Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

The_Doctor posted:

Character are doing a Five Doctors 3-pack with a Raston Warrior Robot! The most perfect killing machine ever devised!

They should have included a 10-pack of Cybermen that do nothing but bumble around and stand next to each other in a neat row, patiently waiting their turn to get murdalized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
they better include cyber-puking action in one of them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you fear an empty room?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No...not the mind probe.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I do not enjoy the Kerblam episode

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Hootington posted:

I do not enjoy the Kerblam episode

I'm sitting there thinking,"What a fun and engaging romp! Just good times!" and then.... no there is no twist, the computer murdered an innocent woman as a prop to teach a wannabe mass murderer and terrorist a lesson, then the terrorist got everything he wanted anyway and the innocent woman was still dead and the Doctor just went on her merry way :stare:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s also the stupidest title for an episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The most damning thing about the Chibnall era is that Kerblam! is, despite everything, still maybe a top 5 episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The thought of rewatching the Jodie era to pick out a top 5 just depresses me. There’s more than a few where one small bit of the story pulls down the entire episode. Grace’s pointless death, the afore mentioned death in Kerblam, etc. One stupid decision taints the rest of it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love Jodie's take on the Doctor, I love the companions, but the sum is less than the total of their parts. There hasn't been one real moment that reached out and grabbed me other than Jodie coming out in her premiere with the welding glasses and torch and the Master's reveal on the plane. Everything else has been... just there. Even the whole "The First Doctor wasn't the first regeneration" arc was more of a "well then" than anything else.

I put the blame on Chibnall more than anyone else. But what do I know? I didn't think Orphan 55 was a bad episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If nothing else, I'll never forget the time Doctor Who HAD to do a racism to save the future.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The writing on Rosa was so brittle, like it was constantly aware of the tightrope it was walking by daring to cover this story.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CobiWann posted:

I put the blame on Chibnall more than anyone else. But what do I know? I didn't think Orphan 55 was a bad episode.

:hfive:

Spyfall was so bad I was going to give up on the series entirely, but when people started saying how bad Orphan 55 was I was like, man do I wanna know what could be worse than Spyfall. And it was a perfectly mediocre episode, bland but not offensive.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Rochallor posted:

:hfive:

Spyfall was so bad I was going to give up on the series entirely, but when people started saying how bad Orphan 55 was I was like, man do I wanna know what could be worse than Spyfall. And it was a perfectly mediocre episode, bland but not offensive.

Benny!

Benny! Is that you!

Is that my husband, Benny!

Benny!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Did they cut the budget for the show?

Series 11 festival special was good. Finally something that doesn't suck

Daleks. :)

I'm consistently amazed how every episode was bad until this one. It makes me sad after 10 series of good show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What really caught me off guard with Series 11 is how they'd have the characters in focus, but then blur the background, like those old reality tv shows where they'd cut to the people talking about the show between shots like "I didn't know at that point what I was getting into" and all that

Man, remember those kinds of shows?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The narrative device is called a "confessional"!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mr Hootington posted:

Did they cut the budget for the show?

I think this is one of the reasons the show translates so well to audio. There are no big space battles or huge gently caress-off set pieces. They tend to be smaller and more intimate.

Not even the Tories could cut the visual and effect budgets of our imaginations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Not even the Tories could cut the visual and effect budgets of our imaginations.

Apparently this was what was whispered in Thatcher's ear to cause her to hiss her last breath and claw vainly at the air before being dragged into hell.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW CLOSE I WAS WHEN I SAID MOFFAT WOULD BE RETURNING AS SHOWRUNNER LMAO: https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1441405833997217798

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
lol well aight whatever let's do the time warp again I guess

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I am ok with it given Chinball's take on Who. Not a bad idea to restart.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Wow! I truly never expected this to happen, especially since it seemed like he was able to do whatever he wanted, project-wise.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm in again.. two years from now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
daniel_bryan_yes.gif

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh, no thanks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have no idea if this will be good or bad, but holy poo poo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wow, that's a huge surprise. Maybe we can finally get back to a decent episode count per series now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HOLY poo poo.

gently caress I wish we could get a Jodie series with him in charge.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also I might be cynical, but this seems like it must either be that he has a great idea, or that the BBC were close to putting it back on ice for a while without someone from the revivals most popular series involved.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hey, you, you are finally awake

Timeless child? Sucking off Amazon?

What are you talking about, here come the drums

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Would love it if Jodie stayed an extra year so Russell could write for her, but like I saw someone suggest on twitter: Ben Whishaw seems pretty likely?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:bisonyes::five::yeshaha:

this show might not actually be loving trash

I can’t even imagine that

It’s been loving trash for so long

What great news

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
When i say the post on Twitter i thought it was a parody.

It does have an air of "No one else wanted it so RTD stepped up to stop the show being cancelled"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

:bisonyes::five::yeshaha:

this show might not actually be loving trash

I can’t even imagine that

It’s been loving trash for so long

What great news

Oh it might well be trash, but it will be fun trash.

The RTD era MK1 had many issues, and at the time we were justifiably happy to see change, but I miss knowing that even if an episode was forgettable it would be fun to watch.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have mixed feelings about all three showrunners’ episodes, but I do like RTD’s better than Chibnall’s on average. Feels like it should be an improvement, but also like the BBC are playing it overly safe

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Muppetjedi posted:

It does have an air of "No one else wanted it so RTD stepped up to stop the show being cancelled"

That's my feeling as well, but who knows (taps nose), maybe writing that scene from a fictional Seventh Doctor serial for Its a Sin put the fire back in RTD's belly.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Well I guess that definitely 100% seals the deal on 9th not being back for the 60th.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rtd returning will be bad if he tries just to go back to his earlier work. It will be good if he has moved forward and brings new ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

haha. this is awesome news I love it.