Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

you ate my cat posted:

I feel like Chef John ran out of real foods a while ago and now is just making more and more insane things. I still like the guy, but it's been a long time since he made something I want to cook.

It's also pretty obvious he's totally just winging recipes and recording them while he figures them out, since some of them are clearly culinary abominations by the end that probably don't work that great in real life. His savory cheesecake was particularly off-putting to me for some reason.

I still like his videos, since he's a funny guy and can definitely cook, but I don't really want to make any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

It's also pretty obvious he's totally just winging recipes and recording them while he figures them out, since some of them are clearly culinary abominations by the end that probably don't work that great in real life. His savory cheesecake was particularly off-putting to me for some reason.

I still like his videos, since he's a funny guy and can definitely cook, but I don't really want to make any of them.

I picked up on that as well, especially when he admitted in a recent-ish video that it was only his second time making the recipe. Maybe that’s how he always does it, but his recent recipes haven’t been that appealing.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
His last video was just a recipe for a watery frozen margarita. He's beyond not hiding it.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
I made a savory cheesecake once (sundried tomato and basil, iirc) and although objectively it tasted pretty good, nobody could reconcile savory + cheesecake and after a few semi-polite nibbles, most of it went in the trash.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I once hickory smoked a cheesecake.
At first it tasted a cheesecake, then this flavor bloomed with each chew.
Lo and behold, it now tasted like hotdog.

Hotdog Cheesecake was certainly..... something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

By the people who brought you Gunpowder (Tea) Milkshake

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Palace Cafe in New Orleans does a crabmeat cheesecake, and it’s amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

toplitzin posted:

I once hickory smoked a cheesecake.
At first it tasted a cheesecake, then this flavor bloomed with each chew.
Lo and behold, it now tasted like hotdog.

Buy a big thing of brie or camembert and smoke that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the algorithm threw this at me last night, and while i'm skeptical about the yolks coming out the way they're shown with the cooking times, i'm definitely gonna give a couple of these a shot for the kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm46WHxXPSM

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stringent posted:

the algorithm threw this at me last night, and while i'm skeptical about the yolks coming out the way they're shown with the cooking times, i'm definitely gonna give a couple of these a shot for the kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm46WHxXPSM
This might be legit but stylistically it looks a lot like one of the life hack / cooking hack type YouTube channels where all the content is faked.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mystes posted:

This might be legit but stylistically it looks a lot like one of the life hack / cooking hack type YouTube channels where all the content is faked.

entirely possible even likely, but i gotta give it a shot lol

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

mystes posted:

The runny yolks would pretty much have to be faked, as I can't see the twice baked bacon potato one's yolk still being runny after being baked long enough for the bacon to cook. Maybe the hot dog one, since hot dogs don't really need to be cooked.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It actually looks like that video is the same as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skiToTqjvLg which is from one of the channels that people have specifically called out as being fake (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAEC4jLFqA)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sekhmnet posted:

The runny yolks would pretty much have to be faked, as I can't see the twice baked bacon potato one's yolk still being runny after being baked long enough for the bacon to cook. Maybe the hot dog one, since hot dogs don't really need to be cooked.

no doubt, but i think i can probably do it just adding the egg later, the kids will love it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i like the baked potato one where you can clearly see the yolk dry out in the oven and then cut to a fresh one that was obviously swapped out, they didn't even try to hide it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The deep fried deviled egg looked pretty good. A lot of work though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Buddy V Duff was rigged. I said it before and I will say it forever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

you ate my cat posted:

I feel like Chef John ran out of real foods a while ago and now is just making more and more insane things. I still like the guy, but it's been a long time since he made something I want to cook.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDeF1Wb51A

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I was just coming here to post about that. Did he start doing a lot more drugs after he moved or something?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It must be kind of dispiriting to be Chef John, toiling in the content mines for thousands of recipes, and then a bunch of randos get similar followings overnight after a viral french fry recipe or whatever.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Isn't he a millionaire now?

Unless he stupidly signed some dumb poo poo contract ala all gas no brakes

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

chef john ftw. i'd rather get this a million times over before i see another loving 'how to make a smash burger' vid

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This pleasant lady's salmon recipe is super easy and I've made it a dozen times now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUAUF8a9plk

I usually just roast some vegetables instead of the citrus salad.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Borsche69 posted:

chef john ftw. i'd rather get this a million times over before i see another loving 'how to make a smash burger' vid

:same:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

This pleasant lady's salmon recipe is super easy and I've made it a dozen times now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUAUF8a9plk

I usually just roast some vegetables instead of the citrus salad.
Every single thing she says is a question? My gosh that drove me insane? That salmon does look good as hell though? I wouldn't have thought of dill and ginger together?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

droll posted:

Isn't he a millionaire now?

Unless he stupidly signed some dumb poo poo contract ala all gas no brakes

What happened with all gas no brakes? Was just getting into some of it and it seems like he stopped making content.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The Midniter posted:

What happened with all gas no brakes? Was just getting into some of it and it seems like he stopped making content.

They signed a contract in the beginning giving ownership to some other entity. All the patreon and youtube money was no longer going to them so they 'ended' it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Midniter posted:

This is his new channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-AQKm7HUNMmxjdS371MSwg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh boy the Joshua Weissman cookbook is coming

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:chloe:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't really have much beef with his actual cooking, his recipes are usually solid enough.

He is a lot for sure, but I can get my 8 year old cooking with me because he finds his videos hilarious.

also big early jamie oliver cookbook vibes where every second page is a 2 page spread of how cool the author is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

enki42 posted:

He is a lot for sure, but I can get my 8 year old cooking with me because he finds his videos hilarious.
Lol this is the best dunk on Joshua Weissman

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mm yes, I like my cookbooks needlessly confrontational.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Yeah his recipes are solid (though sometimes absurdly expensive/time consuming) but he "memes" super hard, and like it works for him, he's gotten millions of subscribers since he started doing it (with the help of that Babish bump obviously) but it is annoying.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Why does every modern cookbook have a thick white border around a picture for the cover? Is it trying to mimic instagram or a polaroid?

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3Y_9Y74L0

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 14, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think this is the only clickhole video I've seen that's like legitimately funny in its execution (rather than just the idea being vaguely amusing).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mystes posted:

I think this is the only clickhole video I've seen that's like legitimately funny in its execution (rather than just the idea being vaguely amusing).

The execution of the Gatorade one is flawless.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
With the Joshua Weissman cookbook you at least won't have to hear him talk and watch him mug at the camera, so there's that at least.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Shuddering at the idea that I have to be exposed to "papa no kiss" in print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

prayer group posted:

With the Joshua Weissman cookbook you at least won't have to hear him talk and watch him mug at the camera, so there's that at least.

Both pictures previewed there are him mugging in front of a camera.