Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

tell me you’ve never experienced real cold weather without telling me you’ve never experienced real cold weather

it hits -10 F for a week or two here every year, that's as far as i care to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it hits -10 F for a week or two here every year, that's as far as i care to go.

our first snow was last night

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Fool posted:

tell me you’ve never experienced real cold weather without telling me you’ve never experienced real cold weather

"oh neat they've got a plug on the front of the car to plug stuff into!" - rotorwife

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
when it gets mega cold cold air comes out of my outlets lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the right way to think about a neural network is "words i say to try to increase my funding"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hahah i remember this from my milwaukee days

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

one of my favorite “it’s loving cold” memories growing up was it being cold enough outside for frost to form on the heads of the sheetrock screws inside

Apr 7, 2003

I love those 'living off the grid alaska' style shows because they always start with a lilly white family saying "we wanted to move to, uh, a small town that shares our values" and you know exactly what they want to say but can't.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

I love those 'living off the grid alaska' style shows because they always start with a lilly white family saying "we wanted to move to, uh, a small town that shares our values" and you know exactly what they want to say but can't.

they can say it now thats why they moved there

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my dad is obsessed with these shows. it's all he watches

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the republic of palm colored people

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Doomsday preppers is the funniest poo poo ever.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

'off the grid' in these contexts can easily mean 'down a mile of road'

i think if you can still drive to walmart in a reasonable timeframe you're kind of playacting at rugged individualism.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

my general impression of these people is you don't need more beans and firearms, you need some therapy and anxiety medication

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm a fan of Maine Cabin Masters, even though they mean the new england meaning of "cabin", i.e. "a house in the woods" and not necessarily off any sort of grid.

Their accents are great and they seem to genuinely enjoy working with each other

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i need to buy a loving rice cooker already

every. single. time i try to cook in a pot it's sticky, clumpy and garbage. even tried the finger trick. nothing.

Zojirushi has some decent ones under $100 it looks like - i could probably go cheaper too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Fool posted:

i experience it all the time and agree with that post, flannel rules and i love the deep freeze of Manitoba

taking a huge breath of cold air is the best goddamn feeling. going into a nice warm house feels great too.

we're going camping in a couple weeks and the nights might drop down to like 5c which i think is like 41f - cant wait \m/

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Vintersorg posted:

every. single. time i try to cook in a pot it's sticky, clumpy and garbage. even tried the finger trick. nothing.

Zojirushi has some decent ones under $100 it looks like - i could probably go cheaper too

Thank you for your bravery Vintersorg, and getting me to admit I too need to stop the bullshit and just get the good machine

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

if you want fancy poo poo like timers and keeping warm and gaskets you can't go wrong with zoji

if you just want to put rice and water in a pot and forget about it get the cheapest one butan one you can find

Apr 7, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

We have one of these and it's pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Tatung-TAC-6G-Multi-Functional-Cooker-White/dp/B003O7OW2I

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

nice, ill check the Canadian site for that brand too :) thanks!

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

you can get a perfectly adequate for way cheaper. just pick an aroma one in the size you like and if you need any programs but "cook rice"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Vintersorg posted:

rice cooker is like the ONE kitchen gadget that's worth it. just buy a rice cooker

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Do you wash your rice before using it? That's been about the only time i've made gross rice.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

rice cooker is like the ONE kitchen gadget that's worth it. just buy a rice cooker

capitalism keeps reinventing the george foreman grill and i love seeing it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004S575/

this is mine and ive run over 200 batches of rice in it and its perfect. it doesnt sing songs or contribute to tiktok videos but it cooks rice

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PokeJoe posted:

wow I've seen her selling penis enlargement!
So did it work?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i miss this show dearly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

So did it work?

no!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there was that hosed up reality show about the alaskan family with like 37 kids that lived on boats and stuff that was very much in that vein

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ultravoices posted:

the republic of palm

:allears:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

just get the decent zojirushi, i got mine 16 years ago still works fine

its worth it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if you use it every day saving sub benjos on something is not worth a quality/warranty guarantee

this is the boots story

get the good rice cooker

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

F

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my favorite thing about the Alaska reality shows is that the vast majority of them are filmed less than an hour away from a grocery store.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
1. get rice cooker
2. if cannot get rice cooker, here's how to troubleshoot sticky clumpy rice:
a. did you stir it while cooking? don't do that
b. did you have the heat too high? if it's too high it'll boil hard and stir itself, don't do that
c. did you wash it? most peeps do wash it. you needed to wash it. this applies even if you have a rice cooker
d. did you have the lid on for the entire time? don't fuckin open it. don't peek. time the cook.

Apr 7, 2003

all of these rice rules are complex and arbitrarily draconian.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that basically describes all of cooking

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah, washed it three times today and still - i usually do a rinse in the past but today i did 3 pot fulls of water to rinse before i did the finger trick

and i did bring to a boil before letting it go down to the lowest - it's a gas range though, so maybe too hot?

but gonna get that cooker ordered soon. theres a couple other things i needed off amazon so it's a good time to throw one in

cjs: playing hooky this afternoon as my wife comes back from vancouver at 2pm - not too busy and we have enough janitors looking at poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i melted a hole in my rice cooker when i nudged it too close to my stove