Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

killing a plant isn't enough of a rush. i have to kill something that's a bit more "alive" ya know, otherwise can you even really call it food?

even industrial ag for vegetables is apparently killing the planet so i got good news for you friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
starting getting the veggie bowls at chipotle anyways, just load up on beans and free guac

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Koirhor posted:

starting getting the veggie bowls at chipotle anyways, just load up on beans and free guac

the tofu topping they have tastes better than all the meat ones too

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

IAMKOREA posted:

yeah but bro what do the crickets eat? insects still have to obey the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of mass and no biological process is 100% efficient. if you're going to feed people insects, you still have to grow something to feed the insects. what i'm saying is that instead of growing food for crickets, and feeding it to the crickets, and then grinding the crickets up into disgusting cricket flour... just eat the loving cricket food.

because we haven’t genetically modified our metabolism and gi tracts to digest grasses and plant matter to synthesize the amino acids/protein crickets do en masse

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Unless posted:

because we haven’t genetically modified our metabolism and gi tracts to digest grasses and plant matter to synthesize the amino acids/protein crickets do en masse

yeah but we have spent thousands of years genetically selecting for plants that create huge amounts of protein that we can digest. they're called beans. and if your climate change induced famine is so bad that you can't grow beans then you also aren't going to be growing crops for chicken feed (which is what they feed farmed crickets) either.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Apparently part of the bug push in China is that they're fed with food waste that otherwise would go into the landfill or composter

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55v_JJ9sBNM

It's been years since I heard about this so I'm sure it's some sort of boondoggle by now

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Sep 24, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
also, beans are nitrogen fixers! they make their own loving fertilizer! (the nitrogen is actually fixed by symbiotic bacteria at the roots but anyway...). they're the perfect food and the perfect crop, no haber bosch nitrates needed.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Here's some tunes for the apocalypse

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Are crickets even that much more efficient at turning feed into meat than chickens?

It's always felt like the problem is the industrial scale animal husbandry, not the animal, and the industrial part makes problems p. much no matter what. Market cost/price based value judgement are also incapable of perceiving those problems.

The Demilich posted:

Loving this socal sky that's filled with the burning of the ancient woods.

I'm so tired of being filled with a deep deep rage. There's no outlet.

The sepia skies really get me every time. It doesn't matter how many times I see it. It's the best part of california going up in smoke.

Just a guaranteed set of bad days whenever this happens.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Lol this reminds me that my boomer mom used to say "gotta eat it before it goes away!" regarding stuff like sushi back in the early 2000s

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

how's this for a market based solution? subsidize helicopter rental costs for wealthy people. we can recoup the costs by loosening maintenance requirements on the helicopters.

Perfect example of "Nudge" behavioral economics!! Get this man a fellowship stat!1

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I feel like we should talk about the company selling old ammo storage bunkers in north Dakota, but what's the point

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Buffer posted:

Are crickets even that much more efficient at turning feed into meat than chickens?

Not dramatically if I'm remembering correctly.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Buffer posted:

yes, as a general rule of thumb the smaller the animal the higher is the efficiency in the mass intake to protein formation process, the food quantities involved are so small they absolutely must make use of every calorie, larger animals allow for larger inefficiencies by compensating through food input scale and fat reserve building

i've made posts about ANTS and EATING ANTS last thread because it's common in certain regions of Brazil, but long story short just eat the goddamn ants you picky babbies

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

I feel like we should talk about the company selling old ammo storage bunkers in north Dakota, but what's the point

I think if you are going to attempt a bunker situation it'd be better to just do it somewhere that gets inhospitable earlier. Targeting one of the northernmost parts of the continental united states means your fantasy bunker society will have the last dregs of humanity in a 2100 world making GBS threads into your air vents or whatever.

Build your bunker underneath soon to be dead farmland in the mid latitude square states and I don't think anyone would disturb your poo poo filled hole in the ground filled with skeletons self sustaining bunker society

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bagual posted:

...but long story short just eat the goddamn ants you picky babbies

"Eat the pennies ants, Quizboy."

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'll eat any edible bug. I'm still pissed that Andrew Zimmern visited a ranch in my state that served him up roasted tarantula but when I tried to track the place down I couldn't find any contact information whatsoever. Gimme da tarantula!

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I think if you are going to attempt a bunker situation it'd be better to just do it somewhere that gets inhospitable earlier. Targeting one of the northernmost parts of the continental united states means your fantasy bunker society will have the last dregs of humanity in a 2100 world making GBS threads into your air vents or whatever.

Build your bunker underneath soon to be dead farmland in the mid latitude square states and I don't think anyone would disturb your poo poo filled hole in the ground filled with skeletons self sustaining bunker society

Thats right, I'll be scavenging in the cracked and dusty expanses of Former Iowa, while millions batter down the Canadian border checkpoints :911:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Absolutely nothing can and will go wrong with a gaggle of heavily-armed and over-supplied people congregating in above-ground bunkers in close proximity to each other.

...if you except "human nature" from the list of things that can and will go wrong.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

your feeble bullets will merely bounce off my impenetrable dome kingdom

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

blatman posted:

your feeble bullets will merely bounce off my impenetrable dome kingdom

(has his posse poo poo in your clearly visible ventilation shaft until either the smell or blockage forces you out)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
:barf:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
pissing and making GBS threads up my ventilation shaft to deflect the posse’s piss and poo poo

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

2030: Crickets farmed for human consumption now make up 90% of insect biomass on Earth

https://twitter.com/glassmeg/status/1441224619847868427?s=21

https://twitter.com/lauratripp57/status/1441189147549573121?s=21

https://twitter.com/marston4ca42/status/1441212395666518016?s=21

Libs responding to the pictures of the climate refugees on the border exactly as you'd expect them to...

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i hate liberals

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

jUsT eAt BeAnS :qq:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-33952-4 posted:

Climate change impacts on food security will involve negative impacts on crop yields, and potentially on the nutritional quality of staple crops. Common bean is the most important grain legume staple crop for human diets and nutrition worldwide. We demonstrate by crop modeling that the majority of current common bean growing areas in southeastern Africa will become unsuitable for bean cultivation by the year 2050. We further demonstrate reductions in yields of available common bean varieties in a field trial that is a climate analogue site for future predicted drought conditions. Little is known regarding the impact of climate change induced abiotic stresses on the nutritional quality of common beans. Our analysis of nutritional and antinutritional compounds reveals that iron levels in common bean grains are reduced under future climate-scenario relevant drought stress conditions. In contrast, the levels of protein, zinc, lead and phytic acid increase in the beans under such drought stress conditions. This indicates that under climate-change induced drought scenarios, future bean servings by 2050 will likely have lower nutritional quality, posing challenges for ongoing climate-proofing of bean production for yields, nutritional quality, human health, and food security.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

https://www.terravivos.com/secure/vivosxpointimages.htm

expectation:

reality:

Starting at only $7,500!!

Also have this bonus map of "danger" red dots are nuclear targets, yellow circles are looters, and the blue swath is "predicted submersion zones"

apparently the rockies are going under water yet somehow the midwest will be fine?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i've played enough fallout to know you gotta be careful with those things. you might get the suck n' gently caress vault, or you might get the plant zombie spores vault, and there's no way to know beforehand. i'll take my chance with the nukes and looters and flooding and ghouls, thank you very much

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

can someone photoshop the view out those windows so everything is on fire? it's just not realistic without

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i've played enough fallout to know you gotta be careful with those things. you might get the suck n' gently caress vault, or you might get the plant zombie spores vault, and there's no way to know beforehand. i'll take my chance with the nukes and looters and flooding and ghouls, thank you very much

best tactic is to try to become a ghoul. one of the lucid ones, not one of the crazy ones

anyhow, happy friday y'all

https://twitter.com/Merman_Melville/status/1364004345394597890?s=20

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Trabisnikof posted:

Also have this bonus map of "danger" red dots are nuclear targets, yellow circles are looters, and the blue swath is "predicted submersion zones"

apparently the rockies are going under water yet somehow the midwest will be fine?

lmao

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm one of the guys at the tip of southern Florida, looting, beneath the polluted waves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr. Pool posted:

I'm one of the guys at the tip of southern Florida, looting, beneath the polluted waves.

It'll be pretty dope, you'll be one of the Smokers from Waterworld.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

climate change is coming for the beans

now its personal

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

It'll be pretty dope, you'll be one of the Smokers from Waterworld.

Hell yeah

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Trabisnikof posted:

where is the city5 conflagration

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've got to be honest that kind of appeals to me. You've got nice tight safe insides when you want them and vast empty outsides when you want them.

Too many neighbours though but I figure most of them will probably off themselves in short order.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've got to be honest that kind of appeals to me. You've got nice tight safe insides when you want them and vast empty outsides when you want them.

Too many neighbours though but I figure most of them will probably off themselves in short order.

you know the hoa is going to make you mow your lawn even after the rest of society has collapsed

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gonna eat a pound of meat tonight, burn baby burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I didn't mean talk about it in terms of personal or goon based practicality...more in terms of lol...what are the predictions on a business boom of a bunch of doomsday profiteers selling these all over to a bunch of insurance salesmen or anyone else making 6+ figures that are dumb enough to think it's a wise investment to carry on their fat and skill-less progeny