Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

i have not, looking them up now. neat

right now i keep jasmine, basmati and calrose in stock

yeah, if you're thinkin of it as pan-asian then jasmine and basmati is reasonable, but korean peeps its short grain or nothing. peeps will add millet or make the 3, 5, 7-ingredient rice (3, 5, 7곡밥: 5 ingredients is glutinous rice, millet, adzuki bean, black bean, sorghum) but they wont consider basmati or jasmine properly korean

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
truman caprese might be an ok username

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, if you're thinkin of it as pan-asian then jasmine and basmati is reasonable, but korean peeps its short grain or nothing. peeps will add millet or make the 3, 5, 7-ingredient rice (3, 5, 7곡밥: 5 ingredients is glutinous rice, millet, adzuki bean, black bean, sorghum) but they wont consider basmati or jasmine properly korean

I feel like I need to join a rice forum and get good at this

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most grains in a rice mix ive seen was 20, but they were doin poo poo like countin proso millet and pearl millet separately...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
round here short grain brown rice is the hardest to find

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the rice hipsterdom that is possible is quite deep. can you find half-milled brown rice where you are? what about gaba rice, or sprouted rice? etc...

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i go to a mega huge asian market here so I bet I could find at least a few of those more exotic ones. What's a cool one to try?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try foxtail millet (조) and rice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tonight i made rice for the kids and it had jasmine, brown, black rice which makes the whole thing purple, some red lentils and some vege pasta spirals

just like grandma used to

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fish burger 🤤

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

drat that looks good

i took the day off sick and still feel average and I have to make dinner for the kids soon. I will go extremely path or least resistance 😩 gently caress im worthless lol

order some domino’s op, kids love it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whole country in lock down - no takeaways until
wedneaday 😢

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

truman caprese might be an ok username

bit of a stretch but i do quite like it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
truman compote

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stringent posted:

truman compote

in cold blood orange

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

this is tonight's caprese salad

the tomatoes and basil were on the vine 10 minutes before this photo was taken

wonderful summertime meal.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

President Beep posted:

in cold blood orange

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
any of y'all got good knives???

I've watched Cara Devine get citrus zest by cutting the rest of the citrus off from the back enough times that I thought I would try it. Turns out not one knife in my collection is capable of this maneuver and I'm thinking about buying better knives

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get a $5 dollar store knife to do this if and only if you sharpen and hone correctly. also sharpening is not honing. if you have no inclination to learn water stone sharpening what you want is a spyderco gizmo. honers are a commodity product

difference betw knoves is how long they hold edge. if you wanna do knife tricks carbon steel knife is best for that but they are a fuckin pain in the rear end to maintain

mystes
May 31, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

any of y'all got good knives???

I've watched Cara Devine get citrus zest by cutting the rest of the citrus off from the back enough times that I thought I would try it. Turns out not one knife in my collection is capable of this maneuver and I'm thinking about buying better knives
There's a whole thread for knives

Edit: oh never mind I thought this was somewhere else

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 31, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have good knives. i do not have expensive knives.

my knife block is currently:

10" chicago cutlery chef knife
cheap, forgettable bread knife i never use because only maniacs are still baking bread at home in august 2021
5" harbor freight ceramic paring knife
3" harbor freight ceramic paring knife
$20 chinese veg knife
My old Mora

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have almost all victorinox knives, they're cheap and good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mystes posted:

There's a whole thread for knives

Edit: oh never mind I thought this was somewhere else

The GWS knife thread is pretty good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
[australian accent]: noives

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I thought this was the GWS general questions thread for a minute

Victorinox knives are okay for the price (especially if you get them on sale) and want the cheapest tolerable knife but they're still extremely soft.

If you don't sharpen your knives it doesn't matter what you buy because they'll be dull, but if you sharpen your knives you're probably going to want something that can at least minimally hold an edge for more than one use. I have a 5 inch victorinox knife as a utility knife and it's okay for that but I think I would go crazy trying to use a bigger one for everything.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 31, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

cheap, forgettable bread knife i never use because only maniacs are still baking bread at home in august 2021

The only reason I even have a bread knife is that one of my roommates from college took a bunch of stuff from Jimmy John's when he quit. Lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as i said, if you wanna be doin knife tricks and poo poo w em you want a carbon steel knife and/or sharpen them weekly, but they are absolute little shits for maintenance

only thing harder is ceramic. however, the way you sharpen a ceramic knife is to get a new knife and you prolly dont wanna be doin that for the every-month pace it takes to be doin knife tricks

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 31, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i love my ceramics but if there's a bone or anything remotely sketchy in the way i definitely grab steel. you dont wanna yeet a roast cause you chipped the blade and can't find the missing bit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The only reason I even have a bread knife is that one of my roommates from college took a bunch of stuff from Jimmy John's when he quit. Lmao

lmao. i use my bread knife a lot on baked goods I buy like poorly cut bagels. also it can slice extremely thin tomato slices but internet chefs like to shame you for doing it that way

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bread knives are useful.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. a knife made out of bread?? no thank you.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what is next a soup sword?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate wait till you learn about fish knives

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
not to mention the poop knife

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

not to mention the poop knife
ah, the pittsburgh shiv

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

President Beep posted:

lol. a knife made out of bread??

hello

mystes
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

lol. a knife made out of bread?? no thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYKQc-MVIM

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oi! you got a loisence for that brid?!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as i said, if you wanna be doin knife tricks and poo poo w em you want a carbon steel knife and/or sharpen them weekly, but they are absolute little shits for maintenance

the only maintenance they need is being rinsed and wiped off before being put away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also mineral oil. also the wiping needs to be done in literal minutes if you cut acidic poo poo. also cant use knife block or knife blocky dealios. also patina and derusting if necessary.