Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

gohuskies posted:

The helicopter gunship also makes destroying the outposts a little too trivial in my opinion, if you just want to clean up the map it's the fastest way to do it but I never found it particularly fun or interesting after the first couple times.

In FC5 you can sit in a bush while your allies gun down everyone with an attack helicopter and bomber plane simultaneously. It counts as doing it undetected because the enemies never saw you specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I played FC5 I restricted myself to only silencing pistols and SMGs because in 3 and 4 I kept silencing sniper rifles and it just completely broke the game.

I’m glad they changed the EXP system for 5 though; because 3/4’s system made it so that if you didn’t ghost outposts you were leaving so much XP on the table you kind of had to silently snipe everyone. It was like +1100 XP for doing it undetected and the kills were worth like 30+ XP instead of 10. Just stupid.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well i just finished Killer 7,what a load of aggravating terrible bullshit wankery that was.

Awful gameplay,nonsensical story.

the music in the hallways before bosses is great though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Forcing the story on you is kind of annoying but I understand why they do it since the pacing can become nonsensical in the other games. If the first thing you do is clear all the outposts while avoiding the story until you absolutely have to engage with it, you end up with scenarios like FC3 where as far as you can tell you've completely cleared the island of any enemy presence but for story missions they're still all over the place and in control of everything.

Well then just lock or brickwall the outpost progressions behind the story beats. A hundred other games have managed this. Make it so you need a glider, a tool, a boat or whatever it is before you can break the game.

:shrug:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can fight them off for a minute or two but there's no real point. I've been playing through it again recently and at least for Jacob's region you'll get a warning saying a capture party is coming for you. Killed them as soon as they pulled up on an ATV, immediately got another warning saying another capture party is coming. Kill them as well, immediately triggers the cutscene of getting shot by a bliss arrow from nowhere and blacking out. I've had the cutscene trigger while flying planes and while locking myself in rooms with no windows, there's no way to avoid it.

Forcing the story on you is kind of annoying but I understand why they do it since the pacing can become nonsensical in the other games. If the first thing you do is clear all the outposts while avoiding the story until you absolutely have to engage with it, you end up with scenarios like FC3 where as far as you can tell you've completely cleared the island of any enemy presence but for story missions they're still all over the place and in control of everything.

As far as things dragging FC5 down specifically, the mission for recruiting Jess is some serious edgelord trash in terms of writing. Sorry I had to interrupt your story to kill off some cult members, please continue about being forced to drink piss and then being fed your own parents.

Absolutely.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I got Dynasty Warriors 8 because I was a big fan of the series starting back with 2.

When I launched the game I was surprised to see that they gave Lu Bu his own campaign. For those not very familiar with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story Lu Bu gets executed around a 1/10th of the way through the story. I figured the game probably had a ‘what-if’ story where Lu Bu survives and unites China under him.

I get to the fourth level and beat the enemy commander after killing over 700 of his troops. The screen fades to a cutscene which shows me being held by down two random grunts with sticks as the guy who I just beat decides to execute me.

It was such a rug pull I almost quit the game on the spot. I get that it follows the story, but beating a boss only to have him kill you in the next scene is disgusting no matter what.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

marshmallow creep posted:

Like if the kidnappings were things like "taken in a hostage exchange" or "you explored this ammo dump and they dropped a cage on you" or anything but "deus ex drug darts" I don't think people would complain about the transition as much. People didn't hate the set pieces that followed the kidnappings. They hated the kidnappings because they are bad, bad transitions that disrupt the game.

Also because they're followed by a cutscene of the stupid loving villains just flapping their gums at you, and you can't skip all of the cutscenes because some have short playable segments of you just pushing forward while they keep talking out of their asses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst thing about FC5 was the story where the apocalyptic cult leader who murders, drugs and enslaves the people of the valley is actually right about everything. The ending has the end of civilization that Joseph Seed was preparing for actually happen as nukes start flying.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

moosecow333 posted:

I got Dynasty Warriors 8 because I was a big fan of the series starting back with 2.

When I launched the game I was surprised to see that they gave Lu Bu his own campaign. For those not very familiar with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story Lu Bu gets executed around a 1/10th of the way through the story. I figured the game probably had a ‘what-if’ story where Lu Bu survives and unites China under him.

I get to the fourth level and beat the enemy commander after killing over 700 of his troops. The screen fades to a cutscene which shows me being held by down two random grunts with sticks as the guy who I just beat decides to execute me.

It was such a rug pull I almost quit the game on the spot. I get that it follows the story, but beating a boss only to have him kill you in the next scene is disgusting no matter what.

Every campaign has two routes, a historical one and a what-if route. Some are just so absurd to the point of being endearing (Wu) while others are just fun in general (Lu Bu). You need to complete the hidden secondary star objectives to unlock what-if missions.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm pleased that Ori And The Will Of The Wisps improves on the combat from the first game, but I'm annoyed that improving the combat led to them deciding to replace the first game's fast-paced sudden-death setpiece obstacle course "boss battles" with actual boss battles where you just hit a monster. I just finished it and thought "ooh maybe there'll be a final escape sequence" but no, you just fight the boss and it sucks rear end.

The story is also kind of a mark against the game, just because there's way more of it than there needs to be. Nothing is really added to a game like this by having side quests and encounters with little monkey characters. Was that bird guy the same bird guy each time? It doesn't matter, I don't even remember his name. The visuals are so strong in these games that they could really let them do the talking more than they do. The ending where Ori becomes a tree and all his friends are with him and they fade away one by one as he grows but the shapes of their faces are in his bark is probably the strongest story moment in the game, without needing to say a word

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

how the actual gently caress does GG Strive take so loving long to load the menu

it's not reading anything from a disc and the ps5 is supposed to have some kind of Magic Ultra HDD that makes literally everything else load close to instantly

what is it doing

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Making like 200 individual requests to a server in Japan

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

somepartsareme posted:

Making like 200 individual requests to a server in Japan

Seriously? Why?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zil posted:

Seriously? Why?

Have you heard the tale of Icarus?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I played FC5 I restricted myself to only silencing pistols and SMGs because in 3 and 4 I kept silencing sniper rifles and it just completely broke the game.

Regarding this. I just played through Tom Clancy's Wildlands and I only used the silenced 50 cal and some silenced assault rifle and a silenced pistol. I just didn't see any need to go loud at any point and whatever 0.5% damage boost wasn't worth it. This meant I didn't use most of the unique guns at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pingiivi posted:

Regarding this. I just played through Tom Clancy's Wildlands and I only used the silenced 50 cal and some silenced assault rifle and a silenced pistol. I just didn't see any need to go loud at any point and whatever 0.5% damage boost wasn't worth it. This meant I didn't use most of the unique guns at all.

The fact all headshots are instant kills makes that so drat weirdly balanced. I like the GR open world games but you really have to restrict yourself or it’s easy to just do every fight the same way.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Divinity: Original Sin 2: the game had bits of add-ons, with different options that could be enabled. Some are clearly there to make the game easier (start your round with more AP, sleeping after the fight revives your characters and restore all the special spell points aside from healing HP etc.), but they all otherwise help. One of them enables Pet Pal (you can talk to animals without taking a special skill) - but they all disable Trophies. I don't know if the skill points are so limited that taking Pet Pal is a massive drawback, but that's silly.

And if you already have the skill, it maxes the animal's disposition, but I just to talk to animals, game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

how the actual gently caress does GG Strive take so loving long to load the menu

it's not reading anything from a disc and the ps5 is supposed to have some kind of Magic Ultra HDD that makes literally everything else load close to instantly

what is it doing

This is legitimately the biggest factor that keeps me from playing it as often as I thought I would when buying it. Half the time I start it up it just sits at "connecting to server" for 5+ minutes and I end up going "never mind" and just start up something else instead.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well i just finished Killer 7,what a load of aggravating terrible bullshit wankery that was.

Awful gameplay,nonsensical story.

tch, killer7s story cannot be fully appreciated until you have read this completely bonkers 50,000 word plot analysis on GameFAQs

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gamecube/562551-killer7/faqs/38193

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Sep 1, 2021

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

This is legitimately the biggest factor that keeps me from playing it as often as I thought I would when buying it. Half the time I start it up it just sits at "connecting to server" for 5+ minutes and I end up going "never mind" and just start up something else instead.

There's a mod for the PC version that fixes this. Haven't tried it myself since I don't play the game, but I hear it's good.
https://github.com/optix2000/totsugeki

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zil posted:

Seriously? Why?

It's the classic 'it works on my machine' problem. The developers are Japanese; over there it takes ten seconds to boot up, because all the connections it needs to make are to Japanese servers that would never time out on them. Even if they're aware of the problem right now (and I believe they've mentioned it), they could never understand the severity, because... well, when they try it takes ten seconds.

In a normal world, this probably would've been solved by EVO forcing them to look at the situation connecting from another part of the world. It would've been similar to an instance in FFXIV's history, where a bug relating to high server latency with a particular job was only fixed once the director was at an overseas convention where someone could sit him down and show him the problem. However, with EVO (and all other major fighting game events, but EVO is The Big One) being online, they don't have the opportunity to see just how bad it is.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Pingiivi posted:

This is a bit more nuanced than it looks at first. Silencers lose a significant amount of damage (like 30-40%) until you get a specific perk (at level 24ish), at which point they no longer reduce damage, but still reduce penetration, so silencers reduce effectiveness against armoured enemies and vehicles. The 50cal sniper rifle with two Vehicle Damage perk levels will oneshot any helicopter in the game unsilenced. It takes three or four shots with a silencer.
Granted, basically none of this matters against people with the hidden stealth damage bonus. Guns do something like 4 times as much damage when you're "undetected".

Ghost mode is the best way to play the game, though. Only having one primary weapon and there being actual consequences for dying changes how a lot of situations are approached.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

what is it doing

Hunt showdown manages to take a minute to load a menu on an M.2 with read/write speeds measured in gigabytes per second, and as a bonus, the UI on the menu is comically bad too

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Maybe they make good on carrying this theme forward, but in Psychonauts 2 one of the first brains you enter winds up with a strong message about the importance of consent. Raz then disregards this and goes back to loving with people's brains without consent, and putting a strange brain into another person's body.

Maybe make a token effort to nod to the theme you JUST established?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

My understanding was that kidnappings were scripted and unavoidable so, no matter how you were playing or what you were doing, you were guaranteed to get snatched up in order to advance the plot. Is that not true?

Is that incorrect?

So, you are sort of incorrect, but not entirely? What I think a lot of people who hate it fail to mention is that the game has big ol’ progress bars on screen whenever you accomplish something important, and the “you will be kidnapped by the cult” points of those progress bars are clearly marked and fairly obvious.

The game doesn’t tell you that you’re going to be kidnapped every time, but it’s not like they happen totally without warning or at random.

Aphrodite posted:

Notably, the game they infamously said this about includes a major female NPC with combat and movement animations.

I’ve harped on this a little before, but I think they misspoke when they said the problem was just “animating” a female player character for Unity. AC:U had like 200 different modeled clothing pieces for the main character, which could be mix and matched basically at random, recolored, and they all showed up in multiplayer. It was all really impressively detailed and obviously took a shitload of work to put together. So the problem wasn’t just “animate a girl lol”, it was “re-rig 200+ clothing pieces and dozens of weapons for a whole second character and make sure none of the animations or physics are broken”. By the time it came up, Unity was basically in the bugfixing/polishing phase, way too late for that big of a task.

Even when they had both Evie and Jacob playable in the next game, their outfit choices were significantly simpler. They eventually pulled off tons of outfit pieces and selectable gender for Odyssey, but that obviously was something planned pretty much right from the getgo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Maybe they make good on carrying this theme forward, but in Psychonauts 2 one of the first brains you enter winds up with a strong message about the importance of consent. Raz then disregards this and goes back to loving with people's brains without consent, and putting a strange brain into another person's body.

Maybe make a token effort to nod to the theme you JUST established?

Doesnt Raz ask consent from both the brain and the person he's putting it in? Arguable I'd the guy can even give consent, and don't think either realized the effect it would have, but yeah.

Also one of the tenets of the Psychonauts is healing using their abilities, which I think is going on when he's in the brains. The one near the beginning of the game is definitely not about healing, just about getting what Raz and the interns want.

I do wish that Raz would make a nod to the fact that he is healing. Like in Bob's Bottles, you're getting the seeds but I would've liked Raz explaining why he thinks it's such a good idea to do so.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Morpheus posted:

Doesnt Raz ask consent from both the brain and the person he's putting it in? Arguable I'd the guy can even give consent, and don't think either realized the effect it would have, but yeah.

Also one of the tenets of the Psychonauts is healing using their abilities, which I think is going on when he's in the brains. The one near the beginning of the game is definitely not about healing, just about getting what Raz and the interns want.

I do wish that Raz would make a nod to the fact that he is healing. Like in Bob's Bottles, you're getting the seeds but I would've liked Raz explaining why he thinks it's such a good idea to do so.

When you sort all the emotional baggage in a mind raz makes a comment now about how it will surely help whoevers mind he’s in.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Dewgy posted:

So, you are sort of incorrect, but not entirely? What I think a lot of people who hate it fail to mention is that the game has big ol’ progress bars on screen whenever you accomplish something important, and the “you will be kidnapped by the cult” points of those progress bars are clearly marked and fairly obvious.

It’s a total flow breaker. The bar gets filled by doing side objectives and just playing the game and if I’m messing around doing side stuff I don’t want that to tick my progress over the threshold with no way to keep doing what I’m currently doing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

moosecow333 posted:

It’s a total flow breaker. The bar gets filled by doing side objectives and just playing the game and if I’m messing around doing side stuff I don’t want that to tick my progress over the threshold with no way to keep doing what I’m currently doing.

That part of it can be kind of annoying, yeah, but at least you know it’s coming.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Morpheus posted:

I'm usually pretty exhausted by the time I'm playing games, so I may have missed this though I'm not sure that Nick can really consent without a brain. The other instance that seemed iffy to me was the Ford stuff, since it seemed like he very much was not interested in putting together the broken mirror? He does ask permission from the Fords and gets it before entering their minds, though it's debatable how aware they are of what he's going to do. It just felt weird to lead with that "moral" and then not do more to make it apparent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just did the first balance of power mission in Far Cry 4. I hate the hunters, they are so annoying, and it's partially because predator animals are so annoying to fight because of how small a target they are, and they can sick them on you. Also sometimes a hawk will just grab you and go "Hi, say goodbye to a chunk of your health!" and then gently caress off again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dewgy posted:

The game doesn’t tell you that you’re going to be kidnapped every time, but it’s not like they happen totally without warning or at random.

I guess that makes a LITTLE more sense than what I've heard but it still seems to gently caress up the idea of an open world experience. Sounds like it makes anything you do to protect yourself or plan out irrelevant. And like I said it seems like there's a better way to do that sort of approach.

If they're going to have that mechanic, then just make it chapter based. Does the game give you the impression that you can fight against that progress bar at all? Because if so that still feels cheap. Or is it more of a "you're approaching the end of this level" thing? In which case, just do that.

I dunno. Glad I skipped on it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Part of the frustration of some of the kidnaps is they start with you just being regular attacked. They're pushing back against your success and at first you feel like you can fight back, and they're another challenge to overcome, and then you always get sniped a sleep dart, even if you're completely out of sight or behind cover. So there's this element that could be good (doing missions and activities results in a retaliation) and a fun challenge, but you always lose those encounters, and the reason why feels like bullshit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I'm usually pretty exhausted by the time I'm playing games, so I may have missed this though I'm not sure that Nick can really consent without a brain. The other instance that seemed iffy to me was the Ford stuff, since it seemed like he very much was not interested in putting together the broken mirror? He does ask permission from the Fords and gets it before entering their minds, though it's debatable how aware they are of what he's going to do. It just felt weird to lead with that "moral" and then not do more to make it apparent.

You also enter another characters mind without explicit consent, but it's because he's overstimulated by bees, and Raz just says something like "MISTER PERSON, I AM GOING TO ENTER YOUR MIND TO HELP YOU"

Then another where he kicks you out of his room, but his plant coaxes you back in and puts the door on his head itself

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pingiivi posted:

I've never quite understood what the point of the signature weapons are in Far Cry and also those games. Like half the fun is kitting out your own guns, but if you're not into that it takes a while to unlock them anyway so? And about 70% of the time they're some combination of useless/ugly/redundant and then 30% of the time they're game breakers.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just did the first balance of power mission in Far Cry 4. I hate the hunters, they are so annoying, and it's partially because predator animals are so annoying to fight because of how small a target they are, and they can sick them on you. Also sometimes a hawk will just grab you and go "Hi, say goodbye to a chunk of your health!" and then gently caress off again.

They really do suck. They directly counter like all of the fun Far Cry stuff I like to do - marking everything in a camp, sneaking around freely, and using animals to my advantage. Thankfully they inexplicably vanish completely from the game once you're past that phase of the plot, give or take.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The ending of horizon zero Dawn was kinda lame. Lame final boss - same enemy you’ve already fought half a dozen times. Ending was predictable and parts of it didn’t make sense:

like the perfectly preserved corpse of Elizabet Sobeck which has been lying outside for centuries and somehow wasn’t consumed by the machine plague that ate literally everything else

I loved the atmosphere, overall story and beautiful environments.

I hated the ending where it feels like the devs just quit and gave up, the lovely climbing mechanics and the fact that I would occasionally fall through the floor for no reason and have to reset the game.

Edit: also Aloy’s character is really solid despite her stupid name and it’s nice to see a flawed protagonist who’s flaw isn’t “promiscuous drunk” or “socially inept” which usually comprises most of AAA video game characters’ flaws.

The writing and non-verbal language really do a good job of expressing who she is and what she’s about (facial expressions say a lot in this game). She grew up hard and mean but when push comes to shove, she’ll go to bat for those who can’t stick up for themselves. She also has no problem shanking someone in the face who she deems unworthy. I like her no-nonsense snap decision making and it would be super nice if her rash black-and-white worldview gets her in trouble.

I’ll definitely play the sequel.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Sep 1, 2021

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Re: consent in Psychonauts 2, the bit about Raz being admonished is where he manually re-wires a person's brain by loving around with the basic assumptions they have [spoiler] whereas subsequently [spoiler] all he does is remove the externally-caused problems and allow them to heal naturally it feels like there's an important difference

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Part of the frustration of some of the kidnaps is they start with you just being regular attacked. They're pushing back against your success and at first you feel like you can fight back, and they're another challenge to overcome, and then you always get sniped a sleep dart, even if you're completely out of sight or behind cover. So there's this element that could be good (doing missions and activities results in a retaliation) and a fun challenge, but you always lose those encounters, and the reason why feels like bullshit.

That's how I've heard it described and, yeah, that does sound like bullshit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dewgy posted:

I’ve harped on this a little before, but I think they misspoke when they said the problem was just “animating” a female player character for Unity. AC:U had like 200 different modeled clothing pieces for the main character, which could be mix and matched basically at random, recolored, and they all showed up in multiplayer. It was all really impressively detailed and obviously took a shitload of work to put together. So the problem wasn’t just “animate a girl lol”, it was “re-rig 200+ clothing pieces and dozens of weapons for a whole second character and make sure none of the animations or physics are broken”. By the time it came up, Unity was basically in the bugfixing/polishing phase, way too late for that big of a task.

Even when they had both Evie and Jacob playable in the next game, their outfit choices were significantly simpler. They eventually pulled off tons of outfit pieces and selectable gender for Odyssey, but that obviously was something planned pretty much right from the getgo.

The problem was that the guy in charge of greenlighting new games did not want anything not starring a straight white alpha male and he was pretty open about it up until he was outed as a sex pest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

And that it happens multiple times, the same way each time. If it happened once for story purposes then maybe you could think, there must have been some enemy guy I didn't see who tagged me, okay, this is believable. When it's multiple times it's "oh not this again."