Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s weird that doesn’t look all that bad when it’s done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The key to a good tiktok recipe is doing it the normal way that makes sense and editing it to look like you didn't. And also that would probably cook up just fine and taste pretty alright for a week night meal. It'a a pretty common way to make casserole spaghetti for church dinners.

e: But you should aim higher and make good baked spaghetti because it takes approximately 10% more effort.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXx8z0ERbQ

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the only part about that that's really, really, bad is the onions that just boil in the cooking liquid. have some respect for yourself

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to see his reaction to Americans drinking lattes after 11am. I'm sure he shits his pants.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

i genuinely don't understand how any new dishes were ever invented in italy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to see his reaction to Americans drinking lattes after 11am. I'm sure he shits his pants.
I mean that's literally the James Hoffman theory.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Riptor posted:

That's why there are 3,000 different types of pasta, each different shape allows you to make a new dish.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Most Italian cuisine is a clever ploy to get people to eat copious amounts of pasta, cheese, sauce, and meat. And you know what, it works.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Truly amazing that when the tomato was introduced, they were able to be like "gently caress yeah let's build our cuisine around this" rather than freaking out and begrudgingly including it in one dish

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Riptor posted:

Ah, here is the secret to this, for every complaint on internet videos about someone making Italian food Wrong you can find a region, town or old families in Italy that literally just do that. Within some reasonable limits anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To be fair, tomatoes are pretty amazing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On a kinda-relevant note, Kenji made a point about food authenticity in his latest video. Americans have an idea of authentic Chinese food that's hugely based on Cantonese restaurant-style food prepared by the earliest migrants. So there's this obsession with wok hei produced by high-butane gas cookers.

This isn't really the kind of food most Chinese people, even those in Hong Kong and South China now or back then, eat on a daily basis. Most homes don't have giant burners that restaurants have. Just thought it was an interesting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUlfcxSCnOU&t=1007s

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Truly amazing that when the tomato was introduced, they were able to be like "gently caress yeah let's build our cuisine around this" rather than freaking out and begrudgingly including it in one dish

Well they have neighbors who would win cook offs.

Really only the brits avoid using tomato outside of grilled for breakfast. loving Island

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The_Doctor posted:

it's noodles in water, that's how you make spagetti. Covering it in cheese to hide everything else just gives it a lasagna look.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Chef John's gone and done a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XMRWtsGgc

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I feel like Chef John ran out of real foods a while ago and now is just making more and more insane things. I still like the guy, but it's been a long time since he made something I want to cook.

mystes
May 31, 2006

you ate my cat posted:

I feel like Chef John ran out of real foods a while ago and now is just making more and more insane things. I still like the guy, but it's been a long time since he made something I want to cook.
Yeah I've been thinking the same thing for at least a few months now.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That's very on brand for today, March 545th 2020.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I can't stand Chef John...

There's something about the way he talks...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alex Guarnaschelli Can’t Stop Helping

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Budgie posted:

I can't stand Chef John...

There's something about the way he talks...

I find him soothing. I have a playlist of him, DDD, and Julia Child that I put on when I go bed. I'm not sure why I haven't been murdered by someone who lives with me by now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Julia Child's voice is a complete affectation right. Nobody on Earth talks like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Julia Child's voice is a complete affectation right. Nobody on Earth talks like that.

She was born into a lot of money, that’s what the rich sound like.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulVAMPwcCnc

Goddamn I gotta get me one of those.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Kinda. Her accent is the Trans-Atlantic Accent. Which was a non-regional American accent. It's something one would pick up at boarding schools, and then it was adopted by Hollywood. You hear it a lot in actors in the 30's and 40's. And it still pops up if you want to mark someone as a pretentious rear end. Like the Crane brothers. The rest of her voice came from elongated vocal cords. Basically the way you hear her speaking in videos is how she sounded in real life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But she sounds nothing like FDR or Katherine Hepburn or the lady on Downton Abbey. I guess I mean the cartoonish shrill thing she has.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Well they have neighbors who would win cook offs.

Really only the brits avoid using tomato outside of grilled for breakfast. loving Island

I mean we're a Germanic country. They're not huge in Germany or Scandinavia traditionally either.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i bet sohla sucks to work with, her harissa shrimp were hella bomb though

barkbell fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 30, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
What makes you say that? As in "hardass" or "perfectionist"?

Legitimately curious

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

But she sounds nothing like FDR or Katherine Hepburn or the lady on Downton Abbey. I guess I mean the cartoonish shrill thing she has.
It's the shrill sing song voice and the fact that she spoke French fluently. Her intonations are bizarre cause she's constantly throwing in French pronunciations.

I have a weird low-to-high pitched sing songy voice and I get compared to her all the time. It hurts my feelings, but I get it. It's impossible to control that if you've spoken that way your whole life.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i love julia child's voice y'all are crazy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just think of her as the old school Chef John.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
When you have a weird voice it's the first thing you hear about and the thing you're teased about the most :smith:

Motz is doing some crazy cool poo poo right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12_Be__kHM
I want one of those broilers real bad.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 30, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

When you have a weird voice it's the first thing you hear about and the thing you're teased about the most :smith:

Motz is doing some crazy cool poo poo right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12_Be__kHM
I want one of those broilers real bad.

That ep was cool but those burners are gonna melt/explode cause of all the lateral heat they weren't intended to take. I'm only like 45 minutes away from Louis Lunch I need to get my rear end down there sometime.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

barkbell posted:

i bet sohla sucks to work with, her harissa shrimp were hella bomb though

I also want to know what made you say this; it seems completely unwarranted to me.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gramps posted:

That ep was cool but those burners are gonna melt/explode cause of all the lateral heat they weren't intended to take. I'm only like 45 minutes away from Louis Lunch I need to get my rear end down there sometime.
I'm gonna be honest, the Louis Lunch burgers aren't great. They're neat for the history and stuff but they're exactly what they look like. Motz tried a fattier burger grind for a reason.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

fizzymercury posted:

I'm gonna be honest, the Louis Lunch burgers aren't great. They're neat for the history and stuff but they're exactly what they look like. Motz tried a fattier burger grind for a reason.

I haven't had them, but thank you for saying that. It's a fast food dish from 120 years ago. There's probably a reason everyone else has moved on.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

That's what I hear as well, but honestly it's the experience I'd be after. Checking out that weird old restaurant and seeing those goofy little ovens for myself is much more important than eating some burger. If I was going to New Haven just to eat I would go on an Apizza tour (AKA get pizza from 3 or 4 places on the same drat street).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

barkbell posted:

weird how sohla complains about her incompetent white guy coworker at ba then goes and works with one on babish

Two great posts by the user in this thread. They said it to get attention, based on their rapsheet.