Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

K, so both MTB width. And you're still running the spacer with the new cassette?

I am now and I think that may have been the issue. No movement on the stand. Will take it out for a test ride later today. Another case closed. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"My buddy was gluing his tubulars so I asked him to do mine and he heated up the rim too much burning the glue off with his blowtorch and cracked it."

"He did what with a WHAT?" :psyduck:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

EvilJoven posted:

"My buddy was gluing his tubulars so I asked him to do mine and he heated up the rim too much burning the glue off with his blowtorch and cracked it."

"He did what with a WHAT?" :psyduck:

Yes? Obviously he did it wrong, but that's not a fundamentally bad technique, if done correctly.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

It should be illegal to put a phillips bolt on a bike that only has hex bolts.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 28, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It should be illegal to put a Phillips bolt

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The only worse crime is slotted screws.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

It should be illegal to put a Phillips bolt
Well actually....
A screw is anything that connects two parts by threading into the second part. Stem "bolts" are actually stem screws.
A bolt connects two parts by passing freely through both and fastening into a nut. Phillips reflector "screws" are technically bolts.
:goonsay:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eSporks posted:

Well actually....
A screw is anything that connects two parts by threading into the second part. Stem "bolts" are actually stem screws.
A bolt connects two parts by passing freely through both and fastening into a nut. Phillips reflector "screws" are technically bolts.
:goonsay:

I'm also this kind of rear end in a top hat that points these things out so I guess it was a matter of time until I got mine.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Why is it so hard to find a Shimano GRX RD-R400 rear derailleur in North America (amazon doesnt count)
:negative:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao some shop in Edmonton tried to buy out almost our complete stock of 12s SRAM chains and now it's also included in the pile of poo poo we won't sell to people because if we do we'll be turning away repair jobs because of lack of parts.

We already won't sell 8s cassettes and 7s freewheels for the same reason.

That's why.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Why is it so hard to find a Shimano GRX RD-R400 rear derailleur in North America (amazon doesnt count)
:negative:

I got one from Jenson back in May. I'd hit them, Nashbar, and Western Bike Works. They seem to consistently get in new stock and typically have dates when the item will return if out.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FogHelmut posted:

I got one from Jenson back in May. I'd hit them, Nashbar, and Western Bike Works. They seem to consistently get in new stock and typically have dates when the item will return if out.

Yeah i saw that in the handful of websites i browsed. also some dude is selling his for 50 but he is like 8 hour drive away so imma message him and see if he can mail it...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Safety Dance posted:

The only worse crime is slotted screws.

Or whatever the Avid BB7 uses for inside pad adjustment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I thought it wa a 3mm hex?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
It's torx for no good reason lol

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

SimonSays posted:

It's torx for no good reason lol

SRAM loves Torx, that's why. Torx caliper mount bolts. Torx stem bolts. Torx everything.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Torx rules, nerds.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

SRAM loves Torx, that's why. Torx caliper mount bolts. Torx stem bolts. Torx everything.

Excuse me I thought that we established that they are stem screws

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some of you have never had to use triple square and torx on the same project and frankly it shows.

e: Torx is used on brakes I'm convinced as a gatekeeping device to prevent people who aren't mechanically inclined enough to own a torx set from messing up their brakes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BeastPussy posted:

Torx rules, nerds.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Torx is the Apple of fasteners. Fine when it's working but oh boy are you hosed if something goes wrong.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

SRAM titanium torx bolts are made of cheese. I’m terrified whenever I have to touch them

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

SRAM titanium torx bolts are made of cheese. I’m terrified whenever I have to touch them
Non-stainless fasteners universally belong in the loving trash

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

:yeah:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

are there still companies selling $40 titanium seatpost bolt kits?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

oh hey i found the part i was looking for, nevermind...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have TI hub bolts on one BMX bike and they are such a pain in the rear end. I never tried real TI anti-seize but with grease on the washer face the TI washer and bolt face weld together and no matter how carefully you torque them on you have to put your full body weight into getting them off.

Just interacting with those 4 bolts put me off the idea of a TI frame forever. I'll take the extra 2 pounds and use steel.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

If SRAM ti screws are made of cheese, their stainless ones are made of velveeta.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I hope this is the appropriate thread to ask a few questions about a front end freshen up on my old Cannondale. The bike in question is an early 90s aluminum frame, one of the first with the big beer can sized downtube. Budget is as much free stuff as possible because my family is on hard times and this is going to be my main commuter and kid shuttle for a while. But I do want to have fun with the process and have a fun bike. My experience level is amateur builder. I have few bike building specific tools, but access to a good local co-op for stuff like headset presses etc. I'm selling my Orbea Mitis to fund this project and put food on the table.

I'm in bad need of a new headset, 1" threaded. My plan as of now is to get everything disassembled, find a new headset, and go to the co-op to reassemble with a new headset. The co-op occasionally has used stuff in pretty good condition, but I don't expect to find a threaded headset with bearings and races in great condition. If I do, great, but if not I'll have to buy new. So question 1: is a sealed bearing headset an upgrade worth the extra cost?

Additionally, I need a new stem, the current one is just too long. Quill stems are a dime a dozen, so finding a used shorter one probably won't take too much effort. But I stumbled across the converter stems, which would allow me to tinker with stem length over time. Same question, is this an upgrade worth the extra cost?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm in bad need of a new headset, 1" threaded. My plan as of now is to get everything disassembled, find a new headset, and go to the co-op to reassemble with a new headset. The co-op occasionally has used stuff in pretty good condition, but I don't expect to find a threaded headset with bearings and races in great condition. If I do, great, but if not I'll have to buy new. So question 1: is a sealed bearing headset an upgrade worth the extra cost?
I have a couple 1" TD headsets in my parts bin. You can have one for cost of shipping from Boston, if that's cost effective.

quote:

which would allow me to tinker with stem length over time. Same question, is this an upgrade worth the extra cost?

Absolutely is if you plan to experiment with your stem / bar position.
Most 25.4mm clamp stems won't let you swap off without removing bar tape, which is risking having to replace that, too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kimbo305 posted:

I have a couple 1" TD headsets in my parts bin. You can have one for cost of shipping from Boston, if that's cost effective.

Absolutely is if you plan to experiment with your stem / bar position.
Most 25.4mm clamp stems won't let you swap off without removing bar tape, which is risking having to replace that, too.

That's very generous of you, thanks. I'll check my stack height and get back to you via PMs.

I do have to replace my bar tape as well anyway. I've got a nice cx bar hanging in the garage that I want to swap back on as part of this whole thing.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Magura bleedport screws. Tiny torx is the easiest part. Screw is half plastic so when it breaks you end up with the metal half in the lever. Torque spec is ridiculous 0,5 nm which probably means somehow gently caress off in German.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hope this is the appropriate thread to ask a few questions about a front end freshen up on my old Cannondale. The bike in question is an early 90s aluminum frame, one of the first with the big beer can sized downtube. Budget is as much free stuff as possible because my family is on hard times and this is going to be my main commuter and kid shuttle for a while. But I do want to have fun with the process and have a fun bike. My experience level is amateur builder. I have few bike building specific tools, but access to a good local co-op for stuff like headset presses etc. I'm selling my Orbea Mitis to fund this project and put food on the table.

Additionally, I need a new stem, the current one is just too long. Quill stems are a dime a dozen, so finding a used shorter one probably won't take too much effort. But I stumbled across the converter stems, which would allow me to tinker with stem length over time. Same question, is this an upgrade worth the extra cost?

The converter stems work fine but are heavy.
Before you start spending money on this bike I gotta ask: have you given it a really thorough inspection? That era of Cannondale wasn't nicknamed Crack n Fail just because it was fun to say.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bicievino posted:

The converter stems work fine but are heavy.
Before you start spending money on this bike I gotta ask: have you given it a really thorough inspection? That era of Cannondale wasn't nicknamed Crack n Fail just because it was fun to say.

I haven't given it a thorough inspection per se recently, but I have owned it for the past 18 years or so, and my dad was the first owner. During my ownership, I've rebuilt it about 4 times and generally taken really good care of it. I'll tinker with something on it about once a year, ride it every other month or so, that sort of thing. I cleaned it up last night and swapped saddles out, checked the brakes, wheels, shifter, etc. So I'm pretty intimately familiar with it and there's no evidence I can see of frame cracks. Yeah, the headset could have used maintenance a while ago, but generally it's in about as good shape as you could ask for for a bike of its age. If something comes up during the headset removal when I can inspect the headtube inside and out, I'll reevaluate, but for now I feel confident in putting a little work and money into it.

edit: I'm pretty sure it's an ST500, don't know if those were one of the models prone to frame failure.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 31, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bought some Keo Blades and these fuckers require a T8 bit to swap out the blades, I love working on bikes

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Bought some Keo Blades and these fuckers require a T8 bit to swap out the blades, I love working on bikes

T8 as a concept makes me laugh at the thought of going to the hardware store for a driver.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, the headset could have used maintenance a while ago
If something comes up during the headset removal when I can inspect the headtube inside and out, I'll reevaluate, but for now I feel confident in putting a little work and money into it.

Hopefully there's no ovalization in the head tube, if the headset was loose and levering the front and back of the tube.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eSporks posted:

If SRAM ti screws are made of cheese, their stainless ones are made of velveeta.
because SRAM universally belongs in the loving trash.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

evil_bunnY posted:

because SRAM universally belongs in the loving trash.

I can’t throw Shimano in the trash until it ships in Feb 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How about Shimano's new (mostly) wireless set :lol: