Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah now that i don't have "well my GPU is lovely" as an excuse i gotta go get a 1440p monitor because i want some loving framerate for the first time in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah. I use a celeron NUC-form-factor running win10 for all my ham radio stuff. the software is very low CPU, and it runs off 12v so i just have it wired into my battery/solar setup so it can run forever for free. just RDP in.

If i upgrade im gonna get one more like what you have, one of those cool "industrial mini PCs" with all the db9 ports and the whole top is a heatsink etc

one other neat thing you can do w/ it is it has an integrated sim card, and you can install a 3g cellular modem internally. so you could take one + a modest battery setup and an inverter, compute from most anywhere w/ it. draws maybe 15w or so max.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i've never played tf2 but my understanding is that overwatch is similar and it's really nice at 1440p and 144 fps/hz

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I played black mesa on max settings recently and it was super fun

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i've never played tf2 but my understanding is that overwatch is similar and it's really nice at 1440p and 144 fps/hz

I've never played overwatch but it looks to be heavily influenced by tf2 but they added a monkey and some asses

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
inner ear defects, lack thereof > fps > age of player > vibrator on head > athletic experience (esp. balance dealios) > movement types > in universe vertiginousness (the plank trick will make you hosed up anytime anywhere) > resolution > weight of headset on head > control types as factors for vr sickness

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

I played black mesa on max settings recently and it was super fun

oblivion (the best elder scrolls game) isn't locked to 60fps like skyrim is, it's nice to play with everything cranked up to max

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

I've never played overwatch but it looks to be heavily influenced by tf2 but they added a monkey and some asses

there's a hamster now too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I played a little overwatch at release but it didn't grab me. TF2 is....idk. it's a pretty tight game at this point, roles are well defined, I don't think they're introducing many new weapons that induce new strats these days. For a while i was actually in some pickup 6v6 channels (playing medic, as a lovely player does) and had a blast.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

so you think lower the res and set it to where i can hit 60fps? i'll keep that in mind for when i get the vr. i'm going to use an og htc vive so the specs will be easier for me to hit w/ the hardware i have

the vr set i use is a quest 1 that apparently refreshes at 72hz, and that refresh rate doesn't make me sick. however, it is instantly noticeable when it begins to drop, and any lag makes me immediately dizzy.

some people in the flight sim thread are claiming that they can do fine with 45fps and the interpolated frame doubler, but other than that yes i think sub-60 fps will be nauseating.

(also 72hz is kinda crunchy in general compared to my monitor that's twice as fast, lol)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

before i could get a real video card i played tf2 for a bit with the graphics turned all the way down to n64 settings which was a lot of fun

it plays similar but all the maps are small as hell and meant for quick 5 minute matches. it doesn't get to the level of glorious chaos that tf2 could reach

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

the vr set i use is a quest 1 that apparently refreshes at 72hz, and that refresh rate doesn't make me sick. however, it is instantly noticeable when it begins to drop, and any lag makes me immediately dizzy.

some people in the flight sim thread are claiming that they can do fine with 45fps and the interpolated frame doubler, but other than that yes i think sub-60 fps will be nauseating.

(also 72hz is kinda crunchy in general compared to my monitor that's twice as fast, lol)

cool, thanks for the write-up about it, i haven't really done much of anything w/ vr yet

i might just get a hardware scaler, render it at 720p30, and use that to export it at 1080p60

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think that tf2 is a much better game, it's a shame that it didn't really "catch on".

That being said overwatch is pretty fun, I play with friends from time to time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah now that i don't have "well my GPU is lovely" as an excuse i gotta go get a 1440p monitor because i want some loving framerate for the first time in my life

i'm really glad that the monitor megathread convinced me to get a high-refresh monitor because WOW it is such a difference. even just in everyday use. i am vastly more precise with graphics software and the screen just feels smooth and slippery and responsive in a way i didn't know was possible.

i will take high refresh rate over super resolution (assuming the fast monitor has IPS color quality) every time now.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it plays similar but all the maps are small as hell and meant for quick 5 minute matches. it doesn't get to the level of glorious chaos that tf2 could reach

i kinda like the short 5-10 minute matches, how long is a typical tf2 match?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think that tf2 is a much better game, it's a shame that it didn't really "catch on".

how did it not catch on, wasn't it incredibly popular when it was released?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, i was hollering about 4k but then looked at the prices for a 144 or 165 4k and my eyes started watering. I was guided to 1440p which seems like a nice bump over my 1080p, but is still affordable for a unit with good refresh and color quality

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what do you mean tf2 didn't catch on

it was like the #1 active game on steam for a long long long time

https://steamcharts.com/app/440 like 70k active players RIGHT NOW

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

It was popular in its time but if Meme Buzz for tf2 is set at, say, 100 imaginary units, the noise and PR and chatter about Overwatch peaked at like 1700. It was a precursor to the "everybody is playing this rn" trend, but just on a much smaller scale.

Good TF2 games are usually 20-30 minutes not counting OT but you can find servers with no time limit if you just want to jump into an eternal endless battle and frag a bit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

i might just get a hardware scaler, render it at 720p30, and use that to export it at 1080p60

....what?

you feel sick in vr when your viewpoint doesn't synchronize with your head movement. you need to hit a high enough refresh rate that your eyes can't detect any lag in the picture when you spin your head around. frame doubling a 30fps image sequence to 60fps won't do poo poo.

unless you mean using some sort of frame interpolation in which case idk why you'd need a hardware device as i think the feature is built into all headsets these day

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it really depended on the map. there were some that were similar to overwatch, quick 5-10 defend/capture a single point. There were some that were little more than persistent battle royals. Cart matches usually took about 15-20 and some capture points and CFT games could just go on forever. A wide range of maps for all tastes.

its not that they couldn't do it in Overwatch, it's just not been blizz's focus, which is fine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

what do you mean tf2 didn't catch on

it was like the #1 active game on steam for a long long long time

https://steamcharts.com/app/440 like 70k active players RIGHT NOW

Opps I forgot a word, meant to say competitive tf2 didn't catch on. 6v6 and highlander are very fun formats.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

It was popular in its time but if Meme Buzz for tf2 is set at, say, 100 imaginary units, the noise and PR and chatter about Overwatch peaked at like 1700. It was a precursor to the "everybody is playing this rn" trend, but just on a much smaller scale.

interesting, i didn't think the gap was that large

Jonny 290 posted:

Good TF2 games are usually 20-30 minutes not counting OT but you can find servers with no time limit if you just want to jump into an eternal endless battle and frag a bit

that's cool, that does sound appealing sometimes. can you still win if you're losing in minute 29 or is it like league or dota where you can lose in minute 1 and you just have to ride it out?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can turn it around i guess but it isn't easy. kinda depends on the game mode too

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

....what?

unless you mean using some sort of frame interpolation in which case idk why you'd need a hardware device as i think the feature is built into all headsets these day

yes, but if it's already built-in i'll just use that. vr just isn't something i'm familiar with so how they address issues, and what they are is all pretty new. i've no idea if i'll even enjoy it or find it comfortable, but it sounds nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

tf2 was incredibly huge when it came out and for like 2 or 3 years after. its still one of the most played games on steam.

overwatch deffo sucks tho. like all mobas it breeds frustration and toxicity.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok i guess i'm just confused since you seem to have a vr headset but you don't appear know anything about it. that's fine, just odd

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

you can turn it around i guess but it isn't easy. kinda depends on the game mode too

that makes sense

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It can go back and forth depending on the mode, yeah. 90% of high end tf2 is "control point", you have played this if you've played any game where you gotta stand on a flag for 10 seconds and survive to take it, then you have to take another one while also trying to stop the other team from retaking the first point. Very similar to UT onslaught etc.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Control_Point_(game_mode)

there are a couple variations; symmetrical (control points start neutral, take as many as you can) and attack/defend (the teams switch roles between rounds).

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

ok i guess i'm just confused since you seem to have a vr headset but you don't appear know anything about it. that's fine, just odd

i don't have one yet sagebrush, but i've settled on an htc vive as far as which one. it's just on the horizon now, as i have sufficient hardware for it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Opps I forgot a word, meant to say competitive tf2 didn't catch on. 6v6 and highlander are very fun formats.

6v6 sucks, mobas suck, they're all unbearably boring to watch. idk if anyone actually enjoys watching them so much as they're propped up by activision/blizzard et.al. throwing money at the tournaments.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

i don't have one yet sagebrush, but i've settled on an htc vive as far as which one. it's just on the horizon now, as i have sufficient hardware for it

i see. i misread "going to use an og htc vive" as "i already have an og htc vive" but you are getting a used one or something. it all makes sense now.

carry on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

interesting, i didn't think the gap was that large

that's cool, that does sound appealing sometimes. can you still win if you're losing in minute 29 or is it like league or dota where you can lose in minute 1 and you just have to ride it out?

tf2 is still fun to play when you're losing for the most part

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

remember tc_hydro? lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hydro had way too many choke points to make the map fun.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tf2 is not particularly fun to watch but it is spectacular to play. Except Spy. I loving hate spy, i tried so hard for 2 months straight, i sucked so hard every time.

also i'm not a 13 year old on adderall so i can't play sniper

Soldier is really fun and straightforward, demo makes booms but you can play with more strategy, and engineer dropping tiny sentries super fast is an incredible troll class

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

my 1070 plays RimWorld just fine, what more do you need

rimworld is great. love it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also, as far as flight 2020 i've recently been flying around on one of the included bush flights. i've been flying around cali / arizona, and the hillsides / mountains are all scrubby with sagebrush and other chaparral features. the mountains look strange to me as far as the vegetation. pretty though, lots of space

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Do they still have the guns with the different stats? I remember that's what drove me away way back when

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

tf2 is not particularly fun to watch but it is spectacular to play. Except Spy. I loving hate spy, i tried so hard for 2 months straight, i sucked so hard every time.

also i'm not a 13 year old on adderall so i can't play sniper

Soldier is really fun and straightforward, demo makes booms but you can play with more strategy, and engineer dropping tiny sentries super fast is an incredible troll class

My favorite time playing spy was when the deadringer first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

also, as far as flight 2020 i've recently been flying around on one of the included bush flights.

i'm biting my tongue so loving hard here