Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

God dammit Bif now I can't tell if you're still in shitpost mode or not.

I think the multiple big paragraphs explaining actual game thoughts in rambling detail point to "not"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Are you implying I actually read your posts, Merk? I'm offended.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I just reread both merk and grandi multiple times.

While I do have some trouble following merk's thought process (largely due to how short the posts are) I don't think I have a strong enough scumread on either of them to really be voting for em today.

So to sum things up I'm currently willing to vote (in no particular order):

Maerlyn
Somberbrero
E+
Tommunist

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Deadline in 4h?

I guess I'll throw in a lurker vote because I really cannot make heads or tails of the accusations now. I just can't get so strong of a read on anyone from jokephase, or whatever it was that binus tried to do.

##vote tommunist

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I feel like it's too early still for a lurker swing... who are people protecting?

Votecount for Day 1

Tommunist (3): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, merk, Toalpaz, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Shellception
Bifauxnen (2): merk, merk, Sandwolf, PlasticAutomaton
Somberbrero (2): b-minus1, Yami Fenrir
merk (2): Grandicap, Grandicap

Bif, Somber and merk all have 2 (merk less so because it is just me twice), but who benefits from swinging to a (content) lurker this early?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Grandicap posted:

Bif, Somber and merk all have 2 (merk less so because it is just me twice), but who benefits from swinging to a (content) lurker this early?

...or would this be a sign that the current cases out there are not compelling?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Grandicap posted:

What I have seen of Merk this game looks like Merk playing just like he did in the other game I joined, where he was townie. The cases on the other two don't really say much to me either way.

I am voting just because I guess we need to vote someone today, and absent any good reason... I guess I prefer to play with people who are somehow contributing and readable?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

merk posted:

...or would this be a sign that the current cases out there are not compelling?

I don't disagree with this statement, it just felt early to go to a lurker execution. But Shell and Toal were voting noone before this so it feels less bad when I look a little deeper. I like Toal's vote the least though, especially when they already posted this:

Toalpaz posted:

There's scum in there. In order.

Scum
Bif
Grandicap
B-
Mae
PI
Yami
Tomu
Shell
Plastic
Hal
Town

Thank you for coming to my scientific list.

With Tommu in the lower half of the scum-town continuum.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I was wondering if tommu should be in the top half or not but he promised me in thread he was town so I put him there

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Does anyone think this looks like sincere town content

PlasticAutomaton posted:

God dammit Bif now I can't tell if you're still in shitpost mode or not.

While still holding his vote on me as well

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

I was wondering if tommu should be in the top half or not but he promised me in thread he was town so I put him there

But you are voting him now!?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Grandicap posted:

But you are voting him now!?

Are you really accusing me of being inconsistent here?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

While still holding his vote on me as well

I've seen plastic town post like that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Toalpaz posted:

I've seen plastic town post like that.

In that kind of context?!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Are you really accusing me of being inconsistent here?

Yes? I am still on the fence if it is scummy. But you took his word that he was town when making that list, but once merk votes him, you have no compunction to climb aboard.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

I incorrectly was convinced plastic was scum in Cookfia because of posts that sounded very fake. Here are a few examples: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977626&userid=37071&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post517730912

I'm not sure that I can read plastic yet.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I could defend my actions by saying the list doesn't have actual town/scum levels and in fact tommu could be scummy on that list just less so than others.

I could say I was just posting content cause thread dried up and I was bored.

I don't know if tommu is town or scum, but as far as executions go it is fine for day one. You're acting like someone who knows that tommu is flipping town here and building cases for when he does. Using that list like that is a reach, especially when I attach my thought process to my vote, and given that I don't know a poo poo posting lurkers actual alignment and can't take his word for it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

merk posted:

I incorrectly was convinced plastic was scum in Cookfia because of posts that sounded very fake. Here are a few examples: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977626&userid=37071&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post517730912

I'm not sure that I can read plastic yet.

That's exactly why I'm telling you to leave the reading Plastic to me!!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yes, my whole threatening one vote out of two on you while the rest of the game is talking about Tom right now and there's no real discussion about or will to lunch you, Bif.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Yes, my whole threatening one vote out of two on you while the rest of the game is talking about Tom right now and there's no real discussion about or will to lunch you, Bif.

It's not about being threatening it's about your content being all nonsense

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I feel like I need a whole post just to dive down on the Yami/binus thing and I didn't really think it was as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. I don't know if that's actually scummy intent on Yami's part but here goes:

Yami Fenrir posted:

I mean it should be incredibly obvious as to what b- is up to, which is why I'm baffled Maerlyn is trying to attribute malice to it.

I asked you how it was obvious what binus intended, your response:

Yami Fenrir posted:

There are 3 powers in the OP alone that work on a visit. Only one of them is harmful and doesn't make sense for a townie to "bait" like this (PGO)

Why are you immediately jumping to this conclusion?

This is basically stating "Oh, B- might have a special personality that harms people on visits", which is some serious mental gymnastics when there's a much simpler solution available.

That's a pretty gross overstatement and I feel like you also didn't think of the simpler solution, which is that I don't know binus' alignment. The ACTION might be alignment neutral, Binus' is not. He says he's town but he says that in every game (I think), so that's a null read for me but if he's scum and copying all these actions then that benefits scum right?

I thought you overreacted quite a bit to me and Ep considering there were others who had the same reaction (Perpetual even thought of it further then I did, we'd be using up one shot abilities for him to copy?)

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't know, even if he is town I'm gonna say that giving All The Powers to binus might actually be not a pretty good idea lol

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Suboptimal isn't the way to say it if he was genuinely asking us to use 1-shot abilities to, best case, give them to him.

The whole argument just feels like a defense of binus, for what reason I don't know but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I almost did vote you last night because I thought you were purposefully twisting my words into more than what they were but when you said you don't really understand jokes well I thought it was just a moot point.

Binus does weird poo poo all the time that confuses me, I'm neutral on him for now and jury's out on Yami.

(I spent my entire lunch writing this/looking back at posts so I'll talk about others next).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It's about you being scum so I want more people to vote you because I am town and that is how I win

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Grandi I like your theory that merk was just tossing Plastic at the bottom of his list as a weak bus.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bif I see what you are seeing ##vote plastic

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'll vote plastic, but I'm going to hold it until later in the day so if he flips scum then people will think I bussed him.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Maerlyn posted:

I feel like I need a whole post just to dive down on the Yami/binus thing and I didn't really think it was as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. I don't know if that's actually scummy intent on Yami's part but here goes:

I asked you how it was obvious what binus intended, your response:

That's a pretty gross overstatement and I feel like you also didn't think of the simpler solution, which is that I don't know binus' alignment. The ACTION might be alignment neutral, Binus' is not. He says he's town but he says that in every game (I think), so that's a null read for me but if he's scum and copying all these actions then that benefits scum right?

I thought you overreacted quite a bit to me and Ep considering there were others who had the same reaction (Perpetual even thought of it further then I did, we'd be using up one shot abilities for him to copy?)

The whole argument just feels like a defense of binus, for what reason I don't know but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I almost did vote you last night because I thought you were purposefully twisting my words into more than what they were but when you said you don't really understand jokes well I thought it was just a moot point.

Binus does weird poo poo all the time that confuses me, I'm neutral on him for now and jury's out on Yami.

(I spent my entire lunch writing this/looking back at posts so I'll talk about others next).

What even is the point of stating that you don't know bee's alignment? That's so obvious it was left unsaid. The only ones who know another person's alignment this early are confirmed masons and scum.

You're still just immediately assuming guilt on an action that's alignment neutral. As if it's somehow incomprehensible a townie would want to use their role so they just ask. Like I am not saying that b- is 100% confirmed town or some poo poo, but you're just basically treating b- as scum because he asked and then go it's a joke... only to double down on how dangerous it might be to visit b- (???). W

Like sure you don't explicitly say that b- is scum but when you have so many goddamn posts around how dangerous it might be to visit b-, what else are people supposed to think?

You apparently can't decide if it's a joke or not. Like at this point I'm willing to float the idea that it's a tone issue on E+ but you're just doubling and tripling down on your "joke" in a really wonky way.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

merk posted:

I'll vote plastic, but I'm going to hold it until later in the day so if he flips scum then people will think I bussed him.

That is fine so long as you actually vote in fine to avoid no-lunch

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Full disclosure: I'm basically never around for deadline anymore. However, this game I definitely will not be around for deadline today. I am getting on a plane with my wife and 14 month old daughter. We decided to fly four hours during the time when she is supposed to be asleep. It sounds brilliant on paper.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Maf edit : vote in time *

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I approve of this plan

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yami I'm a little confused about your whole Maerlyn exchange cause "binus could be town" and "listening to binus could be dangerous" are so not mutually exclusive ideas in my experience

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Tommunist (3): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, merk, Toalpaz, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Shellception
Bifauxnen (2): merk, merk, Sandwolf, PlasticAutomaton
PlasticAutomaton (2): Bifauxnen, Hal Insandenza
Somberbrero (2): b-minus1, Yami Fenrir
merk (2): Grandicap, Grandicap
Yami Fenrir (1): merk, Somberbrero, merk
Grandicap (1): Sandwolf, Sandwolf, PERPETUAL IDIOT
Toalpaz (1): Epsilon Plus
Maerlyn (0): merk, merk
Sandwolf (0): Tommunist, Toalpaz, Tommunist, Toalpaz

Not Voting (2): Maerlyn, Tommunist

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 22nd, 2021 at 11 p.m. GMT -- that's in about 3 hours, 34 minutes.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

Yami I'm a little confused about your whole Maerlyn exchange cause "binus could be town" and "listening to binus could be dangerous" are so not mutually exclusive ideas in my experience

I mean yes jokes about b- being a wildcard aside, but look at this:

Maerlyn posted:

It's partially a joke but it's a strange proposal that sounds like it's for binus' benefit (emphasis mine:)

Maerlyn posted:

Malice is a strong word, how about hesitancy/doubt for a player whose alignment I don't know? I assume we're talking about "Fanatic Materialist" but I don't know that is what binus is thinking because he didn't say, so how is it "incredibly obvious"?

Maerlyn posted:

Because he wants everyone to visit him for unknown (to us) reasons

Maerlyn posted:

Curious take, want to explain the 180 (since you didn't explain your vote on Yami yesterday)

Visit binus party palace if you want, let him copy your abilities for unknown reasons (unless people know something about binus I don't, is fanatic materialist a town ability only?). I made a 75% joke which Yami admitted they didn't quite understand, but using their misunderstanding (?) to vote me feels odd.

I'm not sure what to make of Grandi's post yet (I haven't fully read it yet, just being honest), or binus somber vote for that matter.

Out of everyone who has posted so far I understand Tommu least (well and binus but that's every game, lol).

Maerlyn posted:

There are SO many posts about how visiting b- to let him copy is so dangerous because their alignment is ~unknown~ (read: maybe not town, like, IDK, LITERALLY EVERYONE IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW. as we got jack poo poo for info) and we don't know their intentions (which is also true for LITERALLY everyone else).

Like it's not even about b- having the abilities specifically, it's the undercurrent of 'Oh no this might be dangerous guys' which all but says "I don't trust b- with this", but it also doesn't say anything about b-'s alignment (i.e. call them scum).

If it was one post that'd be fine but it's spread out over so many cost with the reason stated being "partially a joke" but then why just keep doubling down on it when pressed?

Like I mentioned previously, I just do not understand the thought process where we arrive from a role that the OP outright states both town and scum can have and immediately attribute ill intent to it. Like, spoiler alert, anyone who rolled Materialist will want people to visit them, town or otherwise. And b- just saying "yo visit me plz" is 100% something they'd do, anyway.

But even if I didn't know the player in question I'd find this odd, because this just seems like shadethrowing for no good reason.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Fwiw I never claimed any specific role. Maybe I just want to have some friends stop by for a visit. Is that too much to ask

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It's a pretty common phrase to explain someone's reasoning to say: "I don't know X's intentions, so I think it is suspicious"

You think she's being too self conscious of b- and knows b-s alignment the Yami?

One of the abilities on the spread sheet is 'copy all abilities used on you' it is probably one of the reasons Mae suspects someone would ask everyone to visit them. Seems like a fair observation.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

It's a pretty common phrase to explain someone's reasoning to say: "I don't know X's intentions, so I think it is suspicious"

You think she's being too self conscious of b- and knows b-s alignment the Yami?

One of the abilities on the spread sheet is 'copy all abilities used on you' it is probably one of the reasons Mae suspects someone would ask everyone to visit them. Seems like a fair observation.
Sowwie phone posting

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also keep in mind, the abilities we have have charges. If we visit b and he copies the ability, we have still expended those abilities visiting b.
If they were perma-roles I feel like it would be different calculus, but even if you assume b is town and is doing this just to get cool powers, it is still a 0-sum game there.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Ngl this post pinged me pretty hard yesterday as a jokephase but real scum claim

Grandicap posted:

You can't make me!

But I have no idea why scum grandi would burn a double vote so early in the game

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Toalpaz posted:

Sorry, I'm having some issues parsing this.

But yes I feel like there's like... a missing link in the logic between (B- probably has that role) and (B- is suspicious/dangerous/whatever). Mae comes over to me as overly worried about possible Materialists, which is what I find so odd considering the OP outright says it's an alignment neutral role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Actually, I'mma put my vote behind it too. Still don't trust Somber right now but I have to make a final decision soon because I need to go to bed soon and I doubt Somber's a viable lunch target today.

##vote Maerlyn

I was considering Tommu too but something just irks me about the swing attempt onto lurkers. I feel like we'd be missing out on solid info by doing that at this point.