Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man, was a completely different guy in charge of the game when you get to the Soaratorium? It's a bit of a buzzkill compared to how the game had been going.

"Let's make half the quests inaccessible to the player instead of letting them access almost all of them from the start like we've been doing. Oh and all those villager requests that let the player unlock cool new stuff? Get rid of them, I don't want any of those in this part."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Alright you all convinced me. I've had World in my steam for years and only got a few hours into it. Downloading now, I got about 40 hours out of Rise, I'm sure I'll get that at least here, esp since I somehow bought it years ago.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You’re going to love World. It’s such an incredible game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barreft posted:

Alright you all convinced me. I've had World in my steam for years and only got a few hours into it. Downloading now, I got about 40 hours out of Rise, I'm sure I'll get that at least here, esp since I somehow bought it years ago.

Feel free to join the discord (link in the OP) if you want help/anyone to hunt with.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I fought a Hyper monster today on a DLC quest that was a little too above me (it was a 7* quest, I only just unlocked 5* in the hub although I'm on 9* in village quests). I managed to survive for 45 minutes until I fainted a third time, but I consider that an achievement honestly considering how incredibly hard the monster was hitting me (I had a full health bar and it took about half my HP whenever it hit). Gotta say I'm not a fan of this kind of difficulty though, especially since it's a massive "gently caress you" to hammer users since the monster is constantly enraged and thus ignores exhaust damage, hammer users have to get in close and need the monster to be relatively still to make the most of their arts, and can't block. I wonder if there's any other kinds of monsters that are just a gigantic middle finger to a particular weapon type, like are there monsters that just can't be damaged by long range weapons at all? Just seems really rude to gently caress over hammer mains like that.

Well anyway, I expect them to start showing up in village quests or even just hub quests relatively soon since all my weapon and armor upgrades have hit a wall and are requiring hyper parts/licenses or Commendation Gs to level. They might hopefully be more manageable there since they won't have hugely inflated HP due to being meant for MP (well if it's a village quest anyway) or at least won't be two ranks higher than me.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Barreft posted:

I recently reinstalled as an unemployment time killer, and I honestly can't remember why I ever uninstalled it in the first place

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Beat my first Hyper monster today, the Malfestio from the Okami DLC quest. I wouldn't say it was easy but it helps that Malfestio is a relatively small and simple monster to deal with, and Felyne Insomniac from food helps to get rid of its nastier attack (though it still knocks you out of a hammer charge which is annoying). Certainly easier to deal with than loving Yian Garuga which still remains my most hated monster to fight, I just cannot deal with that guy.

The Hyper Hunter II I got from it allowed me to max out my Anvil Hammer which has more blue sharpness and 20 more attack than the Ceanataur axe I was using. This puts me in a good position for future quests, since I am extremely bad at Monster Hunter and rely on a lot of dumb luck and good gear to help me pull through.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beat my first Hyper monster today, the Malfestio from the Okami DLC quest. I wouldn't say it was easy but it helps that Malfestio is a relatively small and simple monster to deal with, and Felyne Insomniac from food helps to get rid of its nastier attack (though it still knocks you out of a hammer charge which is annoying). Certainly easier to deal with than loving Yian Garuga which still remains my most hated monster to fight, I just cannot deal with that guy.

The Hyper Hunter II I got from it allowed me to max out my Anvil Hammer which has more blue sharpness and 20 more attack than the Ceanataur axe I was using. This puts me in a good position for future quests, since I am extremely bad at Monster Hunter and rely on a lot of dumb luck and good gear to help me pull through.

Good job!

I find Garuga folds pretty hard to Prowler, in particular. He's super weak to water, and Prowlers excel at applying elemental damage. If you can, angle your boomerangs so you hit his back (very easy to do if you have the Piercing/Big Boomerangs charged). If you can't, just smack him anywhere. Prowler is quick on its feet so you should be able to avoid getting hit by his bullshit.

Garuga is so vulnerable to Prowler cheese that his Deviant version (hub only) was the target of choice for power levelling Prowlers. (Might still be, unsure). You get a team of 4 Prowlers all machinegunning boomerangs on his back and he is stunlocked for most of the fight. It's hilarious.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1438775604569010177?s=19

Cool collab but game still dead

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

World 2 when?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I got lucky as hell and got a charm with Expert 10/Protection 6 and two slots, now I have Critical Eye 3 and Attack Up M with the equipment I'm wearing. It even let me swap out the waist armor I was using for the Gammoth armor to increase my abysmal ice resist that I had before.

I also finally beat a Deviljho and managed to snag two talons from it, which is nice. It did make me feel like the Out of the Fry Pan village quest is impossible for me, since that quest requires you to defeat three monsters, one of them being Deviljho, and my fight took well over half an hour. Not gonna work with a 50 minute time limit and two other monsters after.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Twelve by Pies posted:

I got lucky as hell and got a charm with Expert 10/Protection 6 and two slots, now I have Critical Eye 3 and Attack Up M with the equipment I'm wearing. It even let me swap out the waist armor I was using for the Gammoth armor to increase my abysmal ice resist that I had before.

I also finally beat a Deviljho and managed to snag two talons from it, which is nice. It did make me feel like the Out of the Fry Pan village quest is impossible for me, since that quest requires you to defeat three monsters, one of them being Deviljho, and my fight took well over half an hour. Not gonna work with a 50 minute time limit and two other monsters after.

Quests with multiple monsters cut their HP significantly

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think it's significantly enough that you'd spend less time doing that quest compared to fighting one of those guys by themselves.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

This. I dont know what it is about rise it just hasnt pulled me like world did.

Luckily stories is fun.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jho solo in Hub 7★ // Steppe in the Right Direction has more than double the HP as in Village 6★ // Advanced: Out of the Fry Pan. If you're soloing Jho elsewhere in hub, you're well set for the village advanced.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Did I make a mistake getting Rise as my first "real" MH game? I bought it when it was on sale because I like the idea of Monster Hunter, I've just never played any of them. I'm playing MHS2 and I love the visual style and the world (though I kind of find the story to be just fine and kind of forgettable). I haven't actually played any main line MH game other than like 10 minutes of World at a friend's place.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MockingQuantum posted:

Did I make a mistake getting Rise as my first "real" MH game? I bought it when it was on sale because I like the idea of Monster Hunter, I've just never played any of them. I'm playing MHS2 and I love the visual style and the world (though I kind of find the story to be just fine and kind of forgettable). I haven't actually played any main line MH game other than like 10 minutes of World at a friend's place.

Eh? I wouldn't call it a mistake though I do think World is far and away more immersive of a Monhun game but at its core is still the same basic gameplay loop as Rise. I'd say if you did enjoy Rise go ahead and pick up World, you'll enjoy more Monster Hunter regardless.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

No, its a great MH game. People have different favorites for different reasons, if you play World or GU or (eventually) World 2 you may discover you like different aspects of the genre but thats cool. I still prefer GU over any other recent release bc of the sheer volume of Content and I really like styles. But doesnt stop me from dumping hundreds of hours into Rise adn World and Iceborne

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Eh? I wouldn't call it a mistake though I do think World is far and away more immersive of a Monhun game but at its core is still the same basic gameplay loop as Rise. I'd say if you did enjoy Rise go ahead and pick up World, you'll enjoy more Monster Hunter regardless.

Okay cool. I only ask because I felt like I saw a wave of pretty positive reviews of Rise, bought it, then saw a lot of negative response to it, though not so much that it was bad as that it was a letdown compared to World. I was just curious if I needed to temper expectations or something like that, because the response was kind of confusing to someone new to the series.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay cool. I only ask because I felt like I saw a wave of pretty positive reviews of Rise, bought it, then saw a lot of negative response to it, though not so much that it was bad as that it was a letdown compared to World. I was just curious if I needed to temper expectations or something like that, because the response was kind of confusing to someone new to the series.

Rise is a fantastic mon hun game, though it didn't grab me personally as hard as World (my first MH game) did for a few reasons. Some of the reasons can't even really be blamed on the entire content of the game itself, the initial release lacking a solid story end point initially made my interest dip and the length of time it took for them to come out with the next bits also affected it. Then Valstrax came out and suddenly I need to grind 50 ranks to see it when other cool games are coming out and... eh.

I enjoyed my 100+ hours in Rise, but it'll never come close to the 530 I put in World though those statistics are def influenced by a bias towards my first MH game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nah Rise is real hecking good in itself and has a ton of content It’s just in a bit of a lull now because they’re using the old event format where you won’t see any considerable additions to the game until the expansion hits next year while World took a game as a service approach and did bigger (relatively) content drops throughout the year in addition to the expansion.

I mean I joke about Rise being super dead but I already have like 400 hours in it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Each successive recent entry seems to be focused on making the game more accessible. So going Rise to World to GU depending on just how much MH you want is a great path.

I started with World and then went back to GU, then did Iceborne and it was great.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It's also worth mentioning that Rise has a bigger roster than vanilla World did and a far, far, better endgame than hunting the same 4 Tempered Elders for decos over and over again.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I wouldnt say rise is bad just that it didnt grab me the same way world did.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's also worth mentioning that Rise has a bigger roster than vanilla World did and a far, far, better endgame than hunting the same 4 Tempered Elders for decos over and over again.

You also had access to all the tier 2s if you wanted to efficiently deco farm. The tier 3s had much higher chance to drop streamstones anyway, which made getting decos even harder.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Rise was my first Monster Hunter and I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay and the content I got out of it. There are still tasks I could do but Im just keeping it to the weekly provided quests now to prevent burn out. Not saying I wouldn't love to hunt new monsters or variants, but Im not expecting that unless we get an expansion or a big content remix ala GU.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rise Ultimate is guaranteed, can't wait to see what G rank combat looks like with the toolset available already. Plus I assume they'll add new wirebug moves in the expac.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do we think Rise is going to come to PC at some point? I seem to recall that being on the table.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MarcusSA posted:

Do we think Rise is going to come to PC at some point? I seem to recall that being on the table.

They confirmed it around Rise's release, it's probably coming Spring 2022.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

They confirmed it around Rise's release, it's probably coming Spring 2022.

Ok awesome thanks!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

As others have said, Rise is great, a lot of the negative responses are from MH diehards who burned through it and are mad that after the first 100 hours there isn't extra grindy content to keep them busy for another 500 hours.

I think World feels more engaging/immersive, but Rise feels more fluid and also respects the player's time much more.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

monhun has a uhhh "legacy" of extremely grindy endgame content, it wasn't just world. anyone remember expeditions in mh4u?

honestly it's not such a bad thing to be able to go through a game and just be Done with it. just because i don't play rise anymore doesn't mean it wasn't a great time

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm way late to the rocket dragon party, I fought my first one ever in rise this morning.

Rad monster, super fun, would get juggled and exploded into oblivion again.

Hot take: Bring back abyssal Laggy

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've finally made it back up to HR missions in my MH:World new save, the one where I'm not using the super OP Defender armor and weapons. I don't know if it can be overstated how crippling the Defender stuff can be to someone who's never played a MH game before - I waltzed through the main game the first time through, I didn't have to think about weaknesses or strengths of armor/weapons, I didn't have to even ponder the skills and how they worked, and unless I was incredibly unlucky or lazy, I didn't faint in any of the quests because my armor was so good that even big hits barely dented me.

All that being said, using the Defender set taught me how NOT to play the game.

So after loading up a new game and ignoring the Defender set, that forced me to actually pay attention to strengths/weaknesses. I went on some quests and fainted, and had to reassess my weapons and armor and strategy because two hits from a Rathalos or Negrigante would outright murder me. I paid more attention to the optional quests, which unlocked a quest to hunt a Kirin I didn't know existed - which I still haven't beaten yet. I'm thinking I need some HR lightning resist armor to fight that guy. Can Elder Dragons be caught like regular monsters? I was a dope and brought a shock trap and only after I placed it down in front of the sleeping Kirin that I realized why that was the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. I guess I'll need to use a net trap or something.

Anyway, I'm still playing MH:World and having an absolute blast running around and searching all the areas in High Rank now, and salivating over all the new armor sets - especially the Zorah Magdaros set. That is sick looking.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Elder Dragons cannot be captured regardless of the trap type you use, sorry to say. You'll just have to defeat that Kirin the old fashioned way. :black101:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Alxprit posted:

Elder Dragons cannot be captured regardless of the trap type you use, sorry to say. You'll just have to defeat that Kirin the old fashioned way. :black101:

Excellent, thanks. I won't waste any resources/time on worrying about that now.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I like World's LR/HR, unskippable cutscenes and all. It's fun to come back to LR and whomp on the lower level monsters even after you know how to play the game. There's a lot of charm to World's writing.

I usually start a new save when learning a new weapon, just to get that progression without all the cool armor and skills already at hand.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I spent like an hour yesterday sorting through armor and decos to build a set to fight Alatreon and then spent the entire god damned afternoon banging my head against the wall before I finally managed to clear the special assignment and open the event quest. gently caress that dragon. However, with 430 hours played in World, I finally got my first attack +4 deco from him! I don't actually run attack + in any builds in favor of agitator secret but whatever!

How bad is Fatalis compared to Alatreon? Is it the same kind of high pressure, always attacking elder dragon, or more where you have to watch out for the big stuff, like Namielle?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NeurosisHead posted:

I spent like an hour yesterday sorting through armor and decos to build a set to fight Alatreon and then spent the entire god damned afternoon banging my head against the wall before I finally managed to clear the special assignment and open the event quest. gently caress that dragon. However, with 430 hours played in World, I finally got my first attack +4 deco from him! I don't actually run attack + in any builds in favor of agitator secret but whatever!

How bad is Fatalis compared to Alatreon? Is it the same kind of high pressure, always attacking elder dragon, or more where you have to watch out for the big stuff, like Namielle?

It's both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NeurosisHead posted:

Fatalis is definitely the former and the latter. It hits fast, it hits hard, and you only have 30 minutes to kill it. Be prepared to cart a lot, as the fight is a learning experience of Fatalis's patterns and getting used to its attacks. The good news is that there's no mechanic like Escaton Judgement that Alatreon has which will dictate your build to a large degree, though it is highly recommended to get at least one head break on Fatty.

Most of all have fun with the fight, it's the penultimate showdown for World/IB and the reward for overcoming it is worth it.