Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr. Maggy posted:

after Undertale came out, Toby has been talking to Yoko Taro

:yokotaro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Toko Yaro

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Captain Stalin posted:

I could see Toby trying to make this point at the end, even if it pisses people off, since it would highlight the "Hey these are people, not puppets" theme.

I think this would be a really dumb and self-defeating theme. People are not playing the game with the sinister intention of taking over Kris’ life, and choosing not to play the game will not create a happy ending, it just means nothing happens at all.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Oxxidation posted:

it’s just a crappy idea to tie ending reactivity to something so vague. for instance: what would Kris rather choose, Bosom or Perish? their mangy zoomer butt is quite enthusiastic about perishing, but surely it’s not out of the question they would sardonically praise the bosom. both chapters are riddled with moments like that

We'll have to disagree here. A ton of throw away jokes and dialog choices are likely just that, but there are major beats and characters that the game tells you how Kris was with them, and can comment if you deviate from how Kris reacts.

I think it also fits into the overall theme if those major choices do weigh in at the end in some future chapter 7 endings.

For what UT was, you had to play the game from the start and really work to get that bad ending, I could totally see Toby doing that in other contexts for delta rune.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There are some choices that make it absolutely clear you're going against Kris' wishes, like making them drop the ball of junk. I could see the game getting on your rear end for picking those eventually, but I really don't think anyone would enjoy having the game get mad at you for not pranking Noelle or wanting to take Ralsei to a party.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I remain steadfast in my belief of Don't Forget

Terper posted:

My tinfoil is that the song is sung by the player, to Kris. No matter what, you'll be there with 'em.

We're the light inside their Soul. We're playing Deltarune with the goal to make them happy. We might have differences of opinions, and Kris would rather not go through with the whole "us controlling them" thing, but goddammit we don't have a choice here and I'll be with them through thick and thin. I'll make that child happy, goddammit.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Unless the game has good reason to get mad at you it doesn't really work.

"You made Kris eat moss! Twice!" :shrug:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's a few they'll actively stop you from taking, too, like dropping the cards Lancer and Rouxls turn into. I wouldn't be surprised if Full Pacifist turns out not to be the best ending, though, because a) Undertale trained players of Toby Fox games to NEVER do anything but Spare and it'd be kinda more of the same if that weren't subverted a little and b) even chapter 1 has the thematic point that some people are just complete pieces of poo poo, or too far along in their own things to be talked down or niced to death and you will need to actually stand up and fight them to stop them from hurting you and others. Chapter 2 follows this up by actually forcing you to fight the final boss, with all available ACTs being combat-related. It's interesting how this evolution turns Undertale into a bit of a pre-Trump time capsule and Deltarune into one for the mid-Trump years, especially because 2018 would be roughly at the height of "actually it's cool and good to punch nazis" coming back en vogue, but I'm sure that's an effortpost that's already been made.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 22, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Probably the most fascinating thing about the Deltarune fandom is that the shipping wars seem to mostly be a 4chan thing

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You say that, but through our actions, Lancer now has a cool third dad, and dads #1 and #2 are noticing that maybe not being a dick would actually make them happier. Well, dad #1 anyway, but #2 was never capable of actually hurting anyone, so he's kind of a wash.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You say that, but through our actions, Lancer now has a cool third dad, and dads #1 and #2 are noticing that maybe not being a dick would actually make them happier. Well, dad #1 anyway, but #2 was never capable of actually hurting anyone, so he's kind of a wash.

Chapter 1 was quite up front with how Roulxs was a far better parent to Lancer than the King ever was, and if anything the King was the Lesser Dad in that equation. Then the Queen comes along and knocks Roulxs down to #2 in the hierarchy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Rouxls is a passable dad, but he's also kind of a dick. He climbed into Kris' pants hole without their consent!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Rouxls is a passable dad, but he's also kind of a dick. He climbed into Kris' pants hole without their consent!

And then climbed out of it without telling anyone.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They don't want us out, not yet. They invited us. They have plans for us.

Kris wanted us here, but as is typical with summoning demons it's questionable whether they'll be able to control us.

We're the cenobites in this story, and Kris done solved the puzzle box!

The whole thing is that right at the beginning the first thing you do is craft your vessel, give it a gift and a name and are asked your aspirations for them.

And then the music tracks change, they're gone and here's Kris, whose weird and kinda mysterious and not really gelling with us.

I feel like it's less we were summoned and more we were diverted.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Flesnolk posted:

chapter 1 has the thematic point that some people are just complete pieces of poo poo, or too far along in their own things to be talked down or niced to death and you will need to actually stand up and fight them to stop them from hurting you and others.

I appreciate that Deltarune explicitly goes out of its way to show you that there are some people that cannot be befriended or reasonably negotiated with. If you don't adopt a harder approach towards these types, they'll roll right over you. I don't think Undertale was intended to be something that informs peoples' worldview, but it did for a surprising amount of people, and the message many of them got out of it seems to be "if you're patient and kind everything will be okay."

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Regallion posted:

Question.
Spamton introduces himself as Spamton G. Spamton.

What does G stand for?

Supersonic Shine posted:

A magical puppet who attacks with projectiles and comes from an RPG that lets you avoid enemy attacks through precise inputs coming to Smash would be the biggest slap in the face to Geno fans. It would also be extremely funny.

folks,

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Caidin posted:

The whole thing is that right at the beginning the first thing you do is craft your vessel, give it a gift and a name and are asked your aspirations for them.

And then the music tracks change, they're gone and here's Kris, whose weird and kinda mysterious and not really gelling with us.

I feel like it's less we were summoned and more we were diverted.

It really shows the great quality of the game, where Toby has crafted this interesting world, full of lovable characters, and one of the most interesting things about it is the player and the circumstances around themselves who are an outsider not just to the world, but to the person they're controlling.

This is a very good game so far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's always important to remember Undertale was setting itself apart from other RPGs when it did the "no killing, no not even that moldsmal" thing.

But yeah, in Ch1 the king, I think when defeated makes a point to say you won't be able to always use mercy. (But technically UT did that too! Twice!)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Oxyclean posted:

It's always important to remember Undertale was setting itself apart from other RPGs when it did the "no killing, no not even that moldsmal" thing.

But yeah, in Ch1 the king, I think when defeated makes a point to say you won't be able to always use mercy. (But technically UT did that too! Twice!)

Just like how Deltarune said "your choices don't matter", when so far they've mattered a surprising amount of time.

Also remember that, while we didn't beat King with mercy, we sure as poo poo didn't beat him with force either. Either Ralsei knocks him out with a sleep spell, or all the people we've pointedly did not kill join forces and overthrow him.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
anyway my wild speculation is that all the B route stuff won't be necessary but will instead set up for one final gently caress off big bastard of an optional boss, like a ruby weapon grade "you wanted it well you got it" face punch

you do the good route, you do the bad route, the game acknowledges both and then you fight yourself, What They Call "You"

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 22, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, on the nice ending, the King is overthrown by his subjects because you were nice to them. You literally do beat him with mercy, it's just barely less directly so.

snohax
May 30, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

There's a few they'll actively stop you from taking, too, like dropping the cards Lancer and Rouxls turn into. I wouldn't be surprised if Full Pacifist turns out not to be the best ending, though, because a) Undertale trained players of Toby Fox games to NEVER do anything but Spare and it'd be kinda more of the same if that weren't subverted a little and b) even chapter 1 has the thematic point that some people are just complete pieces of poo poo, or too far along in their own things to be talked down or niced to death and you will need to actually stand up and fight them to stop them from hurting you and others. Chapter 2 follows this up by actually forcing you to fight the final boss, with all available ACTs being combat-related. It's interesting how this evolution turns Undertale into a bit of a pre-Trump time capsule and Deltarune into one for the mid-Trump years, especially because 2018 would be roughly at the height of "actually it's cool and good to punch nazis" coming back en vogue, but I'm sure that's an effortpost that's already been made.

This was a theme in Undertale, too. You have no way past Asgore other than to fight him. You also have to push the fight button to get through photoshop Flowey, but... that particular encounter was very much its own thing.

It seems to get overlooked a lot that in both Undertale and this game, you can get the "pacifist" endings almost purely by fighting. Other than a couple exceptions like Undyne, you can mercy/pacify any monster/darkner once they're low on HP. Neither game is telling you not to fight, just not to kill.

Admittedly I think it's a bit on Toby that so many people miss this, because I think it's only mentioned by the first frog NPC in Undertale, and I don't even remember where in Deltarune Ch. 1. I am glad that Deltarune seems to be leaning into this theme more explicitly though, what with the end bosses of both chapters so far.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

snohax posted:

This was a theme in Undertale, too. You have no way past Asgore other than to fight him. You also have to push the fight button to get through photoshop Flowey, but... that particular encounter was very much its own thing.

It seems to get overlooked a lot that in both Undertale and this game, you can get the "pacifist" endings almost purely by fighting. Other than a couple exceptions like Undyne, you can mercy/pacify any monster/darkner once they're low on HP. Neither game is telling you not to fight, just not to kill.

Admittedly I think it's a bit on Toby that so many people miss this, because I think it's only mentioned by the first frog NPC in Undertale, and I don't even remember where in Deltarune Ch. 1. I am glad that Deltarune seems to be leaning into this theme more explicitly though, what with the end bosses of both chapters so far.

To be fair, a lot of people miss it because of the Toriel fight. It takes away every action except FIGHT (unless you notice what SPARE is doing), has the boss constantly tell you to FIGHT her, comes after you may have spared plenty of enemies through exhausting, then SPAREing them, and has plenty of HP for you to seemingly chew through. Then you crit her for a metric fuckton of damage and kill her by accident. It works great as a capper to the Undertale Ruins demo, but if you want that method to be your primary method of sparing, that fight snaps you out of it quickly.

It also has the side effect of meaning a lot of people forget that method by the time they get to Asgore, and get stomped over and over and over again until they realize there's truly no way out of this one. Sure, he literally curb stomps your Mercy button, but I wouldn't be surprised if people expected it to legit piece itself back together as you survived or something like that.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 22, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I also wish it was guaranteed that enemies will not die (or "die", as it were in deltarune) from one attack ever, because lowering hp is a pretty risky method of sparing enemies when you can accidentally lose your whole full recruit run in literally a single blow if you happen to attack something with low hp with susie

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

There's a lot of little things that feel almost off about the light world. How does one even leave the town? The gate south of Kris' house seemingly leads to Noelle's house. Communication out of the town has been down since before we were playing. An important character is away and due back soon. As a player of the game, the implied history of the lighteners is not much different from the implied history of the darkeners. So much feels so convenient for keeping everything bottled up in the town.

The exit out of town is presumably the taped-off road next to the police station

Zamujasa posted:

Queen tells Noelle to use the pin she gave her earlier, so I assume any particularly sharp and/or pointy implement will do

Now I wonder if there's some minor dialog change in that scene if you unequipped the pin while Noelle's in the party...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

did anyone do a kelly version of the milk sicko yet

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Now I wonder if there's some minor dialog change in that scene if you unequipped the pin while Noelle's in the party...
Nope, that is quite literally the first thing i did

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Procrastine posted:

The exit out of town is presumably the taped-off road next to the police station
:doh:

I still kind of like my idea though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

holy poo poo lol

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

:doh:

I still kind of like my idea though.

Still fully possible we eventually see what's beyond there and it's a dead end!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hogama posted:

Every character has a few unique responses to Clicking Poppup.

Ralsei
* Ralsei moved to click on an ad with a bunny on it teaching you how to make friends... * ...and accidentally clicked on an ad of a machine gun that appeared over it!
* Ralsei moved to click on an ad with a bunny on it teaching you how to make friends... *...but it was actually an ad for a company that demolishes buildings with bazookas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqR-oQSTA_E&t=15s

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:perfect:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hogama posted:

Every character has a few unique responses to Clicking Poppup.

* Ralsei moved to click on an ad with a bunny on it teaching you how to make friends... *...but it was actually an ad for a company that demolishes buildings with bazookas!

I think that one was copypasted wrong. When I did it, Ralsei clicked on an ad with a castle. Then apologized afterwards(maybe he apologizes for all three variants?).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I think that one was copypasted wrong. When I did it, Ralsei clicked on an ad with a castle. Then apologized afterwards(maybe he apologizes for all three variants?).
It was, I'll edit that.
Still funny because Same kind of reaction from Ralsei as Asriel.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/bunhearts/status/1440524782957596679?s=21

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Regallion posted:

Question.
Spamton introduces himself as Spamton G. Spamton.

What does G stand for?
Spamton.

Brandfarlig posted:

Unless the game has good reason to get mad at you it doesn't really work.

"You made Kris eat moss! Twice!" :shrug:
I feel like the fact that that was a prompt at all was on Kris, though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I very much enjoy the idea of Susie and Kris unironically bonding over eating moss.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I've changed my mind, Berdly deserved to be frozen to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

A magical puppet who attacks with projectiles and comes from an RPG that lets you avoid enemy attacks through precise inputs coming to Smash would be the biggest slap in the face to Geno fans. It would also be extremely funny.

Geno already has enough poo poo, he gets a whole route