Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A particularly egregious example here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh Christ yeah

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I recall the only really worthwhile short in that is the Tex Tinstar segments

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
take a look at ralph baaaaakshi punching out mancuso
oh boy, look at those cavemen go
it's the horniest show
is there life in vegas?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

my life's mission is to make cool world brad pitt's single most famous role

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Perepelki, did you see Dan Olson's hour long video essay about the Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie? I'm pretty curious what a die had Bakshi fan would think of it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Wittgen posted:

Perepelki, did you see Dan Olson's hour long video essay about the Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie? I'm pretty curious what a die had Bakshi fan would think of it.

Video for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr_rb_pitHk

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

nooo don't make me watch a video and listen to some guy's voice

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really enjoyed the Witcher Nightmare of the Wolf animated movie on Netflix. I tried to watch the tv series but even though I know how much effort was put into the vfx and visual design, it just can’t stand up next to mega budget fantasy. Whereas animation allows them to make the Witcher world feel real, the action choreography and effects is astounding, and the script is tight. It did a lot of things I didnt expect like having an elderly female love interest and not having the Witcher and the mage lady bond much on their quest together. She continues to despise him despite him saving her in battle, which in most films would be the turning point where she’d then try to help him against the rabid anti-Witcher sentiments she’d earlier stoked.

It’s also interesting that it’s pretty much an entirely Korean production. It’s not like those DC animated movies where you can almost feel the bare minimum being done to get between drawings sent from storyboard and preproduction artists in California. From the director on down everybody working on this project was at Studio Mir and there’s a tremendous amount of energy in the motion and flourishes in the animation that are fun to pick up on. The one thing I felt didn’t always fit was the music, which was overly melodramatic in parts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched White Snake last night, after having seen the trailer for the sequel. Was alright, but I feel like I would have appreciated it more if I knew anything about the myth/legend being told lol. It's a very pretty movie though, which some actually great action design.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw Luca finally, it was aight, mid tier pixar for me. The best thing about it was the colors throughout, it really was gorgeous.

The mouths are soooo offputting though, between:
- the majority of them being featureless circles that move around the face revealing stationary teeth behind them
- that one mean kid's mouth being a really distinctive fish-mouth shape with ugly little moustache hairs on it

aaaaaa

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Aww the Aardman mouths are great!

I will say I see a lot of lukewarm first watches of Luca. I was the exact same way.. thought it was middling. But upon several rewatches I just really love it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loved the way the mouths looked, and the style of the movie just felt so fresh compared to Pixar's usual stuff. Like honestly Luca is one of the best looking Pixar movies so far to me. I was happy to see that the Turning Red is gonna have a similar style

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm really excited for Turning Red, the trailer was perfect. I hope they use Backstreet Boys in the film itself

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

I'm really excited for Turning Red, the trailer was perfect. I hope they use Backstreet Boys in the film itself

:hmmyes:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

Hed, your new avatar is super cute! I hope you get to keep it a while.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

Hed, your new avatar is super cute! I hope you get to keep it a while.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

I saw Luca finally, it was aight, mid tier pixar for me. The best thing about it was the colors throughout, it really was gorgeous.

The mouths are soooo offputting though, between:
- the majority of them being featureless circles that move around the face revealing stationary teeth behind them
- that one mean kid's mouth being a really distinctive fish-mouth shape with ugly little moustache hairs on it

aaaaaa

Speaking of Luca I've decided I really want a Luca 2D animated series (gently caress TV-tier CGI it looks like rear end). However, instead of picking up where the movie left off I want it to be a complete reboot where they do a bunch of the stuff they had planned in the deleted scenes (Giulia discovers their secret early on, The fish people have an above part of the island that people know about, the kids actually try to work at a Vespa factory, etc) but with the current character designs because they are much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-8dCcblBAY

Yes that includes Ciccio being part of the main group for no God damned reason. The confusion most people would have at this amuses me greatly.

Also make Luca and Alberto non-metaphorically gay now. Do it you cowards. :argh:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 8, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm reading LOTR and am finding the jackson adaptations...feel dumber. Just from clips and so on TV I have seen in years. Bakshi is at least getting the range of colors the text depicts. Some of the stuff, like when the gang is in Lothlorien, could benefit from being able to depict the elves with a distinct stylistic difference (they are cubist?) I think a new animated Return of the King could be cool. How's this poo poo: Draw frodo gradually more like gollum until the end. Only in cartoons baby!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Jack Black could have played frodo, he could have played bilbo, he could have played pippin...Actually yes, Pippin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He did play a hobbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uztj3vp-RI

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

if gandalf is not visibly deranged and dangerous, it's not lotr

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

my favourite inexplicable thing about lord of the krym is that the elves are just... mundane humans. they don't even have ears! the hobbits have pointy ears and the elves don't! they look more human than the humans do!

the exception to that last point being legolas, who does not look mundane because he's a shapeshifting humanoid blob of ectoplasm with an attitude

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

you could probably tease out a lot of interesting things about the different adaptations of lotr and what the film-makers were focused on. ppj was all about the elves and the dwarves, bakshi was more focused on the hobbits and the natural beauty of the world itself. ppj's middle earth is an incredible achievement, but that's because new zealand does most of the work for him. bakshi and his team had to make the whole thing up out of their feverish imaginations, and the result is stunning, especially the totally fantasised parts like bag end and the mines of moria that ppj ended up outright stealing for his own work. it's even more interesting because it's such a departure from the grimy cityscapes that all bakshi's other works are set in.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i would give anything to be able to have seen back-stage on bakshi's productions (any of them, including the "bad" ones) when he was getting the backgrounds and storyboarding done. the character animations always seem to be the problem, all the layouts and the scenery are stunning in every single film, and he had the same group of people he was working with the whole time. i'm aware i'm looking at a series of drawings, and bakshi's involvement in the drawings is mysterious, so most of the perfection i see is the actual work of johnny vita, louise zingarelli, ian miller, barry e jackson, brenda banks, and/or a few others. but bakshi's solo work indicates a grasp of colour and form that's kind of extra-terrestrial, so it's clear that nothing would have transpired without him. what exactly did he do beside smoke weed and yell? the world will never know

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rankin Bass with a Real Budget would have been great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

cool world is, completely by accident, a work about bakshi and his entire team throwing their hands up at everything circa 1992 and saying "i don't know, what the gently caress". its chaos makes it completely exhausting to watch, which in turn makes it unenjoyable as a film experience. but as an object of modern art, everything about it is magnificent.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

The United States posted:

Rankin Bass with a Real Budget would have been great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo
i still haven't watched rankin bass hobbit and people have been recommending it since forever, so maybe i should do that today

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

my favourite inexplicable thing about lord of the krym is that the elves are just... mundane humans. they don't even have ears! the hobbits have pointy ears and the elves don't! they look more human than the humans do!

the exception to that last point being legolas, who does not look mundane because he's a shapeshifting humanoid blob of ectoplasm with an attitude

She defenitely does have big cartoon eyes, moreso than the human cast, which is accurate to the text and media.

RE his films, God only knows. Who knows if they do

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

perepelki posted:

i still haven't watched rankin bass hobbit and people have been recommending it since forever, so maybe i should do that today
Rankin Bass Gollum is my favorite fantasy creature design

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 9, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

perepelki posted:

Rankin Bass Hobbit + Bakshi LOTR + Rankin Bass ROTK form a full and weirdly complete trilogy that takes up less time than just the first two PJ Hobbit movies.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

lmao i'd never seen their gollum before, that is incredible

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

perepelki posted:

lmao i'd never seen their gollum before, that is incredible
PJ Gollum is a pitiable creature twisted and pathetic.

RB Gollum is a dude that spent so much time in a cave with his trifle that he literally evolved into a wretched creature of darkness shunned by the light.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Honestly, his voice acting might be even better than his character design; his howls of rage when he realizes that filthy Baggins has stolen his birthday present are absolutely sublime.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hissing Cat Smaug is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17kvIcRtMhM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i instinctively like that gollum for some reason. i would trust him. i think he reminds me of some kind of miyazaki marshland sprite

perepelki fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 9, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly, I'd love to hang out with this dude. He has powerful "Muppet energy" and I'm just naturally drawn to that.

perepelki posted:

i instinctively like that gollum for some reason. i would trust him. i think he reminds me of some kind of miyazaki marshland sprite

Same, I would follow that adorable little guy into the queen spider's lair without a second thought.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, the Miyazaki comparisons aren't unwarranted - Rankin-Bass contracted out The Hobbit to the same studio that made The Last Unicorn, Topcraft. Topcraft also did the animation for Nausicaa and basically became a big portion of Ghibli's founding staff after Topcraft dissolved.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

This dude looks like he wants me to find the lord vessel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Smaug always came off as a little too Firekitty to me. Just a weird mix of western and eastern dragon types. Though I loved his searchlight eyes.

Ooh that reminds me that the Battle of 5 Armies looks crazy and almost comedic in that version.