Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol well this was already gonna happen cause POs royally hosed up basically all the trim, like dig this:

Incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
nice name, post and photo combo on that, Johnny truant.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

That Works posted:

This is worth a link to the thread OP or something. Ton of great info here imo.
I had the same thought

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol well this was already gonna happen cause POs royally hosed up basically all the trim, like dig this:

This is also worth being in the OP lmao, just loving iconic display of PO disdain for their own place.

spf3million posted:

I had the same thought

:hfive:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have four stumps in my back yard from dead pine trees, only about 8-12 in diameter each. My neighbor was having some trees taken out and they had a separate stump contractor so I went over to talk to him. $100 to kill all the stumps once he was done next door? Sold.

Now I had four stumps in my yard.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So the window box/frame/whatever you call it has a big crack starting halfway up that runs up to below the roof and then snakes around the side.

Is this just a matter of buying some caulk and sealing it all up or is this a more serious problem that needs a professional to look at? If it just needs to be sealed what kind of caulk?

This corner of the house recently had some foundation movement and had work done to level it out so I'm assuming it's from stress from either the initial imbalance or releveling.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It's probably new settling from the foundation work. I'd try to find an inconspicuous section and remove some of the old caulk. Looks like it could be a pretty big gap to caulk over. More than 3/8 and you'll want a backer rod.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ready to pour the backyard on Monday

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I have a floor to ceiling window that faces my deck. The wood inside the house that the window braces against has bowed (?) or something, anyway, there's a gap between the window and the frame. Should I seal this up with caulk to allow some flexibility, or should I use glazing putty or something firm? My instinct is to use glazing putty but I thought I'd check if there's any opinions here.

The window:

The gap:
'
It's maybe 1/4 - 3/8 inch at its widest.

Another window, without the gap between the window and the wood:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

One of our metal downspout corners had a small hole in it letting a steady stream of water out. What's the right way to patch this?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there cheap tools that can measure/show CO levels in your house? I found a couple at Home Depot but they were 100-140 bucks, and at that point I know why we wouldn't just get a nest protect for the same price (assuming that actually shows CO levels in the app, and doesn't just alarm). We have CO alarms installed on both floors and I'm assuming they work, but we're doing the first startup of our gas furnace since buying this house and I was hoping there's something like a 20 dollar handheld I can get for this.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

Are there cheap tools that can measure/show CO levels in your house? I found a couple at Home Depot but they were 100-140 bucks, and at that point I know why we wouldn't just get a nest protect for the same price (assuming that actually shows CO levels in the app, and doesn't just alarm). We have CO alarms installed on both floors and I'm assuming they work, but we're doing the first startup of our gas furnace since buying this house and I was hoping there's something like a 20 dollar handheld I can get for this.

This is about the cheapest I know of: https://defenderdetectors.com/ll6170.html

The US has some stupid laws about CO detectors - they can only alert above a certain threshold, so you'll never find a cheap one that actually gives you low level alerts.

Decent HVAC techs should have the equipment to check this, or you can consider calling your (non-emergency number!) fire department and they should have the equipment to test. Just make sure you don't go "I think my furnace is putting out CO, or you'll get the full lights and siren response"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Nest protect just alarms and doesn't show levels (unless they have a new version that does) FYI

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So you're actually looking for a CO sniffer not an alarm?

Searching CO sniffer on Amazon brings up a $30 knockoff handheld or there's a Klein for $100.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

I have one of these plugged in near my furnace, might be what you're looking for: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00002N86A/

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sous Videodrome posted:

Any suggestions for a good vine on the back trellis? Grapes would be nice but I don't want to attract rats. Something native to the PNW would be best.

Pretty sure there's a number of clematis species that are native up there. The horticulture thread might have some other ideas.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I have one of these plugged in near my furnace, might be what you're looking for: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00002N86A/

Thanks! Does it actually show measurements, too? I looked into it after someone mentioned it above, but even the nest protect just lists the last measurements that set it off.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Demoing my small bathroom shower to replace the pan, I discover it is held on by two drywall screws and a heap of caulk. They also ran the greenboard over the flange to the base.

Never feel bad about your DIY work, there’s always a worse ‘professional’ out there charging people for work.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

Thanks! Does it actually show measurements, too? I looked into it after someone mentioned it above, but even the nest protect just lists the last measurements that set it off.

You can only see current and highest recorded readings (which for me are 0, and 0). You'll probably need one of the $100+ devices for anything more granular.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Sirotan posted:

You can only see current and highest recorded readings (which for me are 0, and 0). You'll probably need one of the $100+ devices for anything more granular.

Current reading is all i'm looking for so I think that'll work perfectly. Like I said, we already have a CO alarm on each floor, but I think they only go off after a certain level and time, but this should be enough to show if we have small fluctuations. I can leave it plugged in next to the water heater and furnace when I'm not using it around the house.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 19, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Johnny Truant posted:

Ding ding ding, that isn't a plinth block, it's just one of the circular accents that're supposed to be placed in the upper corners of doors! And the other tall piece is just a weird corner.. accent? thing that they put in random locations. No, not every doorway corner has one, in case you were wondering. :sigh:
Judging by the angles on the back, that tall piece is supposed to be for inside corners, not outside, and it would have saved you the bother of mitering the trim on either side of it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

Current reading is all i'm looking for so I think that'll work perfectly. Like I said, we already have a CO alarm on each floor, but I think they only go off after a certain level and time, but this should be enough to show if we have small fluctuations. I can leave it plugged in next to the water heater and furnace when I'm not using it around the house.

This guy kinda started annoying me - but it's a good overview of wtf the CO standards are in the US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_R9NaTRVFE. That Kiddie one linked above is not going to tell you about low levels (it's no different then the CO ones you already have)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PageMaster posted:

I got an airthings plus to monitor radon and it does co2 as well, along with tracking over days/weeks/months. maybe a bit spendy but it works good?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Pulled wire in conduit for the first time in my life. I feel like it was here on the forums that I read a tip about putting lubricant on the wires to make them pull easier. Went from drat near kinking the fish tape to it flying through. Was able to pull a 25' run solo by laying out the wire nicely.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Random question: how precisely are blinds that are made to order cut? Do they (hopefully) have some tolerance built in? We were told to measure window opening to the eight of an inch and we get a million different measurements depending on any number of things (height or angle we're looking at it, what the paint thickness is like in that section, how perfectly straight the tape measure is, etc); we can spend another hour fine-tuning and debating between 46 & 3/8" vs 46& 5/8" when we re-measure, or I can do 46.5" which we also sometimes measure, and call it a day. Can I assume the company (blindsgalore in this case) isn't fitting to literally touching the window edges and we're fine to just go?

kitten emergency posted:

I got an airthings plus to monitor radon and it does co2 as well, along with tracking over days/weeks/months. maybe a bit spendy but it works good?

We still have our airthings wave from when we lived in Denver and unfortunately it doesn't look like it has any of the extras yours does...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

Random question: how precisely are blinds that are made to order cut? Do they (hopefully) have some tolerance built in? We were told to measure window opening to the eight of an inch and we get a million different measurements depending on any number of things (height or angle we're looking at it, what the paint thickness is like in that section, how perfectly straight the tape measure is, etc); we can spend another hour fine-tuning and debating between 46 & 3/8" vs 46& 5/8" when we re-measure, or I can do 46.5" which we also sometimes measure, and call it a day. Can I assume the company (blindsgalore in this case) isn't fitting to literally touching the window edges and we're fine to just go?

https://www.blindsgalore.com/measuring

I think you're probably overthinking this. Measure at the top, bottom, and middle. The smallest measurement is what you should use. They will deduct prob 1/4" per side. All these places are just resellers of the same two manufacturers and they will all replace at least a couple mis-measured shades for free.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PageMaster posted:

We still have our airthings wave from when we lived in Denver and unfortunately it doesn't look like it has any of the extras yours does...

I did blinds.com and they came pretty true, everything has about a half inch gap on either side though.

re: airthings, I believe it’s the newer wave that includes co2, the wave plus.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

https://www.blindsgalore.com/measuring

I think you're probably overthinking this. Measure at the top, bottom, and middle. The smallest measurement is what you should use. They will deduct prob 1/4" per side. All these places are just resellers of the same two manufacturers and they will all replace at least a couple mis-measured shades for free.

This is what we did. The key is being pretty level in the measurements. Also, after the first order we paid the $75 for measuring as well. Some person stopped by and measured out every window in the house in about the time it took us to fret over 1.

We always paid for installation. Another $100 or $150 for unlimited windows installed? All day long. Takes them similar raito of time to install and test them as it would take me to fret over 1. We've done this 3 times and it's always been great. Same guy too, I think he owns the region and just busts them out one or two days a week as a side gig.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a circa-2004 Frigidaire electric clothes dryer that the previous owner left behind. It takes 70-80 minutes on high to dry a load of laundry. That seems excessive; aside from cleaning out the exhaust duct and lint trap, any ideas on what the cause might be? Or is it just the reality of a cheap, nearly 20-year old dryer? The clothes get dry eventually, so I'm not looking to replace it as long as it keeps working.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If it gets hot, but takes forever to dry it's probably an airflow issue. Cleaning the exhaust duct will probably resolve the issue.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My new house has an interior dryer vent.
Like the hose goes to a fancy bucket with a screen on it. Just sits next to/on the dryer.

Why?

Why would you do this?

You could say for moisture in winter.
But it seems like there are better ways, like the whole house humidifier already installed with the HVAC.

Previous owner, I do not understand you.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I've seen this done in situations where the original build was not designed for a dryer and it's not easily possible to duct to and exterior location without doing a lot of demo work. It works, but it's not an optimal solution.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

toplitzin posted:

Like the hose goes to a fancy bucket with a screen on it. Just sits next to/on the dryer.

Cheaper than running ductwork. My house has the dryer vent running through corrugated foil ducts into the crawlspace. :(

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Is your dryer electric or gas?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

PremiumSupport posted:

I've seen this done in situations where the original build was not designed for a dryer and it's not easily possible to duct to and exterior location without doing a lot of demo work.

One house I saw with an interior dryer vent had asbestos siding so cutting a new hole for ductwork might legitimately have been the worst solution.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

csammis posted:

One house I saw with an interior dryer vent had asbestos siding so cutting a new hole for ductwork might legitimately have been the worst solution.

Asbestos siding is not all that difficult to work with safely for something like installing a vent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tell me more! I have a shower room that desperately needs an external vent, but the wall is 3" thick, the exterior has both asbestos shingles and lead paint, and the space between ceiling and floor of the room above is narrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tell me more! I have a shower room that desperately needs an external vent, but the wall is 3" thick, the exterior has both asbestos shingles and lead paint, and the space between ceiling and floor of the room above is narrow.

The easiest way to work on asbestos safely is when it's wet. Use an appropriate drill and bit and keep the entire thing hosed down while drilling the vent hole.

The whole "indiscriminately hose it down" thing is why it's so much easier to work on outside.

For lead paint inside I'd probably go with chemical removal in the area that I needed to disturb.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

toplitzin posted:

Why?

Why would you do this?

You could say for moisture in winter.
But it seems like there are better ways, like the whole house humidifier already installed with the HVAC.

Mine ran the duct through the floor into the dirt-floored crawlspace. At some point it had a ladies' nylon leg section rubber-banded to the end, presumably as a lint trap. Which, based on the appearance of the interior of the crawlspace when we bought it in 1992, had failed during the Carter administration.

It looked like the Easter Bunny exploded in there. Took years to clean it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I insulated my house with the blown-in kit from Home Depot. The exterior is (from outside in): 6-coats paint (bottom 4 are lead-based); asbestos siding; 3/4" dutch lap, 3/4" tongue & groove sheathing. Used a diamond hole saw to cut the siding, then a 1/4" smaller diameter hole saw to cut through the sheathing.

As Motronic said: if you are concerned about the dust, wear a good mask or respirator, and wet the area down. Once you get through the siding - which won't take long - it's all wood from there on in.

On the inside, tape a paper bag underneath & across the area where you'll be cutting your hole, it should catch everything.

I didn't take any precautions, but I'm an old bastard & don't care.