Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Organ posted:

Im sure the makita version would be fine. Im not familiar with Bird of Paradise as anything other than small potted plants up here, but if you are looking for something powerful but a little gentler Fiskars makes a big set of bypass loppers with a geared or levered head, so a lot easier on the arms when cutting through really tough stuff. Fairly small jaw opening though to be fair.

e: i think these are the ones we have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/32-in-PowerGear2-Bypass-Titanium-Lopper-394802-1001/205667346

Those Fiskars loppers are top-tier. You can go right through anything you can fit in the jaws. Imo you don't need a saw at all unless you're actually dealing with 2"+ branches, or they're up so high you need a pruner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
The hackzall and geared loppers are the right answers. But if it's a tree you're concerned about damaging with power tools a hand pruning saw is a good option.

Something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-Powertooth-18-in-Pruning-Saw/1001460064

With a good curve on the blade will get through a branch very quickly. If it's a large or long branch make a small relief cut from the bottom before cutting from the top in order to avoid it falling off under its own weight and splintering.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Loppers are the best for anything under 2". I love the fiskars loppers, especially the geared version with bypass blades (preferred over guillotine style). They cut so clean and they're so easy to use. Even using a saw takes a few seconds to cut through a 2" branch but loppers are instant and no batteries.

If you have stuff bigger than 2", one of those fiskars pruning saws are great and cut really well/quick. Battery powered reciprocating saws or small pruning chainsaws well work as powered options but if you don't have much regular use for them they might be expensive tools that don't see much use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

canyoneer posted:

"why does this tree smell like Bradford pear all of a sudden?"

:perfect:

The electrician who came to do some minor work at the house yesterday had a portable bandsaw, little tiny thing (relative to a real bandsaw) that you could carry by hand. I think it was a Makita.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The electrician who came to do some minor work at the house yesterday had a portable bandsaw, little tiny thing (relative to a real bandsaw) that you could carry by hand. I think it was a Makita.

Yeah, portabands are awesome and all the regular colors have their own version at this point. You can even get tables for some of them to turn it into a horizontal band saw.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

What's the most frequent use for them? I see there's a bosch 18v one and I've been thinking about buying it but I'm not sure if it's justified or not given I do have an actual bandsaw

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sous Videodrome posted:

What's the most frequent use for them? I see there's a bosch 18v one and I've been thinking about buying it but I'm not sure if it's justified or not given I do have an actual bandsaw

generall see them beign used cutting Pipe (PVC, Iron, Conduit etc) , or box iron

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

generall see them beign used cutting Pipe (PVC, Iron, Conduit etc) , or box iron

Yeah, all the electricians I know have one for cutting conduit and the like. So much nicer than sawzalls/angle grinders.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Decorative ends on stuff like pergolas and pavilions are a huge use case.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Hmm. I did build a trellis on my deck this summer. Maybe I can justify the portable bandsaw by cutting some decorative ends for it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
More thoughts on impact drivers - I was attaching the MDF top to my table this afternoon. I used my countersink bits to pre-drill and create the countersink hole, because I wanted to be sure I had a smooth surface. I opted for the big driver to screw in the top rather than the impact driver (the small driver was drilling the holes). I found I really appreciated the variable speed on the driver so I could be more precise with how far I drove the screw in (I could have also used the clutch on the driver, but I was doing so few screws that it was easier for me to just eyeball it slowly rather than work to dial in the clutch). Anyway I think the moral of the story is you can never have enough drills, but with 3 (basic driver, impact driver, more powerful driver with hammer mode) I'm feeling like I've got all sorts of bases covered.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I love using my M12 impact and drill because they're lighter and they work great for most jobs.

I just bought a DeWalt 20v framing nailer that I can't wait to use tonight. Hopefully it works about as well as air.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

"why does this tree smell like Bradford pear all of a sudden?"

Nice!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Captain Organ posted:

Im sure the makita version would be fine. Im not familiar with Bird of Paradise as anything other than small potted plants up here, but if you are looking for something powerful but a little gentler Fiskars makes a big set of bypass loppers with a geared or levered head, so a lot easier on the arms when cutting through really tough stuff. Fairly small jaw opening though to be fair.

e: i think these are the ones we have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/32-in-PowerGear2-Bypass-Titanium-Lopper-394802-1001/205667346

Just to add in, I have those loppers and they are great, if you can fit it at least partially in the jaws you can easily cut it. (Even stuff that is two big that you can hit from multiple sides) My wife tried them; and was like "holy poo poo these are awesome, why have I never used them?" :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of, does anyone have any tool recommendations for removing palm fronds? Loppers work ok but I have some taller ones that I’m using a pole chain saw and the stringy fronds get tangled up in the chain pretty easily.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

FCKGW posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have any tool recommendations for removing palm fronds? Loppers work ok but I have some taller ones that I’m using a pole chain saw and the stringy fronds get tangled up in the chain pretty easily.

pruning saw with a lopper head attached would be my first try. You can get them up to 12-15ft long at just about any hardware store, and there are modular ones thatll go higher than that, though they are unwieldy imo

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars...-1002/300412758

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I want a decent high volume low pressure inflator for blowing up inflatable boats and air mattresses. I've heard good things about the little Ryobi one, and it's like $30 for the bare tool.
I don't have any green batteries, but I am in the DeWalt ecosystem. I don't like the idea of the DeWalt inflator, because it's one of the much larger ones that does high pressure tires too and is less portable.
I'm debating between buying into the Ryobi batteries or using one of those adapters that will let me use my existing batteries. Any experience with those? I don't want to burn down my house or trash my batteries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I want a decent high volume low pressure inflator for blowing up inflatable boats and air mattresses. I've heard good things about the little Ryobi one, and it's like $30 for the bare tool.
I don't have any green batteries, but I am in the DeWalt ecosystem. I don't like the idea of the DeWalt inflator, because it's one of the much larger ones that does high pressure tires too and is less portable.
I'm debating between buying into the Ryobi batteries or using one of those adapters that will let me use my existing batteries. Any experience with those? I don't want to burn down my house or trash my batteries.

The smallest dewalt "leaf blower" comes with inflator tips.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

canyoneer posted:

I just use the emergency inflator in my car for this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RM5D9C3

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

canyoneer posted:

The adapters are simple, they literally connect battery terminals to tool terminals, they should be fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

The adapters are simple, they literally connect battery terminals to tool terminals, they should be fine.

You'd think, but even the legit dewalt ones are garbage.

The dewalt one to run 18v tools on 20v batteries have multiple design flaws. They kill any battery you leave on them because there is something running inside the adapter at all times (supposedly to keep you from putting a 20v battery in the adapter into an 18v charger) and under heavy sustained load like using a sawzall something inside of them explodes. I say "something" because it's literally just burnt piece rolling around inside the adapter when this happens with a burnt crater on the pcb. I've had TWO of these blow up on me in exactly the same way.

So yeah, no, they aren't necessarily as simple and trouble free as you seem to think.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's stuff like the battery management system that different brands locate in different places (batteries vs chargers and/or tools) which make the whole thing a little complicated.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have such a newfound appreciation for toolboxes. My pops brought up a smaller one that I made in 8th grade shop class (lol) and it's been ace while ripping up carpet.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got one of those contractor backpacks with the hard rubber bottom and I don't think I can go back to toolboxes anymore. It's so much more convenient to get tools out of and move around.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Nothing like a handmade wooden toolbox, though. You feel like a drat craftsman walking around your "everyday" tools in one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

You'd think, but even the legit dewalt ones are garbage.

The dewalt one to run 18v tools on 20v batteries have multiple design flaws. They kill any battery you leave on them because there is something running inside the adapter at all times (supposedly to keep you from putting a 20v battery in the adapter into an 18v charger) and under heavy sustained load like using a sawzall something inside of them explodes. I say "something" because it's literally just burnt piece rolling around inside the adapter when this happens with a burnt crater on the pcb. I've had TWO of these blow up on me in exactly the same way.

So yeah, no, they aren't necessarily as simple and trouble free as you seem to think.

Okay wow I take it back, I wasn't considering the idea of charging via an adapter. I change my advice to don't get these.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Literally A Person posted:

Nothing like a handmade wooden toolbox, though. You feel like a drat craftsman walking around your "everyday" tools in one.

My father built these for himself as a fresh lieutenant out of West Point and at some point in the last 45+ years they had been shelved. My dad’s wish was that I take any and all tools that I wanted out his substantial workshop, and these were the first on the pile.

I’m saving them for the twin boys for when they are old enough to have and take care of tools. They weren’t old enough to remember grandpa but they can have something to connect them to him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic posted:

They kill any battery you leave on them because there is something running inside the adapter at all times (supposedly to keep you from putting a 20v battery in the adapter into an 18v charger)

wtf DeWalt just use a diode. You want the small voltage drop anyway!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I used this one before I got my Ryobi one (I have green batteries). works well enough for general inflationary needs
https://www.target.com/p/intex-12-volt-quick-fill-dc-car-electric-23-cfm-inflatable-float-air-bed-pump/-/A-76127634

Johnny Truant posted:

I have such a newfound appreciation for toolboxes. My pops brought up a smaller one that I made in 8th grade shop class (lol) and it's been ace while ripping up carpet.

I have one "nice" portable box and some of the $6 Harbor freight "go bags" for tools on a shelf on my workbench. One for plumbing, one for electrical, one for general work and the nice one is used as my General Purpose tote poo poo around for projects so Everything else I need gets carried and then all the random poo poo i needed to grab after gets gets tossed in it and put away.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

devmd01 posted:

My father built these for himself as a fresh lieutenant out of West Point and at some point in the last 45+ years they had been shelved. My dad’s wish was that I take any and all tools that I wanted out his substantial workshop, and these were the first on the pile.

I’m saving them for the twin boys for when they are old enough to have and take care of tools. They weren’t old enough to remember grandpa but they can have something to connect them to him.

I've been meaning to make a couple of these for ages now, so simple and useful.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

devmd01 posted:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've been meaning to make a couple of these for ages now, so simple and useful.

Oh hey, whatup

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I should try to find the steel tool box I made in high school shop class. I think I was a junior in highschool and seeing flat sheet metal come together to be a tool box was super cool. Its durable as hell and I painted it olive green for some reason. I still remember the mistakes I made on it but it works just fine. Looking back on it, I was able to cut and bend, grind, use a lathe and a milling machine, plasma/torch cut, braise/spot/mig/arc weld, sand cast aluminum from building the molds to pouring the crucible of molten metal. God, shop class was so fun. For whatever reason I enjoyed metal working much more than woods.

My shop teacher had a phrase "ANNE FRANK" for when the principal was coming by so that everybody would put away food/drink/cigarettes for people smoking out back and not get busted. We worked on peoples cars in class. There was a reason I took shop all 4 years of highschool. One of the best teachers I ever had.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Harbor Freight has this set of four nested toolboxes for under $20 that I picked up. The big one is where I stash my paint supplies and the smallest one is where I stash my sharpening stuff. Haven't figured out the other two yet.

Also I bought a Makita track saw so now I'm a two battery color man...and also it comes with a couple Systainer boxes so I might find myself a reason to grab a few of those from Tanos too.

I hate money. But I like organizing!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My one shop teacher always told us "you don't have to actually do anything just look busy" in case some school administrator came around or whatever.

That was probably one of the best things to learn before going into the real world.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Going to post this here and in the AI tools thread:

Short Vidya about how Tekton makes their angle wrenches.
https://www.tekton.com/how-we-make-...b9282-128383256

Thought y'all might be interested in seeing it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That was pretty cool and now I need another set of wrenches. And a bigger box.....and....drat you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's like solving traffic by building more lanes, except worse.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

wesleywillis posted:

Going to post this here and in the AI tools thread:

Short Vidya about how Tekton makes their angle wrenches.
https://www.tekton.com/how-we-make-...b9282-128383256

Thought y'all might be interested in seeing it.

Thanks!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Die grinder rec's anyone? I'm looking at the dewalt 20v max DCG426B almost half off on amazon right now purely on price (189 down to 113, 40% off for some reason??). Usually I use an old huge Milwaukee heavy duty but that is a little overkill for what I'll be doing which is using little 1/4" burrs for carving wood. I care more about function and price than cordless. Thoughts? Anything you use that you love?
edit: I like the control a paddle gives you over switch if that is possible

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Die grinder rec's anyone? I'm looking at the dewalt 20v max DCG426B almost half off on amazon right now purely on price (189 down to 113, 40% off for some reason??). Usually I use an old huge Milwaukee heavy duty but that is a little overkill for what I'll be doing which is using little 1/4" burrs for carving wood. I care more about function and price than cordless. Thoughts? Anything you use that you love?
edit: I like the control a paddle gives you over switch if that is possible

I would think the weight of a battery would make using a die grinder on small stuff really annoying for longer periods. Do you have a big compressor/is pneumatic an option?