this game for yourself, you can find it on the official website or on the AGS website:
https://www.herculeaneffort.com/index.php?page=apprentice1
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/570-apprentice-1-deluxe/

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 18, 2021

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
Say, is it aright to post a prototype LP in this forumthread? Probably not. Just bumping this thing.

Might do a Neopets "flash" game or something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

nightelf_37 posted:

Say, is it aright to post a prototype LP in this forumthread? Probably not. Just bumping this thing.

Might do a Neopets "flash" game or something.

:ssh: This is the opposite of what we're telling you to do.

Edit: This is the casual thread for casual LP's. So to answer your question, yes.

Edit 2: If you're looking to start out with smaller LP's and build up, this is probably the best place to start for you. You don't need to declare that you're bumping a thread when you're asking a question.

Either LP a game or don't, saying you might LP something still comes across as an interest check. If you're looking to LP something and want advice in doing so then ask away in the Sand Castle thread. Continuous and vague intentions won't achieve anything.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 9, 2021

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yes, it is, but because it's you, everyone will laugh at you and continue calling you a piece of poo poo. you cannot obtain love or companionship by doing a let's play on something awful, nightelf_37. go home. also that's still a fuckin interest check dude, that's still an interest check which is still against the rules

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

We Have Metal Gear at Home! Let's Play Hundred Fires: Rising of the Red Star - Episode 1

So I was skimming the new releases on Steam and I decided to gamble 4 dollars on a MGS-inspired game set in 1950s Cuba. It's got everything you want, tactical stealth action, Mr. Telepathical Knight JFK, and bonkers cutscenes.

Video: The Whole Dang Game
Video: The Cutscene Reel

There's another video I'm in the middle of editing for the recently added 'Mission: Recuse Santa' that I'll post probably tomorrow-ish.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 26, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that certainly went places. Is it bad that I kinda want to see a sequel?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Back at it again, this time Montenegro has to stop El Che from killing Santa Claus?! Join us as we slog through copied/pasted rooms in hopes of saving chirstmas.

Video: Mission: Rescue Santa

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Urban Yeti! is a North American-exclusive action game released in 2002 for the Game Boy Advance by Cave + Barn Studios. Sold directly through mail and online orders through the developers, the game puts the player in the shoes of the titular Urban Yeti, a creature living in hiding amongst the humans of a bustling city, desperate for love and belonging. One day, while out on a stroll, he hears the call of a single female yeti, his chance to turn things around in life. Urban Yeti will do whatever it takes to prove he’s a suitable mate, and it’ll take all his cunning if he wants to find the girl of his dreams.

Cave + Barn was an odd developer, mostly known for their work on licensed titles. Their major original project before this, an FMV title called Duelin’ Firemen!, would never see the light of day, but displayed their interests as a game company in creating experimental and unconventional interactive experiences. Urban Yeti! would be the only original title the studio would release, but it spoke to their philosophy through its odd humor and eclectic gameplay. Urban Yeti!’s early GTA-style open world is really a hub for conflicting AIs to cause havoc while you navigate into awkward but charming minigames, which all help to push its strange story forward. The focus is definitely on its humor rather than truly coherent gameplay, but it finds a balance where the actual game is competent enough to enjoy.

I, ChorpSaway, and my friends TheJayOfSpade, Taoc and FutureFriend will be taking a journey through Urban Yeti! to marvel at what it is: a game unrestrained by things like marketability, that really speaks to a developer’s sense of expression.

If you’d like to know more about this game, I encourage you to check out this review from Bad Game Hall of Fame, which also does a deep dive into the history of Cave + Barn Studios and their other projects!

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 22, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope you're all recording your commentary on a blue yeti!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: FINAL UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Just as quickly as we started our journey, it's time to seal the deal! Our proficiency at the yeti discus tournament has caught the eye of a single female yeti, but it'll take more than physical prowess to prove ourselves a worthy mate. First we have to brave the dangers of public transport to reach the suburbs, and make ourselves presentable once we get there. Then, it's time to prove we can match the female yeti's entrepreneurial skills, as we get introduced to her home business! Will the Urban Yeti be able to prove himself a suitable mate, or will love die here in the middle of the neighborhood?

Thanks for watching!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OK, let's do this!

Star Ocean the Second Story was a game I loved as a teenager, and played to death. Sadly, as we had not much money, I played it on a used PSX using a very badly made bootleg (I think the print on one of the CDs was even slightly green, but it's been literally decades since then so I don't remember the details.) that I got for cheap in a video rental store.

The discs had been treated badly too, and where scratched enough the game tended to crash a lot. In the bonus dungeon near the end it got so bad I gave up.

But, time to finally finish this game for good! After a failed attempt at using my original (not the "original", those discs are long since dead) CDs for a German LP, I've decided to restart with the English-language European version and this time I'm determined to get through it!

Anyway, Star Ocean 2's beginning is rather slow, so this first video is roughly 1/2 half of the intro.

And I hosed up the audio balancing when recording, I try to do better next time.

:siren: Part 01: Lots of Talking :siren:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Libluini posted:

OK, let's do this!

Star Ocean the Second Story was a game I loved as a teenager, and played to death. Sadly, as we had not much money, I played it on a used PSX using a very badly made bootleg (I think the print on one of the CDs was even slightly green, but it's been literally decades since then so I don't remember the details.) that I got for cheap in a video rental store.

The discs had been treated badly too, and where scratched enough the game tended to crash a lot. In the bonus dungeon near the end it got so bad I gave up.

But, time to finally finish this game for good! After a failed attempt at using my original (not the "original", those discs are long since dead) CDs for a German LP, I've decided to restart with the English-language European version and this time I'm determined to get through it!

Anyway, Star Ocean 2's beginning is rather slow, so this first video is roughly 1/2 half of the intro.

And I hosed up the audio balancing when recording, I try to do better next time.

:siren: Part 01: Lots of Talking :siren:

SO2 hit me at the right time for me to love all the tedious insane grinding of a JRPG. A few years earlier I wouldn't have been organized enough mentally to play it like a robot, a few years later I had too many other things I wanted to do with my time to tolerate mashing hundreds of menu items thousands of times.

I don't think that is essential to SO2 but boy howdy it sure is how I played it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

SO2 hit me at the right time for me to love all the tedious insane grinding of a JRPG. A few years earlier I wouldn't have been organized enough mentally to play it like a robot, a few years later I had too many other things I wanted to do with my time to tolerate mashing hundreds of menu items thousands of times.

I don't think that is essential to SO2 but boy howdy it sure is how I played it.

I love SO2 mostly because there is so much dumb poo poo you can do to trick the game into giving you money, equipment or XP. That, and I love the art direction. If you look at plucky Rena, you can really believe that she can do martial arts.

Though if you look at her bio and then at the new art style of the remake, you can only weep or laugh, just zero understanding of her fiery personality. One of the reasons I'm only playing the original PSX-version.

Also recently I replaced the USB-hub my game pad was plugged in, since my cat liked to use the old one as a toy, her rubbing against it kept interrupting the connection, which made recording games rear end. The new one has a longer cable and I was able to hide it somewhere she doesn't want to look. The new thing is also not a cheap piece of poo poo, so better able to withstand cat attacks anyway.

Next week I can hopefully continue!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tearaway Unfolded
Tearaway Unfolded Chapter 5

I'm finally back, it's a bit late but it was a very long year.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Let's Check Out Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka

Madden may be the king of digital football, but in the early days of video games there was another personality who wanted to take him throne. Mike Ditka had a series of video games based around his likeness that may not have ever taken off in the same way that Madden did, but pushed for a more complicated and in-depth sports simulator. While not quite as advanced, Quarterback Attack is no less innovative, putting the player directly in the helmet of a new star quarterback and seeing if he can survive one big game of live-action FMV football madness! The amount of footage is staggering and helps to alleviate some of early FMV gaming's biggest shortcomings, while also being highly entertaining and responsive. Let's see if we have what it takes to stay in the big leagues as we dodge the defense, complete some passes, and try to keep Mike and the rest of the team happy with our performance!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ChorpSaway posted:

Let's Check Out Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka

Madden may be the king of digital football, but in the early days of video games there was another personality who wanted to take him throne. Mike Ditka had a series of video games based around his likeness that may not have ever taken off in the same way that Madden did, but pushed for a more complicated and in-depth sports simulator. While not quite as advanced, Quarterback Attack is no less innovative, putting the player directly in the helmet of a new star quarterback and seeing if he can survive one big game of live-action FMV football madness! The amount of footage is staggering and helps to alleviate some of early FMV gaming's biggest shortcomings, while also being highly entertaining and responsive. Let's see if we have what it takes to stay in the big leagues as we dodge the defense, complete some passes, and try to keep Mike and the rest of the team happy with our performance!

Holy poo poo, this looks like a way better game than I expected from the intro.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm glad someone mentioned Lifeline, because that's exactly what I was thinking when the topic of a microphone for audibles came up.

"Spike the ball, walk off the field, and dunk my head in the opposing team's Gatorade cooler? Okay."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

INFRA: Underground

I've got more packs of batteries for the flashlight.

It's really nicely put together for a mod even unpatched.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 29, 2022

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They never did release that DLC in the prison did they? Well maybe this will take it's spot for the time being.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh man, INFRA! I was just thinking about this game the other day. Very cool to see you come back to it!

The jumpscare is extremely rude.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good to see that Mark is still enough of a professional to document the violations of the people who drugged and kidnapped him. Though at a certain point there's probably enough pictures of mushrooms.

Hopefully he can not stamp over a pile of dead bodies killed by civic corruption this time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Hey, he apologised to all of those corpses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yes, more INFRA!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Not those goddamn batteries again

Edit: The original INFRA was a perfect example of a game I'm glad exists so I can watch someone else play it (because I would hate playing it myself)

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Valves! Steams! Trains!