Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

twists don't matter and are not the engaging part of a story anyways

m night shyamalan is writing you a furious PM right now

but hold on...

it turns out YOU are m night shyamalan!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My apparently unpopular opinion is that Bioshock 1 is good and holds up just fine. As does 2, its strengths are just different from 1. Meanwhile I loathe Infinite, albeit more for its wasted potential than its writing, which I actually like bits and pieces of.

QuarkJets posted:

speaking of do i remember correctly that you fight a loving ghost at some point? What the gently caress, Bioshock Infinite?

Is it really that strange? Bioshock had ghosts. Because System Shock 2 had ghosts. So obviously Columbia also has to have ghosts.

I mean it was a bad boss fight and yet another messy nonsensical plot beat, but even in the original draft(s) of Infinite there were ghosts. Plus, y'know, the Possession vigor is literally the first one you get.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Excelzior posted:

m night shyamalan is writing you a furious PM right now

but hold on...

it turns out YOU are m night shyamalan!!!!!!

there he [me] goes again! such a clever fellow [if I do say so myself]

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Yeah but system shock 2 is uhhh the best game ever made???

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Actually it's spelled "Deus Ex"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina, in EVERY way.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Most zelda games are

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vic posted:

In David Attenborough's voice:

"Here are two adults engaged in a tradition that spans millenia.

Gamers.

Their social order mercilessly dictated by game releases, they fight for their online cred.

*sudden dramatic posting music sting*

It's over.

Unable to play the game at release, this gamer will have to wait...

...for a sale."

lol underappreciated post

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Pounds GBP? For what its worth the price in my mind is £20. You save enough £30s and suddenly you have a house

Sorry, but as an American millennial I do not understand this currency.

Can you repost, and convert to iPhones and avocado toasts? tia

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, getting yelled at for being poo poo in COD is a blessing and a curse.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like the idea of Bioshock. The setting was very cool and the idea of this "breakaway utopian society attempt at the bottom of the ocean floor gone wrong" was very cool.

Unfortunately the actual story was underwhelming and almost exclusively presented via audiotapes, the gameplay was outright clunky and bad, the morality system completely uninteresting (kill kids or don't!) and then they throw a 90's bossfight at you at the end. I really wanted to love it, but I just didn't.

The only good thing about Bioshock Infinite meanwhile, was the disney princess you teamed up with...if only because she never actively got in your way and kept throwing you ammo. Everything else was worse than the other Bioshock games

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The setting was way cooler than the game, it would have made a great movie or miniseries.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Floodixor posted:

Whoever said "XCOM 3" needs to GET IT TOGETHER

XCOM 3 : Apocalypse? That was a good game, in new ones Firaxis never managed to have more than 3 floors and buildings actually collapsing because you destroyed the supports.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Bioshocks are (were?) overrated. But I enjoyed playing through them anyway.

Zzulu posted:

I like the idea of Bioshock. The setting was very cool and the idea of this "breakaway utopian society attempt at the bottom of the ocean floor gone wrong" was very cool.

Unfortunately the actual story was underwhelming and almost exclusively presented via audiotapes, the gameplay was outright clunky and bad, the morality system completely uninteresting (kill kids or don't!) and then they throw a 90's bossfight at you at the end. I really wanted to love it, but I just didn't.

:hmmyes:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I remember becoming instantly just completely mentally checked out of Bioshock Infinite's plot the moment you started travelling to alternate dimensions or whatever. It's like everything I've done up to now is just gone like a fart in the wind, and this new poo poo I'm now seeing is not my problem and doesn't apply to me, so why should I care even slightly about it? It was an incredibly efficient way to assassinate any investment I had in a story.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Triarii posted:

I remember becoming instantly just completely mentally checked out of Bioshock Infinite's plot the moment you started travelling to alternate dimensions or whatever. It's like everything I've done up to now is just gone like a fart in the wind, and this new poo poo I'm now seeing is not my problem and doesn't apply to me, so why should I care even slightly about it? It was an incredibly efficient way to assassinate any investment I had in a story.

I just got to that part and I completely agree. I also agree with the poster who said Elizabeth is awesome, cause she is. It’s the one aspect they nailed, especially when she skyhooks up and zips around behind you. Can’t believe they pulled that off and made it work.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Triarii posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tag9Pm3qtA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pyromancer posted:

XCOM 3 : Apocalypse? That was a good game, in new ones Firaxis never managed to have more than 3 floors and buildings actually collapsing because you destroyed the supports.

It would be nice if Firaxis went all in on 'Apocalypse, but finished' with whatever excuse works. XCOM 2 being explicitly an AU/failure state continuation of the original was interesting and something more games could do.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Triarii posted:

I remember becoming instantly just completely mentally checked out of Bioshock Infinite's plot the moment you started travelling to alternate dimensions or whatever. It's like everything I've done up to now is just gone like a fart in the wind, and this new poo poo I'm now seeing is not my problem and doesn't apply to me, so why should I care even slightly about it? It was an incredibly efficient way to assassinate any investment I had in a story, Morty UuUURRpp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Jagged alliance 2, the best game in the world, asks you at start of the game if you want the scifi twist or not. That's the way to do it when game writers have "ideas".

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Triarii posted:

The part where I completely checked out of Infinite was when they both-sides the Vox Populi

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best thing to come out of Bioshock Infinite was the board game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

remember becoming instantly just completely mentally checked out of Super Mario World's plot the moment it was set in some fantasy world and not my hometown of Trenton, New Jersey. I don't know a single person in Dinosaur Land and this kidnapped princess is not my problem and doesn't apply to me, so why should I care even slightly about it? It was an incredibly efficient way to assassinate any investment I had in a story.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

flavor.flv posted:

remember becoming instantly just completely mentally checked out of Super Mario World's plot the moment it was set in some fantasy world and not my hometown of Trenton, New Jersey. I don't know a single person in Dinosaur Land and this kidnapped princess is not my problem and doesn't apply to me, so why should I care even slightly about it? It was an incredibly efficient way to assassinate any investment I had in a story.

Wait, Super Mario World isn't set in Italy?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

rydiafan posted:

The best thing to come out of Bioshock Infinite was the board game.

Very skeptical of this statement.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bioshock definitely suffers from a lack of snake titties

itry
Aug 23, 2019

KonvexKonkav posted:

Wait, Super Mario World has a story?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

quote isn't edit

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

Very skeptical of this statement.

Zero sarcasm, friend.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/132428/bioshock-infinite-siege-columbia

It's the best implementation of a video game I've played, because it isn't just "the video game, but cardboard". It's a two player area control war game, where one player is Comstock and the other is the Vox Populi, and Booker is a random event that moves around the board just wrecking everybody's poo poo. Like, you're just trying to fight against the other army when suddenly Elizabeth will show up in one of your bases and you think to yourself "Oh God, nooo!" right before Booker comes in to save her and blow up your expensive blimp.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Excelzior posted:

Bioshock definitely suffers from a lack of snake titties

Most games do, sadly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Most games do, sadly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thats not a snake its a Legless Lizard :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legless_lizard

quote:

Snakes are elongated, limbless, carnivorous reptiles of the suborder Serpentes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Icochet posted:

Jagged alliance 2, the best game in the world, asks you at start of the game if you want the scifi twist or not. That's the way to do it when game writers have "ideas".

Does it have any alternate thing for the (spoiler for a 22 year old game) crepitus goo if you do non-sci fi? That stuff was so good on late game armor.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cartoon Man posted:

I just got to that part and I completely agree. I also agree with the poster who said Elizabeth is awesome, cause she is. It’s the one aspect they nailed, especially when she skyhooks up and zips around behind you. Can’t believe they pulled that off and made it work.

On a technical level, she's neat, but in terms of overall characterization and, dare I invoke it, :siren: ludonarrative dissonance :siren: she's pretty bad and realistically doesn't manage to do anything more or less impressive than Alyx does in HL2 + episodes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

On a technical level, she's neat, but in terms of overall characterization and, dare I invoke it, :siren: ludonarrative dissonance :siren: she's pretty bad and realistically doesn't manage to do anything more or less impressive than Alyx does in HL2 + episodes.

iirc, there were supposedly more gameplay features involving Elizabeth planned, but they got scrapped when everything was scaled down and the game turned into an on-rails arena shooter.

She's an alright character. Not sure what ludonarrative dissonance you're refering to.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Here's some news for a good laugh; Apple bars Epic's 'Fortnite' from App Store until all court appeals end.

Which could be years/indefinitely :v:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I am enjoying Eastward, although it is very simple, I really like the art and atmosphere.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ultima 9 has better voice acting than final fantasy 7 remake. Barely.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

kntfkr posted:

I am enjoying Eastward, although it is very simple, I really like the art and atmosphere.

I’ve heard that while it has neat art and atmosphere, gameplay is barely a thing and most of it is an overbearing story that takes all the place, especially in the later half.

Confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

itry posted:

She's an alright character. Not sure what ludonarrative dissonance you're refering to.

She has the power to move the earth, but hides timidly in combat. Counterpoint: She occasionally teleports in new cover. Counter-Counterpoint: Who cares, her job is to be a damsel in distress and you can hand-wave her lack of participation however much you wish.

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said about B:I in here: It's a pretty setting ruined by the tepid rail shooting, the teleportion into Vox-controlled realities was trash for multiple narrative reasons, and Elizabeth was an ok character with doe eyes and a mechanically excellent sidekick.