Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

I think I can make it work. Anyone wanna lend me around $2mil? I figure we can quadruple that, minimum, before anyone finds out it's a horrible idea.

Welcome to venture capitalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I can’t believe that Lincoln turned down the King of Siam’s offer of elephants.

That would have been interesting.
Gen. Sherman: "Mr. President, with these 25 war elephants, I can easily take Atlanta in a week."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Post poste posted:

Welcome to venture capitalism!

Ain't that complicated. I am the Florida Man. You could be too, for a small, recurring donation to our enterprise.

We sell the disease, and the cure! One-stop, non-stop, even if it flops.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

While the message is none the less important, I feel like this is staged.
Look at the size of the piece of wheel left on the grinder, and look at the piece stuck in the face shield.
The piece on the grinder looks like a 4 inch disk on a 7 inch grinder, while the piece stuck in the shield looks like a 7 inch dick.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

By popular demand posted:

There was an actual debate on importing hippos to the us. For livestock.

at one point there was the option to let cheetahs loose in texas or something. Because there's no cheetah equivalent that's going for the insanely fast antelopes, they went extinct. Cheetahs are basically a kind of dog tho.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ARTPUP posted:

That would have been interesting.
Gen. Sherman: "Mr. President, with these 25 war elephants, I can easily take Atlanta in a week."

"Look, General Burnside! An oliphaunt!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

The piece on the grinder looks like a 4 inch disk on a 7 inch grinder, while the piece stuck in the shield looks like a 7 inch dick.

zoom. rotate sector 14. zoom. stop. enhance.

by god i think you're right!

it does look like a 7 inch dick!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

at one point there was the option to let cheetahs loose in texas or something. Because there's no cheetah equivalent that's going for the insanely fast antelopes, they went extinct. Cheetahs are basically a kind of dog tho.

Before the hogs took over, that woulda been a good option. I have a feeling they'd destroy the kittens too quickly to be of use now.

God, can you imagine cheetah bayin' hog?

"Rawr, cough. Nah, ain't gonna gently caress with you, just stay there. Not like you can outrun me anyways. Oh poo poo, here come the dogs! Sorry about your lu-uuck. Bye now!"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I think there was a push to repopulate the southwest with elephants as if that would replace niche left by the mammoths going extinct.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

not Pablo Neruda posted:

Era el crepúsculo de la hipopótamo…

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/farl__/status/1433986317298380800?s=21

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

You got a source for this because that sounds like some massively made up bullshit. The American antelope is a different species who already has natural predators and in Texas is the focus of restoration work after facing massive die offs several years back.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sagebrush posted:

zoom. rotate sector 14. zoom. stop. enhance.

by god i think you're right!

it does look like a 7 inch dick!

Huh. I've been telling everyone that's 6.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

piL posted:

Huh. I've been telling everyone that's 6.

Would you say it's very unsettling?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Atticus_1354 posted:

You got a source for this because that sounds like some massively made up bullshit. The American antelope is a different species who already has natural predators and in Texas is the focus of restoration work after facing massive die offs several years back.

Yeah I had it in a book that was talking about the "rewilding" movement, I'll see if i can find it. The basic concept of the book was that it was inherently arbitrary, because you'd have to figure out how far to try and turn back the clock.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I think there was a push to repopulate the southwest with elephants as if that would replace niche left by the mammoths going extinct.

This was also discussed in it. Like do you try and restore ecosystems to 1400CE, or do you try to restore them to 140,000BCE? Why?

The other part was that it would probably be a good idea to you know take care of biosphere.

They were for sure talking about introducing cheetahs because the cheetah equivalent of north america was extinct, but some prey animal or other that was adapted for high speeds like that was still around, and the existing cheetah was closely related to the extinct one. I might be wrong about if it was an antelope or not.

e: in https://www.nature.com/articles/436913a there's a guy talking about releasing cheetahs and elephants

quote:

n a paper published in the August 17 issue of Nature, Josh Donlon, a graduate student in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, at Cornell University, is proposing a program under which wild African animals such as lions, elephants and cheetahs could be introduced to the Great Plains of the United States, which includes part of Minnesota.

These animals would "replace" the large carnivores and herbivores that disappeared from North America during the Pleistocene era, about 13,000 years ago. During the Pleistocene many animals that we associate with other continents were present in North America. These include the now extinct American cheetah, feral horses, Bactrian camels, lions and Asian and African elephants.

Donlan argues that this plan, or "re-wilding", is an alternative conservation strategy for the twenty-first century, that serves not to just manage extinction, but to actively restore natural processes and to potentially reset the environmental balance.

A pilot study will test the re-wilding notion by releasing the endangered Bolson tortoise on a private ranch in New Mexico. The tortoise, which can weigh up to 100 pounds and once thrived in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Mexico, now only lives in a small area of northern Mexico.

The book was about guys like this but also about the basis for the movement in general and a lot of other stuff.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 4, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a dude trying to do this in Siberia, as well (in advance of cloned mammoths, is the idea (since they only died out 3600 loving years ago :psypop:))

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

Thanks, past me.

You tried.
Fake. No fingerprint marks in the "blood", just parrallel brush strokes. Looks like watercolour paints.

My qualifications: I am unable to resist reaching for shiny things.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maybe we should start with A) continuing to reintroduce wolves and B) letting them loose on the people who kill the reintroduced wolves

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/idxbP8m.mp4

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Woah

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah - it has a real

vibe to it.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

lmfbo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah I had it in a book that was talking about the "rewilding" movement, I'll see if i can find it. The basic concept of the book was that it was inherently arbitrary, because you'd have to figure out how far to try and turn back the clock.

You just introduce all the animals everywhere and let them duke it out in the thunderdome.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HiG0AUr.mp4

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Re: OSHA IV: Surely all those rafts aren’t necessary?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like the rafter is up to the waters now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After the Titanic sank, people asked "why not just make a boat out of the safety rafts." Well, they did.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

madeintaipei posted:

$50k for catch and release of a single animal?! gently caress, I can do that all day. I could say I did that all day, at least.

Still gonna need the tank. Might need more than one.

Couple of tank transporters off the US Gov, pair of tanks from the Czechs, maybe a light heli or two from the same folks. I think I can make it work. Anyone wanna lend me around $2mil? I figure we can quadruple that, minimum, before anyone finds out it's a horrible idea.
Man, that sounds like a lot of money for some military vehicles. I've got a plan to get you some poo poo for free, but I'm gonna be honest, it's gonna take about 20 years.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
How treasonous would it be to purchase vehicles from the Taliban?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Frank Dillinger posted:

don't transact with sanctioned entities

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Frank Dillinger posted:

If you're Blackwater or some other PMC, probably business as usual.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The rewilding movement is the dumbest idea. Their ideas are all based on wanting a time machine and ignorance of actual ecological systems that exist now.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Do you want to go whitewater rafting, but absolutely hate getting wet? We have a solution for you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Frank Dillinger posted:

You need to go through one of the banks that's allowed to launder money and deal with sanctioned groups.

By allowed, I man they've paid enough bribes to only be fined irrelevant amounts when they get caught.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

jetz0r posted:

You need to go through one of the banks that's allowed to launder money and deal with sanctioned groups.

By allowed, I man they've paid enough bribes to only be fined irrelevant amounts when they get caught.

So... HSBC?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7HtxH2xMk0

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/qblockz/status/1433224910676049924?s=19

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

But did he feel the pea?

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Some chiropractors do more than just push horst paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Or Deutsche Bank.