Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

yeah if i ever have a big american sized kitchen i'm gonna get a deep fryer

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big agree. i gotta go revisit my chik-fil-gay recipe that is a pretty loving good clone of the Hate Restaurant's nuggets, but peanut oil is 20 bucks a gallon and my fridge space to save the used stuff is verrrry limited

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
didnt you post about how you were this fuckin close to dyin and now you're going to eat fish and rice from now on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
weekends dont count my good bitch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i do eat like a bird during the week. gotta have one cut loose day a week though or else you get burned out. [AMA] about eating grilled chicken, rice and steamed veg every lunch for a month

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

i do eat like a bird during the week. gotta have one cut loose day a week though or else you get burned out. [AMA] about eating grilled chicken, rice and steamed veg every lunch for a month

It rocks, I just eat sandwiches all week and then splurge on the weekends.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try 시금치국, ordinary 된장국, 김치찌게, etc etc

the thing about korean food is that the actual ordinal-ideal meal, like the midwestern meat-and-potatoes or english meat-and-two-veg, is 국밥, or soup-and-rice (and the elided 3-12 side dishes). that's how korean peeps eat in the korean mind (they really did eat that way almost 100% of meals from 800-the 1990s). kbbq is fusion and export.

this is highly compatible w weekday eatin. don't have portion sizes like peeps of joseon tho

()

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 12, 2021

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jonny 290 posted:

big agree. i gotta go revisit my chik-fil-gay recipe
I will never not find it hilarious that pickle juice is the secret ingredient

bob dobbs is dead posted:

english meat-and-two-veg
I think you might be slightly misinterpreting what this means

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2021

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

lol

the “my pleasure” thing always weirds me out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

akadajet posted:

lol

the “my pleasure” thing always weirds me out

That's been the only place where I consistently have been approached by the manager asking me if i'm enjoying my meal.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

it means that but also an idealized type of meal

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

i think i know what you're getting at and if so, shared lmao. also a big ingredient in the coating is powdered sugar. imo thats what the burb chuds are really craving

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of these days i wanna do korean chicken nuggets and instead of pickle juice, use kimchi brine. gochugaru in the breading mix i could do this up nice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It rocks, I just eat sandwiches all week and then splurge on the weekends.
https://youtu.be/1NjTWvl8x-U

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

> I lost forty pounds in 6 days and gained two hundred pounds in one day and now I am a type one and two diabetic obese, emaciated hemophiliac . Thanks Butterfield diet!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it means that but also an idealized type of meal
Especially on a lonely Saturday night

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

made freekeh stew with sausage and beans

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

how would u like to get freekeh on my balls

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you’d probably want to let it cool down a bit first

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I tried to cook some bobs red mill freekeh a year or two ago and we boiled that poo poo for like three hours and it never softened up; I like to try new grains but ain't nobody got time for that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that must have been stale or something, I use either pereg brand or whatever they have at the spice shop I go to, it should cook in 45-60 minutes the longer the better because it starts releasing starch, that was probably an hour and 15 minutes

packages can say as little as 15 minutes which I’ll be nice and say is optimistic

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
if you fink i'm freekeh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

get your freekah

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

When I get precooked lentils in the glass jars they taste amazing - when I try and cook them myself:

- they taste mediocre
- the texture is really bad, normally way too stringy

What's the secret? Is there some magic technique? I've had more success with Indian dhal recipes but the texture still tends to be less good than the stuff in jars.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just made some chana masala and rice and ate too much and feel bloated

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

pointsofdata posted:

When I get precooked lentils in the glass jars they taste amazing - when I try and cook them myself:

- they taste mediocre

What's the secret? Is there some magic technique? I've had more success with Indian dhal recipes but the texture still tends to be less good than the stuff in jars.

If I let you into the club I will have to kill you. Sorry OP

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

For the texture, the only lentils that really retain their shape when cooked are green and black lentils. You can try to cook other types until they're tender but not mushy but it's hard.

As for the bland taste, it just boils down to seasoning your lentils. I like to cook mine in veggie stock, and i'll toss in a couple of spices like chili powder, turmeric, etc to season. For dals, the tarka is what gives it the flavor. Here are some recipes.

https://rainbowplantlife.com/10-ingredient-vegan-red-lentil-bolognese/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ougc-obNb7U

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

For the texture, the only lentils that really retain their shape when cooked are green and black lentils. You can try to cook other types until they're tender but not mushy but it's hard.

As for the bland taste, it just boils down to seasoning your lentils. I like to cook mine in veggie stock, and i'll toss in a couple of spices like chili powder, turmeric, etc to season. For dals, the tarka is what gives it the flavor. Here are some recipes.

https://rainbowplantlife.com/10-ingredient-vegan-red-lentil-bolognese/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ougc-obNb7U

i dont use salt in my cooking for health reasons, and i dont really use spices either as i prefer to actually taste my food. do you have any substitutes for this stuff? my lentils keep coming out bad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

i dont really use spices either as i prefer to actually taste my food.
pick a different food to taste. some food sucks real bad without any spices and/or salt

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i dont use salt in my cooking for health reasons, and i dont really use spices either as i prefer to actually taste my food. do you have any substitutes for this stuff? my lentils keep coming out bad.
Use a small amount of "light salt" (half potassium chloride)? Using zero salt is really going to kill the flavor of everything.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

I have this same problem with tofu.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have this same problem with tofu.

yeah!

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

pointsofdata posted:

- they taste mediocre

not enough salt/spices/seasoning.

stringy is an odd texture, how are you cooking them?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i dont really use spices either as i prefer to actually taste my food.

wtf

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson do you not use soy sauce either?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i was joking

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

it really shouldn't be this easy, but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have heard people literally say that though