Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this might seem kind of out of nowhere but tonight after getting home from work I was watching this video about re-shoeing a horse and at about 9:30 into this video you can see him smoothing off the edges of the horseshoe using a rotary sanding tool and like it just very suddenly struck me

we've known for CENTURIES, even MILLENNIA that sanding down iron/steel creates micro-shavings of the metal that gets everywhere, including into your skin and your eyeballs

and somehow, somehow no one went "what if the same thing happens to this much, much softer substance that we ubiquitously use everywhere??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw8gjwEtdhY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

this might seem kind of out of nowhere but tonight after getting home from work I was watching this video about re-shoeing a horse and at about 9:30 into this video you can see him smoothing off the edges of the horseshoe using a rotary sanding tool and like it just very suddenly struck me

we've known for CENTURIES, even MILLENNIA that sanding down iron/steel creates micro-shavings of the metal that gets everywhere, including into your skin and your eyeballs

and somehow, somehow no one went "what if the same thing happens to this much, much softer substance that we ubiquitously use everywhere??"

It was largely considered "inert". aka completely harmless being said of: "if you eat it you just poop it straight out". "it lasts forever and is non-reactive, and therefore it's good and safe."

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i bought a dictionary in a thrift shop and started reading it today

gently caress it

realized it was only "A" to "pocket veto" (interesting cut-off point) and just ordered the second volume online to complete it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Xaris posted:

It was largely considered "inert". aka completely harmless being said of: "if you eat it you just poop it straight out". "it lasts forever and is non-reactive, and therefore it's good and safe."

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiw6_JakZFc
this has some fun bits like personal responsibility being a thing bp came up with and a tiny bit of road being more co2 than a new car
it is not a doomer video but it is somewhat more realistic than most, and curiously has over 4m views in a day

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Xaris posted:

i would amend that only to say that we the public were told, repeatedly and very loudly, that it was inert. im bone certain there were researchers inside the oil n gas suck and gently caress fiesta that knew it was Real Bad but that got buried under a mountain of us dollars

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm pretty sure if you could get a samples from a North Sentinelese inhabitant before you were executed, you'd find PFOA in their bloodstream and tissues.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chard posted:

i would amend that only to say that we the public were told, repeatedly and very loudly, that it was inert. im bone certain there were researchers inside the oil n gas suck and gently caress fiesta that knew it was Real Bad but that got buried under a mountain of us dollars

eh. It's one of those things that didn't really ramp up until the 1980s and it's still a tricky thing to study. certainly they were pushing messaging saying "its inert! no reason to worry, the Perfect Material! buy buy buy" since it's inception to sell it as the Ultimate Science Material, and probably discouraged looking into it. But it's still murky, unlike say gas, coal, radioactive fracking brine, etc, were those things were and all very very clearly bad from the very beginning just from simple stoichiometry and material composition that even the most dipshit Chem101 flunk-out could probably piece it together. even see articles from like loving 1920

that they would worm into plant cellular structures, insects, fish, birds, and humans and act as a endocrine disruptor loving up fauna and flora (re)production, and probably giving poo poo cancer, might have been a little bit of a stretch when they were invented and being used industrially and en-mass at the start. never the less, it was probably known inside the circle that they were likely bad and going to be a major problem at least by 2000 though.

most of the environmental side was deflected to macro things like: oh no birds n turtles are getting stuck inside 6-pack plastics and dying, and seals are eating water bottles and choking, how horrible. we need to recycle it better!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/

TL;DR: lab grown meat is impossible to scale.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

StratGoatCom posted:

TL;DR: lab grown meat industrial civilization is impossible to scalemaintain.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The entire article is really good but holy poo poo these two paragraphs just one after the other.

quote:

Why the discrepancy? A footnote in the CE Delft report makes it clear: the price figures for macronutrients are largely based on a specific amino acid protein powder that sells for $400 a ton on the sprawling e-commerce marketplace Alibaba.com. That source, though, is likely not suitable for cell culture. Via a chat tool, I asked the Alibaba vendor if the product would be acceptable for use in pharmaceutical-grade applications. “Dear,” she wrote back, “it’s organic fertilizer.” (In other words, it would not be.) As described on the webpage, the product is intended to be used in crop irrigation systems to help with plant nutrient uptake. The vendor did confirm it would be appropriate to use as an additive in livestock feed.

But nutrition sources like the one sold on Alibaba will probably never work for animal cell culture, despite the attractive price tag. Because they’re not intended for human consumption, they may include heavy metals, arsenic, organic toxins, and so on. That’s a problem. Animal cells lack a rigid cell wall, so foreign substances that aren’t consumed by the cells—or that don’t kill them outright—likely end up inside the cells. In other words, cells are what they eat: If it’s in the feed, it will end up in the cultured meat.

livestock feed

and where does that livestock end up :lol:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

No sacrifice is ever discussed.

It's simply 'technology will save us and I will be able to maintain my stupid wasteful lifestyle.'

gently caress it, everyone will experience forced sacrifice instead.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Complications posted:

The entire article is really good but holy poo poo these two paragraphs just one after the other.

livestock feed

and where does that livestock end up :lol:

The beatings will continue until moral improves picture but for humanity in general.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

err posted:

It's simply 'technology will save us and I will be able to maintain my stupid wasteful lifestyle.'

just wait friend, once cold fusion is achieved we'll be growing kobe in our basements

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

err posted:

I'm waiting for the political backlash against eating insect protein.

"It's called the Big Mac, not the Big Cricket!" :smug:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

black bean patties are right there and people are still all about eating animals even if they are gross fingernail bugs

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Chard posted:

black bean patties are right there and people are still all about eating animals even if they are gross fingernail bugs

there are also like half a dozen brands of vegan burger that are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing. that being said stuff like marbling and fibrosity are still being figured out but people like sauce stache are really making progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysghjYejHw

also i dont get the insect protein thing, like holy poo poo there are plenty non-animal sources of protein there is no reason to eat bugs

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

there are also like half a dozen brands of vegan burger that are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing. that being said stuff like marbling and fibrosity are still being figured out but people like sauce stache are really making progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysghjYejHw

also i dont get the insect protein thing, like holy poo poo there are plenty non-animal sources of protein there is no reason to eat bugs

i'm convinced the insect protein thing is an op by big-ag to make people throw their hands up in the air and say "gently caress this if the alternative to eating less meat is to eat bugs I'm just going to keep eating meat".

it is so loving dumb.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when i die i hope there are still bugs which can feed upon my carcass, and -- and this is pushing it, but -- maybe a family of chipmunks will make a safe home within my cranium

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

now let's talk about hope

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
the Big Cricket industry engineered this all from the start, the whole "oil" thing was a ruse, a red herring

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
looked it up, 121kg (266lbs) of meat per person per year in the USA, highest in the world.

that's nearly 1/3 kg per day (12oz), and that per capita includes everyone, children and vegetarians etc., so the amount of people just packing meat into their faces for every meal must be huge.

i'm not vegetarian (and def not vegan, hmu with vegan butter/cheese recommendations though), but due to my wife going quasi-buddhist i've been 99.9%+ meat-free for a few years now (fried chicken like twice a year), and i have to admit it was a bit of a mental hurdle at first, but i got over it in like no time. i've found one reliable brand of vegetarian meatballs that are fantastic, and same with vegetarian chicken schnitzels, but that's about as much as i gently caress around with simulacra meat. lucky to live in a city with lots of, uh, "ethnic" grocers, so access to ingredients isn't a problem.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Alobar posted:

the Big Cricket industry engineered this all from the start, the whole "oil" thing was a ruse, a red herring

darn it I knew Big Cricket was responsible for all this

that greasy bastard had it all planned out

edit:

Mola Yam posted:

i'm not vegetarian (and def not vegan, hmu with vegan butter/cheese recommendations though), but due to my wife going quasi-buddhist i've been 99.9%+ meat-free for a few years now (fried chicken like twice a year), and i have to admit it was a bit of a mental hurdle at first, but i got over it in like no time. i've found one reliable brand of vegetarian meatballs that are fantastic, and same with vegetarian chicken schnitzels, but that's about as much as i gently caress around with simulacra meat. lucky to live in a city with lots of, uh, "ethnic" grocers, so access to ingredients isn't a problem.

for vegetarian things I dig virtually every recipe on this site here: https://buddhisttemple.ca/taste-of-zen/view-recipes/ but if your wife has been doing semi-buddhism for awhile already then you've probably already seen it. I cook with a lot of beans, lentils (are these beans too? who the gently caress knows, it's a secret to everyone), tofu etc but so far the best meat substitute i've found for anything saucey is paneer though it's absolutely not vegan, think cheese with a chicken texture if done right

paneer aside, you can make seitan real easy if you have access to flour, water and hands, not a high barrier of entry considering most goons have an above average number of hands and flour is like five dollars a ton

the other fake meat pro tip is make your taco filling out of textured soy protein, if you get the little tiny chunks you can dress it up to be indistinguishable from taco bell which has the side benefit of raising a lot of questions about what taco bell uses in their meat

blatman has issued a correction as of 11:35 on Sep 24, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

i'm not vegetarian (and def not vegan, hmu with vegan butter/cheese recommendations though)
They sell Miyoko's vegan butter here even at Trader Joes and local grocers, which is pretty good. https://miyokos.com/collections/vegan-butter

the best vegan cheeses I've had have been from local vegan butcher/deli shops that make it inhouse. Costco sells a giant bag of vegan moz for a good price which works alright; it had kinda a vaguely strange aftertaste so I wasn't a super fan but it was fine on homemade pizzas with enough toppings. I preferred Trader Joes cashew cheese.

there was a vegan pizza shop that opened during early in the pandemic but sadly closed up earlier this year. it was really really loving good pizza though god drat, i actually preferred it over dairy-pizza. I wish I could get that 'moz.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

blatman posted:

darn it I knew Big Cricket was responsible for all this

that greasy bastard had it all planned out

edit:

for vegetarian things I dig virtually every recipe on this site here: https://buddhisttemple.ca/taste-of-zen/view-recipes/ but if your wife has been doing semi-buddhism for awhile already then you've probably already seen it. I cook with a lot of beans, lentils (are these beans too? who the gently caress knows, it's a secret to everyone), tofu etc but so far the best meat substitute i've found for anything saucey is paneer though it's absolutely not vegan, think cheese with a chicken texture if done right

paneer aside, you can make seitan real easy if you have access to flour, water and hands, not a high barrier of entry considering most goons have an above average number of hands and flour is like five dollars a ton

the other fake meat pro tip is make your taco filling out of textured soy protein, if you get the little tiny chunks you can dress it up to be indistinguishable from taco bell which has the side benefit of raising a lot of questions about what taco bell uses in their meat

cool cool

my (labour intensive) favourite meat subsitute has been cooking down minced mushrooms until they're dark brown and pretty dry. gotta stir them for like an hour, and add in a little rehydrated dried porcini for flavour, but they make a mapo tofu topping that's honestly better than the meat versions i used to make. can be used as pork/beef mince subsitutes for anything.

hail seitan, there's a place near me that does amazing fried seitan with chilli and peanuts.

the only things i really "miss" are steaks (used to be in to sous vide. wankery, but so fuckin good) and fried chicken (which i still cave in for now and then because it's so ubiquitous)

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Lol, yup. Don't see the issue with using the Prison Architect game for your post collapse living.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

i'm convinced the insect protein thing is an op by big-ag to make people throw their hands up in the air and say "gently caress this if the alternative to eating less meat is to eat bugs I'm just going to keep eating meat".

it is so loving dumb.

Then isn't being this dismissive of the idea playing into the hand of Big Meat or whatever.

ELTON JOHN posted:

I think there might be a few issues with the climate in which these things are growing but I'm not sure. I'll get back to you on that.

the existence of vegan items now at a limited but non-zero scale does not just translate to "Non-Animal Protein" being a solved problem available to anyone forever.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rah! posted:

i feel like the anger stage never goes away

why would i ever stop being mad that we destroyed the planet, especially considering that we found out we were doing it 150 years ago, and just kept on doing it lol

i feel more frustrated than angry, mostly at how we aren't doing anything about anything

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

bugs are great and eating them owns

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

i feel more frustrated than angry, mostly at how we aren't doing anything about anything

we're doing lots of stuff! it all just makes everything worse

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Then isn't being this dismissive of the idea playing into the hand of Big Meat or whatever.

I think there might be a few issues with the climate in which these things are growing but I'm not sure. I'll get back to you on that.

the existence of vegan items now at a limited but non-zero scale does not just translate to "Non-Animal Protein" being a solved problem available to anyone forever.

i mean plenty of cultures get the majority of their protein from plants and have for like centuries, plant protein isn’t some new invention

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sedisp posted:

Unless are you like saying anger is more of a misunderstood concept and what we call depression is inward focused anger that just obviously can't be productive?

That's correct. It can be productive, however the production is self-destruction.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

i don't think so. i don't think insect based protein is a viable alternative to plant based protein. basic thermodynamics means it will always be less efficient than plant based protein (every time you go up a trophic level you lose a ton of energy) and it is just repulsive to most people. whereas with plant based proteins there are already a million familiar meals you can get people to eat. you can make vegetarian red beans and rice, vegetarian chili, hummus, thai curry with tofu, falafel, black bean burgers... just absolutely tons of delicious and healthy options with plant protein. if you're going to try to get people off of meat, beans are the answer, not crickets.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Drakeno Beans
Drakeyes Bullets

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ELTON JOHN posted:

i mean plenty of cultures get the majority of their protein from plants and have for like centuries, plant protein isn’t some new invention

having an 80 year period of explosive population growth that relies on mechanized agriculture and fertilizer that then also has the supporting climate rapidly die around it is a new invention

is your point that some people can eat some plants at some point? Nobody was arguing that

IAMKOREA posted:

i don't think so. i don't think insect based protein is a viable alternative to plant based protein. basic thermodynamics means it will always be less efficient than plant based protein (every time you go up a trophic level you lose a ton of energy) and it is just repulsive to most people. whereas with plant based proteins there are already a million familiar meals you can get people to eat. you can make vegetarian red beans and rice, vegetarian chili, hummus, thai curry with tofu, falafel, black bean burgers... just absolutely tons of delicious and healthy options with plant protein. if you're going to try to get people off of meat, beans are the answer, not crickets.

the climate is dying

your solutions can not rely on 2021 levels of agricultural output and the existence of small scale regional vegan food items doesn't do anything. We aren't just going to give everyone impossible burgers during a famine.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

having an 80 year period of explosive population growth that relies on mechanized agriculture and fertilizer that then also has the supporting climate rapidly die around it is a new invention

is your point that some people can eat some plants at some point? Nobody was arguing that

the climate is dying

your solutions can not rely on 2021 levels of agricultural output and the existence of small scale regional vegan food items doesn't do anything. We aren't just going to give everyone impossible burgers during a famine.

not impossible burgers, plant proteins which include tofu and seitan and a bunch of other things

i mean it won’t happen of course but shifting animal feed agriculture to stuff humans could eat directly would help quite a bit

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

the climate is dying

yeah but bro what do the crickets eat? insects still have to obey the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of mass and no biological process is 100% efficient. if you're going to feed people insects, you still have to grow something to feed the insects. what i'm saying is that instead of growing food for crickets, and feeding it to the crickets, and then grinding the crickets up into disgusting cricket flour... just eat the loving cricket food.

also, referring to beans as a "small scale regional vegan food item" when they've been a staple of most cultures diets for thousands of years is hilariously disingenuous

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

IAMKOREA posted:

yeah but bro what do the crickets eat? insects still have to obey the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of mass and no biological process is 100% efficient. if you're going to feed people insects, you still have to grow something to feed the insects. what i'm saying is that instead of growing food for crickets, and feeding it to the crickets, and then grinding the crickets up into disgusting cricket flour... just eat the loving cricket food.

also, referring to beans as a "small scale regional vegan food item" when they've been a staple of most cultures diets for thousands of years is hilariously disingenuous

killing a plant isn't enough of a rush. i have to kill something that's a bit more "alive" ya know, otherwise can you even really call it food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

That's correct. It can be productive, however the production is self-destruction.

Huh. That's actually an interesting concept that I haven't really thought of. And I really can't say it's incorrect because trying to define anger just least to "you know.... it's when you're angry!"