Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Regular Ascians are residents of Amaurot/the other nameless city they mention/people from the Complete World, that a Convocation member (just Unsundered?) awoke and recruited right? And the mark of being one of those souls is the Echo? I know they use the constellation stones to awaken the Convocation shards (which would imply they each originally had 14 "lives" or one-ups or whatever?) but how do they recruit regular Ascians? Could Lahabrea have rolled up to Arenvald or Krile and did some magic nonsense and tossed them a mask and a robe?

I should new game plus ARR...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That particular Ascian wasn't even a convocation member, he had a black mask.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zutaten posted:

Regular Ascians are residents of Amaurot/the other nameless city they mention/people from the Complete World, that a Convocation member (just Unsundered?) awoke and recruited right? And the mark of being one of those souls is the Echo? I know they use the constellation stones to awaken the Convocation shards (which would imply they each originally had 14 "lives" or one-ups or whatever?) but how do they recruit regular Ascians? Could Lahabrea have rolled up to Arenvald or Krile and did some magic nonsense and tossed them a mask and a robe?

I should new game plus ARR...

From what I remember, the red-masked ones are convocation members (all of whom are sundered except for the big three). The black-masked ones like that guy (I was confused about that because the sigil makes it look red) are just randos that got ascended. Presumably they can do that for anyone since everyone is some kind of sundered ancient, but I'm not sure how far that goes. Since the beast tribes are found across worlds they're presumably sundered too, but I don't know if that means the ascians can do the same kind of spooky magic to them since they're a different species. Or maybe the beast tribes are sunderings of Amaroutine furries.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Not everyone is a sundered ancient, the echo is a portion of their original powers, and even the ancients had some unique personal qualities to those powers (Hades drinking up Lifestream juice to grow big etc). Current echo havers tend to have very fragmented powers, while the WoL has a relatively comprehensive set.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The black-maskers are basically just cultists. They are nobody important and do nothing important. There isn't even a possible way for them to have awakened memories of the days of Amaurot beyond 'saw a starshower', which we know first-hand doesn't actually do anything memory-wise.

Elidibus literally uses them as disposable jobbers to build up would-be heroes, which should tell you a lot about how important they're considered to the 'real' Ascians.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Pigbuster posted:

From the normal thread:

Given what we know now about the art of creation, this guy's just being absurdly overdramatic, right? Though considering he gets brought low by a level 14 WoL maybe he's just bad at his job.

With 5.3 it's implied that this guy was one of Elidibus' 'go find new adventurers, cause minor problems, and then lose to them on purpose to encourage their heroics' minons, because they were doing the exact same things.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plus, aren't even the scrub-tier Ascians at least partially immortal?
I thought the whole point of the one Summoner quest chains was that you needed to nuke them from orbit with your Bahamut in order to get them to stay down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the_steve posted:

Plus, aren't even the scrub-tier Ascians at least partially immortal?
I thought the whole point of the one Summoner quest chains was that you needed to nuke them from orbit with your Bahamut in order to get them to stay down.

They need dead bodies to jump into nearby instead of the live body trick lahabread used.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eopia posted:

With 5.3 it's implied that this guy was one of Elidibus' 'go find new adventurers, cause minor problems, and then lose to them on purpose to encourage their heroics' minons, because they were doing the exact same things.

Yeah, IMO, that Ascian is basically intentionally chewing the scenery there because he’s playing the role of inscrutable evil wizard while trying to create minor heroes for Elidibus.

[edit] Actually I guess it depends on whether the Ascian is intentionally speaking Eorzean to be understood or the Echo is letting us understand their Ancient language. They definitely didn't know we had they echo at this point, I'm pretty sure.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 28, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

hobbesmaster posted:

They need dead bodies to jump into nearby instead of the live body trick lahabread used.

Yeah the point of Summoner 60 was “let’s lure this guy to someplace he won’t have any bodies nearby to inhabit”. Nothing special about the method you used to kill him, iirc, it just had to be isolated.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like to think the minor ascians aren’t actually intentionally jobbing to the WoL and were genuinely trying their best. So the big ascians were more like “oh yeah, you can totally take them out, this is your moment! *snirk*”

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, IMO, that Ascian is basically intentionally chewing the scenery there because he’s playing the role of inscrutable evil wizard while trying to create minor heroes for Elidibus.

[edit] Actually I guess it depends on whether the Ascian is intentionally speaking Eorzean to be understood or the Echo is letting us understand their Ancient language. They definitely didn't know we had they echo at this point, I'm pretty sure.

Every Ascian has the echo, so they can be understood regardless if they want to be. Also that ascian in the intro was in no danger, no bodies around or no, they had their escape method dark crystal so they just fled in soul form after back to their in between dimensions meeting point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/leydowntheline/status/1431824107302051849?s=20

:catstare:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

What what whaaaaaaaaat!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This was corroborated by multiple users, but it seems to be normal now, so people are thinking it might just be when the moon is full.

https://twitter.com/leydowntheline/status/1431829071390928896?s=20

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

When is the next full moon!?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's maybe not a new thing?

I say maybe because this has an Ixal airship in the middle, and that might be what's causing it for this shot.
https://twitter.com/UmbraNex/status/1431981705884323842

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Onean posted:

It's maybe not a new thing?

I say maybe because this has an Ixal airship in the middle, and that might be what's causing it for this shot.
https://twitter.com/UmbraNex/status/1431981705884323842

Zoom in, the moons translucent and you can see the stars in the first pic, not so with the ixal war baloon

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, I know, I wasn't saying the airship was causing it in the first picture. Only in the second one is it there, and might be the reason for the darker spot in the middle.

Edit: Oh, for the translucence, I didn't notice that. I'm not too sure what that could mean considering we're 100% going there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's just the glow effect around the moon intensifying for whatever reason and making it look like that. I really think this is nothing

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The ixal going and accidentally making everyone think dalamud is happening again

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Darksword64/status/1431885016435343360

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

mocked by ilberd for mistakenly thinking the moon was hosed up

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

For some reason that framing makes it look like Ilberd is a youtube rantsona

Fits

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"You thought there was a shadow on the moon? And didn't check old screenshots? SLOPPEH!"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zomborgon posted:

For some reason that framing makes it look like Ilberd is a youtube rantsona

Fits

“Raubahn is a sell-out: Why every Ala Mhigan MUST join the Resistance” followed by “gently caress it. I’m done”

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Begemot posted:

"You thought there was a shadow on the moon? And didn't check old screenshots? SLOPPEH!"

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

it's like y'all didn't spent significant amount of time in 2014 staring at the moon to figure out Hunts or something

media tour is soon stop grasping at straws

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've been working through the 5.X weapon questline and it's so well done. Given Gaius' behavior and mannerisms in 2.0 and for him to be a sympathetic character going forward, they really had to show in no uncertain terms exactly why his might makes right philosophies can't work, and really forcing him to ruminate on it.

Granted I'm only post Emerald weapon right now but man, watching Gaius eat humble pie at every step along this process and him having to internalize how all of this is explicitly a failure of his worldview and just how little he knew about what was going on with the Empire at large has been pretty viscerally satisfying. He went from a character I was 100% sure was going to betray you the first possible moment it became convenient when he came back at the end of Stormblood to being someone I could legit get behind as being reformed and actually working to undo the harm he caused in the world.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Hoping Endwalker has Gaius confronting the undeniable truth behind the Empire's creations and how the man he served for years was an ascian leader who saw them all as expendable subhuman pawns. I just don't know if there will be much room for that kind of reflection once he sees what Zenos has done with the place. As for the WoL's best friend, it won't surprise me if we learn that he's another intentional abomination like Vauthry. Fandaniel definitely suspects that Emet had something to do with his abnormal dreams and I'd guess his monstrous strength too in spite of being sundered. The experiments Zenos performed on himself probably only awakend his latent or implanted potential instead of creating it outright.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Honestly I kind of hope that Gaius doesn't ever really take part in the Garlean storyline. It'd be the ultimate sign of him moving on. That he cares for Werlyt more than Garlemald.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Also the Garlean story itself is probably going to be about two levels in the back-end of the expansion that's also partly focusing on that whole 'now we end things by going to the loving moon' plot point, so I don't expect it to have enough oxygen to go around for Gaius' Big Heartbreak Moment where he learns the love of his life has been cheating on him the whole time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I think it's the perfect thing for a Tales from the End for the next rising or whatever, not something for the MSQ.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cleretic posted:

Also the Garlean story itself is probably going to be about two levels in the back-end of the expansion that's also partly focusing on that whole 'now we end things by going to the loving moon' plot point, so I don't expect it to have enough oxygen to go around for Gaius' Big Heartbreak Moment where he learns the love of his life has been cheating on him the whole time.

How dare you say such hurtful things about Valdeaulin.

Yeah, I imagine for better or worse, most of what's left of the Garlean empire once poo poo gets well underway in Endwaker will be a tempered death cult. There's not really any figure standing of any import left that hasn't been killed or turncoated. What will be left of them to fight will be just a bunch of faceless soldiers for you to mash on your way to turbo-murder Zenos and Fandaniel.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Every zone in the game is dotted with at least one if not more refuge area (even if Azys Lla's only has some automata orbs to keep you company) so tentatively I'm supposing there will be a Garlean refugee camp or two around the Garlemald zone, possibly with remnants of one of the Legions in it. It's a snowy place, maybe they're holed up in Narshe. (Putting it in that terms makes me a bit curious what the final unrevealed zone can have, though - I presume hummingwaysloporrits will serve for at least one moon zone.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hogama posted:

Every zone in the game is dotted with at least one if not more refuge area (even if Azys Lla's only has some automata orbs to keep you company) so tentatively I'm supposing there will be a Garlean refugee camp or two around the Garlemald zone, possibly with remnants of one of the Legions in it. It's a snowy place, maybe they're holed up in Narshe. (Putting it in that terms makes me a bit curious what the final unrevealed zone can have, though - I presume hummingwaysloporrits will serve for at least one moon zone.)

Well, you gotta have a place to put the aetheryte, right?

[Looking at Dravanian Hinterlands] Right?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
aetheryte machine broke

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Given how much territory the Empire has under its control, it's unlikely that Zenos will have caught all of the Imperial army in his net. I think they'll probably have a stretch of story where a bunch of Imperial remnants led by greedy bastards with delusions of grandeur are scuffling to determine who gets to be in charge, and then Gaius uses his reputation to lend legitimacy to Maxima and the few remaining Populares who are pushing to establish a new peaceful government. That'd establish Gaius as having turned his back on imperialist violence without needing the player to have gone through Sorrow of Werlyt.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
While it's questionable to take big story cues from the Benchmark, it does show us fighting alongside generic Garleans twice. Even without that I wouldn't be surprised if there's still untempered people we'll interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Given the game's general theme of 'racism is bad' and the fact that we apparently joined forces with all of the beast tribes at the end of Shadowbringers, I fully expect there to be at least some Garleans who are not tempered and we join forces with.