Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lmao GAA getting a big shout out in an article about sumo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Vargatron posted:

When is the trade deadline? I'm uh... nursing a training injury right now.

Day 8 (The middle day).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vargatron posted:

When is the trade deadline? I'm uh... nursing a training injury right now.

Day 8 IIRC

efb

I uh, I think Takayasu's done. Not sure what's up. And of course Ura wins after I drop him.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Southpaugh posted:

lmao GAA getting a big shout out in an article about sumo

Love big John, was hilarious as an Irish fan finding out some of the best English language reporting on the sport was by some fella from Galway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just getting caught up on Day 3. It felt like everyone was half-asleep until the Terutsuyoshi/Tobizaru match, and I swear there were two mattas the ref didn't call, the second one in the Onosho/Ura match.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Does anyone else feel like both Takayasu and Takakeisho should do some soul-searching? I feel like they could do so much more but seem to be stuck in a funk.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does anyone else feel like both Takayasu and Takakeisho should do some soul-searching? I feel like they could do so much more but seem to be stuck in a funk.

In the case of the latter, it's probably the injury (and/or the reduced practice time he's had due to that injury) holding him back this basho rather than it being a mental thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pakled posted:

In the case of the latter, it's probably the injury (and/or the reduced practice time he's had due to that injury) holding him back this basho rather than it being a mental thing.

I guess I just feel like he tends to choke far too often. The former is in some mental block, he should be getting more wins on the regular.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu has had lots of 'minor' back problems since his ozeki era. He hasn't had his truly explosive tachiai in years now and everything looks just a little bit harder for him than it used to be. That's probably where the mental struggles come in. He's sticking in san'yaku and upper maegashira so he's still good. But just doesn't quite have everything he used to and he knows it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Kenning, now that I'm more awake, my points as of Day 3 are very wrong. I believe I should have only gotten 3 points instead of 7.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll take the remainder if Maigius don't want them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wait what does Chris Sumo do that's bad? :ohdear:

Lots of general sumo conspiracy stuff. When Shodai was 7-7 on day 15 in July it was "They must have given him Takayasu on the last day as a softball to preserve his rank", like Takayasu wasn't Sekiwake East and it wouldn't have been weird to pass up an ozeki-sekiwake pairing. And pairing that with "It's crazy that they preserve his rank like this while banning Asanoyama, who could easily defend ozeki. Sure, it's nice that they want to have role models, but where's the sporting integrity?"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wait what does Chris Sumo do that's bad? :ohdear:

Don't know if it's bad but maybe he's referring to the series of videos Chris did on Asanoyama's suspension. Or what Khizan said.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would like to trade Takayasu for Meisei if available.

I think I will stand pat with AOIYAMA and Ichiyamamoto in hopes that they will reverse course.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Truly a day of infamy for my team

My fav thing about Takayasu is he looks old enough to be my dad and is the same age as me

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 15, 2021

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My poor sumo meatball going kyujo has forced me to request a trade :(

Can I swap Tsurugisho for Chiyomaru, Chiyonokuni or Kagayaki?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I love Takakeisho and really want him to take some time to get healthy, but dropping and making it back to Ozeki is really, really hard. I was looking on sumodb once to see what a good Ozeki record should be and of the guys that made Ozeki but not Yokozuna since 2000, only 4/15 of them ever picked up another 33/3 run and only Kaio was good enough that a 10/11 every tourney was expected before he stopped caring and just settled for keeping his rank.

The others were Baruto who had a great run but got cut short by injuries, Tochiazuma who is similar to Takakeisho in that whenever he was healthy he put together results but was hurt a lot, and Takakeisho himself who squeezed in a 8-4-3/12/13 between injuries. So basically the best modern non-Yokozuna, 2 guys wrecked by injuries and one that might be joining that group.

So if he doesn’t keep it now, he’s in tough to get back unless you think he’s got Yokozuna level talent.

Also Asanoyama has never strung 2 tourneys together but his if you take out the injured basho in between his 12/10 and the 11 he came back with he would have done it, but adding exceptions like that probably squeeze in a couple other guys as well. It was just easy to see with him since he only has 4 healthy Ozeki tourneys.

bessantj posted:

Don't know if it's bad but maybe he's referring to the series of videos Chris did on Asanoyama's suspension. Or what Khizan said.

Yeah, I don’t think he’s like cancel bad, he just has some strong, dumbass opinions whenever he does anything other than straight translating news and showing cool footage he shot. And lots of people watch his stuff because there’s like no other option for regular English sumo content between basho.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 15, 2021

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Requesting to trade Takayasu for Mitakeumi if he's available, Meisei if he isn't.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Really, really hoping that Takayasu can turn it around but it looked like he had his rib taped, yesterday which makes me think he's not long for this basho

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm sticking with my furbaby until he goes out injured. He can turn this around. I have faith. :ohdear:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I will not be trading tochinoshin.

thank you for reading

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

chris sumo knows what makes sumo great.

drama.

when there is no sumo you have to make the drama yourself.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Takayasu will not turn this around but I also won't be trading the big lug

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't find Chris Sumo's coverage sensational or anything. I think he's using sources that the mainstream sumo media won't use and he's really advocated for accountability in the JSA for a lot of issues in the sumo world. His match day reviews are also really good, especially of developing wrestlers.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I would like to dump Takayasu for Mitakeumi, please and thank you.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

If you super don't want to trade Tsurugisho away, he'll probably be back tomorrow (or very soon)--it's just a fever, not the 'rona. (Yet.)

e: See, your boy's already back! https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vargatron posted:

I don't find Chris Sumo's coverage sensational or anything. I think he's using sources that the mainstream sumo media won't use and he's really advocated for accountability in the JSA for a lot of issues in the sumo world. His match day reviews are also really good, especially of developing wrestlers.

He does stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZ46IPo_ag

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Yeah his news round ups and match day episodes are good to watch. I don't watch any of his other videos though. :shrug:

I also like that he's been adding little b-roll of stuff around the arena and the area. :shobon: It's nice to see and makes me excited to go to a basho one day maybe hopefully please Japan let me back in

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Maigius posted:

Kenning, now that I'm more awake, my points as of Day 3 are very wrong. I believe I should have only gotten 3 points instead of 7.

Yep, had you with Teru instead of Keisho for y/o. Fixed it!

Vargatron posted:

I would like to trade Takayasu for Meisei if available.

I think I will stand pat with AOIYAMA and Ichiyamamoto in hopes that they will reverse course.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Requesting to trade Takayasu for Mitakeumi if he's available, Meisei if he isn't.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I would like to dump Takayasu for Mitakeumi, please and thank you.

Trades all registered for day 5 with top picks.

Day 4 standings

Makuuchi

code:
14	Banana Canada
14	bartolimu
14	pseudodragon
13	Everyones Favorite Poster
13	GoatSeeGuy
13	Maigius
13	Skjorte
13	Tochiazuma
12	anakha
12	Bellwether
12	bessantj
12	Brut
12	Dias
12	Kenning
12	QuasiQuack
12	Tiny Bug Child
11	captainblastum
11	jmzero
11	KungFu Grip
11	LlamaTrauma
11	MalarkeyToboggan
11	scripterror
10	Charles Gnarwin
10	Chinook
10	Khizan
10	Marching Powder
10	MyChemicalImbalance
10	Pakled
10	whats for dinner
9	Fluffdaddy
9	Lid
8	Helianthus Annuus
8	Scythe
8	sivad
8	Thauros
7	Beeswax
7	Vargatron
Juryo

code:
16	Crusty Nutsack
14	Halloween Jack
14	Ice Phisherman
14	ilmucche
14	Robviously
13	Diplomat
12	Eli949
12	Martytoof
12	Shiroc
12	Spokes
12	Takuan
11	Communist Thoughts
11	Netsky
11	Teddybear
10	Firebatgyro
9	Jobbo_Fett
8	Liquid Communism
7	Gaghskull
7	Iron Chef Nex
6	NuclearPotato

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I might be in the top spot if Aoiyama's moobs weren't weighing me down :argh:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hokutufuji is kyujo so need to trade him for my second choice Takarafuji

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Requesting to trade Hoshoryu for Kiribayama.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Takakeisho looked like a completely new man on the dohyo today. Holy poo poo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It is with the heaviest of hearts I ask to trade Hoshoryu for Wakatakakage, please.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I really wish Terunofuji wouldn't do that thing where he rotates his knee joints around.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Hokutufuji is kyujo so need to trade him for my second choice Takarafuji

ditto

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would like to trade Hoshoryu for Kiribayama/Tamawashi/Kotonowaka in that order (Mongolia strong!)

I am well on my way to a disastrous fantasy basho, but I am at least thrilled to see AOYIAMA make short work of that buffoon Endo

Also Ura vs Daiesho and Shodai vs Waka were incredible

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Requesting to trade Hoshoryu for whoever's available in the following order: Wakatakakage/Kotonowaka/Kiribayama/Daieisho

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
drat, I was hoping Kotoeko would win that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Ura - Daieishou match was great sumo. Ura got a poster moment for sure.

Also really thought Ichinojou was cooked right at the start.

Kiribayama with a great match against Teru as well!