Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
hahaha thank you

fire and ice is awful in so many ways, but there are other weirdly endearing things about it, like its blazing homoeroticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Well, alright I guess I should watch this, though reading about it in a thread like htis would probably be more fun

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Agreed. Bakshi threads are the highlight of my day.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Holy poo poo I just went to that Fire and Ice movie on youtube to skip around because I was curious what the art actually looked like since some of the movies like LOTR and Wizards have loving tons of weird looking/filtered live action segments and BAM

rear end

Two fat man-cheeks right in my face.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Fire and rear end.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I have been posting about fire and ice itt stone cold since day one and y'all are finally realizing what a monsterpiece it is

perepelki posted:

the orc analogues are called "subhumans" and they don't even look fantastical in any way, they just look like ugly dark-skinned men, and they run around threatening rape on everything and grunting like monkeys. for that i blame frazetta, though we must not speak ill of the dead.
Love me some Frazetta but you are absolutely correct on this entire account. I will speak ill of the dead, though, as much as I love Frazetta he was a piece of trash.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 12, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

he cool world

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Meme Poker Party posted:

Fire and rear end.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

Love me some Frazetta but you are absolutely correct on this entire account. I will speak ill of the dead, though, as much as I love Frazetta he was a piece of trash.
bakshi loves frazetta to this day :unsmith:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

perepelki posted:

bakshi loves frazetta to this day :unsmith:

My favorite band is High on Fire, I probably love Frazetta as much as Bakshi

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Fire & Ice featuring Axe Batman

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Different mask, same dude

https://youtu.be/MK2qBEvP2uk

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

but that's just regular fire and ice

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Fire and Ice is what Game of Thrones is based on right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bismuth posted:

yeah, thanks buddy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bismuth posted:

If you read movie reviews, Dune is based on the first 1/3 of star wars combined with game of thrones, so absolutely

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
24 hours and no update gotta keep this thread alive.
It seems that Cool World has only two options of things to do - going to night clubs and killing one another on the street. Do you think this world has other venues? A chess club perhaps? Rehab centers? Farms? What else might exist in this World of Cool that we aren't being shown?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mr.Chill posted:

24 hours and no update gotta keep this thread alive.
It seems that Cool World has only two options of things to do - going to night clubs and killing one another on the street. Do you think this world has other venues? A chess club perhaps? Rehab centers? Farms? What else might exist in this World of Cool that we aren't being shown?

Lonette said "doodles gotta eat" so im assuming the food must come from somewhere, there was also a disney style rabbit, which I assume probably lives in some idyllic woodland or farm setting, so im assuming this is just Cool World new york and at some distance maybe other comic/cartoon regions exist

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bismuth posted:

Game of Moans

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bismuth posted:

Lonette said "doodles gotta eat" so im assuming the food must come from somewhere, there was also a disney style rabbit, which I assume probably lives in some idyllic woodland or farm setting, so im assuming this is just Cool World new york and at some distance maybe other comic/cartoon regions exist

Garbage years NYC. Think Taxi Driver, Midnight cowboy, etc. Makes sense to me!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bismuth posted:

I think doodles probably hunt and gather other doodles and that's what we're seeing happening in the foreground. Long time residents of the cool world are so inured to the brutality that they're completely unfazed by it and pass it by without comment.

The prey doodles are spontaneously generated in the cool world when kids/students/horny imprisoned cartoonists draw in their notebooks in the real world.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I love how this thread has lots of spirited debate about the setting and backstory of the cool world, whereas Bakshi's consideration of world-building consisted of little more than dry humping the leg of his drafting desk as he thought about Betty Boop.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

would not be surprised actually to find Bakshi had like twenty pages of notes on doodles' elaborate social conventions around who eats who etc. which simply never made it into the final cut

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Yeah, see? There are clearly nicer places that can be visited/interacted with, at the very least by the doodles. I bet thats where all the disney farmland is

And dont say its just a painting/backdrop, all the environments are just paintings/backdrops, its no less valid a location than the sneering sunglass-wearing buildings

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

note also the sign, which like most things in cool world is a cruel pun: it's the Peoples Grill because what they grill is peoples

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

now dressed in a candy-pink pinafore and collared blouse emblazoned with the initials HW (where the clothes had come from would remain forever unclear), holli would immediately wanted to go to earth. but jack wanted to stay in the cool world. "it's so great here," he sighed.

"oh jack," holli would cried, clutching him, "we're noids! and noids just can't do doodle here!"

if not persuaded, jack was at least silenced by this argument. freezing up when suddenly grabbed hold of was a survival tactic he'd learnt in prison.

holli would tackled him backward onto the bed, feigning affection. but she had another motive: stealing his pen.

under the pretense of saying farewell to her horrible goons, holli would sneaked out and left jack there alone with his thoughts.

"oh yeah," said jack, in the voice of a man who was dying.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh boy he's watching the same movie as us. Meta

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the goons reacted with disgust to holli would's bizarre new form. "jaysus!" squawked the blue one, signifying His divine presence even in this hideous place. "you look like a high school hippie, peace man," said the humanoid-coloured one inexplicably.

nails appeared on the horizon, bidding the criminal stop in the name of the law.

the mortal form of the real kim basinger was existentially horrifying for nails to look upon.

holli would terrorised him with pelvic thrusts and snapping of straps, hinting at an entire extra-dimensional meaty nightmare beneath the pink pinafore.

cowering away from this apparition, nails shouted "you are a biomorphic menace!"

he forbade holli would from leaving the cool world; she defied him. "i'm leavin', pencil-dick!"

holli would unsheathed her secret weapon.

she stabbed nails with the pen and it sucked him screaming into its innards.

holli would kicked backwards triumphantly like a horse.

the goons were astonished.

"a pen job! pen me too, pen me too," the blue goon screeched as holli would walked away amidst a haze of floating cartoon ghosts, headstones, grim reapers, hallowe'en pumpkins, hanging cats etc. that had risen from the ground like fog in memory of nails.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, I forgot about the school girl romper and the literal Lolita glasses. It really was designed for 15 year-old Drew Barrymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Okay, I forgot about the school girl romper and the literal Lolita glasses. It really was designed for 15 year-old Drew Barrymore.

I'd say cancel Ralph Bakshi but let's be honest, would anyone notice

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It is rather difficult to cancel someone who does not exist in the public imagination

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Das Boo posted:

I hadn't thought of this and ughhhhh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thank god the movie just sucks, it could have been so much worse

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I like the ghost

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Das Boo posted:

oh no

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

"a pen job! pen me too, pen me too," the blue goon screeched as holli would walked away amidst a haze of floating cartoon ghosts, headstones, grim reapers, hallowe'en pumpkins, hanging cats etc. that had risen from the ground like fog in memory of nails.

Confirmation that doodles long for the sweet embrace of nothingness to free them from this eternal hell they live in.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

StarkRavingMad posted:

Confirmation that doodles long for the sweet embrace of nothingness to free them from this eternal hell they live in.

was there ever any doubt

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow they take after their creators

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

MrQwerty posted:

I have been posting about fire and ice itt stone cold since day one and y'all are finally realizing what a monsterpiece it is

I know nothing about Frazetta besides his work. Got any juicy tidbits?
I mean yeah, obviously there's lots of problematic stuff in his work but I don't recall anything too terribly egregiously outrageous off hand. I mean he drew what he was paid and in terms of racism, the tropes of fantasy back then especially and even today were often racist so yeah. Like was Frazetta a racist piece of poo poo even by the standards of his day, or was he just a product of his time? Not that the latter is okay by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
What a strange movie.