Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Under the new social contract, disparaging Astrology is punishable by the Silent Treatment due to excessive sexist racism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I always thought Sagan was overreacting to astrology when watching Cosmos in the early 2000s, but I guess enough people really just are that goddamned stupid, huh?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Splicer posted:

The F-Slur is "Fratelli"

Too much CO2, not enough CO2, scientists don't know what they're talking about

Uncle Jack, is that you?

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm sure for Sagan it was also personal. 1) Constantly getting confused for an Astrologer is something every Astronomer I've ever met has had a personal frustration with 2) Dude was HUUUUGE into weed and counter-culture which were fellow-travelers for woo ideas like Astrology. That's two big hits.

There's a third part that is more conjecture. The anti-religious establishment energy in the '70s was very much channeled into "new age" and "new religions". Replacing "stupid things people believe because it is what their parents taught them" with "stupid things people believe because ???" is a massive downgrade. Christian and Muslim scholarship gave us the Enlightenment. Scientists who built The Bomb were big into the Gita. What the hell has New Age given us? Plus, Michio Kaku on his path to being a starfucker made a point of making GBS threads on the "levitate the Pentagon" movement and I have to imagine a lot of that was him trying to pander to Sagan. Too bad a sex pest got the nod instead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnlyBans posted:

. Scientists who built The Bomb were big into the Gita.

Astrology not giving us any new scientists seems like a pretty good argument in favor of it now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OnlyBans posted:

Replacing "stupid things people believe because it is what their parents taught them" with "stupid things people believe because ???" is a massive downgrade.

it's still an upgrade since they don't have any big external authority/book to point at as an excuse for bigotry. If an astrology junkie is super racist/sexist/queerphobic/etc they're just racist on their own and not racist because "actually if you interpret this bible passage correctly, god said he hates nonwhites 5000 years ago and jesus only spoke American"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's still an upgrade since they don't have any big external authority/book to point at as an excuse for bigotry. If an astrology junkie is super racist/sexist/queerphobic/etc they're just racist on their own and not racist because "actually if you interpret this bible passage correctly, god said he hates nonwhites 5000 years ago and jesus only spoke American"

That's not really how that works. Like the Qanon Shaman thought of himself as an actual shaman and had written extensively about how the federal and private security suppression of the Delta pipeline protestors was loving terrible

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

christmas boots posted:

The Onion's horoscopes haven't let me down yet.

Nor have Weird Al's.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's not how it actually works though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

chglcu posted:

I always thought Sagan was overreacting to astrology when watching Cosmos in the early 2000s, but I guess enough people really just are that goddamned stupid, huh?

Reading The Demon-Haunted World in 2021 is a harrowing experience

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Heath posted:

I’ve had that book on my shelf for years and just never picked it up. Maybe now’s the time.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

Atheists are the scourge of the internet and that is patient zero.

Good loving god is it insufferable.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I've got a friend who uses astrology as basically a more complex version of flipping a coin to figure out which binary choice you actually wanted to make based on if you're disappointed or relieved, so I don't think it inherently makes your life decisions worse, but there's a lot of people who really want a cheat code to decision making and the logic of what happens to people and they're going to 100% invest in whatever it is, whether it's astrology, pyramid power, fundamentalist religion, or Donald Trump.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OnlyBans posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Demon hunted world is basically the dear muslimina of its day

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

whose terrible rereg are you? Guy Mann?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

christmas boots posted:

The Onion's horoscopes haven't let me down yet.

It's been years since I've read The Onion, but I still think of their old horoscopes some times, they had some great ones.

The Onion posted:

The kind of pressure you'll deal with this week would kill a lesser man, which, unfortunately, is exactly what you are.

You will be faced with the unenviable task of telling somebody that they have lost that loving feeling without breaking into song.

The sight of an elderly man riding a child's merry-go-round in the rain will resonate deeply with you today as a metaphor for absolutely everything.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Badger of Basra posted:

Not a lot of astrology posting itt but it accounts for roughly 99% of the idiots I see on social media, especially because I am gay and mostly use Instagram

PetraCore posted:

I've got a friend who uses astrology as basically a more complex version of flipping a coin to figure out which binary choice you actually wanted to make based on if you're disappointed or relieved, so I don't think it inherently makes your life decisions worse, but there's a lot of people who really want a cheat code to decision making and the logic of what happens to people and they're going to 100% invest in whatever it is, whether it's astrology, pyramid power, fundamentalist religion, or Donald Trump.

Yeah, I'm usually able to avoid a lot of astrology talk, but there's a small subset of the Drag Race fandom that openly speculates on who will win/be favored by RuPaul/have alliances or rivalries with each other/etc. based on the contestants' zodiac signs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Also the real money vs time investment is tarot reading. People pay stupid amounts for a 10 minute chat and the outcome is exactly the same.

Years ago, my girlfriend got a job answering phones for a tarot-themed psychic hotline on the night shift. She was a people person and amazingly good at sussing people out immediately, and she'd picked up enough jargon to sound convincing when doing a tarot reading. And on the night shift, she figured, most of the callers would be tipsy people who saw the TV commercial and decided to call up for a laugh -- and as she'd done some bartending, she knew a bit about keeping drunk people entertained. The job played right to her strengths, paid pretty well, and was even work-from-home. What's not to like?

She lasted one night.

It turns out, most people calling a 1-900 psychic at 2 a.m. weren't terribly interested in mysticism or magic. For the most part, they were just overwhelmed and desperate. Half of them just wanted someone to promise them that things would be okay someday, and the other half wanted someone to make major life decisions for them -- "should I get an abortion or not" was a distressingly common one. (They weren't after counseling or opinions, they just wanted a straight-up yes or no.) She referred a caller to a suicide hotline more than once.

This was not quite the job she thought she had signed up for, and so her first night on that job was also her last.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FFT posted:

I think something got mixed up, apparently I'm a Rho Man?
https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Ro-Man ?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I'm usually able to avoid a lot of astrology talk, but there's a small subset of the Drag Race fandom that openly speculates on who will win/be favored by RuPaul/have alliances or rivalries with each other/etc. based on the contestants' zodiac signs.
God forbid you factor in the contestants' actual personalities instead of their birthdays.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OnlyBans posted:

Demon hunted world is basically the dear muslimina of its day

I would like you to elaborate

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

PetraCore posted:

God forbid you factor in the contestants' actual personalities instead of their birthdays.

Someone was (presumably) paid to write this: "RuPaul's Drag Race: How Kandy Muse's Zodiac Sign Fits Her Personality"

quote:

When fan-favorite contestant Tamisha Iman shared that she thought Kandy is "arrogant," Muse got heated in only a matter of minutes. In true Scorpio fashion, Kandy did not hold back her opinions about Tamisha and engaged in the conflict.

quote:

Unfortunately, the confrontational nature of Muse's Scorpio placement did not mesh well with Denali naming Kandy as the queen who earned the boot.

Drag queens....known for [checks notes] holding back their opinions.

https://screenrant.com/rupaul-drag-race-kandy-muse-zodiac-scorpio-match-personality/

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

OnlyBans posted:

Under the new social contract, disparaging Astrology is punishable by the Silent Treatment due to excessive sexist racism.

This is one of the worst snipes, and posts period, I've ever read

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

This is one of the worst snipes, and posts period, I've ever read

That poster registered three hours ago and has been posting nothing but garbage ever since.

I'm going with... PCOS Bill re-reg.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PetraCore posted:

But you repeat yourself.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Heath posted:

I would like you to elaborate

I imagine someone who has seen that one particularly poorly aged pasage from the preface where Sagan was a grumpy old man about TV could assume that's his tone for the whole book.
I read both Demon Haunted World and Dragons of Eden around the same time ages ago, so I might be heavily blurring the two books, but I recall he was actually pretty sympathetic to how humans came to superstitious explanations of things. Like a "Yeah, the human brain really likes patterns and doesn't like to leave stuff unexplained, so of course we came to silly or wrong conclusions when we lacked the tools to prove otherwise, and it's the duty of modern scientists to make their explanations understandable to the common person."

The world would be a billion times better if the insufferable internet athiests had actually gotten way into Sagan instead of Dawkins in the early 2000's and absorbed Sagan's worldview instead of just using Sagan as a mascot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Guy Males are the worst

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

OnlyBans posted:

Anti-vax and anti-mask propaganda has killed hundreds of thousands over the last year and a half. If you are looking for a scourge of the internet, start with the platforms spreading it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Who is Guy Males? Is that the guy who did Snatch and Lock Stock?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

deoju posted:

Anti-vax and anti-mask propaganda has killed hundreds of thousands over the last year and a half. If you are looking for a scourge of the internet, start with the platforms spreading it.

So we all agree that reddit delenda est

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Guy Males are the worst

Oh, did he rereg again?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

So we all agree that reddit delenda est

I'd start with Facebook, it's what all the old people use.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

one of the worst posts i ever saw was how it made total sense that bernie and pramila jayapal were pro-medicare for all, because they're birth virgos

happy birthday to pramila jayapal btw

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Joey Freshwater posted:

Who is Guy Males? Is that the guy who did Snatch and Lock Stock?

Nah, that was Dude Wealthy

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/SazCaz81/status/1439337101682688004

Its nice to see that Jane got her wish. reminder that GC (gender critical) is what the terfs like to call each other.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Memento posted:

That poster registered three hours ago and has been posting nothing but garbage ever since.

I'm going with... PCOS Bill re-reg.

Has he ever tried to re-reg and come back? I think he has been gone a while now. I also feel like he would use the word "cuck" a lot, so I have doubts this is him.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I got maan maan

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Has he ever tried to re-reg and come back? I think he has been gone a while now. I also feel like he would use the word "cuck" a lot, so I have doubts this is him.

Oh yeah, three or four, as recently as last July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

FFT posted:

I think something got mixed up, apparently I'm a Rho Man?

Yeah? What have you ever done for us?