Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do you get more stealth options? Because it feels pretty barebones. I'm still on the tutorial I think, next objective is to find some scientist lady and find out how to keep stuff between loops

Also the gunplay feels kinda bad

Setting and story are really cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

Do you get more stealth options? Because it feels pretty barebones. I'm still on the tutorial I think, next objective is to find some scientist lady and find out how to keep stuff between loops

There are both invisibility and teleportation slabs. Also infusing a good Spiker can help.

Is the order that you get Colt clothes randomized? Besides being fun more dressup options is my main draw.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Is the order that you get Colt clothes randomized? Besides being fun more dressup options is my main draw.

Level 23, here is what I got

Started with the 2 blue body paint one

Started with the bling sparkle suit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

Be aware when you unlock Infusion you only get whatever gun you currently have equipped for free, not your entire loadout. Everything else you gotta infuse yourself in subsequent loops. So if you got something good that run, make sure you're holding it.

edit: Actually just musing on the loadout page; What do you think the odds are explosives started out as a choice of the three and at some point got consolidated into those neat toggleable sapper charges?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Are the invasions supposed to be insanely frequent? I just finished the tutorial and I'm supposed to go to the scientist to learn about the infusions now and I get invaded every single run as soon as I start. The just make a beeline to the tunnel exit and so far they all have been so insanely laggy that I had no chance to actually fight back. Is this the normal invasion experience? If that's the case I'm going to turn it off :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently I have some 0.1% achievement "Clean Sweep" to kill everyone in an area and escape; wasn't even trying to do that, but apparently did.

edit: On this one map I turned on these satellite dish things that appears to summon forth (seemingly) endless enemies. And also maybe shoot at them? It was really confusing. They just constant triggered combat and even if I killed everyone more guys would come. I died twice to it (once from my own poison gas bullet hitting some hard-to-see object right in front of me) before deciding to stop trying to fight them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware when you unlock Infusion you only get whatever gun you currently have equipped for free, not your entire loadout. Everything else you gotta infuse yourself in subsequent loops. So if you got something good that run, make sure you're holding it.

edit: Actually just musing on the loadout page; What do you think the odds are explosives started out as a choice of the three and at some point got consolidated into those neat toggleable sapper charges?

I lucked out and happened to have my only purple gun at the time, a nail-gun with "increased damage to tagged/focused enemies" equipped.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 18, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Krogort posted:

Level 23, here is what I got

Started with the 2 blue body paint one

Started with the bling sparkle suit
I got other outfits for Colt and I'm an earlier level so it seems it's randomized.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Does the machete do actual damage in terms of numbers or is it just an instant kill? Same with headshots, because I'm imagining ways to take advantage of the Stone Wall trinkets.

I think it chunks damage, but has a few triggers for instakill, like if they are unaware of you. If it's just your machete versus like 5 elementalists, it can seem to take 3+ swipes sometimes to get the kill, but that may be because of dodging and weaving and other hitboxes moving about.

100% of my Julianna kills have been machete, I'm not Uncler Aimsley and I just prefer melee approach. If you catch them from behind while they're crouched, seems like an instant kill. Actually, if they're crouched in general and you aren't, I wanna say you got the stab advantage. If the Colt survives or reacts in time, I've seen it take a few swipes, but it also kind of feels like I'm just trying to get the sweet spot close and centered enough on them, if they're hopping or running around. If it's not instakilling, I think it still chunks damage. I took a few swipes at a guy who saw me coming a little late, but then he dashed away and a few seconds later I think he died from minor fall or gas damage with low HP from my attempted assasination.

Colt seems invincible during his own stealth-kill animation. I took several perfect swings at a colt who was crouch with his back to me, to the point I thought maybe I was disconnected or lagging, but they were just backstabbing the hangar lady and as soon as she was dead, it let me play my assasination cutscene. It didn't show colt doing anything to her while he was backstabbing, from my perspective it was an idle Colt crouched behind her and she suddenly died.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lol, I was just macheting around and I still had whatever default smg they give you and they made me infuse that, I assumed there was no choice and you always infused that starter gun as a tutorial.

I honestly rarely use my grenades, maybe because there's no button, gotta sacrifice left hand for a moment to fire one off. I've also never used the alternate modes. I could see them making it a choice at some point but couldn't find a gameplay mechanic to justify different choices. I kind of wish they were just in-game objects like the bottles or TNT. Sprinkled around levels as an optional thing to toss or ignore.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 18, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The more I play the invasions the more poor design decisions I see and get annoyed with. This really should have been a race of 2 assassins to kill the visionary, then to hack the tunnel antenna, then to escape the level, all the while killing the opponent gets either player an early win. Give both 3 lives just like Colt has now and boom, that would have been a hit multiplayer mode.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

While I respect your opinion, I'm gonna politely disagree with it.

Unrelated, but any game in which the protagonist is perfectly in synch with my own reactions is good

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/857238250283859968/888856100710006814/Colt_in_synch.mp4

I actually love you can also hear Colt's yelps and reactions to getting hit as Julianna when you invade him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's fun when you guys find one another, boring and annoying when you don't. As Colt, you may be so paranoid about Julianna ambush you don't really make progress or make it very slowly while still risking ambush. As Julianna, unless they're being sloppy or rushing, you're just left wandering blind or patrolling the antennae... which takes 2 seconds to hack and can be done from a distance and without alerting anyone. I think in general the AI could have some longer line of sight or wider cones or be able to hear. Maybe any kill, even stealth ones elementalists don't see, pings Julianna. Or every minute it pings Colt's current location. It's easy to scramble far away from any given point on a moment's notice, so it doesn't immediately expose the Colt player, but there definitely needs to be something that forces a confrontation between the two players.

Also maybe give Julianna more credit for a single or double kill, needing the full triple-(any they lost before you showed up) to count as a win and not a draw or something else feels odd. Especially since if they die right after you because you either alerted the guards, or laid down poison gas, or set-up some turrets -- you don't get any credit for it.

Has anyone experienced the slowing effects some guns have doing anything? I've sprayed a couple Colts, but between them having dash, and being kind of far away, couldn't tell if they slowed at all, or if it was so minor to not bother.

edit: lol, I just realized that going into menu doesn't at all count as a pause. This death brought to me by Posting.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, that's what I mean. For Colt invasions are cool because they're something additional to do to what he's already doing on the level, it's a bonus attraction and some bonus tension.

For Julianna it's full of long matchmaking wait times, running around with no clue where to look if Colt decides to just wait it out or camps somewhere or has upgraded invisibility and literally can't be found or the game bugs out and he's waiting for you to leave safely inside the tunnel. These 4 aren't even as bad as games where Colt simply quits after all the waiting and you get 0 points for your trouble. Then there are a couple of games every now and then when both players actually actively participate and it's very fun. Giving both players same objectives and thus a competition incentive would have fixed this for Juliannas.

EDIT: I wrote this and the previous post while waiting in matchmaking. Still waiting lol.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 18, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just had a guy punk out after I dunked him twice

"Colt ran away to his little tunnels"

:laffo:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Infinitum posted:

Just had a guy punk out after I dunked him twice

"Colt ran away to his little tunnels"

:laffo:

Had this happen to me earlier as well, I had a laugh. it's as good as a kill to me anyway, the player had to give up on their objective. Like a coward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wanted to invade last night to warm up before playing and quit the queue after 10
minutes.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

my matchmaking time as Julianna usually varies on time of day. I usually just have a video to watch on the second monitor or browser the forums, pops fairly quickly if you aren't looking at it. Anecdotally though the first two days were kind of sparse, but now it feels pretty easy to pop into an invasion.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's time for CharlieChunnel's Ricky Jay Memorial Deathloop Design!

This is a NG+ thing, probably best on non-multi. It's a work in progress so if you have any better ideas, by all means, throw them at me. For best results, do not reset Colt's progress via the menu. If you want to start fresh, simply recycle as much of Colt's kit as you want before starting a new loop. The only things you'll be unable to get rid of are whatever you ended your very first loop with (likely double-jump and a common LIMP-10). You will also have no way of manually removing your Respite slab.

***************************'

Chunnel's Ricky Jay Memorial Deathloop Design

The object of this Design is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Deathloop in order to shake up the gameplay.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If one effect is canceled by another, good for you! If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each phase or draw a new hand with each loop is up to you.

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use Havoc slab
Spades- Cannot use Aether slab
Diamonds- Cannot use Karnesis slab
Hearts- Cannot use Nexus slab

Cards:
Ace- SPARTA SPECIAL: Any idle enemy seen on a ledge or cliff must be kicked off to their death. Failure to do so means you go off the cliff instead.
2- Any Visionary, including Julianna, must die by the blade. Failure means you kill yourself once.
3- Cannot use Fizzpop machines.
4- Cannot use Hack tool on gun placements / cameras.
5- SIMPLE COLT MODE: Cannot use Fourpounder, Pepper Mill, Scoped Rifle, or Automatic Shotgun.
6- SUBSISTENCE MODE: You must start without weapons beyond the machete.
7- You are limited to one weapon trinket per equipped weapon.
8- DEATH(LOOP) WISH MODE: See an enemy? Rush them.
9- PLAIN JANE MODE: Cannot use Gold or Purple-caliber weapons.
10- Got a slab? Nice. Guess what: You don't get to use any of its upgrades.
Jack- Cannot use Double Jump trinket.
Queen- Cannot use Shift slab.
King- BUSHIDO SPECIAL: If you are spotted (red status), you must kill yourself once. Does not apply to being spotted by Julianna.

On drawing exactly 21, you're enrolled in the MIDSOMMAR SPECIAL: If you die once as Colt, you are honor bound to immediately throw yourself from the closest high ledge repeatedly until the loop resets. (Yes, this includes the alert from a falling enemy. An ace-king 21 will compel you to boot an enemy to their death and then follow them. That's literally the hand that fate dealt you.)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
First invasion of the day, I spawn in and do a running jump off a rooftop, forget that I don't have the airborne upgrade as Juliana and immediately fall to my death. Enjoy the free loot Colt

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Wow, it has been a long, long time since I hated a game's endings as much as I hate this game's endings. After all that teasing and buildup about the nature of the loop, how long it's been going on, and the spoilery stuff Egon is researching you get absolutely nothing in terms of answers, world-building or lore. It just...ends with a 15 second scene roll credits (although one of the credit sequences has some extra silly dialog). I adored Arx/Dishonored/Prey but this is just bad.

I'm unironically kind of cross over how bad Deathloop stuck the landing. Mass Effect 3 ended more gracefully.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

Wow, it has been a long, long time since I hated a game's endings as much as I hate this game's endings. After all that teasing and buildup about the nature of the loop, how long it's been going on, and the spoilery stuff Egon is researching you get absolutely nothing in terms of answers, world-building or lore. It just...ends with a 15 second scene roll credits (although one of the credit sequences has some extra silly dialog). I adored Arx/Dishonored/Prey but this is just bad.

I'm unironically kind of cross over how bad Deathloop stuck the landing. Mass Effect 3 ended more gracefully.

It's good actually

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also the ending gives you the biggest fuckin lore wink in all of games history

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also the ending gives you the biggest fuckin lore wink in all of games history

What would that be? The dishonored pistols easter eggs?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yea

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Broken Cog posted:

What would that be? The dishonored pistols easter eggs?

I honestly didn't read that as "the biggest lore wink" because it seemed to be so nonsensical that it has to be just a winking easter egg. Dishonored's world is filled with witches, magic, gods and weird tesla-tech. Deathloop doesn't build on top of any of that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just wrapped this bad boy up. What's the lore reason behind Me killing Juliana at night at the party, then riding the rocket and still finding her in the loop?

Also, are there different viable assassination plans to win? Mine was:

Morning: Kill Harriet, sabotage fireworks.
Noon: Sabotage Egor's device.
Afternoon: Kill Fia and Charlie (is there a way to escape after you trigger the drowning? I just had to die and warp out lol)
Night: At the party the sabotaged fireworks kill Frank, then I kill Egor, Wenjie, Aleksis, an invading Juliana, then I took the rocket to the end

Cool game, but it has the same problem Prey had where eventually after tracking through the same area over and over again I got bored and just murdered/ran past everything. Also, it gives you all these powers, but you only really need to interact with Stealth and Blink. Like, what's the point of Nexus when everything instantly dies anyway? In terms of style/presentation it's probably best-in-class imo, don't think I've ever played a game this slick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate that you can't deactivate mines and tripwires youve hacked. Trying to power some generators... but the process of powering the generator will explode these mines. I hacked them to pass safely, but doing that can't turn them off. Gonna retry later without hacking em, oh man i just realized i didnt try just holding f to deactivate them without prompt hmm, maybe I goofed it not remembering that. In any case, shout out to the invading Julianna who didn't seem to realize she was jumping through trip wires I had just hacked. Ultimate jokes on me, I mail ordered myself something for the level and at that time of day it was not needed and too late to do its job lol.

I also realized I need to revisit the complex at night again, just because when i killed Egon, i poked around at his machine but changed the dial before hitting the button or making note of the number lol. oops

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

fadam posted:

What's the lore reason behind Me killing Juliana at night at the party, then riding the rocket and still finding her in the loop?

The Juliannas that show up to kill you are alternate timeline Juliannas, just like the other Colts you meet. The "real" Julianna was at the Core all along.

fadam posted:

Afternoon: Kill Fia and Charlie (is there a way to escape after you trigger the drowning? I just had to die and warp out lol)

You can hack the door on the same floor that you couldn't enter coming down, then just climb back out the shaft.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Just wrapped this bad boy up. What's the lore reason behind Me killing Juliana at night at the party, then riding the rocket and still finding her in the loop?

Also, are there different viable assassination plans to win? Mine was:

Morning: Kill Harriet, sabotage fireworks.
Noon: Sabotage Egor's device.
Night: At the party the sabotaged fireworks kill Frank, then I kill Egor, Wenjie, Aleksis, an invading Juliana, then I took the rocket to the end

Cool game, but it has the same problem Prey had where eventually after tracking through the same area over and over again I got bored and just murdered/ran past everything. Also, it gives you all these powers, but you only really need to interact with Stealth and Blink. Like, what's the point of Nexus when everything instantly dies anyway? In terms of style/presentation it's probably best-in-class imo, don't think I've ever played a game this slick.

The Julianas you fight are actually from different loops, like the Coles. You see one get sent out the first time you try to play as her. The 'real' Juliana remains safe because as long as she is it's literally impossible to break the loop.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You escape the flood trap by going around to the room next to the flooding switch. There’s a hack-enabled door to the elevator shaft that only opens for a second or two. Then you have to jump / shift up the shaft.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Getting a Colt with the poison gas gun while you have Steel Lungs and machetting them to death while they are obviously confused out of their mind is pure bliss.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat, can't believe I missed that hackable door.

Is the order I listed the only viable order to win the game?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There is only 1 correct route AFAIK

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

fadam posted:

Is the order I listed the only viable order to win the game?

I can't imagine any other way works, and that's explicitly the route the game wants you to take (as evidenced by the final "quest line"). Any other way runs into some problem or another (e.g. you can't spend your afternoon both killing Wenjie in the Complex and Fia and Charlie in Fristad, and she doesn't appear any other time except if you lure her to the party; you can't kill Charlie any other time since you need to spend your morning in Karl's Bay to kill Harriet and noon at the Complex to sabotage the receiver; etc.).

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I think I figured out the horror witch caused Colt to snap and decide to break the loop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
had to turn the multiplayer off. never has it not been a laggy shitshow where one or both of the players hid in a corner for 15 minutes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

They could remove all the guns and I don't think I would notice. This is very much a machete game.

I had a good time dual wielding the silenced SMG and another SMG that healed me per damage dealt, with big magazines, rate of fire upgrades and the dual wielding stability/aim perks, so I could be quiet and also nuke visionaries down in a second or two while self-healing as the sitaution called for

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Getting a lot of people dropping connection after their 2nd death during an invasion. Are they just pulling their data cable? I mean I get it, getting sniped in the head from across the map by an aethered Julianna isn't great but you signed up for it.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 19, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you quit the game or go back to the main menu it lets you restart the level.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I honestly didn't read that as "the biggest lore wink" because it seemed to be so nonsensical that it has to be just a winking easter egg. Dishonored's world is filled with witches, magic, gods and weird tesla-tech. Deathloop doesn't build on top of any of that.

i kinda assumed they were in the same universe. its just like 100 or so years after the events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KillHour posted:

If you quit the game or go back to the main menu it lets you restart the level.

Scumlooping :argh: