Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Am I also right in thinking that they did a bit just prior to Wrestlemania where Austin covered him in beer? Classy! (yeah I know stone cold covered lots of people in beer and it was great but scott hall was identified both on- and off-screen as an deeply troubled alcoholic)
Austin opened a can of beer while Hall was duct taped to a chair and held it near him, all while Hall was on Antabuse.

It shouldn't shock you that none other than Bruce Prichard produced that segment and defends it to this very day.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hall is one of those guys I never want to see actively involved in road life ever again. I'm.glad he has his poo poo together, just do conventions, be there for your family.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Austin opened a can of beer while Hall was duct taped to a chair and held it near him, all while Hall was on Antabuse.

It shouldn't shock you that none other than Bruce Prichard produced that segment and defends it to this very day.

That's what I was thinking of, thank you.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

During a mini program between Austin and Guerrero, Eddie said they wrote a segment specifically to test his sobriety where Eddie and Austin interacted in a bar

IIRC, Austin was very frustrated at that point and asked for a program with Eddie, because he thought Eddie was one of the top workers on the roster and Austin wanted to have some great matches. I think they did that angle then Austin walked out (for the first time?) and I think Eddie ended up doing a PPV match with Ric Flair instead.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

IIRC, Austin was very frustrated at that point and asked for a program with Eddie, because he thought Eddie was one of the top workers on the roster and Austin wanted to have some great matches. I think they did that angle then Austin walked out (for the first time?) and I think Eddie ended up doing a PPV match with Ric Flair instead.

Makes sense. I wish it could have lasted longer. Eddie was so, so good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TL posted:

I remember reading somewhere that creative wanted him to job to Coachman - no idea if it would involve shenanigans, but like, gently caress off. I kind of get where he was coming from with the Brock situation, where they booked him to lose clean in a KOTR qualifier with no build on TV with no follow-up. He's absolutely right in saying that it should have been built up, especially when it's something that would have come quite early in Brock's career, and much like the match with The Rock, it could have been a major career-making match for him.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't they do an episode of WWE Byte This! where they spent the whole episode making GBS threads on Austin for walking out after he refused to job to Coachman?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

I remember reading somewhere that creative wanted him to job to Coachman - no idea if it would involve shenanigans, but like, gently caress off.

It's worse than you think.

Jobbing to Coachman was what they wanted him to do post-Wrestlemania 19. They were going to bring him out of retirement for it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jobbing to Coach was supposed to happen at Taboo Tuesday 2005, but since Austin went "gently caress that poo poo" they had Coach (with Goldust and Vader) face Batista instead. Batista, somehow, did not job to Coach.

That same PPV also had a very fat and very rusty Mankind beat Carlito in a terrible match, because that's how you build new stars. I remember being very disappointed Dude Love lost the "which gimmick should Foley come out as" fan vote.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Claytor posted:

Jobbing to Coachman was what they wanted him to do post-Wrestlemania 19. They were going to bring him out of retirement for it.

loving hell.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the pathetic WWE version of the nWo in 2002? I remember it being a revolving door where every single week there were people joining and leaving. Wasn't Booker invited and kicked out within a single episode of Raw?

So then it was the nWo then? :v:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I've found this very hard to research, so I have a question:

What are all of (or the most important) matt hardy gimmicks? Please describe them. I am only really familiar with broken matt hardy and the current iteration but i'm given to understand there's quite a few. Many websites will tell you the names but won't loving tell you what the bit was with them or what the gimmick actually was.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Claytor posted:

I've never heard this before and holy poo poo how could anyone think that was a good plan? That's more a rhetorical question, WWE is gonna WWE.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Nea posted:

What are all of (or the most important) matt hardy gimmicks? Please describe them. I am only really familiar with broken matt hardy and the current iteration but i'm given to understand there's quite a few. Many websites will tell you the names but won't loving tell you what the bit was with them or what the gimmick actually was.

There's OG Hardy Boyz Matt, where he and Jeff were Rockers style jobbers. Then there's Brood Vampire Matt when they teamed up with Gangrel. Then there's Classic Team Xtreme Matt which needs no explanation. Then there's Matt Hardy V1 where he played some kind of New Age Guru. Then he was generic Matt after he returned from being fired in 2005. Then he turned heel and became Key Tights Matt which didn't last long but I thought was a decent look. This iteration of Matt burned down Jeff's house, murdered his dog and tried to kill Jeff in a pyro explosion.

Then he was released and went to ROH were he became Big Money Matt and a member of S.C.U.M. I think the Big Money gimmick was a result of fans worrying about how Matt was going to make ends meet after leaving WWE and Matt responded with a YouTube video showing his bank statements and how well off he was. This YouTube era Matt was terrible, he often appeared high, threatened suicide and even zapped Reby Sky with a tazer.

I think he joined TNA and became a member of Immortal and had his hair braided and people thought he was Tyler Reks (Gabbi Tuft). He was quickly fired by TNA for either no showing events or drug issues or both. He eventually returned to TNA where he became Broken Matt which could fill a post of it's own. Then there's the WWE Woken version where he teamed with Bray Wyatt for a short time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nea posted:

I was writing this and refreshed the page to see someone had already done it, but mine might have different details, so here goes:

-High Voltage/Surge: Backyard fed characters
-The Wolverine: Early indies character
-Jynx Brothers: WWF jobbers with Jeff Hardy
-Hardy Boyz: Edgy tag team w/Jeff, temporarily managed by Michael Hayes
-New Brood: Gangrel betrayed Edge & Christian and managed the Hardy Boyz instead
-Team Xtreme: Matt & Jeff added Lita to the group because Matt was dating her
-Version 1.0: Singles run where "Matt Facts" would appear on the screen during his entrance
-Sensei of Mattitude: Short-lived stable with Matt and his 'MFers' (Mattitude Followers)
-Angelic Diablo: WWE released him and Lita IRL cheated on him, so he did a bunch of angry video segments
-Unkillable: Got rehired, big worked-shoot return, catchphrase was "Matt Hardy will not die"
-Just wrestled as Matt Hardy for several years in WWE & TNA, don't remember if he used a nickname but he joined some stables
-Big Money Matt: His ROH run, talked about how rich he was
-Broken Matt: Deranged TNA character, pretty much the same as Woken Matt in WWE
-Damascus: Broken Matt in AEW, but possessed by a god or something
-Multifarious Matt: Switched gimmicks from his past every time he went into water
-Big Money Matt (AEW version): Leader of the HFO

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's important to note that before Broken Matt (or maybe Big Money Matt), Matt Hardy was not known for his promo skills so most of those gimmicks were bland as hell.
He's like Scott Steiner in that he only found his performing chops once his body started to break down.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, his big promo when he returned as Unkillable Matt Hardy needs to be seen to be believed. "Ah hope yew and yore chawldren dah in a car accident y'all. Bawss Hawgg y'all."

The loving state of your promo, mate.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It was still pretty great when he jumped out of the audience and security tackled him as he yelled about Ring of Honor, and the commentary didn't say anything and they cut to commercial quickly. As terrible as WWE can be, they really nailed the worked shoot feel in that angle.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, his big promo when he returned as Unkillable Matt Hardy needs to be seen to be believed. "Ah hope yew and yore chawldren dah in a car accident y'all. Bawss Hawgg y'all."

The loving state of your promo, mate.

"Adam, yew ruined mah chances of evuh having a famuhly!" - actual quote from man who was apparently castrated by Edge???

Also, referring to Adam "The Feces" Copeland like he had delivered the sickest burn imaginable.

I'm still in shock to this day that Matt turned things around and became the character(s) he has since those dark times. Kudos to you Matt Hardy, kudos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, V1 and Big Money he was good at talking in too. He's just better at goofy than GRRR promos.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Is there a particular reason why Saturn was punished with the Moppy gimmick for shooting on a jobber when dudes like Holly and Bradshaw pulled that poo poo on the regular? Other wrestlers would get a receipt in the ring or whatever, not a whole gimmick change.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been punished because it was pretty brutal, but was it egregiously worse than what other people were doing at the same time? Or was it the straw that broke the camel's back on top of some other things?

I know he had substance abuse problems as well, but I'm not sure how bad it was at that time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

"Adam, yew ruined mah chances of evuh having a famuhly!" - actual quote from man who was apparently castrated by Edge???

Also, referring to Adam "The Feces" Copeland like he had delivered the sickest burn imaginable.

I'm still in shock to this day that Matt turned things around and became the character(s) he has since those dark times. Kudos to you Matt Hardy, kudos.

Well, good news on that front, Matt..

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Saturn wasn't one of the boys of either Vince or some other highly influential people the way Bradshaw and Holly were

forgot to mention, the jobber Saturn hosed up was a pretty popular guy himself in terms of being liked by important wrestlers. if not at the time it happened then back during the 'new generation' era where a few elder statesmen were still around like the undertaker

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 11, 2021

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ive never heard this perry saturn shooting on a jobber story, plz elaborate

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

ive never heard this perry saturn shooting on a jobber story, plz elaborate

He was wrestling a guy on Jakked and they had some communication issues that caused the guy to botch some stuff, so Saturn stiffed him hard for the rest of the match. Saturn has since said he regrets it and the guy passed away from a heart attack because of steroid use. His brother then made a documentary about steroid use in sports called Bigger Faster Stronger.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was a match with Mike Bell, you can find it on youtube if you want.

Basically, an armdrag went wrong and Saturn landed on his head and didn't like it. He threw Bell out of the ring in a way that caused him to land basically on his head too.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

-New Brood: Gangrel betrayed Edge & Christian and managed the Hardy Boyz instead
-Team Xtreme: Matt & Jeff added Lita to the group because Matt was dating her

In between these two, the Hardyz won a tournament against E&C to win Terri Runnels as a manager. The day after, Gangrel announced he had "scored" with Terri while the others were wrestling, all 4 guys beat him up, and the Hardyz left with Terri. She was their manager for like, two months? It's all about as bizarre as it sounds and Terri fit about as well with the Hardyz as you would expect. They tried so hard to find a mouthpiece for those two. Lita wasn't that, but she was a much better fit with the guys and was actually over with the crowd.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They put Michael Hayes with the Hardyz too.

edit: duuhhhh I should read the thread

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Michael Hayes in the raver clothes is only topped by the actual terrible clothes he wears these days.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheKingslayer posted:

Michael Hayes in the raver clothes is only topped by the actual terrible clothes he wears these days.

The funniest thing is he was forty when he was wearing those. Jeff is forty-four and still wearing them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

rujasu posted:

In between these two, the Hardyz won a tournament against E&C to win Terri Runnels as a manager. The day after, Gangrel announced he had "scored" with Terri while the others were wrestling, all 4 guys beat him up, and the Hardyz left with Terri. She was their manager for like, two months? It's all about as bizarre as it sounds and Terri fit about as well with the Hardyz as you would expect. They tried so hard to find a mouthpiece for those two. Lita wasn't that, but she was a much better fit with the guys and was actually over with the crowd.

No selling that it was the Terri Invitational Tournament.

GEDDIT? TIT

I don't want to shock you but this was started just before Russo left the company.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Zombie Lemur posted:

Is there a particular reason why Saturn was punished with the Moppy gimmick for shooting on a jobber when dudes like Holly and Bradshaw pulled that poo poo on the regular? Other wrestlers would get a receipt in the ring or whatever, not a whole gimmick change.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been punished because it was pretty brutal, but was it egregiously worse than what other people were doing at the same time? Or was it the straw that broke the camel's back on top of some other things?

I know he had substance abuse problems as well, but I'm not sure how bad it was at that time.
Based on no insider knowledge, I am guessing it was a combination of two things:

1) Most of the flagrant stories I can think of (Blue Meanie, Public Enemy, Daniel Puder) where Bradshaw or Holly 'took liberties', they were doing it in retaliation for some sort of locker room/backstage/'wrestlers' court' reason and therefore acting effectively as police brutality for "The Boys". Saturn beat the poo poo out of Mike Bell because he was mad that he botched a hip toss, not because he had a 'bad attitude' or had worked unsafely in a previous match or didn't give up his first class seat or whatever other thing caused the other stiffness. This doesn't excuse *any* of it, but "going into business for yourself" vs. "enforcing the rules" would have different consequences, I imagine.

2. Bradshaw and Holly were both sort of slotted in as "enforcers/locker room leaders" when they were being shitheads, Saturn had only jumped over from WCW the previous year. There was plentiful "these WCW guys can't work and aren't a good fit with the boys backstage" grumbling throughout the entire period, which may have played a role too. Mike Bell was a jobber but one who had nine years of WWF enhancement matches under his belt, getting squashed by all sorts of people who were also in the 2001 locker room. He had three matches with Undertaker, two with Triple H, seven with Billy Gunn, plus several with X-Pac, Godfather, Hardcore Holly, Rikishi, Ron Simmons, Dustin Rhodes, Al Snow, Albert, Tom Pritchard, and probably some other people who I am forgetting who would have been backstage in 2001. I have seen exactly one Mike Bell match that I remember (the Saturn one), but internally Bell was 'good enough' to have been brought in for dozens of job duties for almost a decade when Saturn beat the poo poo out of him and declared that he can't work. Any one of the people mentioned above going "actually Mike Bell is good" would probably have been enough for management to doubt Saturn's assessment.

3. Vince probably saw a mop in silhouette and thought it looked sexy before catching himself and someone had to get that gimmick.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rujasu posted:

I stopped watching WWE in 2001 or so, and to me it's really weird that Lita is remembered as someone who has that kind of role - I have a fairly distinct memory of her first (or at least one of her first) live arena speeches and it was extremely bad. She had some of the worst stage fright I had ever seen from a wrestler, and she didn't even really seem to understand how to talk into the mic. She didn't speak live in front of the crowd during the time I continued to watch.

It's cool that they gave her the opportunity to improve.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

The funniest thing is he was forty when he was wearing those. Jeff is forty-four and still wearing them.

The difference, of course, being that Michael Hayes spent several decades as a guy in his forties.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On his podcast with Gerry Brisco talking to that match's referee, apparently now Bradshaw's story about the Public Enemy thing was right before the match went on at Gorilla Position PE flatly refused to do the planned table spot finish and didn't offer any alternatives, just they didn't want to do it. Also according to Bradshaw they thought PE was going to come back all hot and get into a fight with he and Ron but when they did get backstage they just shook APA's hands and went on about their business.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Cavauro posted:

Saturn wasn't one of the boys of either Vince or some other highly influential people the way Bradshaw and Holly were

forgot to mention, the jobber Saturn hosed up was a pretty popular guy himself in terms of being liked by important wrestlers. if not at the time it happened then back during the 'new generation' era where a few elder statesmen were still around like the undertaker

Edge & Christian posted:

Based on no insider knowledge, I am guessing it was a combination of two things:

1) Most of the flagrant stories I can think of (Blue Meanie, Public Enemy, Daniel Puder) where Bradshaw or Holly 'took liberties', they were doing it in retaliation for some sort of locker room/backstage/'wrestlers' court' reason and therefore acting effectively as police brutality for "The Boys". Saturn beat the poo poo out of Mike Bell because he was mad that he botched a hip toss, not because he had a 'bad attitude' or had worked unsafely in a previous match or didn't give up his first class seat or whatever other thing caused the other stiffness. This doesn't excuse *any* of it, but "going into business for yourself" vs. "enforcing the rules" would have different consequences, I imagine.

2. Bradshaw and Holly were both sort of slotted in as "enforcers/locker room leaders" when they were being shitheads, Saturn had only jumped over from WCW the previous year. There was plentiful "these WCW guys can't work and aren't a good fit with the boys backstage" grumbling throughout the entire period, which may have played a role too. Mike Bell was a jobber but one who had nine years of WWF enhancement matches under his belt, getting squashed by all sorts of people who were also in the 2001 locker room. He had three matches with Undertaker, two with Triple H, seven with Billy Gunn, plus several with X-Pac, Godfather, Hardcore Holly, Rikishi, Ron Simmons, Dustin Rhodes, Al Snow, Albert, Tom Pritchard, and probably some other people who I am forgetting who would have been backstage in 2001. I have seen exactly one Mike Bell match that I remember (the Saturn one), but internally Bell was 'good enough' to have been brought in for dozens of job duties for almost a decade when Saturn beat the poo poo out of him and declared that he can't work. Any one of the people mentioned above going "actually Mike Bell is good" would probably have been enough for management to doubt Saturn's assessment.

3. Vince probably saw a mop in silhouette and thought it looked sexy before catching himself and someone had to get that gimmick.

Thanks.

I had no idea Bell had been around that much, I thought he was just some rando.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
His younger brother Matt's documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster: The Side Effects of Being American is quite good.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

smikey posted:

His younger brother Matt's documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster: The Side Effects of Being American is quite good.

My wires got crossed in my head and I thought "Younger Brother Matt" was another incarnation of Matt Hardy.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Claytor posted:

The difference, of course, being that Michael Hayes spent several decades as a guy in his forties.

It's also different when you start wearing raver clothes in your 40s. It's not who Micheal Hayes is. It is who Jeff Hardy is so it feels different.

forkboy84 posted:

No selling that it was the Terri Invitational Tournament.

GEDDIT? TIT

I don't want to shock you but this was started just before Russo left the company.

Russo got so loving lucky he lived during America's collective adolescence.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edit: Oops sorry